Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2020 7:09:18 PM EDT
Our next Southern Indiana Battle Buddies Ruck will be held Saturday, March 28 at 1pm.
Meetup location will be at Nichols-Wilson Park in Scottsburg, IN. (Same location as previous rucks). For info on the previous ruck, look here

This is our third Battle Buddy event, and like before, we’re striving to have any many participants as possible meet the ABB standard of 45lb dry pack weight. That’s not a requirement to attend, so bring as much weight as you can confidently ruck for six miles, while keeping a minimum 3mph pace.
For those that have completed previous rucks with the prescribed weight, this will be another qualifying ruck to achieve a 3rd class American Battle Buddy rating. More information on the American Battle Buddies can be found here

This will most likely be our last ruck at this location for a while, as we’re hoping to try out some other, more challenging, hike locations.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Obligatory tag:

@blackrifledan
@craig24680
@johnnypantz
@Jinxters
@boatbuilder
@Vespid_Wasp
@LuvBushMaster
@DuCATTi
@7255
@Ressurrected
@Ben
@One_Slayer
@Axleman94
@compuvette
@BOOST
@CYB29
@Garyindiane
@jasonTTKA
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Boomshakalaka.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I swear, y’all just gonna keep scheduling these for when I’m driving to or from GA, aren’t you?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I swear, y’all just gonna keep scheduling these for when I’m driving to or from GA, aren’t you?
View Quote
Crap. Keep this up, and I’ll start to think you’re avoiding us.

You’re just gonna have to organize an Indy ruck. We’ll carpool up to suffer with you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m going to try to make it down for this one.  We have a BB group in Illinois that’s pretty active but it would be cool to meet up with another group and see how things are coming together for them.  We have a home brew Navy PT test scheduled for that Sunday (29th) so if anyone from the IN group wanted to make the trip they could check that box for their next rating.  It’s going to be in the north central part of IL, though.  Probably in the Pontiac area.  That’s a haul from southern IN.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m going to try to make it down for this one.  We have a BB group in Illinois that’s pretty active but it would be cool to meet up with another group and see how things are coming together for them.  We have a home brew Navy PT test scheduled for that Sunday (29th) so if anyone from the IN group wanted to make the trip they could check that box for their next rating.  It’s going to be in the north central part of IL, though.  Probably in the Pontiac area.  That’s a haul from southern IN.
View Quote
Great.
Hope to have you sometime. Great idea about scheduling a Navy PT test as well. I suppose I need to set that as a new goal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang.  It’s looking like I won’t make it down for this hike after all   I mixed up my schedule and forgot that I have a 2-gun match that I’m RSOing that day.  Maybe I can make the next one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Great.
Hope to have you sometime. Great idea about scheduling a Navy PT test as well. I suppose I need to set that as a new goal.
View Quote
It’s half of the army’s PT standard. You’d crush it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I was summoned?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was summoned?
View Quote

Yes. Yes you were.
Better late than never.

You still gonna make it Saturday? The weather looks lovely
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes. Yes you were.
Better late than never.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was summoned?

Yes. Yes you were.
Better late than never.

I noticed, something about seventy degrees and severe thunderstorms

I imagine I'll still be there, get that third hike in. It'll be great weather!

Just have to keep it to what, ten or fewer? And social distancing?

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I noticed, something about seventy degrees and severe thunderstorms

I imagine I'll still be there, get that third hike in. It'll be great weather!

Just have to keep it to what, ten or fewer? And social distancing?

View Quote

Will only call it off if there’s an imminent thread of severe weather (keep an eye on this thread for updates).
Sadly, no after-hike Mexican food this time  

And yes. As always, there will be lots of social distancing. So much distance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#13]
1-day warning

Barring severe weather, we’re a go for tomorrow.
Imminent severe weather is the only reason we’d cancel. Watch this thread, as I’d post a cancellation by 10am if needed. No news means we’re a go.

@blackrifledan
@craig24680
@johnnypantz
@Jinxters
@boatbuilder
@Vespid_Wasp
@LuvBushMaster
@DuCATTi
@7255
@Ressurrected
@Ben
@One_Slayer
@Axleman94
@compuvette
@BOOST
@CYB29
@Garyindiane
@jasonTTKA
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeet
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The 2-gun match at which I was originally scheduled to RSO has been cancelled so my schedule is clear tomorrow.  I'll see you guys at 1:00, ready to embrace the suck since it looks like the weather will be lousy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeet
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The 2-gun match at which I was originally scheduled to RSO has been cancelled so my schedule is clear tomorrow.  I'll see you guys at 1:00, ready to embrace the suck since it looks like the weather will be lousy.
View Quote

Great!
We’ll see ya there  

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys, another IL BB planning on heading down. You don't know me but RadBaron does. Looking forward to some new faces.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I heard there’s going to be severe overcast. Hope every one can make it!
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I heard there’s going to be severe overcast. Hope every one can make it!
View Quote

Yup.
The weather forecast took a turn for the better. All systems go
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Good hike today, guys.  Thanks for having me.  It was cool to meet up with another BB group and compare notes, so to speak.  It's awesome that the Indiana group has so much participation.  I'll be back for sure.
We did some talking about radios today.  @Jinxsters and anyone else looking to get their first radio, here's a link to the Yaesu FT-65R that I've been using.  Ham Radio Outlet is a good company to deal with.
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015573
It's a good entry level HT that doesn't cost much and it's a big step up in quality from the $25 Baofengs that are so popular.  They're on sale right now for $80.  I've been happy with mine.  It's just a good quality, no frills, inexpensive, dual band radio.

ETA:  Ben from the Virginia Battle Buddies is recommending this radio for BB use:  TYT MD-UV390
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6ZX3VN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's more expensive than the Yaesu and probably a step down in overall quality but it has DMR capability and FWIW I get the impression that Ben thinks that's important.  The more ham-centric guys in the ILBB are working through the DMR thing right now.  I ordered one of these TYT radios because I think we're going to be trying to move to DMR for our purposes.  If nothing else it will make it so that any schmoe with a Baofeng can't listen in on our comms.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Great meeting you guys and thanks for having me. We’ll have to do more of these interstate hikes.

ETA, DMR is definitely worth looking into before you invest in a radio. It’s obviously not necessary for your group comms, but as Baron mentioned, Ben is pushing things that direction. If your whole group goes that way, you’ll cut out the analog guys from being able to listen in ;)
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great meeting you guys and thanks for having me. We’ll have to do more of these interstate hikes.

View Quote

Wish I could have met up with you today in IN, since I’m planning on catching one of your hikes in IL sometime in the near future.

I spent my afternoon doing a short 3 mile ruck here in Louisville with the wife and kid. Perfect weather, but we had some other plans that meant we couldn’t spend a bunch of time hiking today.

Good on y’all for making the trek to Scottsburg, and nice job to everybody who got out there today and logged some miles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, your name actually came up today, wish I would have known you were so local to today’s hike. Have your plans to head north this Spring survived all this Corvid crap?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good hike today, guys.  Thanks for having me.  It was cool to meet up with another BB group and compare notes, so to speak.  It's awesome that the Indiana group has so much participation.  I'll be back for sure.
We did some talking about radios today.  @Jinxsters and anyone else looking to get their first radio, here's a link to the Yaesu FT-65R that I've been using.  Ham Radio Outlet is a good company to deal with.
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015573
It's a good entry level HT that doesn't cost much and it's a big step up in quality from the $25 Baofengs that are so popular.  They're on sale right now for $80.  I've been happy with mine.  It's just a good quality, no frills, inexpensive, dual band radio.

ETA:  Ben from the Virginia Battle Buddies is recommending this radio for BB use:  TYT MD-UV390
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6ZX3VN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's more expensive than the Yaesu and probably a step down in overall quality but it has DMR capability and FWIW I get the impression that Ben thinks that's important.  The more ham-centric guys in the ILBB are working through the DMR thing right now.  I ordered one of these TYT radios because I think we're going to be trying to move to DMR for our purposes.  If nothing else it will make it so that any schmoe with a Baofeng can't listen in on our comms.
View Quote

Thanks man. It was a pleasure meeting you. You destroyed it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Another successful Battle Buddy hike today. Thanks to all who made it out for some quality social distancing.
We had nine total hikers, of which eight carried at least 45# packs. All completed in under two hours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Illinois Battle Buddies have a hike planned for next Sunday at Allerton Park outside of Monticello, IL.  I know it's a long haul for you guys but if you're itching to hike here's the thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Illinois-Battle-Buddies-Hike-Sunday-March-29-Allerton-Park-Monticello/23-642590/
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, your name actually came up today, wish I would have known you were so local to today’s hike. Have your plans to head north this Spring survived all this Corvid crap?
View Quote

We’ll be going up there when this is all done, for sure.  If all this has settled down by May, we’ll probably be in Illinois in May or June.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Illinois Battle Buddies have a hike planned for next Sunday at Allerton Park outside of Monticello, IL.  I know it's a long haul for you guys but if you're itching to hike here's the thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Illinois-Battle-Buddies-Hike-Sunday-March-29-Allerton-Park-Monticello/23-642590/
View Quote

This has nothing to do with BB but I think we Have met before. Your screen name rings a bell  Back in 2015 at the adventure rider NAK ride in Southern Indiana?  You was riding a KDX.

I'm EBR458 on advrider and was one of the guys that put that ride on.

Alan
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This has nothing to do with BB but I think we Have met before. Your screen name rings a bell  Back in 2015 at the adventure rider NAK ride in Southern Indiana?  You was riding a KDX.

I'm EBR458 on advrider and was one of the guys that put that ride on.

Alan
View Quote

Haha.  Hell yeah.  That was me.  I remember talking to you about big bore ARs and other cool stuff.  Man, that ride was a lot of fun.   Good to talk to ya again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top