Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2020 7:19:02 PM EDT
A few locals have expressed an interest in the Battle Buddy challenge, as discussed Here.
As to not completely hijack the other thread, let’s get this going in one of its own.

It’s a great concept, and if there’s enough interest, I would like to organize a qualifying hike. If all goes well, perhaps we can organize more activities.

A big part of the challenge is to get at least three people out for a 6-mile hike, at a minimum 3mph pace, while carrying a 45lb pack. Doable, but takes a decent level of commitment to both show up (obstacle 0), and embrace the suck for a couple hours.

If we can get some people on-board, I’ve ID’d a suitable place where we could hike, plus an alternate if that falls through. It’s a suburban walking/running path located approx 30 miles North of Louisville, just off I-65. Treating it as an out-and-back loop, we can get 6 miles. Of course, I’m flexible and am open to alternatives. The main thing is to get out and move, while carrying heavy things.

So...... let’s see a show of hands.

TLDR
Let’s get off the couch, and go carry heavy stuff.

Edit. Corrected number of required participants.

*** Edit to Update 1-20-2020 ***

Our first American Battle Buddy hike is scheduled for Saturday, February 1st at 1pm in Scottsburg, IN. Exact meetup location will be posted here at a later date. Keep watching for details.

This hike will take place on a paved, walking/running path within city limits. It will be an “out-and-back” hike, so no vehicle staging required. There will be plenty of parking.

In the spirit of the American Battle Buddy Challenge, all participants are encouraged to meet the pack weight requirement of 45 pounds. There will be a weigh-in before the hike starts to verify we have enough carrying the prescribed weight. We want to be sure enough of us meet the challenge requirements.

If you have any questions, post ‘em up, or shoot me a message.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m down. I have every other Saturday off, so if we can somehow schedule around that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m down. I have every other Saturday off, so if we can somehow schedule around that.
View Quote
Awesome. I’m sure we can make it work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Awesome. I’m sure we can make it work.
View Quote
I also have 100 hours of vacation time as well. I work nights so I just need a heads up. I work nights (7p to 7a) to so I’ll have to shift my sleep a little.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmm double tap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I live 50 miles north of Louisville , sadly my days of hiking carrying weight have passed me by. It is a great ideal so hope you guys can do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
In.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In.
View Quote
That’s great to hear. My plan is to give anyone interested a few weeks to chime in, then work out a weekend to make this happen.

In the meantime. I suggest everyone get out on their own with a pack, and start getting some miles in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey buddy
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s great to hear. My plan is to give anyone interested a few weeks to chime in, then work out a weekend to make this happen.

In the meantime. I suggest everyone get out on their own with a pack, and start getting some miles in.
View Quote
I’m in horrible shape, but I can do this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A few locals have expressed an interest in the Battle Buddy challenge, as discussed Here.
As to not completely hijack the other thread, let’s get this going in one of its own.

It’s a great concept, and if there’s enough interest, I would like to organize a qualifying hike. If all goes well, perhaps we can organize more activities.

A big part of the challenge is to get at least four people out for a 6-mile hike, at a minimum 3mph pace, while carrying a 45lb pack. Doable, but takes a decent level of commitment to both show up (obstacle 0), and embrace the suck for a couple hours.

If we can get some people on-board, I’ve ID’d a suitable place where we could hike, plus an alternate if that falls through. It’s a suburban walking/running path located approx 30 miles North of Louisville, just off I-65. Treating it as an out-and-back loop, we can get 6 miles. Of course, I’m flexible and am open to alternatives. The main thing is to get out and move, while carrying heavy things.

So...... let’s see a show of hands.

TLDR
Let’s get off the couch, and go carry heavy stuff.
View Quote
Note: three people is the minimum, not four. The standard is the hiker claiming a qualified hike, and two witnesses who completed it with them. They don't even have to be people from ARFCOM!

Good luck, and we hope to see you at the Warfighter Challenge!
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Note: three people is the minimum, not four. The standard is the hiker claiming a qualified hike, and two witnesses who completed it with them. They don't even have to be people from ARFCOM!

Good luck, and we hope to see you at the Warfighter Challenge!
View Quote
@Ben

Thanks for the clarification. I read “with at least three participants not related to you” to mean four total.

We’ll make it happen.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Ben

Thanks for the clarification. I read “with at least three participants not related to you” to mean four total.

We’ll make it happen.

Thanks again.
View Quote
Good catch- corrected. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
So do we have the people? I have feb 1st off. That gives everyone two weeks notice. I may be able to use a vacation day if we need to do this sooner, or later.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So do we have the people? I have feb 1st off. That gives everyone two weeks notice. I may be able to use a vacation day if we need to do this sooner, or later.
View Quote
Feb 1 looks free for me as well. That’s two.

Let’s see a show of hands. Who else could make it on the 1st?
It would be regardless of weather, so if we lock in the date, it’s gonna happen rain, snow or shine.

@jinxters
@ReSSurrected
@7255
@craig24680
@ducatti
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm down for 2-1-20...
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Literally taking a hike on Saturday the first? Okay.

This is with 30lbs in a pack? I guess I need a pack for this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Literally taking a hike on Saturday the first? Okay.

This is with 30lbs in a pack? I guess I need a pack for this.
View Quote
Yup. Saturday Feb 1. Outside.
Exact meetup time and location to be determined.

And no. 45 pounds. Fo-tay, plus fife.

Eta. I can round up a spare pack, if that’s holding anyone back. But, I recommend getting a good pack that fits you well, and can carry some weight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup. Saturday Feb 1. Outside.
Exact meetup time and location to be determined.

And no. 45 pounds. Fo-tay, plus fife.

Eta. I can round up a spare pack, if that’s holding anyone back. But, I recommend getting a good pack that fits you well, and can carry some weight.
View Quote
Can we substitute weight from the pack with an PC? Or is it just pack and no gear?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can we substitute weight from the pack with an PC? Or is it just pack and no gear?
View Quote
I’m going with 45lbs total gear weight. So PC, plus pack is Kosher in my book. (Can’t find anything forbidding it). I’ll bring a scale, and we’ll weigh everyone with and without gear to make it official.

I’d loaded 45 into my pack this evening for a little warm up this week, but you’ve inspired me. I may throw the PC on and give it a spin. It’s been a while since I’ve wore it with a pack.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’m going with 45lbs total gear weight. So PC, plus pack is Kosher in my book. (Can’t find anything forbidding it). I’ll bring a scale, and we’ll weigh everyone with and without gear to make it official.

I’d loaded 45 into my pack this evening for a little warm up this week, but you’ve inspired me. I may throw the PC on and give it a spin. It’s been a while since I’ve wore it with a pack.
View Quote
Fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m in!
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
SOUTHERN INDIANA BATTLE BUDDIES!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s coming together! Hopefully we get a decent turnout and keep this rolling.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's good. Once you get a good solid crew, the new guys are usually pre-vetted by existing guys.

We've had almost zero "Who the heck is that?" types. Plus usually arfcommers know another arfcommer irl
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
1 hour 45 mins from me, consider me in. If anyone else from the Indianapolis area wants to carpool, I’ll open a seat or two
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
1 hour 45 mins from me, consider me in. If anyone else from the Indianapolis area wants to carpool, I’ll open a seat or two
View Quote
Most excellent!
Glad you’re gonna make it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I am near Scott County, and plan to attend.

I also have some private land with enough room to host an event where we could easily get 6 miles in with a few loops and either incorporate some shooting or simply let guys carry their gear including rifles and pistols to see how their setup works while rucking a decent distance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I can support financially, but unless you all want to practice CPR, I should probably skip the March. I should be back in shape around may or so
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am near Scott County, and plan to attend.

I also have some private land with enough room to host an event where we could easily get 6 miles in with a few loops and either incorporate some shooting or simply let guys carry their gear including rifles and pistols to see how their setup works while rucking a decent distance.
View Quote
Awesome!
That’s great to hear, and very gracious to offer your property up for possible future events. Our hike in town limits us to packs/PCs only, as not to rustle any jimmies. Being able to hike with rifles and gear would be great, and a wonderful learning opportunity.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Cross posting from Ohio:

One helpful piece of advice gentlemen.

Nuke the signal group, nuke the email list, nuke the phone number list.

Anybody can just ask to be added and might be there to just data mine. Whether it's lefties or the government. Keep communication to arfcom threads and PMs at first

One of the BB groups in Southern Virginia had a guy interested, he got all the information, then ghosted. They are still working on who he is and why he wanted the information.

AFTER you've been on several hikes with someone, THEN swap information. Keep that information only to guys that have actually showed up and rucked. Is it possible ANTIFA or the FBI could just go on four 6 mile hikes and then get your info? Yeah, but it's much less likely.

If you have a signal group or phone or email list you're just aggregating information for guys you don't know, with unknown intentions.

You'll find much more guys express interest in going then guys who ACTUALLY show up and ruck. Less still that will be constantly showing.

Protect your information. I know we're just hiking and exercise isn't illegal, but still. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions about anything
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cross posting from Ohio:

Anybody can just ask to be added and might be there to just data mine. Whether it's lefties or the government. Keep communication to arfcom threads and PMs at first

One of the BB groups in Southern Virginia had a guy interested, he got all the information, then ghosted. They are still working on who he is and why he wanted the information.

AFTER you've been on several hikes with someone, THEN swap information. Keep that information only to guys that have actually showed up and rucked. Is it possible ANTIFA or the FBI could just go on four 6 mile hikes and then get your info? Yeah, but it's much less likely.

If you have a signal group or phone or email list you're just aggregating information for guys you don't know, with unknown intentions.

You'll find much more guys express interest in going then guys who ACTUALLY show up and ruck. Less still that will be constantly showing.

Protect your information. I know we're just hiking and exercise isn't illegal, but still. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions about anything
View Quote
I’m here posting in the thread, which means everyone got added to three extra lists already
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’m here posting in the thread, which means everyone got added to three extra lists already
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cross posting from Ohio:

Screen names are cool.

But you don't want just any random guy having your phone number and email.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Screen names are cool.

But you don't want just any random guy having your phone number and email.
View Quote
Copy that. And I appreciate you sharing your and other’s experience. All good info to keep in mind for both this type of event, plus most other freedom-oriented endeavors.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cross posting from Ohio:

View Quote
Meh Damon_23 and I are friends on Facebook , and while he does look like an FBI agent I’m going to use this opportunity to learn off of him. He’s got a lot of knowledge on telecommunications (ham radio) and from what I know actually been involved in matches.

I’m more worried about scammers or people stealing my stuff. It’s why at this time until I get to know people I’m putting hold on holding shoots at my house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Alright so I figured I would experiment tonight. Figured I’d go up to the gym and do something I very rarely do. Walk on the treadmill. Now just for some background info on my exercise routine. In my head I work out like a beast, and what I mean by that is I like to pick up really heavy things and put those heavy things back down all within an hour time limit. My cardio vascular routine is me only taking about 45-60 second breaks in between my sets.

So I figured since we’re doing a hike I should see what I can do since it’s been like two years since I put my hiking boots on. For starters today, my dumbass only brought a bottle of water, had that completely gone by the first mile.

I did a 2% incline bouncing between 3 and 3.2 mph. Then 1.0 incline with the same on the 2nd, and I bounced around 1.0 to 2.0 incline on the third going up to Julius Caesar speeds (3.5 mph).

Now the tread mill at 60 minutes started slowing down to 2.3 every 30 seconds. I couldn’t figure why it was doing that, but by that time I was super thirsty and a little frustrated. I made it out at around 3.4 miles for my test run.

Attachment Attached File

So I carried about 30lbs on this walk. My g19 with two fully loaded mags, and my pack as seen here in the picture.

Attachment Attached File

My final assessment with the extra water I could do it. My feet are a little salty but other than that I’m good. If you’re not in decent shape or you think this is going to be a cake walk you’re either just gifted physically and athletically, or this hikes going to kick your ass, and you just don't know it yet.

Good luck!

PS my heart rate stayed around 140 to 145 the times I did check it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My final assessment with the extra water I could do it. My feet are a little salty but other than that I’m good. If you’re not in decent shape or you think this is going to be a cake walk you’re either just gifted physically and athletically, or this hikes going to kick your ass, and you just don't know it yet.

Good luck!

PS my heart rate stayed around 140 to 145 the times I did check it.
View Quote
Great post, @Jinxsters
Thanks for sharing. Great advice as well. I highly recommend anyone planning to attend to get out and walk a few miles with weight. Keep in mind the pace we plan to keep, and adjust both your pack weight and expectations accordingly.
We will be keeping the minimum pace on the 1st, so if you’re iffy about the weight, pack light. We will have more hikes, so plenty of time to build up to the full weight. This is about self-improvement, not proving anything to others.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Great post, @Jinxsters
Thanks for sharing. Great advice as well. I highly recommend anyone planning to attend to get out and walk a few miles with weight. Keep in mind the pace we plan to keep, and adjust both your pack weight and expectations accordingly.
We will be keeping the minimum pace on the 1st, so if you’re iffy about the weight, pack light. We will have more hikes, so plenty of time to build up to the full weight. This is about self-improvement, not proving anything to others.
View Quote
I definitely recommend trying it before going even if it’s just half. Just remember the first two miles is what gets to you. The other four miles will remind you what you did to yourself later on throughout the day.

Also another tip make sure your pack isn’t sagging or hanging low on your back. You want it as close to your upper and middle back as possible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I definitely recommend trying it before going even if it’s just half. Just remember the first two miles is what gets to you. The other four miles will remind you what you did to yourself later on throughout the day.

Also another tip make sure your pack isn’t sagging or hanging low on your back. You want it as close to your upper and middle back as possible.
View Quote
You mean bruising yourself in the kidney region isn’t considered fun?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You mean bruising yourself in the kidney region isn’t considered fun?
View Quote
No. No it isn’t.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No. No it isn’t.
View Quote
Used to have a set of steel plates that I would wear while running, learned the first day that I needed to make changes to my PC that I had
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#42]
If you'll allow an overweight softie, I'll be happy to join you!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you'll allow an overweight softie, I'll be happy to join you!
View Quote
You’re more than welcome, @craig24680.
I suggest you pack light, if you haven’t trained much.
In the meantime, go log some miles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok everyone.
Meetup point is the parking lot adjacent to the Scott County YMCA and Wilson Park. It’s only 5 minutes from the interstate, and very easy to locate. Just google the YMCA, and find the adjacent park.

Plenty of parking, plus a shelter house we can utilize if needed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Man I really would love to make it to this but I'm recovering from surgery.
I normally carry around 30lbs or so in my hunting pack and it's a half mile to my tree stand ,I always have a full size 1911 on me so I'm going to try my best to get in shape for the next one. I have some pretty serious health issues but I stay in shape so I'm not worried about that.
I'll follow this and I'll see you guys at the next one.
Dan
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Man I really would love to make it to this but I'm recovering from surgery.
I normally carry around 30lbs or so in my hunting pack and it's a half mile to my tree stand ,I always have a full size 1911 on me so I'm going to try my best to get in shape for the next one. I have some pretty serious health issues but I stay in shape so I'm not worried about that.
I'll follow this and I'll see you guys at the next one.
Dan
View Quote
Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery, and hope you can join us sometime.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#47]
All
After confirming with @Ben in the original American Battle Buddies thread here , I wanted to pass along that PC’s and related gear do NOT count toward the 45lb pack requirement (unless carried in the pack itself). I was mistaken, and I apologize for the miscommunication.
You can wear your PCs, but will still need to have 45lbs in your pack (if attempting an official ABB qualifying hike). If not going for a qualifying hike, carry what you feel will allow you to cover 6 miles in two hours. Those of us going for the challenge will be working hard to keep that pace, and appreciate everyone knowing their limitations in advance. As stated before, this challenge is about self-improvement, not proving yourself to others. Showing up, and putting in the miles is what’s important at this point.

I’m tagging everyone who’s chimed in on this thread, plus sending links to everyone who’ve contacted me offline. Please forward to anyone that you’ve invited.
Can’t wait to see everyone.

Thanks!

@blackrifledan
@craig24680
@johnnypantz
@Jinxters
@whiskersthecat
@boatbuilder
@Vespid_Wasp
@LuvBushMaster
@DuCATTi
@7255
@Ressurrected
@Ben
@One_Slayer
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I encourage you guys to bring a PC for multiple reasons.

I brought one on my second hike. Ben looked at it and laughed. It was a REALLY shitty PC. Like below Condor tier. We tried making adjustments to no avail. But guess what? Still fit in my ruck. So if you find you hate your PC, stick it in your ruck. Let's say you're three miles in... who cares? Now you know it sucks and you can just stow it.

On that point, go to a Cola Warrior event. I attended by myself, knowing no one, and on standby. That means I wasn't even guaranteed to run. You want to see and check out some gear? Oh man, it's a gear fest. I tried on a Crye JPC, Esstac ASS, Esstac Daeodon and a few others. I also got to look and feel different plates. This helped IMMENSELY in my gear decisions.

Internet is good but real life is better.

Good on you guys for getting out there and hiking. Another awesome part about hiking is discussions about gear. Even dumb stuff like socks. Protip, don't wear regular white athletic socks, you'll get blisters. Use nice heavy socks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#49]
See you there!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
See you there!
View Quote
This might be my favorite first post ever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top