Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:36:19 PM EST
I have been recently shooting my .22's a lot more (In addition to playing with my RC Trucks) because that is all I can afford to do. Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:07:55 PM EST
i just dont shoot much at all. Luckily my realtor likes guns, has lots of money, but no guns, and hes more than happy to pay for ammo for a range trip. Thats the only thing saving me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:15:41 PM EST
Yeah, if I was still as motivated to shoot as I was a few years ago I'd go back to reloading (if I thought I'd shoot enough to justify it). As it is, I'll shoot a box of .45 and 9, then stick to .22lr.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:08:21 PM EST
Ditto. My Kimber's feeling mighty cold...started shooting 9mms more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:20:28 PM EST
I've lost some interest in the bigger caliber stuff.

I've been focusing on my 10/22 along with some precision stuff AND I've also diverted to RC Monster truck too. I picked up a Used Losi LST2.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:33:39 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By JeepWarthog:
Ditto. My Kimber's feeling mighty cold...started shooting 9mms more.

ill give your kimber a nice home :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:43:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 5:44:25 PM EST by JeepWarthog]
You gotta pry it out of my cold dead hands.."Marie" is going to be buried with me when I die!

It's still my carry gun though wouldn't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:02:52 PM EST
Due to surgery I had the first week in May, I can't shoot a damn thing! I bought a new Ruger 10/22 Stainless with a synthetic stock the week before I went into the hospital. Mounted a 3x9 scope on it & laser boresited it & that's all. Waiting for Doc's orders so I can get to shooting it. He did tell me anything with any recoil at all, it could be as long as 18 months before I can shoot it. Well, at least I'm saving ammo. He said I may never be able to shoot my 14" 45/70 T/C Contender again.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:55:53 PM EST
There is nothing wrong with shooting a .22. It is excellent low-cost training that will pay off when you do get to shoot the center-fires.

I am into C&Rs and K98 Mausers (8mm) in particular and they are still affordable to shoot. It feels great to bang away with a real battle rifle and not break the bank.

You can buy a Russian Capture K98 for less than a complete plain jane AR lower or Yugo Mauser for even less. Less is more sometimes
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:14:26 AM EST
I shoot my CZ 452 a lot now. Not just to save $$, but because it is a hoot to shoot, and it really helps me work on my precision shooting mechanics.

I also end up shooting my P-22 a lot for the same reason. I can keep up my shooting mechanics without thinking about how much each bullet costs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:19:24 AM EST
I can't afford to shoot near as much as I would like to...it's a 105 mile round-trip to the range. And when I do egt to go, I shoot my .22 a lot more than my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:44:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By VACaver:
I can't afford to shoot near as much as I would like to...it's a 105 mile round-trip to the range. And when I do egt to go, I shoot my .22 a lot more than my AR's.

HOLY CRAP! where do you live man..that's pretty effin far.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:57:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By JeepWarthog:

Originally Posted By VACaver:

HOLY CRAP! where do you live man..that's pretty effin far.

Roanoke.

I don't want to join the Roanoke Rifle club and refuse to shoot at Pott's Mountain public range. The range I belong to is in Newport...a bit of a hike from Roanoke.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:26:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By dayglo:
I have been recently shooting my .22's a lot more (In addition to playing with my RC Trucks) because that is all I can afford to do. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I'm doing a lot of the same, the Charger, MKII, and MKIII 22/45 have been seeing lots of rounds lately. It's almost as expensive for me to get my T-Maxx out and play, I like to run it a little too hard sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:09:41 PM EST
I have a 10/22 Liberty trainer that I need to get out and use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:50:19 PM EST
Haven't shot on my own time in months.

I have all the parts to make a .22LR Mk18 clone, and still haven't had the time to assemble it!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:22:09 PM EST
good god man newport news .. there's a decent range over here in franklin county. that will save you a min. or 2... i open the back door and let' em rip deffintly a lot less center firs than it used to be...the shop o go to said those p-22 sell like crazy lately ..maybe i sould get one so i can use up more 22lr
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:05:53 PM EST
I haven’t totally stopped shooting centerfire, but nowadays I always take a .22 to the range to fill up some of the time with.

Between the cost of ammo and the cost of gas, shooting has certainly become quite a bit more expensive than it used to be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:15:30 AM EST
I bought a brand new Ruger MKIII in April, I was to the point where that was the only way I could continue to still shoot. My AR sits in the closet, I just got a Glock 19 so I can sometimes shoot 9mm.

Other than those to calibers, all I will be shooting is .22 from now on. Well, I tricked out my MKIII with a VQ sear, Clark trigger and a cheap red dot, so at least I can feel cool when I am shooting it
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:26:34 AM EST
For the people who run RC Trucks I picked up a used T-Maxx and that is what I mostly run right now. I am building an aluminum frame T-Maxx as I pick up parts cheap. The funny thing is that I run my truck at my range when the shooting has ended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:48:45 AM EST
I've been reduced to shooting once every 4-6 weeks instead of twice a month. I'm geting a reloading press to ramp back up in volume, but .22s will be part of my training regimen now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:51:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 2:54:53 AM EST by bmyk]
I got a Ciener for my AR and 5 30 round mags....I also have a High Standard .22lr I shoot also, I would like to find a good deal on a conversion kit for my 1911.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:06:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By smokyj03:
good god man newport news .. there's a decent range over here in franklin county. that will save you a min. or 2... i open the back door and let' em rip deffintly a lot less center firs than it used to be...the shop o go to said those p-22 sell like crazy lately ..maybe i sould get one so i can use up more 22lr

No, not Newport News. Newport...just off 460 on the other side of Blacksburg.

What range are you talking about in Franklin County?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:55:57 AM EST
Maybe I need to get into RC, are you guys using gas powered RC's, because if so, would that not break the bank as far as gas goes?

I am assuming though that it does not take much gas to power those things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:03:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 7:04:35 AM EST by dayglo]
A gallon of Nitro fule costs about $28 at my local hobby shop and lasts me about a month. This is running my RC twice a week but I have not calculated the MPG that I get with the vehicle. This is cheaper than .22. What breaks the bank on RC's is if you buy a new TMAXX from you local hobby shop as they are over $400. There are used ones all over the place usually with tons of hop-ups included.

Any local tracks in the NoVA area?

Originally Posted By UNIT6639:
Maybe I need to get into RC, are you guys using gas powered RC's, because if so, would that not break the bank as far as gas goes?

I am assuming though that it does not take much gas to power those things.
Top Top