Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 4:36:19 PM EDT
I have been recently shooting my .22's a lot more (In addition to playing with my RC Trucks) because that is all I can afford to do.  Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i just dont shoot much at all.  Luckily my realtor likes guns, has lots of money, but no guns, and hes more than happy to pay for ammo for a range trip. Thats the only thing saving me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, if I was still as motivated to shoot as I was a few years ago I'd go back to reloading (if I thought I'd shoot enough to justify it).  As it is, I'll shoot a box of .45 and 9, then stick to .22lr.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto. My Kimber's feeling mighty cold...started shooting 9mms more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've lost some interest in the bigger caliber stuff.

I've been focusing on my 10/22 along with some precision stuff AND I've also diverted to RC Monster truck too.  I picked up a Used Losi LST2.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Ditto. My Kimber's feeling mighty cold...started shooting 9mms more.

ill give your kimber a nice home :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You gotta pry it out of my cold dead hands.."Marie" is going to be buried with me when I die!

It's still my carry gun though wouldn't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Due to surgery I had the first week in May, I can't shoot a damn thing! I bought a new Ruger 10/22 Stainless with a synthetic stock the week before I went into the hospital. Mounted a 3x9 scope on it & laser boresited it & that's all. Waiting for Doc's orders so I can get to shooting it. He did tell me anything with any recoil at all, it could be as long as 18 months before I can shoot it. Well, at least I'm saving ammo. He said I may never be able to shoot my 14" 45/70 T/C Contender again.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing wrong with shooting a .22. It is excellent low-cost training that will pay off when you do get to shoot the center-fires.

I am into C&Rs and K98 Mausers (8mm) in particular and they are still affordable to shoot. It feels great to bang away with a real battle rifle and not break the bank.

You can buy a Russian Capture K98 for less than a complete plain jane AR lower or Yugo Mauser for even less. Less is more sometimes
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I shoot my CZ 452 a lot now.  Not just to save $$, but because it is a hoot to shoot, and it really helps me work on my precision shooting mechanics.

I also end up shooting my P-22 a lot for the same reason.  I can keep up my shooting mechanics without thinking about how much each bullet costs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't afford to shoot near as much as I would like to...it's a 105 mile round-trip to the range. And when I do egt to go, I shoot my .22 a lot more than my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can't afford to shoot near as much as I would like to...it's a 105 mile round-trip to the range. And when I do egt to go, I shoot my .22 a lot more than my AR's.

HOLY CRAP! where do you live man..that's pretty effin far.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY CRAP! where do you live man..that's pretty effin far.

Roanoke.

I don't want to join the Roanoke Rifle club and refuse to shoot at Pott's Mountain public range. The range I belong to is in Newport...a bit of a hike from Roanoke.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have been recently shooting my .22's a lot more (In addition to playing with my RC Trucks) because that is all I can afford to do.  Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I'm doing a lot of the same, the Charger, MKII, and MKIII 22/45 have been seeing lots of rounds lately.  It's almost as expensive for me to get my T-Maxx out and play, I like to run it a little too hard sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 10/22 Liberty trainer that I need to get out and use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't shot on my own time in months.  

I have all the parts to make a .22LR Mk18 clone, and still haven't had the time to assemble it!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
good god man newport news .. there's a decent range over here in franklin county. that will save you a min. or 2... i open the back door and let' em rip deffintly a lot less center firs than it used to be...the shop o go to said those p-22 sell like crazy lately ..maybe i sould get one so i can use up more 22lr
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven’t totally stopped shooting centerfire, but nowadays I always take a .22 to the range to fill up some of the time with.

Between the cost of ammo and the cost of gas, shooting has certainly become quite a bit more expensive than it used to be.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a brand new Ruger MKIII in April, I was to the point where that was the only way I could continue to still shoot. My AR sits in the closet, I just got a Glock 19 so I can sometimes shoot 9mm.

Other than those to calibers, all I will be shooting is .22 from now on. Well, I tricked out my MKIII with a VQ sear, Clark trigger and a cheap red dot, so at least I can feel cool when I am shooting it
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
For the people who run RC Trucks I picked up a used T-Maxx and that is what I mostly run right now.  I am building an aluminum frame T-Maxx as I pick up parts cheap.  The funny thing is that I run my truck at my range when the shooting has ended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been reduced to shooting once every 4-6 weeks instead of twice a month.  I'm geting a reloading press to ramp back up in volume, but .22s will be part of my training regimen now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a Ciener for my AR and 5 30 round mags....I also have a High Standard .22lr I shoot also, I would like to find a good deal on a conversion kit for my 1911.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
good god man newport news .. there's a decent range over here in franklin county. that will save you a min. or 2... i open the back door and let' em rip deffintly a lot less center firs than it used to be...the shop o go to said those p-22 sell like crazy lately ..maybe i sould get one so i can use up more 22lr

No, not Newport News. Newport...just off 460 on the other side of Blacksburg.

What range are you talking about in Franklin County?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe I need to get into RC, are you guys using gas powered RC's, because if so, would that not break the bank as far as gas goes?

I am assuming though that it does not take much gas to power those things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#24]
A gallon of Nitro fule costs about $28 at my local hobby shop and lasts me about a month.  This is running my RC twice a week but I have not calculated the MPG that I get with the vehicle.  This is cheaper than .22.  What breaks the bank on RC's is if you buy a new TMAXX from you local hobby shop as they are over $400.  There are used ones all over the place usually with tons of hop-ups included.

Any local tracks in the  NoVA area?

Quoted:
Maybe I need to get into RC, are you guys using gas powered RC's, because if so, would that not break the bank as far as gas goes?

I am assuming though that it does not take much gas to power those things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top