BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 1:40:12 PM EDT
would really like to go this weekend, sick of benches
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I've missed something recently:

Several threads have shown up here which said that SHNF will no longer allow target shooting.  Hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm this or to tell otherwise.

If they do open, I'd like to know.

M.L.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It was officially closed in 2003 I believe, only to open for a small time frame during deer season for "sighting in deer rifles".  Since then I have heard that it is closed completely and indefinately.

I did hear that there was several guys up there shooting a few weeks ago but I think they would probably be in for at least a lecturing if a Ranger saw them.  I will find out tomorrow for sure and let you know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wonering that too.let us know.

Cant hardly wait till the NYE shoot.........need trigger time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Here and here are old ARFCOM links about SHNF closure.

-----------
ETA:
The links in my old post in the first above thread are outdated. I did a little searching and found out where they moved to
New links:
Steve Rickerson's decision on the closure.

1997-1999 Motoring and Evaluation Report (This is what I used as an argument to keep the range open - page 89.)

Here is another reference to the closure:
read page 28

just my 2¢

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was officially closed in 2003 I believe, only to open for a small time frame during deer season for "sighting in deer rifles".  Since then I have heard that it is closed completely and indefinately.

I did hear that there was several guys up there shooting a few weeks ago but I think they would probably be in for at least a lecturing if a Ranger saw them.  I will find out tomorrow for sure and let you know.

Well, I guarantee it was not officially closed in 2003. Several of us shot there in 2004.

It was officially closed in 2003 ONLY TO OPEN DURING A SMALL TIME FRAME DURING DEER SEASON.  I shot there in 2004 as well but it was during the "open" months, which coincide with hunting season.  Not saying that you didn't shoot there in 2004, just saying that if it wasn't between Oct. 1 and Jan 10, it was officially closed during that time.

ETA--->In the last link by CAM_PIN above, it states that the closure order was signed in November of 2002.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#7]
My shooting buddy went up there last Saturday (12/10/05) and the range is posted no shooting (even though its deer season). A ranger stopped them there and asked what they were doing and told them that the reason it was closed was due to the amount of trash that was left there and that it would not be reopened.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The Forest Service is full of shit (with regards to the condition of the range at the close last season). I was there on the last open day, and I think I still have some video showing the condition of the range. It actually looked better than it ever had.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I had been going up there for a few years and can only remember the place being clean maybe 3 times. Seems like everyone wanted to bring their old computer monitors, television, etc. Unfortunately,  the junk would be shot and then left for someone else to clean up. Always had to be careful about the broken glass on the ground.
I quit going when they only had it open during hunting season. Have been going to Gun Emporium in Conroe. Was riding motorcycles last weekend from the Stubblefield trail head and every time we stopped to take a break, I could hear multiple shots one right after another. I thought this had to be coming from the range!  BTW just called and listened to the recorded message : all multi-use trails are closed due to rainfall in the area.Hopefully
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top