Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:19:10 PM EDT
Watching the news tonight it looks like we may have a couple hurricanes coming our way.  If we get hit hard (most likely won't) do you think Mufi (Honolulu Mayor)will order gun confiscation?

BTW - The wife and I went through our 96 hour kit.  I would suggest everyone does the same just in case.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck to Mufi, I hope you make the right decision if that ever happens.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Mufi is a anti gunner and was a Waihee pusher for  strong gun legislation. Both are poor examples of Hawaiian. I voted for the Duke...

Registration means confiscation. Its a lost cause for Gun rights in Hawaii. The NRA does not even have a Rep for this State.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not lost, and the NRA really cannot be depended on.  What do they ever do, issue a statement?  It really sucks that there is only one Republican (Mr Lingle, hehe...)in office right now, but votes count.  When is the next set of elections to take place?

edit*  If that ever does happen, I bet that with a good reaction from the legal gun owners of the state, someone will put a stop to Mufis plans before the hospitals get swamped.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and know your history.

ETA: I agree with 20rdMag a one over on your kit and an extra stock of water would be a good idea right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Im ready, plenty of canned goods, water filters, and a office in a brand new brick building on Wheeler to stay til it passes over.  Just need to get a coffee maker in there and Ill be set.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the Big island is the main danger zone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Im ready, plenty of canned goods, water filters, and a office in a brand new brick building on Wheeler to stay til it passes over.  Just need to get a coffee maker in there and Ill be set.

Its a good thing you are on Federal property away from Local Liberal jurisdictions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Hoa aloha,

Just look at the pictures and threads ffrom our ARFCON members in LA, MS, or AL--WOW!

Especially the one showinh the two LEO caving in the front door with a ram in NO.

See also the NY TImes article on NO gun confiscation ("...only police and Army need guns." WOW!

I guess their excuse was the jails are flooded, all courts are fllooded--well, let's disarm everybody but the crooks! (great logic). Anyone think "calling a lawyer" would really help?

This is scary.

BE PREPARED!

---Woody---
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Howzit going with the Mental Bill in Columbus?
That sure sucks as much as LA.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe the storm will blow the correct (PC) type of people off the Islands and into the ocean?!?!?!

At least it is a nice thought.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Maybe the storm will blow the correct (PC) type of people off the Islands and into the ocean?!?!?!

At least it is a nice thought.hr

Our population would go from a Million + to 50k over night.  Cool, I always wanted a beach front home.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a good thing you are on Federal property away from Local Liberal jurisdictions.

I wont hide guys, as soon as it passes Ill be back in Waipio trying to police up my apartment.  Gonna have to leave a lot of stuff behind.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least it is a nice thought.

Our population would go from a Million + to 50k over night.  Cool, I always wanted a beach front home.

Imagine the drop in housing costs and gas prices...and food and just about everything but state taxes would go through the roof!  I dont pay state taxes (IL is my state and military doesnt pay), isnt that great?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey! SUKA!

We got all kinda Mental Bills here in Ohio!

Main one is the Governor Taft; corrupt and bumbling. First during election he is FOR ccw; then, after election, he's AGAINST ccw; then, after we scream, he's for some of it and against some of it. Then, he says he's for ccw only if police want it. ? Typical political doo-doo.

Just one of Gov. Taft's slight screwups, his people have "misinvested" millions in the State worker's comp fund. Auditors say it lost (hold on to your hat) $1 billion in investments over the past 10 years! (Billion-with a "B.") The bum won't resign even after pleading guilty in court last week to taking bribes (steaks, food, and 'free' golf outing!).

Any rate, we got ccw passed! Now we are trying to clean up the little problems that go with it.

Hope any typhoon passes by lovely HI. It's really "God's country."

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!

" A half-assed plan executed VIOLENTLY-- NOW, is worth more than a dreamed-up "perfect" plan acted tomorrow."

---Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.---
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll hide out up by the radar station until it passes.... just watch it become an island....

pretty crazy thought of something the size of katrina hitting us here- would be bad...

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll have to move out, my house is about 300' from the ocean.  Figuring on relocating the wife and  kids to her workplace, cement building.  I'll probably get recalled to my fire station.  Keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully that'll keep me from biting my nails.  As to my rifles, they'll be staying with the family.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]
The Hawaii Rifle Association is the NRA representation for Hawaii.  If you are not a member or have not supported them, shame on you.

There was a proposed all handgun ban and magazine limitation for all firearms to 10 rounds which they shot down (no pun intended).  

They are right now lobbying for CCW in Hawaii and will get a Senate hearing if they can get 50 women to testify on their behalf.

Get involved now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the hurricane bypassed us.  I guess we will just need to wait and see with this confiscation in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW -I am a member of the HRA
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]
A cut and paste, but good read nonetheless...

It would be a hopeful sign if the Senate could get away from its obsession with abortion on demand and consider, during its Supreme Court confirmation hearings, what the Constitution is and what it isn't.

Some people seem to be under the erroneous belief that the Constitution grants us our rights. It does no such thing. To understand the Constitution, you have to remember the Declaration of Independence, which preceded it by several years. It is the Declaration that contains the philosophy of the American Revolution. The Constitution merely implements that philosophy.

The philosophy of the American Revolution contains three basic premises. One is that rights come from God and are unalienable. Two is that men create governments to protect those rights. Three is that when government fails to protect those rights and becomes abusive of those rights, men have a right and even a duty to overthrow that government and create a new one.

Some Americans have so neglected their study of American history that the idea of violently overthrowing a government strikes them as, well, communist or some such. Of course, if the Founding Fathers had not violently overthrown the colonial government of Great Britain in North America, we would not be an independent nation.

If you read the Constitution with those three premises in mind (and both documents were written to be read by ordinary folks, not legal scholars), it makes perfect sense. The main part of the Constitution simply establishes the framework for the federal government and its three parts, defines their respective duties and establishes what the federal government can do and what the states can do. None of that has anything at all to do with individual rights or with social issues.

The Bill of Rights, which is a set of amendments added after ratification to reassure opponents of the Constitution that the new government would not usurp their rights, simply forbids the new federal government from abusing or abridging already-existing rights. The right to free speech and all the others existed prior to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The language of the First Amendment tells what the intent was: "Congress shall pass no law." Only the new federal government had a Congress.

The Second Amendment does not grant people the right to keep and bear arms. They already had and continue to have that right. It simply says the already-existing right cannot be abridged. You can't abridge something that doesn't exist. Remember, too, that the same people involved in the Constitution were involved in the Revolution. Obviously, if you believe people have a right to overthrow a government, then no government must be allowed to disarm them.

It is also good to keep in mind that the Constitution is a textual document, not a "living document." That was a false metaphor intended to provide cover for judges to legislate and amend by interpretation so that the Constitution would mean whatever they said it meant. Not so. It means what it says. It cannot be amended by interpretation or by Congress ignoring it, though modern politicians have committed both sins.

The Constitution is a written contract between the sovereign people and their government. It was ratified by the people, and only the people can change it through the amendment process. Every single American, liberal or conservative, should be fiercely adamant on that point. Otherwise, we have a nation of men, not of laws.

Finally, keep in mind that the Constitution was never intended to deal with moral and philosophical issues, such as abortion. The Founding Fathers properly left those to elected legislatures. That's why Roe v. Wade is a profoundly flawed decision. The court usurped the powers of the 50 state legislatures and, by interpretation, created a right to privacy that the words of the Constitution do not support.

It is said that when the Constitutional Convention ended, a lady asked Benjamin Franklin what kind of government they had given the people. "Madam, we have given you a republic – if you can keep it," was the reply. That is still an open question. If Americans continue to allow lawyers and academics to tell them what is so and not so, instead of thinking for themselves, then most surely we won't keep it.  

September 19, 2005  ---  Charley Reese has been a journalist for 49 years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Huricane did miss us but please always be ready. July, Aug, Sept, is huricane season for Hawaii and most of the U.S.

We are always at risk of tsunami and volcanic activity here so stay alert, prepared, and alive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top