Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:44:07 PM EDT
I'll be flying in to John Wayne an Wednesday 21 Sep, and was looking to find some of the cool things to do until Sunday the 25.  I will be attending a convention Fri, Sat, but am looking for evening activities besides visiting the 6' Rat!  Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Attending the gun rights convention?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Attending the gun rights convention?

No, actually a foodservice equipment convention, is there a gun rights convention running concurrent?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
LAX Marriot here's a link. www.ccrkba.org/

Better hurry as time is running out to sign up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
burro shoot sept 17th. pinned on top.

meat

oops aweek too late........ sorry
ETA AND NOT IN ANAHEIM ALSO..............

fritz's that's too..................................
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
See a ball game at Edison field.

September is often the hottest month of the year here, so rent a car and check out some of the beaches in Newport, Laguna Beach, or Dana Point.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Flying into John Wayne? Thats like 5 minutes from my house

What do you like to do? Its all here.

Here are some things off the top of my head:

Downtown Disney has many fun things to do...the ESPN Zone is there, and a Rainforest Cafe, Goofy's Kitchen, and many shops and stores.

Knotts Berry Farm is pretty close.

Newport, Huntington, and Corona Del Mar beaches are close.

The Queen Mary, and Belmont Brewing Co. are just a short drive away.

Discovery Science Center is a few miles south on the 5, if you are bringing kids.

Name a restaurant, and there will be one within a 15 minute drive.  Clearmans Northwoods Inn is one of my favorites, and just a few miles up the 5 from D-land.

Angels Stadium is in Anaheim, if you like baseball.  I might have extra tix during the time you're here. Let me know.

The King Tut exibit is in LA right now at the LA county musium of art. Thats a bit of a drive, but worthy.

I'll add as I think of other things to do..

Legoland, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, and the Wild Animal Park are all about 1 1/4 hour away in San Diego if you take a side trip.

The Irvine Spectrum has a Dave and Busters, and some really fun shops.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Flying into John Wayne? Thats like 5 minutes from my house

What do you like to do? Its all here.

Here are some things off the top of my head:

Downtown Disney has many fun things to do...the ESPN Zone is there, and a Rainforest Cafe, Goofy's Kitchen, and many shops and stores.

Knotts Berry Farm is pretty close.

Newport, Huntington, and Corona Del Mar beaches are close.

The Queen Mary, and Belmont Brewing Co. are just a short drive away.

Discovery Science Center is a few miles south on the 5, if you are bringing kids.

Name a restaurant, and there will be one within a 15 minute drive.  Clearmans Northwoods Inn is one of my favorites, and just a few miles up the 5 from D-land.

Angels Stadium is in Anaheim, if you like baseball.  I might have extra tix during the time you're here. Let me know.

The King Tut exibit is in LA right now at the LA county musium of art. Thats a bit of a drive, but worthy.

I'll add as I think of other things to do..

Legoland, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, and the Wild Animal Park are all about 1 1/4 hour away in San Diego if you take a side trip.

The Irvine Spectrum has a Dave and Busters, and some really fun shops.

Beer any good?  Sounds as if I'll be able to stay busy relatively easily!Any club recommendations relatively close to Desert Palms Hotel & Suites?  (Company refuses to provide a rental But I may just do it anyway)Oh and Clearmans?  What type of food?  I like to sample as much of the local stuff as possible at these conventions, so I shy away from national chains.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Beer any good?  Sounds as if I'll be able to stay busy relatively easily!Any club recommendations relatively close to Desert Palms Hotel & Suites?  (Company refuses to provide a rental But I may just do it anyway)Oh and Clearmans?  What type of food?  I like to sample as much of the local stuff as possible at these conventions, so I shy away from national chains.

If you're looking for O.C. bars just go down to Main St in Huntington Beach on Pacific Coast Hwy.  About 10 bars within a quarter mile on Main and a bunch of chicks.  Drinks are relatively cheap too.  I lived down there for over a year and I barely even remember it.  If you feel like taking a little drive, you could always go see USC beat the shit out of Arkansas.  It's their first home game and that place is going to be packed.  It's on a Sat though so I think you'll be busy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Even if you don't visit the Rat.  Downtown Disney is a nice stroll at night., especially on weekends when they have more of the "street" musicians out.  Parking in the DTD lots is 3 hours free with another 2 free if you get validation at one of the sit-down restaurants or the AMC theatres.  Plus if you go out in the central plaza (again free) you can get a decent view of the fireworkds show on Friday and Saturday nights (not every night anymore for which the locals are very grateful) at 9:25 approximately.  If you haven't seen a recent show, you won't believe what they can do with shells now.  As noted several nice watering holes and restaurants.

Knotts, well if you like roller coasters and thrill rides they got some that turn you inside out and spit you out.  Halloween Haunt won't have started by then though.

Gene Autry of Western Heritage in LA is worth a trip, good mix of what the west was really like and how Hollywood protrayed it.

Air Museum at March Field in Moreno Valley.  The Wild Animal Park is definitely worth a trip, won't be summer hours but no where hear the crowds.  Take your walking shoes.

Give us a little more idea of what you are interested in, OC has or is in the middle of just about everything for everybody.

Walker '47 (Orangethorpe and Lemon) in north Anaheim is a neat "Western Emporium" gunstore, duds, and other goodies for the cowboy shooter, And the nearest Sonics (if you can't live without Sonic's) is just south on Lemon between the 91 and Orangethorpe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 As noted several nice watering holes and restaurants.

Give us a little more idea of what you are interested in, OC has or is in the middle of just about everything for everybody.

Well, daytime is taken up until 4:00 or so, so I am looking more toward nightlife, and good local restaurants.  All this other stuff sounds really neat, but most sounds geared toward daytime activities.  I'm in the process of trying to change my flight res so I can stay on a few extra days, but the airlines aren't cooperating so far.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've heard that the beer at BBC is really good, if you like that kind of beer

Its right on the pier at Belmont Shore in Long Beach.

There is another Brewing co. up near UCI, Steelhead Brewing Co.

Clearmans is a steak house, known for their steaks, salad, and cheese bread. Its at Valley View and the 5.

I'll keep thinking of other things that you might like to do while out here.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you like aquariums, there is Aquarium of the Pacific.  Pretty interesting place.

There is a couple of shooting ranges nearby, Straight Shooter shooting range is nearby, about 20-30 minute drive, and another near Angel's Stadium, the name escapes me at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Evans, www.egsw.com
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
google dromo 1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Downtown Disney has night life

House of Blues
09.21   Dead Men Walking' featuring: Mike Peters from the Alarm, Slim Jim Phantom from the Stray Cats, Captain Sensible from the Damned, Kirk Brandon from Spear of Destiny and Special

09.22 The Presidents of The United States of America with No-Fi Soul Rebellion and Understated

09.24 Unwritten Law

09.24 Unwritten Law

09.25 Gospel Brunch

ESPN Zone

Schedule for their 16 ft HDTV

* Dodgers @ Diamondbacks 6:40pm
   * Rangers vs. Angels 7:05pm
   * MLS

* Dodgers @ Diamondbacks 6:40pm
   * Rangers vs. Angels 7:05pm
   * PGA

* Pirates vs. Dodgers 7:40pm
   * Devil Rays vs. Angels 7:05pm
   * PGA

* Pirates vs. Dodgers 7:10pm
   * Devil Rays vs. Angels 7:05pm
   * NCAA FB
   * PGA
   * MLS

* Pirates vs. Dodgers 1:10pm
   * Devil Rays vs. Angels 1:05pm
   * NASCAR
   * NFL

Doesn't look like anything exciting at the Convention Center.  Too bad get a lot of ladies walking over to DTD when nothing going on at the Conventions.  

If you're really in the meat market down by the beaches is better.

But whatever you do don't ask LT for advice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

But whatever you do don't ask LT for advice.

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Places to go and do in Anaheim?

Well when you get to your hotel go to the bar and you will see several ladies that will negotiate with you for the

do it
part of your question. But remember, like in the food industry, always double wrap for your protection
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top