Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:15:17 PM EDT
What happens if they call the cops?  I thought open carry was legal in Washington.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What happens if they call the cops?  I thought open carry was legal in Washington.

There is a charge, something like scaring the sheep.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
All it takes is for someone to say they felt threatened or intimidated, then you could get a brandishing charge.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Open carry IS legal in Wa. However, since the limpwristed lefties are running amok, it's not particularly well tolerated. The asshat police chief of Tacoma said, a few years ago that, in spite of the law, he would see to it that anyone "caught" carrying openly in the city limits would be arrested. And here I thought  you had to break LAWS THAT EXIST to get picked up. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]

If my pistol becomes unconcealed and somebody sees it?  

I usually get laughed at.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
All it takes is for someone to say they felt threatened or intimidated, then you could get a brandishing charge.

For your shirt blowing open and someone seeing the concealed pistol? Not likely, even if the cop is a total asshat.

To answer HighCaliber's question, it does NOT fall into open carry just because it's momentarily exposed. If it is seen, and tyhe cops called, chances are that if you have a valid permit, and a plasusable story, then the cop will most likely re-explain what concealed carry means and send you on your way.
If your shirt falls open while you're using threatening language, then a menacing charge might be in your future, but again that depends on your story, what the reporting party says, and what color icing the doughnuts had on them that day.

Slightly Off topic, but doesn't the Mayor of Snoqualmie carry a Cap and Ball open carry? I seem to recall an article about him and the subject....
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The asshat police chief of Tacoma said, a few years ago that, in spite of the law, he would see to it that anyone "caught" carrying openly in the city limits would be arrested. And here I thought  you had to break LAWS THAT EXIST to get picked up. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Is that the same one that went on to kill his wife?

I've never heard of any Chief in the PS area ever making a comment like that, and I'm pretty dialed in with most of the departments from Seattle - Vancouver.  

Is this something you've heard yourself, or from another person?

Either way, when was the last time  a Chief made an arrest, and since that chief went loopy and killed himself and wife, I doubt anything he may have said would mean much to anyone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Open carry IS legal in Wa. However, since the limpwristed lefties are running amok, it's not particularly well tolerated. The asshat police chief of Tacoma said, a few years ago that, in spite of the law, he would see to it that anyone "caught" carrying openly in the city limits would be arrested. And here I thought  you had to break LAWS THAT EXIST to get picked up. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

You do.  I'd love the PD - any PD - to arrest me for not breaking the law.  I'd have a field day at my civil suit moderation settlement, & be sure to tally up my desired payola in accordance w/ my desired future firearm purhcases.

BTW - asshat showed his worth, along w/ that of the Tacoma City council that rubber stamped him, when he murdered his wife & then ate his own lunch in a parking lot.  He got it right on the last part, but f-ed it up beforehand. At least he's dead. Good riddence.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The worst that can happen is you are charged under

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm -- Unlawful carrying or handling -- Penalty -- Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.
--------------------------------
RCW 9A.20.021
2) Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than one year, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

As has been said open carry is not illegal in WA but there's nothing to stop a panicked soccer-ninny from calling 911 and getting an operator who happens to be the 2nd brother in law of WA Ceasefires director who then dispatches the first available unit who happens to have gun hater Chief Kerlawkaski in the unit that day.  That wouldn't make for a good day.

The question you asked is typical of someone who's new to carrying concealed if that's true in your case it's normal to think about inadvertently displaying your concealed pistol.  That worry will fade with time and experience.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
The question you asked is typical of someone who's new to carrying concealed if that's true in your case it's normal to think about inadvertently displaying your concealed pistol.  That worry will fade with time and experience.

...right up until the time that you are so comfortable carrying that you take off your jacket with your strong side facing traffic on the street near Fred Meyers.

Or during an unexpected trip to a Starbucks on Pine Street in downtown Seattle to have coffee with a redhead you take off your jacket and have it over the back of the chair before..........

You get the idea.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
asked a Fircrest cop this very question.  His reply was surprising;

"You could carry two sixguns on your hips like the wild west and it'd be legal.  No guarantee that someone might freak out and call it in...but you could.  You'd probably get harrassed a bit about your intentions, but in the end, you'd be fine unless you'd drawn down on someone."
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

...right up until the time that you are so comfortable carrying that you take off your jacket with your strong side facing traffic on the street near Fred Meyers.

Or during an unexpected trip to a Starbucks on Pine Street in downtown Seattle to have coffee with a redhead you take off your jacket and have it over the back of the chair before..........

You get the idea.

. you get out at the rest area take off your over short, check the oil in the car, stretch  and UH OH
I think most off us have done it at one point or another .

DD
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

You get the idea.

. you get out at the rest area take off your over short, check the oil in the car, stretch  and UH OH
I think most off us have done it at one point or another .

DD

Or get out of your truck carrying mexican because you don't believe mr policeman when he says you don't have a valid sticker on your plate. oops...just did that a week or two ago. Didn't even think about it until I was back in the truck discussing the consequences. To his credit the Sno County Deputy told me to renew my tabs the next day and let me go. Didn't realize what I'd done until I was driving away and my wife said, "Do you still have that gun stuck in your pants?"
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]
If memory serves, it was the asshole that shot himself. But, if ya search the TNT archives, you'll find it right there in black and white. It pissed me off so much at the time, I came REEEAAALLY close to strapping on a Model 29, just to go savor the ambience downtown.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As has been said open carry is not illegal in WA but there's nothing to stop a panicked soccer-ninny from calling 911 and getting an operator R-32 who happens to be the 2nd brother in law of WA Ceasefires director Asshole of the day who then dispatches the first available unit who happens to have gun hater Chief KerlawkaskiMy pick of  Prick Deputies/Officers, cause I know the new guy from Illinois who already tried to detain  someone for spent brass in his veh. in the unit that day.  That wouldn't make for a good day.

I will be waiting for the call...

Make my day!

Honestly, guys I get calls of soccer moms a couple times a week in the grocery store, reporting seeing a man with a gun...

I just do the best I can to find out what is really in the happs, then tell them about CC, and if they still throw a fit, I have been known to call into the store and ask for the manager/security if they have noticed a prob. And if I cant get what I need Then I have to launch Johnny Law, but only as a last resort.

I would say that 9.5/10 times I can figure out what is really going on and dont have to even enter a call because the calling party wants to cancel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#17]
But you have (been known to have) common sense R2D2.........

How many of the rest of them answering calls arent soccer mom sheep and have sense.........

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Removing your jacket in a Starbuck's coffee shop; wearing your horizontal-carry shoulder holster; standing there scratching your head and turning in a circle...slowly.
THAT would go over extremely well.  

SWeeeeeeeeeeP!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Removing your jacket in a Starbuck's coffee shop; wearing your horizontal-carry shoulder holster; standing there scratching your head and turning in a circle...slowly.
THAT would go over extremely well.  

SWeeeeeeeeeeP!!!

It was a stainless 1911 in a belt holster with 2 spare magazines in an offside carrier.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Get one of the WAC Life Member badges to wear on your belt...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't post here often but always enjoy your comments- But I have a personal experience with this one.
I had gone to Wades on a Friday after work and shot a few rounds through my Sig. I decided to stop at Alderwood mall.( Wife’s B day in a week better do the right thing and not be late) I didn't want to leave my pistol in the car and I have CC permit, so I stuff it in my lower back and put a jacket on.
In the mall maybe a half an hour and see 2 cops walking towards me with a lady pointing at me. One officer has his hand on his holstered gun and ask me to leave my hands where can see him. I know what’s about to happen so I told him about my pistol in my lower back as they approached. The officer asked if he could retrieve it and I agreed.
After he got and safed it (not loaded and I had a full clip in my jacket) He told me that this lady had seen me in the parking lot putting the gun in my back and called 911.
Needless to say after I showed my permit and they called me in for wants and warrants he hands back my pistol. Nice enough guy and there is mob now watching. The Lady is pissed and in a loud voice ask the other cop if that’s all they where going to do to me and are they going to allow me to walk around the mall with a loaded gun!
The officer (Lynnwood cop) in just a load voice says to her "that’s exactly what we are going to do, anything else we can help you with"
Some one from the back of the looky loos shouts out - why don't you join the NRA soccer mom!
She’s gone red faced. I figured I pushed my luck enough for the day and headed home.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Don't post here often but always enjoy your comments- But I have a personal experience with this one.
I had gone to Wades on a Friday after work and shot a few rounds through my Sig. I decided to stop at Alderwood mall.( Wife’s B day in a week better do the right thing and not be late) I didn't want to leave my pistol in the car and I have CC permit, so I stuff it in my lower back and put a jacket on.
In the mall maybe a half an hour and see 2 cops walking towards me with a lady pointing at me. One officer has his hand on his holstered gun and ask me to leave my hands where can see him. I know what’s about to happen so I told him about my pistol in my lower back as they approached. The officer asked if he could retrieve it and I agreed.
After he got and safed it (not loaded and I had a full clip in my jacket) He told me that this lady had seen me in the parking lot putting the gun in my back and called 911.
Needless to say after I showed my permit and they called me in for wants and warrants he hands back my pistol. Nice enough guy and there is mob now watching. The Lady is pissed and in a loud voice ask the other cop if that’s all they where going to do to me and are they going to allow me to walk around the mall with a loaded gun!
The officer (Lynnwood cop) in just a load voice says to her "that’s exactly what we are going to do, anything else we can help you with"
Some one from the back of the looky loos shouts out - why don't you join the NRA soccer mom!
She’s gone red faced. I figured I pushed my luck enough for the day and headed home.

Nice
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I have made a mistake once or twice. I used to hang out at the Steak House Saloon in Roy WA. I went in sat down at the bar and took my coat off and us going to order a beer & dinner. About a minute went by and I realized I had a shoulder holster on packing a 1911Gov with two extra mags in clear view. I had a chill go down my back & all eyes in the house where on me.... So I stood up turned around and put my jacket back on all in one motion and headed for the truck to ditch the 1911. Then I went right back in and got me a beer.  Most of the people there knew me so it was not a big deal. But I'm sure glad the cops did not get ahold of me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Get one of the WAC Life Member badges to wear on your belt...hr

Funny....
Then you run the risk of brandishing charges AND "impersonation" charges.  hock.gif Methinks losing your CPL will be the least of your problem...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a pawnshop and carry all the time and as you know it gets to be like your wallet-you know if its gone but don't really know its there all the time.Anyway,I was selling a chainsaw to a guy and I bent over start it.Shirt rode up and he saw my .45,Said "is that a gun/"I said "yup"he said "I am not buying a chainsaw from someone who carries a gun"!WTF?Still haven't figured that one out yet!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have a pawnshop and carry all the time and as you know it gets to be like your wallet-you know if its gone but don't really know its there all the time.Anyway,I was selling a chainsaw to a guy and I bent over start it.Shirt rode up and he saw my .45,Said "is that a gun/"I said "yup"he said "I am not buying a chainsaw from someone who carries a gun"!WTF?Still haven't figured that one out yet!

LOL  I don't understand that one either
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Infantile dumbass was afraid you'd do a Mozambique drill on him if he tried to return the saw....?

[BugsBunny] Whatta Maroon![/BugsBunny]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Personally, I'd never buy a gun from somebody that carries a chainsaw!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd never buy a gun from somebody that carries a chainsaw!

And I would never buy a gun from a guy that dont know how to run a chainsaw..
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I was involved in a MVA a few years ago when I had my permit. The state trooper kept on asking if I had a gun in the car and pointing out that it would be safer with him that leaving the gun in the car because I was going to the hospital via ambulance and my car was being impounded for safe keeping and because it was undrivable. I wasn't carrying that day but the trooper kept bringing up the subject. Well DUH had I been carrying yeah I would have had him take possession of my gun during my trip to the hospital. But I had to inform him several times that No I am not carrying my gun right at this moment and it is not in my car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top