Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 9:25:31 PM EDT
I am currently staying in Little Rock and will be returning home in the near future to
check on my home as well as collect any belongings that I want to bring back
with me. We will not be allowed to return permanently for at least 6-8 weeks. My
question is where would you suggest I look in this area for a AR15 rifle ? We are
being told from people who stayed for the hurricane, that the looting and carjacking
is severe and that we should not return without protection. I do own a pistol, but
left it in my truck parked in the garage. If you could recommend a reliable and
reasonably priced gun shop in the area, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Southern Tranding and Loan. It is on Markam. I think they had a few AR's last time I was there and they are good people to deal with. Don't know how long you are here, but there is a gunshow in little rock on the 17 -18th.

Good luck. We just had some family head back down to New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Academy Sports also on Markham in west LR also has a few AR's.  And there's Don's Weaponry on Broadway, NLR. But dont go there unless you wanna overpay and be treated like a idiot from their "knowledgable" staff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions. We are staying at the Embassy Suites on
Financial Centre Pkwy. Are the places on Markham close to us here ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Academy and Southern Trading are close to you. Go down Shackleford to Markam. Take a left and academy will be in a shopping center on your right. If you go right, southern trading will be on the left at the corner of Markam and Rodney Parham.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks cajunboy. I'll check them out tomorrow or Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Covert1, I live fairly close to where you are staying.  If you need to some help finding these places. Feel free to email or message me through the ar15 website and I will be happy to help you find a rifle.

Good luck with your future. And God Bless.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks cajunboy. I'll check them out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Find anything?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
You also have Ft. Thompson on Broadway about two blocks from Don's.  They usually don't have too much of a selection though.  Sherwood Gun and Pawn on 67 is another one, haven't dealt with them too much, except picking up my first AR I won from Gunbroker yesterday
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You may find it hard to buy a gun in the State of AR without an AR ID, I suggest you get one in North LA on the way down.  However, on the news today, the cops in New Fallugia are disarming citizens in areas that are not flooded who are protecting their homes from looters, per orders from your great democrat mayor.  Buy a cheap used pump short barrel shotgun, if you have to give it up to the government police force of New Orleans you are not out much.  Sure hate to see you lay $800.00 down on an AR-15 just to give it to the mayor down there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Update: 9/8/05:

m4geek - Thanks m4geek. I'll keep you in mind in case I need the help.

cajunboy - Not yet. Went in yesterday (9/7) with a Sig 9mm that I borrowed from a co-worker
                  and found it really wasn't needed in the area that I live. I can tell you that what
                  they're showing on tv isn't the half of it. The other suburbs that surround the city
                  of N.O. itself look like a nuclear bomb went off. Many, many trees down along with
                  an equal number of utility poles, fences, billboards, etc. Some houses have their
                   roofs collapsed while next door no damage at all. Debris all over the streets as
                   well. Military all over the place. It reminds me of the movie "Red Dawn". Anyway,
                   I still want the AR and will look for something maybe this weekend or possibly
                   next week.

neofreak05 - I did call Sherwood on Monday and spoke with a Nick. He seemed ok and
                      told me I wouldn't be able to find any better pricing and that if he didn' t
                      have what I was looking for in stock, he knew a lot of people that he could
                      contact to get a rifle over to his place to sell to me. Any thoughts about
                      these guys ?

Dennese - Can you or anyone else confirm the AR id situation ? I thought anyone could
                  purchase a rifle anywhere and that hanguns were the ones that needed proof
                  of residency and a background check for. As far as the situation back in N.O.,
                  the mayor thing is for Orleans Parish (County). I live in Jefferson Parish which
                  has it's own mayor. So there's no need to worry about anyone taking guns
                  away from you.

Can anyone give me input on where I can get the best price for say a Rock River Arms
Tactical Entry model with a chrome lined barrel or equal ? I am wanting to stay right
around $800 if at all possible. Thanks again to all !
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#11]
You might be able to find something on the internet and have it shipped to a local FFL. Problem is finding one here who does it for less than $50! The guy I have worked with before is moving and his is on hold for about 30 days. The gunshow in Little Rock next weekend might be your best bet.

All of my family is in LA, and everyone I have talked to has seen mostly empty racks (as far as AR's and pistols) in local shops as far north as Shreveport. Sad, because about a month ago, there were several AR's at Academy in Lafayette and even more at the gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 2 AR lowers from Nick at Sherwood last weekend.  Good guys – treated me right, and pretty knowledgeable.  They do FFL transfers for $20.  I didn’t check on their prices for complete rifles.  Their prices for handguns and magazines are a little high – colt mags for $30, USGI AR mags $20, used Sig 226 $550.  One of my friends called them on their prices.  The response was, “yea, we know, but somebody will pay what we ask.”
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Ft Thompson's doesn't sell AR's. Academy is the cheapest I've seen in town. Last time I was in there, they had a 20 in realtree bushie for 869, a m4 with flash supp and tele stock for 759 i think it was, and they had a carbon 15 for 7 something.

Brennan O'Shea at Firearms 4 Less will do transfers for 20.00. He's in West LR.  501-680-GUNS
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The FFL guy I use I thought was running a check on me for everything I buy.  I moved here from MS.  Not sure what the AR law is.   I'll ask him at work tomorrow.   When I was in Alexandra, LA a dealer there told me he can sell a gun to anyone from any other state, but did not want to do the extra paperwork for a non resident.  AL will sell to ajoining states.  In MS you had to have a MS ID.  There seems to be no standard it is different state to state, many local state laws go beyond what the Feds require.  I'll ask and let you know what I find out.  In the meantime if you go by a gunstore stop and ask.  By the way how was your place?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Dennese. Let me know what you find out.
As far as my house goes, no water damage, not on single
roof shingle missing ! My fence is down on all sides, I have
a small piece of vinyl underhang sagging on one side of my
house, a small dent on my rear patio cover from a tree branch,
and my sons basketball goal was bent down to the driveway. We
were very lucky compared to many, many people. There were more
with a good bit of damage than not. Check out these pics that are
from around my area.....

http://www.crazyeyeddeers.com/katrina/index.htm

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Covert1

Went by Wal-Mart gun dept, long guns you can buy here in AR.  There were some states that if you are from you can not, CA, NV, FL, AL, IN, ID, KY and some others but if you are from LA you can buy a long gun here.  They didn't know about the handguns because they do not sell them and have not for many years.  I'll find out about that monday from the FFL guy I work with.

Glad you house made it, any idea when you can go back home?

Dennese

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for looking into the long gun purchase. No need to check on the
handgun. When we went back home, I grabbed my Sig P239 (9mm). As
far as going back, we're hearing anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks at this point.
I may be going to Houston this week but if not, I'm going to try to make the
gun show. If I'm here, I may need directions to it. I will be flying back in
every other weekend to be with my family. Thanks again !
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You might be able to find something on the internet and have it shipped to a local FFL. Problem is finding one here who does it for less than $50!

Bob at Bob's Barber Shop in the Indian Hills Shopping Center, North Little Rock does transfers for $10.  Great guy to do business with!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You might be able to find something on the internet and have it shipped to a local FFL. Problem is finding one here who does it for less than $50!

Bob at Bob's Barber Shop in the Indian Hills Shopping Center, North Little Rock does transfers for $10.  Great guy to do business with!

Thanks, I will have to remember that! First quote I got when I move to Little Rock was $50 from Don's. I found an All State agent who did transfers out of his office for $15, but he moved to Little Rock. Bob's is right down the street.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey guys,
I am leaving for Houston tomorrow the 14th and probably won't be back in until
next weekend which means I will miss the show  hilethe Rock River Arms "Entry Tactical" model at a good price, please get their card
or number and post it up for me here. That way I can get in touch with them to
try and set something up. The company, a name & number, and of course the price
is all I will probably need. Thanks in advance !
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#21]
***Deleted<va-gunnut>*** Please, no for sale posts in the HTF. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Rocky,

Please let me know which models they are (both RRA & Bushy).
Also let me know your prices. You can send me an e-mail & I'll
let you know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm currently in Houston but will be heading
back to N.O. later next week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey guys.
Finally made it back home. Went to Houston, but the
storms keep chasing me around ! I will continue the
search over here for my black rifle, but will have to
wait a bit since a lot of businesses are still closed.
I will be keeping you posted. Thanks for all of your
suggestions & input over the past weeks !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top