Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:22:36 PM EDT
I have a stripped lower that I bought a few years ago, and have been wondering lately about what it would cost to get everything needed to make it into a pistol lower. (I don't have the money to do it right now, but I'm curious about what I'm aspiring to do). The only thing I already have is a pistol grip.
I did some reading in the AR Pistol forum, and what I saw didn't help. No agreement on what works, what's legal, etc. I just want a realistic idea on cost.
Thanks.

Edit - Added to thread title.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
All you need is a pistol buffer and a lower parts kit.  The Stag LPK is typically $65-70 w/sales tax, the pistol buffer is around $50 or so the last I checked here.

No vertical grip on the forearm, barrel can be any length and no stock.  Any deviation from that is an SBR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All you need is a pistol buffer and a lower parts kit.  The Stag LPK is typically $65-70 w/sales tax, the pistol buffer is around $50 or so the last I checked here.

No vertical grip on the forearm, barrel can be any length and no stock.  Any deviation from that is an SBR.

I heard the Magpul AFG's were legal . Anyone else heard this ?

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard that also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a couple of scanned BATF letters regarding the AFG in this thread.

GoGOP,

I have DPMS lower parts kits in stock at my shop for $55. I don't have a pistol buffer tube, buffer spring or buffer, though. Figure about $60 for those parts. (You don't actually have to use a pistol buffer tube as long as  you don't have a spare stock lying around, but it does eliminate questions to do so.)

FWIW, I built an AR pistol recently. It's a hoot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GoGOP,

I have DPMS lower parts kits in stock at my shop for $55. I don't have a pistol buffer tube, buffer spring or buffer, though. Figure about $60 for those parts. (You don't actually have to use a pistol buffer tube as long as  you don't have a spare stock lying around, but it does eliminate questions to do so.)

Thanks Bob. That's a great thread and I bookmarked it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GoGOP,

If you use a tube for a collapsable stock you can wrap it with para cord or fill in the underside with JB weld to help keep the man happy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard that also.

That is good to know, I may just build a 9" 300 AAC Blackout pistol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a stripped lower that I bought a few years ago, and have been wondering lately about what it would cost to get everything needed to make it into a pistol lower. (I don't have the money to do it right now, but I'm curious about what I'm aspiring to do). The only thing I already have is a pistol grip.

I did some reading in the AR Pistol forum, and what I saw didn't help. No agreement on what works, what's legal, etc. I just want a realistic idea on cost.

Thanks.

Palmetto State Armory has complete lower build kits for building pistol lowers for $100 I think.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice! Not as bad as I was thinking it would be, so maybe I should take a look in the safe and see if there's something I could live without.

I do have a spare A2 stock, that I bought thinking I was going to make this into a rifle, and I don't want to get into any SBR drama so I'm sure I'll get the pistol buffer tube.

Thanks for the help.    

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nice! Not as bad as I was thinking it would be, so maybe I should take a look in the safe and see if there's something I could live without.

I do have a spare A2 stock, that I bought thinking I was going to make this into a rifle, and I don't want to get into any SBR drama so I'm sure I'll get the pistol buffer tube.

Thanks for the help.

Thats what I did, till one day when the Tax Stamp gods smile down upon me the the magic paper of goodness, that I've heard many speak of...  I so wanna join the club...
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like them to scrap the Tax Code, and do away with that unconstitutional stuff.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'd like them to scrap the Tax Code, and do away with that unconstitutional stuff.  
So would I brother, so would I....

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]
They need to make a slide fire for a pistol so I can have fun while waiting on a stamp.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Single-point sling and bumpfire?  lol

Yeah, the NFA and Hayes both need to go away.  Fortunately, they never updated the stamp tax for inflation since '32, but then again the cost of NFA goodies has kept pace...
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Search the EE. I'd be amazed if you needed more than 65 bucks to be ready. I recently bought a NIB DPMS lpk for 30 shipped and see the pistol buffer tubes for 30 frequently.

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I dug around in the safe last night, and here's what I have to work with so far. The stock and grip at top are extra, and the bottom shows the lower with the other parts I have.

The lower.

I'm thinking about selling my muzzleloader, to raise the money for this gun. I didn't even go out last ML season, and the one coming up I can use my Super Blackhawk (if I practice more first).

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Muzzleloader is spoken for, and I should have the money within a week, so I should be ready to get the parts for this lower real soon.

Then it'll be back to the safe, to see about funding an upper.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Search the EE. I'd be amazed if you needed more than 65 bucks to be ready. I recently bought a NIB DPMS lpk for 30 shipped and see the pistol buffer tubes for 30 frequently.

I've been looking, and didn't find such deals, but I have no idea what I'm doing either.

I'm going to wait another week or so, even though I have the money from selling my muzzleloader, just to be sure I'm getting what I want.

I think I'm going to sell my Ruger M77 All Weather 22-250 (SS/Synthetic skeleton stock) to fund an upper. From what I've seen online, it should bring about $550.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dug around in the safe last night, and here's what I have to work with so far. The stock and grip at top are extra, and the bottom shows the lower with the other parts I have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Guns/ARFlowerandgrips.jpg

The lower.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Guns/ARFlower.jpg

I'm thinking about selling my muzzleloader, to raise the money for this gun. I didn't even go out last ML season, and the one coming up I can use my Super Blackhawk (if I practice more first).

I bet there will be parts at my shoot and swap meet sat
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably so, but it's not close and I rarely do anything other than go to church on Saturdays.

Good suggestion though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
No parts bought yet, but I have my 22-250 up for sale so I've been looking around in the AR15 Parts-New-Upper Receiver forum for parts to build an upper. I've never had one apart, so I'm not even sure what all I need.

I've seen two things in that forum that confused me. I don't know much about NFA, but there's an M16 upper receiver and an M16 bolt carrier for sale/sold in there. Shouldn't those be in the NFA Firearms and Parts forum?

Here's what I found so far, just trying to get an idea what all I need;

7.5" Barrel $139

Gas tube and pin $10.50

Barrel nut $10

Hand guard cap $5

Delta ring $20

BCG $115

Charging handle $20

Forward assist and ejection port assy $20

Upper rcvr $125

I know I still need to add a gas block, and a standard front sight. What else am I missing?

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The m16 bolt and upper are not considered NFA items so they are GTG if you want to use them for this build. I believe that with a 7.5" barrel you have to use a short free float tube because the hand guard would only be like 3" long...the tubes are cheap enough...probably around 30-40 or you can scavenge a used longer one and cut it to length.

ETA: with a FF tube no barrel nut or Dring is needed so you save a couple bucks there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No parts bought yet, but I have my 22-250 up for sale so I've been looking around in the AR15 Parts-New-Upper Receiver forum for parts to build an upper. I've never had one apart, so I'm not even sure what all I need.

I've seen two things in that forum that confused me. I don't know much about NFA, but there's an M16 upper receiver and an M16 bolt carrier for sale/sold in there. Shouldn't those be in the NFA Firearms and Parts forum?

Here's what I found so far, just trying to get an idea what all I need;

7.5" Barrel $139

Gas tube and pin $10.50

Barrel nut $10

Hand guard cap $5

Delta ring $20

BCG $115

Charging handle $20

Forward assist and ejection port assy $20

Upper rcvr $125

I know I still need to add a gas block, and a standard front sight. What else am I missing?

I know you weren't asking, but I'll donate a OEM Charging handle to the project.  Its from a new Upper that I replaced the Charging handle with the BCM/VLTOR Big Latch or whatever their called...

If ya like PM me, where ya want it shipped too and I'll get it out this week...

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info GG; I didn't know any of that.

Scott, I definitely wasn't fishing, but I won't turn down your offer either. Thank you.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Probably this;

YHM-9394-H Hooded front sight tower with bayo Lug Front flip up sight gas block $79

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Scott, I definitely wasn't fishing, but I won't turn down your offer either. Thank you.

oh I know and I did not take it that way...  Just figured I could help a Brotha out...

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are very welcome. I have a 7.5" build that I really enjoy thow it is a bit temperamental. I'm on my phone so posting picks is a pita but it is a CMMG barrel with an unknown name FF tube that is wraped in para cord....  Smullen likes it but it did scare him one time....
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are very welcome. I have a 7.5" build that I really enjoy thow it is a bit temperamental. I'm on my phone so posting picks is a pita but it is a CMMG barrel with an unknown name FF tube that is wraped in1 para cord.... Smullen likes it but it did scare him one time....
Yes, fun lil Pop'er!!!!  

What the "Run away" 6 in 1 pull???

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Palmetto State Armory has complete lower build kits for building pistol lowers for $100 I think.

I just found it;

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/psa-pistol-lower-build-kit.html

That looks like the best deal to me.

I've been looking at LPKs, and they're at least $50.

Buffer tubes with just tube and spring are $50 - $60, with complete ones being $65 and up.

$99.95 total (plus one shipping price, rather than two) sounds better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit - Got it ordered, and at $106 it's cheaper than the $125 I got for my muzzleloader.

I also have a buyer for my 22-250, and he'll be sending me a USPS Money Order at the end of this week. Then it'll be time to order parts for my upper.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I just found it;

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/psa-pistol-lower-build-kit.html

That looks like the best deal to me.

I've been looking at LPKs, and they're at least $50.

Buffer tubes with just tube and spring are $50 - $60, with complete ones being $65 and up.

$99.95 total (plus one shipping price, rather than two) sounds better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit - Got it ordered, and at $106 it's cheaper than the $125 I got for my muzzleloader.

I also have a buyer for my 22-250, and he'll be sending me a USPS Money Order at the end of this week. Then it'll be time to order parts for my upper.

hmmm, I have a nice Mega Billet lower layin around thats lookin to do something...  That might be the ticket...

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I got the email from PSA that my parts have been shipped, and I got one from the guy who's buying my 22-250 saying that he's mailing the Money Order today.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#32]

I've got my lower and some MOs on their way to me as well.  April seems to be the AR Build Month.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I've got my lower and some MOs on their way to me as well.  April seems to be the AR Build Month.  

Shit, I better get on it then...  

Wait, I got no money.. n.m...

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, my AR will be a built lower for a little while...have a few things to take care of before I can finish the rest.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quick cell phone pic of my AR pistol lower build. Waiting on a DI45acp upper from Ron Williams. This will be my first AR pistol. Can't wait to take it to the range.

Spikes lower receiver
Spikes enhanced LPK
RRA pistol buffer tube
Spikes t2 buffer with weight removed for break in (recommended by Ron)
Standard carbine  buffer spring
Red, White, and Blue color fill by me
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Heck yeah! I put together an A2 upper a few days ago....just need an upper to go on it.

For you pistol guys if you use an ACE pistol stock a spacer for the A2 upper can go on the end of it and give you an extra inch of "stock" length and along the cane tip it works very well as a no tax sbr. I am tring to post picks but from my phone its not working so well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So roughly half of my recent post have been double taps
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heck yeah! I put together an A2 upper a few days ago....just need an upper to go on it.

For you pistol guys if you use an ACE pistol stock a spacer for the A2 upper can go on the end of it and give you an extra inch of "stock" length and along the cane tip it works very well as a no tax sbr. I am tring to post picks but from my phone its not working so well.
Wait wut?  You put together an upper a few days ago, but need and upper for the upper to go on????

Oh Yea I know someone that wants you to do a tutorial on how to wrap the pistol tube with the Paracord as you do....

and I think your gonna need plenty of pics...

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait wut?  You put together an upper a few days ago, but need and upper for the upper to go on????

Oh Yea I know someone that wants you to do a tutorial on how to wrap the pistol tube with the Paracord as you do....

and I think your gonna need plenty of pics...

ooooppppps! A2 lower that needs an upper. Beat all to shit stock and all!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Red, White, and Blue color fill by me

Details? I'd love to do that to mine.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:

oh I know and I did not take it that way...  Just figured I could help a Brotha out...

Arrived today.

Thank you very much.

ETA - Thanks also for the tactical bottle opener.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

P, White, and Blue color fill by me

Here's what you need:
Testor model enamel paint
Acetone
Toothpicks
Card stock or business card
Rag that won't leave fuzz behind (old t-shirt works great)
Some thing to color fill

Use rag and acetone to clean area to be color filled. Take toothpick and testor paint and fill in engravings. Let dry for 5 mins.

Use card stock to wipe away access paint from surface leaving the paint in the engravings. Let dry for 20 mins.

Use rag and acetone to gently and lightly wipe away all paint from surface without rubbing paint out of engravings. Repeat process if necessary to achieve solid fill.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I think even I can do that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#44]
IM Sent.

I may have a few things to help with your upper.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#45]
LOL, see what I started...

We got some good Peeps in this HTF and I'm glad to be associated!!!!  

You guys rock!!!  

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I certainly agree with that. I always enjoyed being around you guys whether it was for shooting, get -togethers, whatever.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's what you need:
Acetone
Toothpicks
Some thing to color fill
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07111040.jpg
Use rag and acetone to clean area to be color filled. Take toothpick and testor paint and fill in engravings. Let dry for 5 mins.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07111636.jpg
Use card stock to wipe away access paint from surface leaving the paint in the engravings. Let dry for 20 mins.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07111937.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07112102.jpg
Use rag and acetone to gently and lightly wipe away all paint from surface without rubbing paint out of engravings. Repeat process if necessary to achieve solid fill.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07112838.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07124512.jpg

Looks great! I always wondered how that was done...thanks for the pics!

How well does the paint hold up to oil and bore solvents?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's what you need:
Acetone
Toothpicks
Some thing to color fill
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07111040.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07111636.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07111937.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07112102.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07112838.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/2012-04-07124512.jpg

Looks great! I always wondered how that was done...thanks for the pics!

How well does the paint hold up to oil and bore solvents?

Holds up to oil well. Bore solvents will remove it over time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#49]
UPS just dropped off a box from PSA. I didn't even open it yet, but I'm excited.

Edit - The MO for the 22-250 I'm selling just got here, so I'll be working on the upper very soon also.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#50]
It's going to look cool. I just put a couple of the parts one on, long enough for a pic;

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top