Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:26:46 AM EDT
Continuation of discussion from here.

jockeys wrote:
2 gun is cool, too, it's all about the transitions. it might be rough to do scatterguns at first, because you have to have different (and MUCH sturdier, for slugs) kinds of targets and stuff. also agree that adding a rifle stage to an action pistol match is the easiest way to get in... the poppers for that can take hits from a .223 but theres no way they'd take buckshot/slugs. something to think about.

I actually think the rifles would be harder on the poppers than slugs, and definitely worse than buckshot.

cnemikeman wrote:
I think one of the biggest issues will be the actual design of the range itself. The only bay that I think would be considered "safe" would be the pistol bay.

agreed, for any type of moving-and-shooting, wide-arc scenarios.  But you don't get much distance in there.  The far-right (full auto) rifle range is another good choice.  With proper placement of targets and shooters you won't have any problems.

The other thing too, the range doesn't own the steel, so the owner may or may not want it shot with rifles........ It "could" work, we'll just keep discussion going till we come up with a viable offering.

You're right, I doubt he would want us shooting rifles at his steel.  The plates and/or poppers might hold up to it, but the stands probably won't.  If we do this, it will need to be on paper  IDPA targets only, at least at first.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I still think it has potential........  just need some relatively easy stage design at first, to give it a 'test run' with, and see how that goes. I also think that if the class gets offered, a bigger acceptance to this type of match will happen, too. I'll look for a couple quick, easy stages and see what I can come up with.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]

I'll look for a couple quick, easy stages and see what I can come up with.

Our best bet at first might just be to shoot one or two of the paper stages with carbines after the pistol match is over, maybe adding a target or two at increased distances (50Y or so).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'll look for a couple quick, easy stages and see what I can come up with.

Our best bet at first might just be to shoot one or two of the paper stages with carbines after the pistol match is over, maybe adding a target or two at increased distances (50Y or so).

yeah, i'd be up for that.  

also, en re rifles vs shotguns, i think the rifle might penetrate the plate a bit more, but almost certainly a 12ga is going to screw up whatever the plate is mounted on, eg the shock of a slug hitting could break the welds and knock the plate off.  all the things in dallas i've shot where slugs were used, we used balancing poppers and not hinged ones for that very reason.  i think the biggest (waist level) poppers might survive, but the little ones (shin high) most certainly would not.

doesn't most of the steel belong to Harold?  I think the star was his, for some reason i remember some of the other stuff being his as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]

doesn't most of the steel belong to Harold?  I think the star was his, for some reason i remember some of the other stuff being his as well.

It is all his.  I'm assuming he gets paid for its use out of the match fees.

If we started doing side matches for carbines and charging a small extra fee, that fee could go toward buying targets and equipment specifically for those purposes.  Lots to consider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top