Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:36:32 PM EDT
Just saw the Turner ads today they have a COLT 1991A1, (NEW ROLLMARKS) in the ad for sale.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wanted people to know since Colts are as rare as a elephant running down 805 south.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Paul,

I disagree.  Remember the problems with Kimber's Series II?  Turns out it's not as bad as the hype made it out to be.  With any mass-production pistol, and especially one that needs as much tuning as a 1911, you're going to take your chances with any brand.  It's a question of who has better QC on the line.

As a personal point of reference, out of my 4 1911's I've had to send the Springfield back one time and the LW Baer back twice.  The 15 year old Colt Mark IV and the steel framed Baer have been flawless.  A family member's Series I Kimber Pro-Carry went tits up the first time it was taken out to the range and had to be sent back.

These are almost 100 year old designs!

How many Glocks have been sent back because they failed to run?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just wanted people to know since Colts are as rare as a elephant running down 805 south.hr

There's a reason for that. The quality and customer service have sucked biggest time for decades. You pay your money, you take your chances. The name Colt ain't worth shit. Have a look at the offerings by Kimber and Springfield Armory for a better chance at getting a weapon worth risking your hard earned money on. If you buy your weapons for the name on the side of them then jump on this sale so you can add a popular name to your safe ... otherwise have a look at the Kimbers sitting next to the Colts on the same shelf.

I bought my 1911A1 about ten years ago and passed up Colts due to all the quality issues they were having. I hope things have gotten better but in my book the name is just that - and I buy weapons not guns.

YMMV

I am thinking more of a investment purchase.  Colt pistols appreciate in value as they get older.  I have a m1911 made in in 1917 which i bought 5 years ago for $489 now it doubled in price.  In my opinion if you get a 1911 for shooting purposes it should be a Springfield and a Colt for investments.  Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I dunno, kinda like the AK vs AR argument, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

a bunch of .40 cals and bunch of 19's with the clinton cap mags
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
colts in kali? i was in turners about a day before that ad came out and one of the sales guys was telling some customer "you cant buy colts in kali" when they were talking about 1911s.

i didnt embarrass him or start an argument by pointing out the error in his ways
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
colts in kali? i was in turners about a day before that ad came out and one of the sales guys was telling some customer "you cant buy colts in kali" when they were talking about 1911s.

i didnt embarrass him or start an argument by pointing out the error in his ways

Can't realy blame the sales guy.  Kaliforniastan gun laws always confuse people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#10]
wtf..i payed $399 for my 1991a1 back in 1995 nib

I LOVE IT!!

now i have a 2.5lb trigger job, extended ejector, wilson trigger

When I purchased from the gunstore, the owner/gunsmith had gone through it and debured it, polished the ramp and throat, and a few other things.  the thing feeds SWC no problem, always has.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't realy blame the sales guy.  Kaliforniastan gun laws always confuse people.

Our illustratous legislators already said that "there were too guns on the street(read "too many guns owned by civilians")." And they are doing everything they can to limit the number of gun sales in Calif by putting a number of paper work hurdles in place.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our illustratous legislators already said that "there were too guns on the street(read "too many guns owned by civilians")." And they are doing everything they can to limit the number of gun sales in Calif by putting a number of paper work hurdles in place.

I propose that the people should rise up and fire all the flamming liberal politicians and start over from scratch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I propose that the people should rise up and fire all the flamming liberal politicians and start over from scratch.

Not going to happen, too many gunners that are only interesting in shooting and does not want to get involved in politics.  Believe I've tried. SASS and the 50Cal Club people only THEIR own guns were threaten with legislation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally broke down and bought the pistol.  It was a sale and not a sale.  I guess according to PRK AKA: Kaliforniastan.  They tack on the DOJ fees to the pistol and then run the sales tax.  Does anybody here think this is illegal for the state to do.  Its like buying a car and the state tacks on the DMV fees and then taxes you for a higher rate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
turners is bs. they should only tax the original price not after dros.

i did a PPT on 2 long guns they would not put both on the same dros. it should have been $40 but the charged me $60
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#17]
The DROS is not subject to tax. The "dealer" is a spaz...

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#32
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Turners SuCkS !!!! I sell Kimbers in my shop. The only great Colt's are the old ones. And yes Colt has a poor customer service policy. I could not imagine trying sell guns there, Although I do miss the beach.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Turners SuCkS !!!! I sell Kimbers in my shop. The only great Colt's are the old ones. And yes Colt has a poor customer service policy. I could not imagine trying sell guns there, Although I do miss the beach.......

Turner's sells Kimbers also...so if Turners sucks and they sell the same items as you, can we assume that you are of equal quality?

ETA: Turner's is probably also cheaper....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Few weeks ago a guy at Evan's Gunsmithing told me Colt will no longer certify their guns for California sale, so there won't be any new Colt coming in.  But it just happens they have several NIB Colts for sale at considerable mark up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The DROS is not subject to tax. The "dealer" is a spaz...

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#32

Thanks for the link.  I think I will contact the store manager and show them the link hopefully I will get some of my money back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top