Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2004 7:52:52 AM EDT
Hey, since most of ya'll know of ATLGA's plight with his AK and the need for him to either sell it or fix it, I'll cut to the chase.  Anyone here know how to assemble an AK out of parts and what tools/supplies to use?  He's looking at the Ohio Ordinance Works AK receiver to use with his AK right now, minus receiver (his receiver is FUBARed...)  ATLGA can't post stuff on ARFCOM right now due to the pussies at his work, so I'm doing it for him.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Get an AR.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the biggest problem part would be the barrel/trunion. If it's already attached to the reciever and headspaced, the rest is simple......not complicated at all. If the barrel needs to be pressed into the trunion, you would need a press, and headspace gauges. If the trunion needs to be riveted to the reciever, you could rivet or go with a screw build. Kinda depends on exactly what is needed. I've not had my AK long, but everything I've worked on has been fairly simple with common tools..................

archer2
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#4]
you guys DO realize we've got an entire section of this website dedicated to AKs?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Book,

I found this site after looking for info on the AK.
While the top of your screen may say AR15.com, mine says AK47.net.......
Info can be found on the AK47 part of the site. As I said I'm new to the AK47 and am still learning, but the site has great information....P806, and Taxman are over on the "dark side"  of the site too. I'm told that once you go to the dark side, you never come back..........

archer2
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you guys DO realize we've got an entire section of this website dedicated to AKs?

on arfcom?, yer kidding me.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got the 12 ton press, the rivet jig and triggergaurd jig for assembling an AK. I live in Snellville and am in the middle of building an AMD65 and AKS74 and an AK74, I'll let you know how it goes hopefully by the weekend if UPS and FedEx ever get here. Have him PM me and I'll try and pass on anything I can.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been over on the AK side a few times, but had never seen building instructions.  Guess I was looking in the wrong place.

AKs are just not my cup of tea.  I'd like to get one someday, but just have too many other projects on my list.  

Ever shot a REAL full-auto AK?  I have.    Now THAT is fun!

Check the "build it yourself" section! check the pinned threads

Full-auto AKs.. of all flavors.. PKM's... Among the better memories from my visit to Ukraine!

...Just fine if you've got the $$ for a transferable, and SOT, or enough land behind your house...
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey, since most of ya'll know of ATLGA's plight with his AK and the need for him to either sell it or fix it, I'll cut to the chase.  Anyone here know how to assemble an AK out of parts and what tools/supplies to use?  He's looking at the Ohio Ordinance Works AK receiver to use with his AK right now, minus receiver (his receiver is FUBARed...)  ATLGA can't post stuff on ARFCOM right now due to the pussies at his work, so I'm doing it for him.  

Now normally I don't post here but instead lurk in the shadows and live vicariously through you people's adventures. Hey, what can I say,  I like to watch.  This post however has piqued my curiosity and brought me out of my spider hole. The thought of a sick and injured Kalashnikov, (the pride of Mother Russia and the Com-Bloc), has touched my heart.  Wha happened?  Sorry to hear about the loss. Hope it wasn't a pre-ban norinco or some other high dollar AK.

As far as building, all the info he needs can be gathered from the AK side of ARFCOM and should he desire to stray at www.gunco.net

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now normally I don't post here but instead lurk in the shadows and live vicariously through you people's adventures.

Now you've gone and done it. You have to show up at the next shoot/show. Sorry, regulations.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, it's true, I've been socializing with "them" people and am currently building an AMD as we speak.  Ok, I feel better now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, the deal is this, ATLGA's got a complete AK right now--a FEGK-something-or-'nother (I'm not an AK guy ) and its mostly functional.  However, the receiver as it is right now is kinda messed up.  The holes are elongating, and its Ohio Rapid Fire's (ATLGA sent it to them to fix, but they said it needed a new receiver) assessment that the receiver was not properly heat-treated, and thus is too soft.  The only remedy would be to take all of the parts and put it on a new receiver, so as I understand it, the barrel is already pressed into the trunion and the headspacing is fine.  Its the actual assembly of the parts on a newly made receiver that seems troublesome.  What is used to attach the parts to it?  Screws?  Anyone here who has the tools to do that?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok, the deal is this, ATLGA's got a complete AK right now--a FEGK-something-or-'nother (I'm not an AK guy ) and its mostly functional.  However, the receiver as it is right now is kinda messed up.  The holes are elongating, and its Ohio Rapid Fire's (ATLGA sent it to them to fix, but they said it needed a new receiver) assessment that the receiver was not properly heat-treated, and thus is too soft.  The only remedy would be to take all of the parts and put it on a new receiver, so as I understand it, the barrel is already pressed into the trunion and the headspacing is fine.  Its the actual assembly of the parts on a newly made receiver that seems troublesome.  What is used to attach the parts to it?  Screws?  Anyone here who has the tools to do that?  

FYI, A FEG receiver is Hungarian. Now you are officially an AK guy.  I'm surprised that it has a problem.  The simple way would be to screw it. It reguires minimum tools.

Go ye to the mountain top and seek out the father of the screw build CAMPYBOB

imho, If it is an AK-74 clone, I would use a OOW receiver. If it's a AK-47 clone, I would use a Hesse or a Vulcan receiver.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the OOH Receiver minimally heat treated and prone to having issues down the road?  I know there were a ton of threads on AK-47.net regarding that issue and Chris at ak103 ( http://www.ak-103.com ) will do a heat treat on them.  

Global Trades does make a fully heat treated receiver but the problem is they made it 1.6mm thickness so you have to monkey with the trunions because all the East Euro stuff is designed to go onto a 1.0mm thick receiver.

Anyway, hope it works out for him.  Let me know if I can help in any way.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Most of the receivers that you see out there require some sort of heat treating. The good thing is that you dont need to do the whole receiver, just the trigger pin holes, hammer pin holes and the ejector. The good thing is I've been doing it as others have suggested by doing it with a MAPP torch. It works real easy and so far has done it right every time.
It sucks for his receiver and hope he can make it right. Normally, if you do a rivet build you have to press the barrel from the trunnion, thats to do it the correct way. I have read where others have carefully removed the existing rivets though and used the barrel as a buck without any problems as long as the receiver is partially pressed into the trunnion holes like its supposed to. The rivets are long enough to where they can properly swell inside the hole as well as giving a decent head on the back side. If you can get the old rivets out, this is ideal because then you dont have to deal with pressing back in the barrel. As a matter of fact, I may go this route the next time just to make things easier.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I built a AMD-63 on a OOW reciever by screwing it togather after drilling and tapping. I have a 65 kit too. If someone wants to post a pic here, send me an E-mail address.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I built a AMD-63 on a OOW reciever by screwing it togather after drilling and tapping. I have a 65 kit too. If someone wants to post a pic here, send me an E-mail address.

I'll post it, email sent.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Ghost, what kinda rifle does he have that the Rivets and holes wallored out on him? Just a couriosity. Didn't Joel have a Romanian SAR 1 that the rear rivets loosened up on him?  WarDawg.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Dunno about the particulars.  You might want to call him and find out.  IM me for his number.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Howdy fellas!!
 Yes it is an FEG rec ak. It seems it was not heat treated and the holes are getting out of shape. This really sucks because ive put some money into the rifle, such as Kvar stock/RedStar hook plate and making it 922 compliant. It still runs but im thinking about just selling it way cheap with its extras. I tried a few weeks ago but was asking high . Big thanks to my man CT on posting this for me. Looks like I may have internet access at home again. This ol'e laptop of mine just got a Bios upgrade and some more memory so we will see how it runs. b
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, buddy, hopefully this will get you started in your search for a functioning AK  

Edited to say: hmm, I guess the location edit feature works, since it shows I'm in the PRK.  Too bad I can't delete this, cause its giving me the creeps
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, im gonna post it for sale tonight I think, dont have the time to mess with it.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yeah, im gonna post it for sale tonight I think, dont have the time to mess with it.  hr

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#27]
replied
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top