Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT
Two days, $70
About all the ammo you can shoot
learn how to shoot a rifle well and correctly from basic positions.

For $70, how can you go wrong?

www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?topic=811.0

Registration form

You are running out of time to pre-register, but even if you decide on the morning of the 28th, we'll find room for you on the line.

What to bring

what will be taught:
This is the course of fire on Saturday:

1.  20 Round Classification
  2.  20 Round Classification
  3.  5 Sighters
  4.  5 Sighters
  5.  5 Sighters
  6.  40 Round qd-AQT
  7.  10 Rounds prone practice
  8.  10 Rounds prone with sling practice
  8.  10 Rounds sitting practice
  9.  10 Rounds standing practice
  10.  Ball-n-dummy
  11.  40 Round rapid fire qd-AQT
  12.  40 Round rapid fire qd-AQT

This the course of fire on Sunday:
  1.  20 Round Classification
  2.  Ball-n-dummy from prone
  3.  10 rounds Sitting, stand up after two shots; NPOA drill
  4.  10 rounds Single fire standing... walk away from line between shots...NPOA drill
  5.  10 rounds Standing in 2 minutes (compare groups)
  6.  12 rounds, mag change drill, 6 targets, two shots into each target including the mag change.
  7.  24 rounds Rapid fire:  4 shots in 12 seconds or less , repeated 6 times into 1" square

100 Yard Range
  1.  5 shots at 100 yards, sights set at 200 meters...transition target
  2.  5 shots at 100 yards, sights set at 200 meters...transition target
  3.  5 shots at 100 yards, sights at 300 meters....transition target
  4.  5 shots at 100 yards, sights at 400 meters....transition target
  5.  40 round rapid fire AQT at 100 yards....

200 Yard Range
  1.  5 rounds at simulated 1400 yard target
  2.  10 rounds shoot and scoot (firing done at 200 prone, 150 standing, 100 supported prone

Topics discussed:
1.  Six steps of firing the shot.
2.  prone position
3.  sitting position
4.  standing position
5.  sling usage, hasty hasty, hasty,  loop
6.  npoa
7.  call the shot
8.  talking targets
9.  dragging wood...trigger finger
10.  rapid fire, rifleman's cadence
11.  mag changes
12.  barrel maintenance
13.  inches/minutes/ clicks
14.  come ups
15.  doping wind, Fred's simplified rule
16.  adjusting sights
17.  Six o'clock holds, Center holds
18.  Target identification
19.  Range determination...front sight width.
20.  Cheek weld

That is a lot of information for a two day program and only $70.

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I guarentee you will enjoy it!

Unless you alerady shoot perfect 600 scores in Hi-power competition or similar small bore events...

Unless you can make that 500 yard shot on demand, after running half a mile to get to the vantage point for fire...

You _will_learn something from this clinic that will help in every aspect of marksmanship you decide to participate in!

Wake up Texans!

Remember the Alamo, if not Lexington and Concord!

Consider the current crisis' around the globe, ...and in your own back yard.

Defend your States reputation. Come on out and spend two days with Fred and his team to learn how to more effectively use those God given Rights enumerated in the Second Amendment!

OK, this is an AR-15 board. shooting at a measily 25 yards doesn't sound so hard...but keep EVERY ROUND within an inch (4 MOA) is a bit harder than most of you realize. And yet, it's possible.

Use that super dooper match conditioned rifle, and they'll show you how to make 400-500 yard accurate shots.

You're more of a battle rifle girl or guy? Bring 'em, and they'll do the same.

But I only have a bolt gun...bring that as well. You may have a bit of a challenge in re-loading those integral box magazines under the scope, but they'll adapt for you, and the lesson is still in making EVERY SHOT COUNT.

I can only handle a .22LR ...

Well, the marksmanship skills are transferrable, and a rack quality .22LR is fine for this training clinic.

Remember, as BozemanMT said, $70.00 for TWO FULL DAYS OF INSTRUCTION. How can you go wrong!

Any non-full auto rifle .32 cal or less, any sight system (scopes are ok) is fine. Bring what ya got, along with a willingness to improve, and I'm sure that you'll have an enjoyable weekend!

Pacer
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A big +1 on the Appleseed.

In addition to all the technical stuff you can pick up its just incredible to "hang out" with so many like minded gun people. My 12 year old daughter can just about outshoot me after just attending one shoot. (by the way anyone under 20 or active duty shoot for FREE)
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds cool. I try and make it...and bring a couple buddies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Sounds cool. I try and make it...and bring a couple buddies.hatI attended an Appleseed event in September with my brother and two other friends. We all had a great time and learned a lot. A lot of things came together for me that weekend (calling the shots, natural point of aim, etc.) and I'm a much more consistent shooter.  Net result, I'm enjoying my hobby more than I ever did.

Tony
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm considering attending. I have some questions though.

1. How much ammo would constitute "plenty of ammo"? 200? 300? 400? 500?
2. Can a buddy come along if he has no rifle and just wants to watch some of the shooting one morning and then take off?
3. Sounds like under 18 are okay, but I just want to make sure. Got a 16 year-old cousin who might want to join me if I go and I want to make sure it's okay for him.
4. What are the hours? When does it start, when does it finish? When are breaks?
5. Is it possible to rent a rifle for use (got another friend who might want to come too, but he has no rifle of his own yet), or is it bring your own exclusively? And before you suggest giving him a spare, I only have one rifle, and it's mine.
6. Are there any restrictions on ammo types? That is, if I bring a portion of my M855 stockpile, would that be a problem?
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:

2. Can a buddy come along if he has no rifle and just wants to watch some of the shooting one morning and then take off?
3. Sounds like under 18 are okay, but I just want to make sure. Got a 16 year-old cousin who might want to join me if I go and I want to make sure it's okay for him.
4. What are the hours? When does it start, when does it finish? When are breaks?
5. Is it possible to rent a rifle for use (got another friend who might want to come too, but he has no rifle of his own yet), or is it bring your own exclusively? And before you suggest giving him a spare, I only have one rifle, and it's mine. here

All good questions. I'll tell you about my experience at the Appleseed project. You might want to ask the same questions on the "www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php" for an "official" answer.
1. How much ammo?  I went for both days in Sept and I brought 300 rounds for myself. I think I used 200-250 rounds. I'd bring 300+ just in case. If the people on the line all have rifles in good working order then the line will get more trigger time. We had some people show up with some rifles that still had cosmoline in them.
2. There were several observers (family members, friends, even a newspaper reporter) when I attended. If a friend comes along to watch or to "check things out" then bring an extra set of hearing protection for them - that's my suggestion.
3. Young men and women are welcome and encouraged to come. I heard about one Appleseed where many pre-teens came with their fathers to learn to shoot. The important thing is that they know about safety before they get there. They take safety very seriously at Appleseed (as they should).
4.  http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?topic=421.0
5. I would suggest asking one of the moderators from www.rwva.org about this. I know something was in the works in case of rifle problems, etc. Not having a suitable (or any) rifle might fall into that category. :-)  It might end up being a 10/22 with a peep and a match trigger but it makes a great trainer.
6. Ammo types may be range specific, however most outdoor ranges wouldn't limit M855 but they would have something to say about tracers and incendiary projectiles ;-)
Using M855 was fine where my event was. That's what I gave my brother to shoot.

I hope that helps, Frost7.
Tony
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

200 per day should be PLENTY.  I brought like wayyy too much last time, but better to have too much ammo than not enough.  As the earlier posted stated, it all depends on your line.

Yes, but he should bring a rifle, he'll get sucked in.

Oh hell yes.  8 and over is fine.  Under 20 is free (although you should still pre-register so we know how much stuff to bring and who is going to be there).   He'll outshoot you by the end of the day.  (darn young eyes. )

Starts no later than 8:30, try to be there a little early.  It finishes by 5pm.  There is a lunch break of a 1/2 hour.  It's a lot of program to get through.  You can always take a break if you need to and just skip that exercise.  It's a LONG two days.  You get a lot of training out of it.  You will be exhuasted the first day, you go home (hotel) and clean and just rest and then you go back on sunday and you rejuvinated and everything starts to come together.  Take water and some fruit or snacks, just keep it with you on the line.  

5. Is it possible to rent a rifle for use (got another friend who might want to come too, but he has no rifle of his own yet), or is it bring your own exclusively? And before you suggest giving him a spare, I only have one rifle, and it's mine.

Not unless the range does it.  Remember, this is at 25 yards for much of it (til we go out to the longer ranges and show you that what works at 25 works at 500 yards).  So a 22LR works fine.  More than a couple people have brought 10/22's with a couple magazines.  That's 150 bucks.

6. Are there any restrictions on ammo types? That is, if I bring a portion of my M855 stockpile, would that be a problem?

Some ranges have restrictions, check the rwva.org link above for that range.  Some of them (and California is the one that comes to mind) restrict steel core.  Obviously incidiary and tracers are out.  

After re-reading this, I wanted to clarify my answer.  Appleseed is designed around rack grade surplus rifles and rack grade surplus ammo.   4MOA is the goal, that's 1inch at 25 yards or 20 inches at 500 yards.  Now you might think that that's easy and maybe it is.  But I'll tell you that damn few people can shoot that from standing, sitting and prone before this program.  I've seen it and this it the people who are willing to put their money down and come out and improve.  You will be a better shooter.  After the program gives you the skills and exercises, it is just up to you to practice.  Anyone can shoot rifleman, all it takes is practice.  

Also, bring a sling, a sling makes all the difference in the world.

Come on out, you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm coming up from Austin / Central Texas and would like to find anyone else interested in splitting the travel / fuel / lodging for this!

Anyone from San Antonio, San Marcos, Austin, Georgetown, Killeen or Temple let me know!

(E-mail works best!)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
for the LE types can you advise if they can get TCLEOSE training hours for this class?  thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
for the LE types can you advise if they can get TCLEOSE training hours for this class?  thanks.

Have no idea
You'd have to ask your training coordinator.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#13]
BTT
Getting close!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know if they still have openings?  Can one register electronically or over the phone?

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#16]
There are always openings at an Appleseed.  Fear not.  The entire range is reserved.  They can fit up to 300 shooters in Mingus.  Hope to see you there!!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody got the lowdown on camping at the range or close by?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump on up for this is a GREAT Rifle Training event for a Very Modest Price!!

Again, if anyone is heading up from Central Texas, I'd like to split driving and accomodations with a fellow shooter!

E-mail me!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#20]
BTT
This weekend
Supposed to be beautiful weather, heck of a good time and lots of knowledge
Come on out and register the morning of the shoot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#21]
bumpage
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Whaddaya know, it's going on rightnow!
Hope you're shooting well, folks!

I went to my first Appleseed earlier this year, and am really looking forward to attending another one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't get to go. Damnit.

AAR?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Wasn't able to make it myself.

Any idea if Appleseed will be back in Texas again?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top