Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 11:36:21 AM EDT
 Open war has been declared between myself and the damn flying rats (pigeons) that are eating the hell out of the grass seed I just laid in my backyard.  I went to walmart today and got a little crossman pellet gun and in the last two hours I have repeatedly engaged enemy airborne troops with limited success.

My question is, does shooting a pellet gun in your back yard count as discharging a firearm in city limits? What about the legality of killing pigeons?

Thanks, I'm off to stand guard by my backdoor now. They won't kill MY lawn without a fight!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What city are you in?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Las Vegas, not north town.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Las Vegas, not north town.

Its illegal but chances are no one will know. Just dont run around your block shooting birds.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Las Vegas has a law...." Unlawful discharge of a air rifle with in city limits", er something like that.  It is a misdeminor of some low level.  I remember reading it on this board a few months back.

I say kill ALL of the nasty little pricks!

I myself have used a blowgun on more than 1 flying rat.....problem is it takes them a week to die, so all the neigbors begin to notice "funny wires" sticking out of all the birds in the hood.

I would suspect that a crossman 760 ($35 from wall mart) along with a box of good heavy pellets would go along way in helping to reduce your infestation.  

It did wonders at my house.

"G"
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, BTW, I chum the little bastards in with bird seed....also available at wal mart.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a spring pellet rifle at the gun show a year or so back.  Does a good job actually.  :)

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Although I'm SURE that's WAAAAAY more fun, wouldn't some form of poison be more effective??
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Poison is no good, falcons and other birds of prey take a bite and die also. Yes, falcons and hawks live in town. There is a big falcon that has lived on top of the tower at Jerry's Nugget for a couple years. Every time I have to do work there he let's us know who's tower it is. Another big one lives at Silverton, just walk around the bottom of the big sign and count dead bodies. I prefer some Alka-selzer crunched up in small pieces and mixed in with some birdseed. Just keep it quiet or PETA will on your ass...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
So far I've only got one confirmed kill. It was cool though.

I pegged him in the chest and he started flopping aroung the back yard. My dog tried to nab him but got scared and ran back inside while barking menacingly.

He flopped his way into my kitchen befor I fianlly caught him. I grabbed him by the neck and gave it a quick snap..........and his head came off in my hand!

While his torso is bleeding out on my kitchen floor, I look at my hand and the little bastard is looking at me and BLINKING!!  It took several second for his eyes to close, in the mean time I was running around my house screaming like a little girl with a pigeon head in my hand.
Can't wait for tomorrow morning!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude, you are SO going to jail.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Just for the record in the city of Las Vegas, for pigeons.  And yes a shooting a pellet gun in your back yard does count as discharging a firearm in city limits.

7.32.110 Keeping animals for fights--Shooting animals or birds.

(A) It is unlawful for any person to:

(1) Own, keep, or use, or be in any manner connected with or financially interested in the management of, or to receive money or other thing of value for the admission of any person to, a house, apartment, pit or place procured or permitted to be used or occupied for an animal fighting venture;

(2) Instigate, promote, arrange, or carry on an animal fighting venture;

(3) Breed or train any animal for the purpose of using the animal in an animal fighting venture;

(4) Keep or possess any animal under circumstances evincing an intent to use the animal in an animal fighting venture; or

(5) Perform any act as assistant, umpire, principal, spectator or otherwise in a fight between animals, or in aid of or calculated to encourage or further any animal fighting venture.

(B) It is unlawful for any person who is not engaged in training a dog for field trial or hunting, or in staging a field trial or training class, to fire upon any animal, including a pigeon or other bird, unless hunting pursuant to authority granting from the U.S. Government, the State, or one of their respective political subdivisions.

(Ord. 5696 § 2, 2004: Ord. 3618 § 130, 1991)

The only lawful way is to use a pest control company and use pigeon spikes and chicken wire on your house.

And by the way, I do not like pigeon.  They are rats with wings.  But I have seen a lot of people that love them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI:

NLV Muni Code 9.32.120 Air rifle or pellet gun restricted.

It is unlawful for any person to use an air rifle or pellet gun within five hundred (500) feet of any inhabited dwelling in the city of North Las Vegas. (Prior code § 7.22.120)

ETA: This thread just jogged a childhood memory of me downing pigeons. A few of 'em nested in an area under the roofline that formed an ideal nesting place.  I shot one, but he never came down, and the others just cowered to the back wall where i couldn't get a shot.  Months later, i climbed up to put a screen in place. I was surprised to find that the other pigeons used the dead one's body to form 1/3 of their nest! Disgusting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I know Bob, I do not like pigeons and have seen the damage they can do.  But I also have to work calls from people who have a "cute injured pigeon'.  But this does help to pay the bills.

Just a word to the wise, if you are going to shoot pigeons.  Kill them outright and don't leave anything like darts in them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I am gonna try to be nice to you poor Las Vegans (ha, got the word Vegan right in your title!).
I am not advocating that anyone break the law, but this would be an excellent time to find out the specifc penalties attached to the crime. If it's worth it to ya, just remove them stealthily. I find that you can "spotlight" them just like rabbits. Hit them on their roost with a very bright light and remove them one at a time each night. Helps if you have a partner to hold the light or you can get one of the pump -up crossman air pistols and hone your skills that way. Be stealthy and don't get caught. Ghillie suit, maybe, those are inconspicuous.
My 13 year old daughter loves to whack the pigeons over at Grampa's place, good clean LEGAL family fun in these parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Reddoie................Tell the "pigeon lovers" to take them to Gil Crease.  I was in my vet's office once with my damn cat and offered this advice to a lady and 3 kids who had a hurt pigeon.  She did'nt speak English very good, she stuck the pigeon in my arm with the cat in the other arm and left.  So because of my big mouth I learned where GIl Crease is, I had drive up there and give them $5 donantion for a damn pigeon.  The vet thought is was funny.  They have a cage up there just for pigeons.

GO LEATHER PUKE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought my neighbor was BS'ing us when she told my son that he could be arrested for shooting the pigeons. She is one of the people that takes the injured pigeons to the vet and PAYS $$$ to have them seen by her vet. She told me that she has paid over $200 on several occasions??????

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I called metro, and the ordinance refers to flame throwers too.

Drat.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#21]
NRS 202.290  Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty.  Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1.  Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2.  Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,

Ê is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 344; RL § 6609; NCL § 10292]—(NRS A 1989, 820, 1240, 1243)

Las Vegas muni code
10.72.010 Limited to galleries.

It shall be unlawful within the City limits, except in a regular licensed shooting gallery to wilfully discharge any pistol, firearm, air gun, musket, or instrument of any kind, character or description which throws a bullet or missiles for any distance by means of the elastic force of air or any explosive substance.

(Ord. 39 § 1, 1913: prior code § 6-3-8)

Happy hunting.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I also use my 32oz. estwing framing hammer, seems to work pretty good...altho a little messy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys are all sick! SICK I tell you!

That's it, I can't take anymore......

I'm calling PETA!!!!

ETA:
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude,

If one (or more) of those fuckers went down I wouldn't shed a tear. The disruption of life those helicopters create in my home and the homes of my neighbors is total bullshit. Sometimes I can't hold a conversation in my own back yard in peace because of the constant drone of those things.

I know people that live near Nellis AFB and the sound of fighter jets is actually music to my ears. That noise I could certainly get used to. There is one difference though: The fighter jets are the sound of freedom, and the drone of tour helicopters is the sound of dollars and greed.

Like I said, I wouldn't shed a tear.....

TOUR COPTERS

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#27]
TOUR COPTERS AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought my neighbor was BS'ing us when she told my son that he could be arrested for shooting the pigeons. She is one of the people that takes the injured pigeons to the vet and PAYS $$$ to have them seen by her vet. She told me that she has paid over $200 on several occasions??????

thanks,
Ron

$5 says shes old and bored. Another $5 says she drove her husband to an early death years ago.

[carnie voice] We have a winner...[carnie voice]

She is old, bored and retired. Her husband is ALMOST dead and he isn't even old... just tired of her I am sure.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Buy the poor ol guy a BB gun and some bird seed!!!!!

"G"
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#30]
It warms my heart to know that I am not alone in my hatred of the evil winged ones.

As of this morning, 3 more minions of satan have been sent back to hell with my crossman 760. I find it quite effective to load a BB and Pellet in the chamber together. Seems to penetrate the rib cage easier.
My kill this morning was a head shot from about 10 yards, dropped him like a stone.

Is it wrong that I giggle a little bit every time I get one?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It warms my heart to know that I am not alone in my hatred of the evil winged ones.

Is it wrong that I giggle a little bit every time I get one?hr

My hatred of Jack Rabbits has become obsessive. The bastards have caused over 1K worth of damage to my BMW. They run out in front of my car and their head becomes a 1lb rock. When its 9 degrees outside your plastic bumper cover shatters like glass. I've taken to running over every one that I can find when I'm in my big Dodge 4X4 and giggling like a mad man when I get a confirmed kill. ALL JACK RABBITS MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!PIGEONS TOO!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I lost track of my kill count.

When I lived with my Dad, I used to smoke the lil bastards all the time because they ate his dog food. The food was right under the kitchen window, so I could stand in the kitchen and get em.

my "little brother" so to speak had the patients to camo himself outside and snipe them.

between the 2 of us, i suspect we have killed 100+ birds.

***eta*** I cant believe how much blood pours out on a head shot!!!! you'd think I'd shanked a pig!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Didn't see anyone else post this, so forgive me if it was..

I used to have a problem, as did my nieghbor with a chicken coop (sp). He'd throw out feed for his chickens, the pigoens would eat his food then come back to my house next door and wait for more. Found out (someone posted it here too) that every time they would land, it was the same damn bird that landed every time first. Found out here, that was the alpha male. Throw out some seed and wait. when they land, shoot him and let him lie there for a bit. The other birds won't land and if repeated enough times, they will leave for good. It took a few months of doing this to my friends chicken coupe (it was a massive flock of pigoens though, 50+), but they stopped coming around for a few years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I've decided that I don't REALLY want them to go away. It's become a source of entertainment for me and my kids. My 6 year old daughter comes running everytime she hears me pump up the rifle.
My 2 year old son likes to chase them around the back yard when they aren't killed outright.

It's become a family values kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Alpha male? How can you tell the difference? I never noticed if there was anything hanging down.... Do you send out a field mouse to do a interview? They all look like targets for destruction to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Are wrist rockets legal, you know the powerful hunting sling shots?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes they are legal, and its really fun when the elastic slips off the "Y" at full draw and SMACKS you in the eyeball!  ( happened to me the LAST time I shot one).
"G"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Yes they are legal, and its really fun when the elastic slippes off the "Y" at full draw and SMACKS you in the eyeball!  ( happened to me the LAST time I shot one).
"G"

OUCH!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Typed that last night holding a wiggly kid...pardon my spelling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top