Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2007 6:06:40 AM EDT
Broome County

Cost: ~$120 for restricted, up to $370 for unrestricted

Eligibility Requirements:
1.) 21 years old
2.) 3 years residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years and who have also lived in the county for 3 years.
4.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing  

Process Time: I was told 6 months, but I got mine in 5 weeks and 2 co-workers got theirs in 6-7 weeks, so its definitely less.  It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them.

Restrictions: Almost all PP's are initially issued as "hunting & target shooting only."   UPDATE: Now that we have a new county judge, he is allowing folks to get unrestricted permits.  I wrote to the judge asking for an unrestricted, I got a letter back telling me to take a $250 8-hour safety course taught by the City of Binghamton Police Dept.  I then wrote him again and was approved.  My co-worker who was from Texas and took the pistol defense course in Rochester got approved for unrestricted without having to take the $250 course.  YMMV.  Expect it to take a few months to get an answer back from the new judge

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 1-2 weeks for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol.  Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Personal Experience: Two older women do all the paperwork in the ID dept, they are super nice and know the drill.  Deputy Brady Rozelle is the LEO overseeing PP's and is also very friendly, knowledgeable, and seems very pro-2nd amendment.

Where to go: Broome County Sheriff's office www.gobroomecounty.com/sheriff/SheriffID.php

Chenango County

Pickup application at the Chenango County Clerks office. 5 Court St. Norwich, NY

Cost: when I applied
Purchase application: $10.00
Fingerprints: $30.00 at Sheriff Office
Background Check: $74.00 NYS Department of Criminal Justice.
Photographs: $12.00 "Passport quality"
Amendment Fee: $3.00 This is to add or remove a pistol. Up to 3 additions/subtractions per amendment if transfers are with the same person/business
Total: $130 Probably more now.

1.) 21 years old
2.) 6 Months residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years
5.) 4 identical 2"x2" photos- they only use 3

Process Time: 3 to 9 months - I received mine in 6 weeks

Restrictions: Most permits are restricted. Not impossible to get un-restricted. Applicant typically will meet with Judge before he issues the permit. Handgun safety course required within one year. Restrictions like "pistol must be locked with a trigger lock or similar devise when not in use" will also be on permit, whether CCW or not.

Purchasing: Permit holder purchases pistol, goes to county clerks office and does an amendment, coupon is transferred to Judge for a signature, coupon is mailed to permit holder. Permit holder can then pickup the pistol. Friday must be the day he signs coupons. I've done amendments on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I always receive the signed coupon the following Monday. Co-registering is not a problem. No-coupon needed

Personal Experience: I've never had a problem making an amendment. Lots of people to help and I’ve never waited more than 5 mins and the amendment is usually done quickly. A new permit card is issued at each amendment. It's nice not to carry the same card with crossed out pistols, wrinkles and general wear from being in my wallet. The judge who oversaw issuing when I got my permit was more liberal. Everybody received an unrestricted permit unless you asked. He also pre-signed the coupons so you didn't have to wait. I miss those days.

Where to go: Chenango County Clerk's Office. No online information at this time

Duchess County

Cost: ~$20 + $99

1.) 21 years old
2.) 1/2 year residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who have known you for 1/2 year and who have also lived in the county for > 1/2 year.

Process Time: 3-6 months, may vary..

Restrictions: Permit not good in NYC. Unrestricted permit

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 4-7 days for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol.

Personal Experience: Duchess Co Pistol Permit staff gets three thumbs up.

Where to go: www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyGov/Departments/Sheriff/SHPistPermApp.htm#meeting

Monroe County

Cost:
Purchase application: $5.00
Fingerprints: $30.00 cash if Rochester resident, $15.00 cash if elsewhere in Monroe County
Background Check: $99.00
Photographs: $0.38 if you use a digital camera and online photo printer like walmart.com
Application Fee: $5.00
Total: $130-$140 plus parking

1.) 21 years old
3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years - If you have not lived in Monroe county for 3 years then you must provide 4 references from Monroe County that have known you as long as you have lived here. Also 3 additional notarized references from persons who live in the state or county where you previously lived.
5.) 4 identical 2"x2" photos
Process Time: 6 to 9 months

Restrictions: Currently the vast majority of permits being issued are non restricted.

Purchasing: Still in the process

Personal Experience: Still in the process...so far it sucks compared to when I lived in NH and could get a $10 permit good for 4 years in 2 days.

Where to go: Monroee County Clerk's Office www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php

Nassau County

Cost: $200 application fee. $94.25 for fingerprints (this went down from $99 since May when I applied)

1.) 21 years old
3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years and who have also lived in the county for 3 years. Can't be current or retired LEO.
4.) Background check, mental health check & finger printing

Process Time: 6 months. So far I've been waiting just over 6, nothing yet.

Restrictions: I would assume that the vast majority are for Target\Hunting. There are new requirements for the business permit, they have been posted up on the website.

Purchasing: Need a non-specific weapon purchase document from the NCPD. It's good for the duration of the calendar year. You must appear at the PP section with the firearm purchased, the purchase document and a bill of sale within 10 days of purchase.

Personal Experience: Was expected to be treated like a future criminal, but the people were extremely nice and helpful and answered all of my questions.

Where to go: Nassau County Police Headquarters, 1490 Franklin Ave, Mineola, 11501 www.police.nassaucountyny.gov/pistol_application.htm

Niagara County

Cost: ~$200

1.) 21 years old
2.) 4 references who have known you for 5 (may be 3) years.
3.) Background check & finger printing

Process Time: I was told 2 - 3 months, but I got mine in 6 months. It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them. I also had a reference not return the survey, so that delayed me by 3 months. Once the surveys were taken care of it took about 2.5 months.

Restrictions: None. They told me that Niagara County (generally) will issue a permit. They also only issue unrestricted permits.

Purchasing: Take your purchase coupon (that comes with your permit) to the gun center. They take it, and give you gun info and the firearm. You then have 10 business days to register your gun with the permit office. Thats it.

Personal Experience: Patty is the clerk at the office. She is really friendly and really knows her stuff.

Where to go: Niagara County Court House in Lockport.

Oneida County

Cost: ???

1.) 21 years old
2.) 1 years residence in the county.
3.) Show proof that you have had previous formal handgun training within the last three years. ( A certificate or letter from a N.R.A. Basic Pistol shooting course OR Active military ID or recent discharge papers OR Active police officer status or recently retired Correction officer with current qualification card.

Process Time: ???

Restrictions: From the Website: To Receive a "full carry" license or "unrestricted" license  It is solely the licensing officers decision as to whether the applicant has demonstrated proper cause for the issuance of a carry license.  As per PL400.(2)(F).  Although additional training may be personally helpful it is not required to receive a carry license.

Purchasing: ???

Where to go: Oneida County Office Building, 800 Park Ave., Utica, NY 13501.  Office hours:  8:30 AM to 11:30 AM & 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM Monday - Friday. Phone: (315)  798-5821 www.ocgov.net/oneidacty/gov/dept/pistolpermits/PPpages/applinfo.htm

Onondaga County

Costs:
Application: $10
Application processing fee: $46.00
Fingerprinting fee: $94.25
Total application fee: $150.25
Amendment fees: flat $3.00/transaction

1.) 21 years old
2.) Resident of NYS/Onondaga County
3.) 4 references who live in Onondaga County
4.) Must attend a handgun safety course

Process Time: Can take up to 6 months and varies between license types. Onondaga is mostly electronic now, so on average it takes only a few weeks for approval. The exception is for an unrestricted license; it generally takes longer because it is under greater scrutiny.

Restrictions: Onondaga can issue a premise, a carry with regards to employment, and an unrestricted license. Like other counties Onondaga has its own license called a "Sportsman's." Essentially it is a full carry license that allows CCW while engaged in activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, target practice, and shooting sports. An unrestricted license is very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system. Buy your pistol at the dealer, fill out the 4473. Take the bill of sale to the Sheriff's office to have your license amended. Flat $3.00 fee regardless of how many guns are being added/removed. You receive a ticket signed by your issuing judge from the Sheriff's office. Take the ticket to your dealer to complete the transaction. It can be done as fast as you drive.

Other notes: Onondaga has 4 licensing judges. You never know who you're going to get when applying. Getting an unrestricted license in Onondaga is very difficult to do. If you apply for an unrestricted and are denied, you will default to a Sportsman's license if you are otherwise not prohibited from having a license.

Where to go: Onondaga County Sheriff's office website www.ongov.net/Sheriff/pistol.html

Putnam County

Cost: @$120

1.) 21 years old
2.) Must be Putnam resident for 6 months.
2.) 4 NY references who have known you for 3 years.
3.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: It can take up to 4 months, but mine was done in about 10 weeks.

Restrictions: Initial licenses are "hunting & target shooting only." If you specifically ask for a license with no restrictions, i.e. 'full carry', you will have to go before one of the county judges and ask for it. Have no fear, the judge is a reasonable man.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 5 or so days and go pick up your coupon, or have it mailed to you. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Personal Experience: Both the County Clerk's office and the Sheriff's department are friendly and helpful. There is no stigma attached to getting a pistol license in Putnam.

Where to go: Putnam County Sheriff's office  www.putnamsheriff.com/modules/news/

Ulster County

Cost: ~$105

1.) 21 years old
2.) not sure about residency length
3.) 4 references

Process Time: i was told 6 months, took eight, with repeated trips to the pistol permit office asking the ladies for updates...they are really friendly atleast

Restrictions: none

Purchasing: Buy the pistol, bring a receipt to the office, and get the purchase card the same day

Personal Experience: The two women there are really friendly and patient. But, they werent exactly helpful after the 10th trip in to ask about it, i went in basically ever 2 wks from month 4 on. The judge apparently lost my application and a couple others, so it took 8 months, and a phone call from my uncle who was friends with the judge. Shame on me for not using that connection sooner

Where to go: Ulster County Sheriff's office

Wayne County

Cost: ~$130

1.) 21 years old
2.) residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who also live in the county.
5.) Need to have bought or have a pistol to put on your permit when applying.

Process Time: 2 weeks. The woman at the Sheriff's Dept. (Lynn) is a doll and very helpful. You need to pay up front and do your fingerprints when you go in, plan on 45 mins. AFTER your printed and pay you get the paperwork which you'll need to return to them. The Sheriff's Dept. is in the town of Lyons as is the County Clerk.
Both are very helpful over the phone as well.

Restrictions: None... I don't know of anyone in Wayne county with a restriction.

Purchasing: You buy the weapon and take the paperwork to the County clerk. They give you another permit and you fill it out adding a new picture ($10 if you don't have one) for $3. It's goes before the judge who signs it and then they mail it to you. When you get it, the coupon and new permit are together and you take that and pick up your new gun. A new permit form is issued with every pistol.

Personal Experience: Great all around. It was a pleasure dealing with each of the people at the CC and Sheriff's dept. They all seem to be on board with the 2nd amendment and good people in general. Only complaint I could even begin to have would be a 2 week wait for one of my amendments, but that's the worst thing I could say, and the initial permit came in 2 weeks.

Updated 05/15/08 - Updated Broome County's info, added Niagara, Oneida, and Wayne info

Updated 12/9/07 - Consolidated all info into the first post for easy readying, put counties in alphabetic order.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
County: Nassau

Cost: $200 application fee.  $94.25 for fingerprints (this went down from $99 since May when I applied)

1.) 21 years old
3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years and who have also lived in the county for 3 years.  Can't be current or retired LEO.
4.) Background check, mental health check & finger printing

Process Time: 6 months.  So far I've been waiting just over 6, nothing yet.

Restrictions: I would assume that the vast majority are for Target\Hunting.  There are new requirements for the business permit, they have been posted up on the website.

Purchasing: Need a non-specific weapon purchase document from the NCPD.  It's good for the duration of the calendar year.  You must appear at the PP section with the firearm purchased, the purchase document and a bill of sale within 10 days of purchase.

Personal Experience: Was expected to be treated like a future criminal, but the people were extremely nice and helpful and answered all of my questions.

Where to go: Nassau County Police Headquarters, 1490 Franklin Ave, Mineola, 11501

www.police.nassaucountyny.gov/pistol_application.htm

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
County: Putnam

Cost: @$120

1.) 21 years old
2.) Must be Putnam resident for 6 months.
2.) 4 NY references who have known you for 3 years.
3.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: It can take up to 4 months, but mine was done in about 10 weeks.

Restrictions: Initial licenses are "hunting & target shooting only." If you specifically ask for a license with no restrictions, i.e. 'full carry', you will have to go before one of the county judges and ask for it. Have no fear, the judge is a reasonable man.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 5 or so days and go pick up your coupon, or have it mailed to you. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Personal Experience: Both the County Clerk's office and the Sheriff's department are friendly and helpful. There is no stigma attached to getting a pistol license in Putnam.

Where to go: Putnam County Sheriff's office www.putnamsheriff.com/modules/news/
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
i smell a sticky
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
County: Duchess

Cost: ~$20 + $99

1.) 21 years old
2.) 1/2 year residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who have known you for 1/2 year and who have also lived in the county for > 1/2 year.

Process Time: 3-6 months, may vary..

Restrictions: Permit not good in NYC. Unrestricted permit

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 4-7 days for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol.

Personal Experience: Duchess Co Pistol Permit staff gets three thumbs up.

Where to go: http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyGov/Departments/Sheriff/SHPistPermApp.htm#meeting
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]
4 references who have known you for 1/2 year and who have also lived in the county for > 1/2 year. Plus must be 21 years of age not be a  judge, police, peace officers, or elected officails
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#6]
County: Onondaga

Costs:

1.) 21 years old

Process Time: Can take up to 6 months and varies between license types.  Onondaga is mostly electronic now, so on average it takes only a few weeks for approval. The exception is for an unrestricted license; it generally takes longer because it is under greater scrutiny.

Restrictions: Onondaga can issue a premise, a carry with regards to employment, and an unrestricted license.  Like other counties Onondaga has its own license called a "Sportsman's."  Essentially it is a full carry license that allows CCW while engaged in activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, target practice, and shooting sports.  An unrestricted license is very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system.  Buy your pistol at the dealer, fill out the 4473.  Take the bill of sale to the Sheriff's office to have your license amended.  Flat $3.00 fee regardless of how many guns are being added/removed.  You receive a ticket signed by your issuing judge from the Sheriff's office.  Take the ticket to your dealer to complete the transaction.  It can be done as fast as you drive.

Other notes: Onondaga has 4 licensing judges.  You never know who you're going to get when applying.  Getting an unrestricted license in Onondaga is very difficult to do.  If you apply for an unrestricted and are denied, you will default to a Sportsman's license if you are otherwise not prohibited from having a license.

Where to go: Onondaga County Sheriff's office website
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Sticky please.

County: Monroe

Cost:
Fingerprints: $30.00 cash if Rochester resident, $15.00 cash if elsewhere in Monroe County
Photographs: $0.38 if you use a digital camera and online photo printer like walmart.com

1.) 21 years old
3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years - If you have not lived in Monroe county for 3 years then you must provide 4 references from Monroe County that have known you as long as you have lived here. Also 3 additional notarized references from persons who live in the state or county where you previously lived.

Restrictions: Currently the vast majority of permits being issued are non restricted.

Purchasing:
Still in the process

Personal Experience: Still in the process...so far it sucks compared to when I lived in NH and could get a $10 permit good for 4 years in 2 days.

Where to go: Monroee County Clerk's Office
www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sticky please.

County: Monroe

Cost:

1.) 21 years old

Purchasing:
Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 1-2 weeks for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Where to go: Monroee County Clerk's Office
www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php

Raysheen,
The purchasing section is just a little bit off from my experiences in Monroe County.
Essentially, when you go to buy a pistol, you go through the regular rig-amarole whenever buying a firearm in NY State from a dealer: a NICS check, pay the price plus tax, plus the NY Pistol Dealer makes sure you have a NY pistol permit.

They then give you a piece of paper that has their NY State Pistol Dealers License number as well as their 01 FFL and the description of the pistol and to whom (you the buyer) it was sold to and that persons pistol permit number. You take that paper to the County Clerks Office on Main St in Downtown Rochester, and you pay $3 and they enter your info into their pistol permit database as well as add the pistol info, make, serial and caliber on the back of your permit while you wait. It takes about 5-10 minutes.

They then give you a green piece of paper that verifies that you have registered the pistol and you take that green slip back to the Pistol Dealer and take possession of your pistol.

The reality is that you can go into a store, put your money and your permit down on the counter to make a pistol purchase, get the appropriate paper work done all in the same day if you have the where-withall to drive back and forth from the dealer to the clerks office and back to the dealer in one fell swoop.
I've done this for all my pistol purchases in Monroe county (as recently as November '07) from 3 different NY State Pistol Dealers (only 1 pistol dealer was actually located in Monroe County).  Just figured I could help clear it up a bit

My personal experience is that it took well over 7 months, and the County Sherrif Deputy (singular) that is assigned to do the background checks actually called all 4 of my references.
In order to get a "Carry" permit, on your app you should list the reason for wanting to obtain the permit as "Personal Protection". Some thread on the old Packing.org site listed that in NY or Monroe County, you shouldn't write that, but I actually took the free Home Firearms Safety Class put on by the County Sheriffs Dept, the instructor for the free class was the actual Deputy that did the background checks for pistol permit apps, and he said that he strongly promotes lawful folks getting their Carry Pistol Permits, and he also recommends that you don't Bullshit on the reasons why you want a carry permit; thus put personal protection. They often call the actual person trying to obtain the permit to ask you some basic questions, and that is where they would ask you about anything that they found in their background investigation.

Oh, and County Judge John Connell signs off on carry permits as long as you have a clean record. He even sends out a handwritten note outlining that he approved your carry permit and that the official paperwork should be catching up to your mailbox pretty soon. His note was a refreshing end to a long (7 months or there abouts) ordeal to legally own a handgun.

This thread has good info and should def get the tack!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll update with some more links when I get a chance.

Pistol License Issuing Agencies by County

Broome County:  http://www.gobroomecounty.com/sheriff/SheriffID.php

Chautauqua County:  http://www.sheriff.us/courts/pistolpermit.htm

Chemung County: http://www.chemungsheriff.com/index.asp?PageId=289&catId=3&faqId=2

Clinton County:  http://www.clintoncountygov.com/Departments/CC/CCPisPer.htm

Columbia County:  http://www.columbiacountysheriff.us/pistolpermits.html

Dutchess County:  http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyGov/Departments/Sheriff/SHPistPermApp.htm

Erie County:  http://www.erie.gov/depts/government/clerk/applications_permits_pistol.phtml

Monroe County:  http://www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php

Nassau County:  http://www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/pistol_application.htm

New York City;  

Handgun:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/permits.shtml
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/HandGunLicenseApplicationFormsComplete.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/PD_643_041.pdf

Rifle/Shotgun:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/rifle_licensing_information.shtml
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/rifle_shotgun_permit_application_20080514.pdf

NYSP Pistol License FAQ: http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/FAQs/Firearms/

Oneida County: http://www.ocgov.net/oneidacty/gov/dept/pistolpermits/PPpages/applinfo.htm

Onondaga County:  http://www.ongov.net/Sheriff/pistol.html

Ontario County:  http://www.co.ontario.ny.us/coclerk/PistolPermits.html

Orange County: http://www.orangecountygov.com/orgMain.asp?storyID=208&sid=

Putnam County:  http://www.putnamsheriff.com/modules/news/

Rockland County:  http://www.rocklandcountyclerk.com/pistol_license.html

Suffolk County (Eastern Towns):  http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp1.cfm?dept=36&id=1980

Suffolk County (Western Towns):  http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/pistollicense.htm

Tomkins County:  http://web.tompkins-co.org/sheriff/admin/files/New%20Cover.pdf

Westchester County:  http://www.westchesterclerk.com/4213_4722.htm
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Raysheen,
The purchasing section is just a little bit off from my experiences in Monroe County.

sorry about that! did a cut and paste of the above to get the format the same...have edited it to what I originally meant to put in there
Thanks for the additional info!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
County: Ulster

Cost: ~$105

1.) 21 years old
2.) not sure about residency length
3.) 4 references

Process Time: i was told 6 months, took eight, with repeated trips to the pistol permit                   office asking the ladies for updates...they are really friendly atleast

Restrictions: none

Purchasing: Buy the pistol, bring a receipt to the office, and get the purchase card the same day

Personal Experience: The two women there are really friendly and patient. But, they werent exactly helpful after the 10th trip in to ask about it, i went in basically ever 2 wks from month 4 on.  The judge apparently lost my application and a couple others, so it took 8 months, and a phone call from my uncle who was friends with the judge.   Shame on me for not using that connection sooner

Where to go: Ulster County Sheriff's office
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#13]
County: Chenango
Pickup application at the Chenango County Clerks office.  5 Court St.  Norwich, NY

Cost: when I applied Current
Purchase application: $10.00
Fingerprints: $30.00 at Sheriff Office $10.00
Background Check: $74.00 NYS Department of Criminal Justice.  $105 Covers all background and fingerprinting
Photographs: $12.00 "Passport quality"
Amendment Fee: $3.00 This is to add or remove a pistol.  Up to 3 additions/subtractions per amendment if transfers are with the same person/business
Total: $130 Probably more now. ~$137

1.) 21 years old
2.) Proof of residency
3.) 4 references who have known you excluding family members and elected public officials
5.) 4 identical 2"x2" photos- they only use 3
Process Time: 3 to 9 months - I received mine in 6 weeks

Restrictions: Most permits are restricted.  Not impossible to get un-restricted.  Applicant typically will meet with Judge before he issues the permit.  Handgun safety course required within one year.  Restrictions like "pistol must be locked with a trigger lock or similar devise when not in use" will also be on permit, whether CCW or not.  

Purchasing:
Permit holder purchases pistol, goes to county clerks office and does an amendment, coupon is transferred to Judge for a signature, coupon is mailed to permit holder.  Permit holder can then pickup the pistol.  Friday must be the day he signs coupons.  I've done amendments on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.  I always receive the signed coupon the following Monday.   Co-registering is not a problem.  No-coupon needed

Personal Experience: I've never had a problem making an amendment.  Lots of people to help and I’ve never waited more than 5 mins and the amendment is usually done quickly.  A new permit card is issued at each amendment.  It's nice not to carry the same card with crossed out pistols, wrinkles and general wear from being in my wallet.  The judge who oversaw issuing when I got my permit was more liberal.  Everybody received an unrestricted permit unless you asked.  He also pre-signed the coupons so you didn't have to wait.  I miss those days.  

Where to go: Chenango County Clerk's Office.  No online information at this time

Edited to update current prices and requirements
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#14]
is there anyway that someone could tack this thread please?
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:

Onondaga County

Costs:

1.) 21 years old

Process Time: Can take up to 6 months and varies between license types. Onondaga is mostly electronic now, so on average it takes only a few weeks for approval. The exception is for an unrestricted license; it generally takes longer because it is under greater scrutiny.

Restrictions: Onondaga can issue a premise, a carry with regards to employment, and an unrestricted license. Like other counties Onondaga has its own license called a "Sportsman's." Essentially it is a full carry license that allows CCW while engaged in activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, target practice, and shooting sports. An unrestricted license is very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system. Buy your pistol at the dealer, fill out the 4473. Take the bill of sale to the Sheriff's office to have your license amended. Flat $3.00 fee regardless of how many guns are being added/removed. You receive a ticket signed by your issuing judge from the Sheriff's office. Take the ticket to your dealer to complete the transaction. It can be done as fast as you drive.

Other notes: Onondaga has 4 licensing judges. You never know who you're going to get when applying. Getting an unrestricted license in Onondaga is very difficult to do. If you apply for an unrestricted and are denied, you will default to a Sportsman's license if you are otherwise not prohibited from having a license.

Where to go: Onondaga County Sheriff's office website www.ongov.net/Sheriff/pistol.html

Thanks for this great posting.
I want to get my carry license, have a clean background but live in Onondaga County.  I have been told I would have much better success to just apply for a sportsman license instead.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
JEFFERSON COUNTY:
In addition to the standard, 21 y/o, no felony,... this is how it goes:
Total package $141.50
8~10 months for the process
Must have three charactor refrences that have known you for at least five years, they need not be NY residents. This measure was implimented primarly for Military members who are new to the area.
The total cost could be reduced by supplying your own pictures, provided they're of good quality and drivers licenses/ID size ~$20.
The application packet cost $10. up front, and that is part of the $141.50 total.
Location: Jefferson County Public Saftey Building in Watertown.

BTW: The Judge is a lifelong Democrat and while I cannot attest to restrictions, I wouldn't imagine he's willing to approve much more than "Hunting & Target only" .  
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
just wondered how the renewal process varies from county to county.

(yup, I can be a real p i t a.)
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think in most NYS counties, the permit is issued for life, so long as the permitted individual doesn't do anything to jeopardize his/her ability to purchase or own a gun.  That's the way it is in Onondaga.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think in most NYS counties, the permit is issued for life, so long as the permitted individual doesn't do anything to jeopardize his/her ability to purchase or own a gun.  That's the way it is in Onondaga.

Same in Chenango unless your permit is damaged or lost or they may require new pictures if many years have gone by and you no longer look as young as you one did.  Renewals are not a PITA, you keep your old permit (unless lost) and the county processes a new one.  You don't have to go through the original process again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
for Nassau County:
License Renewal
Licenses are valid for five (5) years and will expire on the last day of
the licensee's month of birth. Licensees should receive renewal forms in the
mail thirty (30) to sixty (60) days prior to the expiration date, provided that
the license is not suspended, or the licensee has not changed his or her
address without notifying the Pistol License Section. Current federal law
requires a complete criminal history check upon each renewal. Failure to
report any arrest will result in suspension and/or revocation.
Note: The Police Department mails out renewals at least thirty (30) days
prior to the license expiration. This in no way relieves the licensee of the
responsibility to know the expiration date and apply for renewal if the forms
are not received in the mail. Questions should be directed to the Pistol
License Section at 516-573-7559. Failure to renew a license will result in its
cancellation.
What is not in the pistol handbook is that they screw you out of another $200. every five years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
JEFFERSON COUNTY:

BTW: The Judge is a lifelong Democrat and while I cannot attest to restrictions, I wouldn't imagine he's willing to approve much more than "Hunting & Target only" .  

My dad and mom have no restrictions on their Jefferson County issue permits,so it is possible,though it might just be because they're older and squeaky clean. I think they've had them for about 6-7 years though. Not sure which judge they had,though I can probably find out when I see the permits. I do recall that they were asked to interview with a Jefferson County sheriff of some sort as part of the process in addition to the character references.
You never know what kind of shake and bake rules the local judges will add to the process in NY

Link Posted: 12/23/2007 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There are only four jurisdictions in NYS that are authorized under NYS law to issue renewable pistol licenses.

Nassau: $200 to renew for 5 years

NYC: $340 to renew for 3 years

Suffolk: $10 to renew for 5 years

Westchester: $10 to renew for 5 years. Everything is done painlessly through the mail.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Where's the information for Suffolk County? Why wasn't it included in that first post?
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Nothing in here about Albany County???
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Suffolk County (Eastern Towns): http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp1.cfm?dept=36&id=1980

Suffolk County (Western Towns): http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/pistollicense.htm

(thanks to RKBAR15)
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Activate Page 2

What about the eligibility requirements for Suffolk? They're not listed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 5:56:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Activate Page 2

What about the eligibility requirements for Suffolk? They're not listed.

You need to review the various forms listed here: http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/Police/onlineforms.htm

Keep in mind that the SCPD PC is the licensing officer in the 5 western Suffolk towns. Many of the rules/regulations/requirements are only applicable to license applications issued by the SCPD licensing division.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Dutchess County has raised the fee ,still $20.00 for application, then $105.25 instead of the $99.00...for prints, photos, etc..
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
$105.25 instead of the $99.00...for prints

Update: Monroe has done the same
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Effective 10-1-2007 DCJS raised the fingerprint processing fee to $105.25.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I haven't been able to find any residency requirements for suffolk county on their websites. It isn't 3 years like nassau is it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Effective 10-1-2007 DCJS raised the fingerprint processing fee to $105.25.

I think this is in reaction to the Feebs raising their fees as well....I had to get printed for a thing, (Feebs and state) and the Feeb rate is higher than when I was printed 2 yrs ago.

'Drew
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#33]
when I got mine in Chautauqua it was as close to shall issue as you're likely to get
as far as I know it still is

Erie supposedly restricts like mad, I know one difference is that my original one didn't have a field on it for restrictions. when I had to transfer it to erie the new peice of paper actually had a field for restrictions, like they plan on restricting them. luckly mine says NONE

www.erie.gov/depts/government/clerk/applications_permits_pistol.phtml
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Oneida County

Oneida County
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Who makes the rules regarding how many references are acceptable? County or Judge? Could you get an okay from a judge that would allow you to use references that were all from a different county than the one your applying for the permit in?
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#37]
The NYSP approved pistol license application requires listing four references who can attest to your "good moral character". The county licensing agency makes up their own BS rules about who can or can't be listed as a reference.  

This is the instructions from the Erie County application. EC goes one step further and requires additional info like DOB, maiden name, SSN and WK/HM tel numbers. None of this info is required by the NYSP.

"Your four character references should preferably live in your city, town or village. They must sign their name on both applications and fill out all information requested on the character reference sheet. Character references CANNOT be relatives. If your local police will accept references outside of your area, which you must confirm with them, they still must live in Erie Countv."
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#38]
does anyone have any info on tompkins county?
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Tomkins County: http://web.tompkins-co.org/sheriff/admin/files/New%20Cover.pdf

Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#40]
wheres the albany county info?!
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone have any first hand experience dealing with the folks in Westchester County?  Has anyone been through a move to NYS with preexisting firearms?  Apparently, I won't be moving with the handguns untill the permit comes through.  Any thoghts?
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Monroe County, SLOW,   47 weeks for my pistol permit,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Wayne County

Cost: ~$130  Cash

1.) 21 years old
2.) residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who also live in the county.
5.) Need to have bought or have a pistol to put on your permit when applying.

Process Time: 2 weeks. The woman at the Sheriff's Dept. (Lynn) is a doll and very helpful.  You need to pay up front and do your fingerprints when you go in, plan on 45 mins. AFTER your printed and pay you get the paperwork which you'll need to return to them. The Sheriff's Dept. is in the town of Lyons as is the County Clerk.
Both are very helpful over the phone as well.

Restrictions: No... I don't know of anyone in Wayne county with a restriction.

Purchasing: You buy the weapon and take the paperwork to the County clerk. They give you another permit and you fill it out adding a new picture ($10 if you don't have one) for $3. It's goes before the judge who signs it and then they mail it to you. When you get it, the coupon and new permit are together and you take that and pick up your new gun. A new permit form is issued with every pistol.

Personal Experience: Great all around. It was a pleasure dealing with each of the people at the CC and Sheriff's dept. They all seem to be on board with the 2nd amendment and good people in general.  Only complaint I could even begin to have would be a 2 week wait for one of my amendments, but that's the worst thing I could say, and the initial permit came in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The NYSP approved pistol license application requires listing four references who can attest to your "good moral character". The county licensing agency makes up their own BS rules about who can or can't be listed as a reference.  

This is the instructions from the Erie County application. EC goes one step further and requires additional info like DOB, maiden name, SSN and WK/HM tel numbers. None of this info is required by the NYSP.

"Your four character references should preferably live in your city, town or village. They must sign their name on both applications and fill out all information requested on the character reference sheet. Character references CANNOT be relatives. If your local police will accept references outside of your area, which you must confirm with them, they still must live in Erie Countv."

This depends a lot on the township/city in EC you live in.  For example, if you live in buffalo when you apply the references can live anywhere in the county, but if you live in Tonawanda the Tonawanda Police require the references to also live in the Town of Tonawanda or Kenmore.  Those are the only two towns/cities in Erie County that I can speak for.

Also, it is very difficult to get an unrestricted permit.  Mine says "Target/Hunting" under the picture.  

The wait times also depend on the township you live in at time of application.  I originally applied from Buffalo and it took 13 months for me to get the permit.  My wife is applying from Tonawanda where we live now and apparently they do a quicker job with the investigations.  It is only supposed to take about 6 months for hers (once she gets moving and submits the paper work that is).
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Monroe County Update: as of Jan 1, 2008 the fee for county residents to get their prints taken has gone up from $15 to $25.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
does anyone have any info on tompkins county?

Yeah, basically good luck on getting anything other than a restricted permit. Expect a week-long waiting period imposed by the local judges for every addition you want to make to your permit. They justify the wait with a claim they've been finding permit holders with disqualifying convictions. I don't see how thats possible.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Niagara County

Cost: ~$200

1.) 21 years old
2.) 4 references who have known you for 5 (may be three) years.
3.) Background check & finger printing

Process Time: I was told 2 - 3 months, but I got mine in 6 months. It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them.  I also had a reference not return the survey, so that delayed me by 3 months.  Once the surveys were taken care of it took about 2.5 months.

Restrictions: None.  They told me that Niagara County (generally) will issue a permit.  They also only issue unrestricted permits.

Purchasing:Take your purchase coupon (that comes with your permit) to the gun center.  They take it, and give you gun info and the firearm.  You then have 10 business days to register your gun with the permit office.  Thats it.

Personal Experience: Patty is the clerk at the office.  She is really friendly and really knows her stuff.

Where to go: Niagara County Court House in Lockport.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the info! I submitted mine to the MCSO on 02/25/08 and hope to hear good news in the next few months.

What is the waiting period for buying a handgun in NYS? Reading your post I am catching that you can do everything in one day if you have a permit, however i have the notion you have to wait a few days for it...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info! I submitted mine to the MCSO on 02/25/08 and hope to hear good news in the next few months.

What is the waiting period for buying a handgun in NYS? Reading your post I am catching that you can do everything in one day if you have a permit, however i have the notion you have to wait a few days for it...

Thanks!
no waiting period in NYS...you can get it done in one day depending on your county.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top