Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
no waiting period in NYS...you can get it done in one day depending on your county.

If you have a purchase coupon from your licensing agency there is no "waiting" period. After you take possession of the gun you have 10 days to have it registered on your license. The kicker is not all licensing agencies will issue you a purchase coupon prior to registering the gun on your license even though that is the way the process is supposed to work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:There was a guy who had one pending in Jefferson County for a couple of years

I had to wait almost 2 years in Jefferson county back in 89. That was mainly because I had a rather complex history of names prior to the age of 18. That coupled with a "big" murder trail(for the judge, not me) and deployments kepy it going for far to long. My bud filed the same day and had his back within a few months. We both later amended them to un-restricted. When he move to Guilderland and transfered his buy then 12-15 year old unrestricted Jefferson County it was restricted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread states that the references for Onondaga County must be OC residents but it doesnt appear to say that on the OC website for pistol permits. Does anyone know for sure if the references must be from OC and how long they must of known you for?

Onondaga County

Costs:
Application: $10
Application processing fee: $46.00
Fingerprinting fee: $94.25
Total application fee: $150.25
Amendment fees: flat $3.00/transaction

Eligibility Requirements:
1.) 21 years old
2.) Resident of NYS/Onondaga County
3.) 4 references who live in Onondaga County
4.) Must attend a handgun safety course

Process Time: Can take up to 6 months and varies between license types. Onondaga is mostly electronic now, so on average it takes only a few weeks for approval. The exception is for an unrestricted license; it generally takes longer because it is under greater scrutiny.

Restrictions: Onondaga can issue a premise, a carry with regards to employment, and an unrestricted license. Like other counties Onondaga has its own license called a "Sportsman's." Essentially it is a full carry license that allows CCW while engaged in activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, target practice, and shooting sports. An unrestricted license is very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system. Buy your pistol at the dealer, fill out the 4473. Take the bill of sale to the Sheriff's office to have your license amended. Flat $3.00 fee regardless of how many guns are being added/removed. You receive a ticket signed by your issuing judge from the Sheriff's office. Take the ticket to your dealer to complete the transaction. It can be done as fast as you drive.

Other notes: Onondaga has 4 licensing judges. You never know who you're going to get when applying. Getting an unrestricted license in Onondaga is very difficult to do. If you apply for an unrestricted and are denied, you will default to a Sportsman's license if you are otherwise not prohibited from having a license.

Where to go: Onondaga County Sheriff's office website www.ongov.net/Sheriff/pistol.html

From the OC website:

You must meet the following qualifications:

Must be a New York State/Onondaga County resident.
Must be at least 21 years old.
Must have four character references.
Must attend a Handgun Safety Course with one of our certified instructors and furnish this office with proof of completion of the course. Fees and locations differ, but it is the applicant's responsibility to make arrangements for the course.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
County: Ulster

Cost: $5 application fee, $10 Photograph fee, $102.50 for fingerprints (the $102.50 must be a Money Order)

1.) 21 years old
2.) No residency length restrictions
3.) 4 references; county does not matter, nor does family, household limits.  Cannot be the Sheriff or a Supreme Court judge.
4.) Background check, mental health check & finger printing

Optional: Although not required, taking a pistol safety course is highly recommended and helps move along the application process.

Process Time: 6 months.  There was a bad backup the last few years but everything appears to be moving along better now.

Restrictions: Almost all permits are now issued full CCW, the judge will only restrict now apparently for a compelling reason.

Purchasing: You will be issued a document to be able to purchase a handgun from a dealer (or you can get paperwork for a transfer if private party).  Once the purchase/transfer is complete the serial will be added to your permit card.

Personal Experience: The 2 ladies are courteous and helpful about questions and filling out the proper paperwork.  There does however seem to be a great deal of hoops to go through and you need to be on top of your application status or you will easily get delayed (my wife's permit took over 1 year).  Make copies of anything you turn in to be sure.

Where to go: Ulster County Sheriff's office; 380 Boulevard Kingston, NY 12401
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't keep this bad boy bumped it will fall off the end of ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
June Bump
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Wasn't this tacked at some point?

Why isn't it tacked now?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
no waiting period in NYS...you can get it done in one day depending on your county.

If you have a purchase coupon from your licensing agency there is no "waiting" period. After you take possession of the gun you have 10 days to have it registered on your license. The kicker is not all licensing agencies will issue you a purchase coupon prior to registering the gun on your license even though that is the way the process is supposed to work.

spoke with the deputy in charge of my applicaton the other day and he was walking it over the the judge's office.

on another note, i am in a wierd situation. being a student, the address on my driver's license is still my rockland county address. however, after much inquiring at the MCSO i was informed that i would be able to apply for a permit in monroe county using the off campus address i have been living at for the past 2 years.

last week i was home in rockland, visited The Firing Line in Pearl River; one of the pretentious gentleman there began to inform me that due to the fact my permit will reflect my monroe county address, and the fact my license will depict my rockland county address, there would be no way any dealer would sell me a handgun; unless the addresses matched.

i inquired with the deputy in charge of my application and he informed me this would be good to go, people move all the time and dealers are receptive to this fact. however, it has been my experience, specifically at Gander Mountain in henrietta that they are a bunch of assholes there. Dont want to run into any problems and have a rejected NCIS/FFL application.

Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
spoke with the deputy in charge of my applicaton the other day and he was walking it over the the judge's office.

on another note, i am in a wierd situation. being a student, the address on my driver's license is still my rockland county address. however, after much inquiring at the MCSO i was informed that i would be able to apply for a permit in monroe county using the off campus address i have been living at for the past 2 years.

last week i was home in rockland, visited The Firing Line in Pearl River; one of the pretentious gentleman there began to inform me that due to the fact my permit will reflect my monroe county address, and the fact my license will depict my rockland county address, there would be no way any dealer would sell me a handgun; unless the addresses matched.

i inquired with the deputy in charge of my application and he informed me this would be good to go, people move all the time and dealers are receptive to this fact. however, it has been my experience, specifically at Gander Mountain in henrietta that they are a bunch of assholes there. Dont want to run into any problems and have a rejected NCIS/FFL application.

I wouldn't worry about it... Take everything you hear at a firing range with a grain of salt.. If you're really paranoid you could go to the DMV and for $10 change the address on your DL to your monroe county address, get your updated license, get your pistols, then after college just get the address changed back.

I'd bet that as long as your name and picture match they won't care if your DL has an old address, I'm pretty sure mine did when I bought my first pistol.

specifically at Gander Mountain in henrietta that they are a bunch of assholes there.

Please don't give them your business then, the one in Binghamton is pretty crappy also... go check out some local gun shops, you can get what you want cheaper and with better service!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What address are you going to use on the 4473? Your DL must match that address. Do yourself a favor and change your address on your DL to your Monroe county address.

You can do everything by mail.

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What address are you going to use on the 4473? Your DL must match that address. Do yourself a favor and change your address on your DL to your Monroe county address.

You can do everything by mail.

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm

not to sure what that form is....the white one you fill out when purchasing?

anyone in the rochester area suggest a local gun shop to go to? i would DEF not want to give my business to gander unless absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The 4473 is the Federal firearm transfer form you need to fill out when buying a gun form a FFL. The address you use on that form should match the address listed on the government issued picture ID you are required to show the FFL. Your pistol license must indicate your current address. I don't really know if it makes a difference but you might be asking for unneeded drama if the two addressees are different.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 4473 is the Federal firearm transfer form you need to fill out when buying a gun form a FFL. The address you use on that form should match the address listed on the government issued picture ID you are required to show the FFL. Your pistol license must indicate your current address. I don't really know if it makes a difference but you might be asking for unneeded drama if the two addressees are different.

What he said

My permit is so old I Have no current info to add other than Livingston is a piece of cake to ammend. Walk in with your reciept, fill out the ammendment form and they hand you the pick-up coupon. The clerks are always pleasant and I think she forgot to charge me the fee the last time I ammended mine. They are also looking into converting from the paper permits to DL style. She said it was just a matter of finding the money for the hardware.

eta: my original issue was in Monroe in about 4 weeks. I moved to Victor and transferred it. when I moved back to Monroe I didn't transfer it back because it's less agrivating to drive to Canadagua then go downtown and deal with parking and all the other nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
anyone in the rochester area suggest a local gun shop to go to? i would DEF not want to give my business to gander unless absolutely necessary.
Victor Pro Gun, or order online and have it shipped to one of the FFLs in the area.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
got some better news the other day at work -  RPD has a policy that even though their officers can get guns onto their badge, they MUST apply for a pistol permit with the MCSO and have all their personal handguns registered on that. That being the case, they all come from different areas. They use the HQ building as their local Monroe County address and their license from wherever they are from, no problems.

I called up Gander a couple of minutes ago and spoke to someone (minus the attitude....i was surprised) and explained the situation. At first he said that NO they prob should match, however when I presented him with the above...he said it would be fine.

thanks for the heads up on victor, I will be making a trip out there soon.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
This thread states that the references for Onondaga County must be OC residents but it doesnt appear to say that on the OC website for pistol permits. Does anyone know for sure if the references must be from OC and how long they must of known you for?

Onondaga County

Costs:
Application: $10
Application processing fee: $46.00
Fingerprinting fee: $94.25
Total application fee: $150.25
Amendment fees: flat $3.00/transaction

1.) 21 years old
2.) Resident of NYS/Onondaga County
3.) 4 references who live in Onondaga County
4.) Must attend a handgun safety course

Process Time: Can take up to 6 months and varies between license types. Onondaga is mostly electronic now, so on average it takes only a few weeks for approval. The exception is for an unrestricted license; it generally takes longer because it is under greater scrutiny.

Restrictions: Onondaga can issue a premise, a carry with regards to employment, and an unrestricted license. Like other counties Onondaga has its own license called a "Sportsman's." Essentially it is a full carry license that allows CCW while engaged in activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, target practice, and shooting sports. An unrestricted license is very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system. Buy your pistol at the dealer, fill out the 4473. Take the bill of sale to the Sheriff's office to have your license amended. Flat $3.00 fee regardless of how many guns are being added/removed. You receive a ticket signed by your issuing judge from the Sheriff's office. Take the ticket to your dealer to complete the transaction. It can be done as fast as you drive.

Other notes: Onondaga has 4 licensing judges. You never know who you're going to get when applying. Getting an unrestricted license in Onondaga is very difficult to do. If you apply for an unrestricted and are denied, you will default to a Sportsman's license if you are otherwise not prohibited from having a license.

Where to go: Onondaga County Sheriff's office website www.ongov.net/Sheriff/pistol.html

From the OC website:

You must meet the following qualifications:

Must be a New York State/Onondaga County resident.
Must be at least 21 years old.
Must have four character references.
Must attend a Handgun Safety Course with one of our certified instructors and furnish this office with proof of completion of the course. Fees and locations differ, but it is the applicant's responsibility to make arrangements for the course.

Was wondering the same thing, any one have any information on this?
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
Niagara County

Cost: ~$200

1.) 21 years old
2.) 4 references who have known you for 5 (may be three) years.
3.) Background check & finger printing

Process Time: I was told 2 - 3 months, but I got mine in 6 months. It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them.  I also had a reference not return the survey, so that delayed me by 3 months.  Once the surveys were taken care of it took about 2.5 months.

Restrictions: None.  They told me that Niagara County (generally) will issue a permit.  They also only issue unrestricted permits.

Purchasing:Take your purchase coupon (that comes with your permit) to the gun center.  They take it, and give you gun info and the firearm.  You then have 10 business days to register your gun with the permit office.  Thats it.

Personal Experience: Patty is the clerk at the office.  She is really friendly and really knows her stuff.

Where to go: Niagara County Court House in Lockport.

Is there a residency req. since it doesnt state one or is it generally 3-5?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#18]
County: Erie

Costs:
I've had my permit for several years so I don't remember the exact breakdown, but there were fees associated with each of the following:
Application, Processing, Fingerprinting, Mandatory NRA certified safety course
That totaled around $250 at the time

1.) 21 years old
2.) Resident of NYS/Erie County
3.) 4 references who live in your town/city/village (you may use references outside of your town, but still within Erie county, with approval from your local police).  References must also be 21, and cannot be relatives.
4.) Must attend an NRA handgun safety course

Process Time: Pistol Permit department claims 6-8 months.  Mine took 12 months from application submission, to permit approval notification.

Restrictions: Erie County issues both restricted and unrestricted permits.  According to the instructor of the NRA safety course I took, applicants are advised to apply for a "TARGET & HUNTING" restricted permit when applying, as they are much more likely to be approved.  I was advised to apply for an unrestricted permit after maintaining a good standing with my restricted permit for a few years.  I've also been told that the "TARGET & HUNTING" restriction really doesn't mean much, as you could be on your way to the range/camping/hunting/etc... at any time.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system.  Buy your pistol at the dealer.  Take the receipt (including buyer's name, address, permit number, and the make, model, caliber action and serial number of the gun) to the Pistol Permit Dept. to have your license amended.  There is a fee of $3.00 per handgun to have them added/removed to your permit, and they will add/remove a handgun while you wait.  You will then receive a purchase ticket that you take back to your dealer to pickup your pistol.

The exception to this system, is your first pistol purchase.  When you are approved for your permit, you actually receive a letter of approval... not an actual permit.  You must purchase your first pistol with this letter, and take the receipt to the Pistol Permit Department as usual, but they will then take the receipt and letter, and you must wait for them to process it, and MAIL you your permit with the pistol added to it.  In my case, this took an extra month, making my total time from application to pistol in hand, an appalling 13 months.

Other notes: If you have ever been CHARGED (not convicted) with anything more than a minor traffic violation, you must also submit a certificate of disposition from the court, even if charge was dismissed.  I was once wrongfully arrested for allegedly driving on a suspended license.  The charge was dropped, but I had to include a certificate from that court with the outcome/details.

You must complete an interview with a local officer.  All of your references will also be interviewed by a local officer.  Your references will also have their records pulled, and your application can be denied if any of your references have an arrest on their record.

All forms and application submitted to the Pistol Permit Department must be signed in front of a witness and notarized.

When you receive your approval letter, you have 30 days to purchase a pistol, and take the receipt and notice of approval to the Pistol Permit Department to process, or your approval becomes void, and you must reapply.

Where to go: Erie County Pistol Permit Department
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
County:Yates

Costs:
When I got my permit, there was no application fee. There is now a $10 fee I am told
At the time, $99 DCJS Background fee's. Now told it is $105.25
No charge for Sheriff's department to fingerprint you. Just go down there and ask them to do it.
I was allowed to take my own picture's with a cheap digital camera

1.) 21 years old
2.) Resident of Yates County
3.) 4 references who live in the same county. They must be 21, have known you for at least 3 years and cannot be relatives, current or former co-workers, employee's and/or employer. All references must be notarized within 1 month.
4.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: They say up to 6-8 months. Mine took less than 6 weeks.

Restrictions: Mine says no restrictions. Have never met anyone locally who had any restrictions....

Purchasing: Pay for your pistol. Dealer gives you a blue(?) paper. Take that back to the clerk's office, $3 adds it to your permit, They give you a green(?) paper. Return with green paper to Dealer, Take possession of your pistol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't pay any attention to those morons at The Firing Line.  Ziggy and his merry men are stupid at best.  That place would be a goldmine if ran properly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its a week waiting period in Tompkins. Go in, do the paperwork to add the pistol to your license, and the judge takes a week to 'review' your paperwork...every time. You don't get the coupon til the week is up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#22]
August Bump
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
September bump
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay a bit premature October bump
PS in Dutchess County right now, it is about a 3-4 week time frame on the turn around getting a Judge to sign all new pistol additions to your permit...They have just recently changed from the small coupon system, to a full page form with a photo of your CCW permit to take back to the retailer, or FFL who is handling your transfer....they will  send this form back to you, along with your new CCW card with all of your pistols listed on the back after it has been signed by the judge...It was only a 5 day wait only 6 months ago....The lady I spoke to told me they have been swamped with new permit applications, and new additions I have also heard some people have been called in for interviews if the are adding several pistols in a short period of time

So if you live in Dutchess, be prepared for a wait...I heard Ulster is slower than it udes to be too, for different reasons though...they have only one guy working on it, I heard...
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
ulster is 5-10 minutes for amendments. :)

Quoted:
Okay a bit premature October bump
PS in Dutchess County right now, it is about a 3-4 week time frame on the turn around getting a Judge to sign all new pistol additions to your permit...They have just recently changed from the small coupon system, to a full page form with a photo of your CCW permit to take back to the retailer, or FFL who is handling your transfer....they will  send this form back to you, along with your new CCW card with all of your pistols listed on the back after it has been signed by the judge...It was only a 5 day wait only 6 months ago....The lady I spoke to told me they have been swamped with new permit applications, and new additions I have also heard some people have been called in for interviews if the are adding several pistols in a short period of time

So if you live in Dutchess, be prepared for a wait...I heard Ulster is slower than it udes to be too, for different reasons though...they have only one guy working on it, I heard...
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#26]
In Onondaga County the references do have to live in the county. It may be anyone excluding family. In the past law enforcement officers couldn't be used. I believe you have to know the references 2 years. I cold be wrong about that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#27]
PS Dutchess County told me to be prepared for 4 weeks for my new amendment to come back on my permit last week...It came back in 5 days
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 6:52:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
JEFFERSON COUNTY:
In addition to the standard, 21 y/o, no felony,... this is how it goes:
Total package $141.50
8~10 months for the process
Must have three charactor refrences that have known you for at least five years, they need not be NY residents. This measure was implimented primarly for Military members who are new to the area.
The total cost could be reduced by supplying your own pictures, provided they're of good quality and drivers licenses/ID size ~$20.
The application packet cost $10. up front, and that is part of the $141.50 total.
Location: Jefferson County Public Saftey Building in Watertown.

BTW: The Judge is a lifelong Democrat and while I cannot attest to restrictions, I wouldn't imagine he's willing to approve much more than "Hunting & Target only" .  

I can state firsthand that everyone I know that has a permit signed by this judge (including myself) has ZERO restrictions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]
ANyone have experiance with westchester? I just sent in for my application.... wondering what im in for....
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
In Onondaga County the references do have to live in the county. It may be anyone excluding family. In the past law enforcement officers couldn't be used. I believe you have to know the references 2 years. I cold be wrong about that.

IIRC there is no time limit for references.  You can know a guy for 2 months and use him as a reference.  

The rest is correct.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#31]
No one here is in westchester?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes I am in Westchester.  The wait time I was quoted was 4 to 6 months.  My appointment for fingerprinting is in November and I applied at the end of last month.  I am new to the county and state and only have two Westchester County residents that know me very well who I have used as references, and I am also using two from WA - having been here only two months I can't see what else I can do.  I am certainly not going to ask my new neigbours - as far as I am concerned the less people know  I have guns the better.  I'll see how the two out of state references I am using go down with my application and report back.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Can you tell me a little more about the process? I just sent in to get my application. What else is required of you?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Can you tell me a little more about the process? I just sent in to get my application. What else is required of you?

How far along in the process are you?  Have you completed the application and your references completed the questionnaire?
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:31:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC there is no time limit for references.  You can know a guy for 2 months and use him as a reference.  

The rest is correct.

In my county the reference has to have known you for several years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

How far along in the process are you?  Have you completed the application and your references completed the questionnaire?

I havent even recieved the app yet.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#37]
December Bump
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Tompkins County:
Pickup application at the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office, 779 Warren Rd.

Cost: ~$120 ($118 and change, includes photos)

21 yoa
County resident
Four county resident references, unrelated to you or each other

Process Time: 3 to 5 months is what they tell people (2.5 for me) - plus a two-week backup in the appointment to file your application and be photo'd/printed.

Restrictions: Non-restricted permits are like hen's teeth in this county. Expect a target/hunting restriction.

Purchasing: Purchase pistol (or put down a hefty deposit; that's a store thing), take receipt to Sheriff's office, sign form saying you are still not a bad person, go home and wait. Generally takes 1-2 weeks, they call when the amendment is ready. Pay your $3, pick up the amendment, go get your pistol.

Personal Experience: Ladies in the office are helpful and knowledgeable about the process. One is admittedly anti-gun ("I don't like guns, but this is my job." I offered to take her shooting. :) ) but friendly nonetheless. Appointment required to drop off permit application, usually about a 2-week lag time and limited hours. Never an issue with amendments.

Where to go: Tompkins County Sheriff's Office, 779 Warren Rd, 607-257-1345
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Update to Dutchess County-

They no longer give you a free pre-signed coupon when you pickup your permit.  You have to pay the $5 and wait 2-3 weeks (most likely shorter) for your coupon to be processed.  Personally I think it's stupid, but it is what it is.

Link Posted: 12/8/2008 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump to keep this current. Shouldn't this be a stickey?
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tompkins County:
Pickup application at the Chenango County Clerks office. 5 Court St. Norwich, NY

You need to fix your info; you have two counties information co-mingled.
The ladies in the civil division are not anti's; just because someone isnt a gun hobbyist doesn't mean they are automatically anti's. It just isn't their 'thing".
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Fixed the address, good catch, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#43]
MADISON COUNTY

here is the url to the county site

http://www.madisoncountysheriff.us/pistol_permits

also....this is a suggestion that the clerk gave me that helped me out a lot:
make sure you pester your personal references to be sure that they send in your recommendation
this is the weak link in the very long process
often people just presume that their choices will write the letter and send it right in

i had to bug my people to be sure they completed the letters and sent them in

(actually, one had skeletons in his closet that didnt allow him to write for me...i didnt find
that out until he read the letter that was sent to him and he decided not to write the
recommendation/reference....i then had to go and remove him from the application and submit
another name, which slowed the process down even more)

not staying on top of your letter writers is very often what delays and possibly stops your
chance of getting your license to carry....one of mine was very slow and i had to really
bug him for quite a while before he finally sent it in

Link Posted: 12/11/2008 3:03:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Orange County

Go Here to the Orange County Shooters site.

Lots of good info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#45]
January bump
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The rest is correct.

In my county the reference has to have known you for several years.

"Years"??? First I ever heard this.

Would you care to mention the county?

-ml
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"Years"??? First I ever heard this.

Would you care to mention the county?

-ml

Tompkins County.
I believe the application lists 5 years or more, but its been a while since I read it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#48]
The TC instructions also say the references can't be related to EACH other.

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A judge in Oswego was restricting permits, however a different judge is doing it now and I'm just not sure. My guess is they are restricting permits.

I applied for my permit to be unrestricted about 1 yr ago here in Oswego County.  I was denied, I had to write a letter explaining why I was seeking the unrestricted.  Maybe its worth it to try again if a different judge is doing it now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Got my permit yesterday in westchester! It took 3months almost to the day from when I submitted everything. I had actually gotten the application in may. After I picked it up I drove across the bridge to Davis so that I could "leagaly" hold a pistol in NY! Didn't think I would find a new Ruger LCP sitting there calling my name.... a $100 deposit later....... now I already need to submit an amendment! Can't wait till i move to Ulster or Binghamton this summer and try to get my restrictions removed!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top