Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/12/2010 9:45:02 AM EDT
My local dealer just showed me a flyer and he is getting in two next week. The first 500 are numbered. I believe it was called the "range officer"? I could be wrong but officer was definately in the title.

Looked a lot like a loaded to me. I might have to break down and get 1911 #4. What excuse can I use? This one has adjustable sight! Yeah thats it, I don't have one with adjustable sights!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/1911RangeOfficer.htm

Looks good, kind of a cross between a Milspec and a Loaded, wish they'd release it with a different rear sight, though.  Don't like those Bomar-style adjustables, would be great with some kind of fixed sight, a good, forged, "entry level" practical pistol with no frills, but a step up from the Milspec.  

~Augee

Wow!  SGB beat me to it with the brochure.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Sort of a poor man's Gold Cup.  Any idea on price tag?
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a Gold Cup National Match SS.  I am also poor.  Other than resembling your remark what exactly are you trying to imply my friend?  
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't buy 7 round 1911s.......... I only buy 8 round ones..............
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well my dealer is getting a good deal so I would be getting a good deal too. $710 out the door. I don't know what it really should be, but more than that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
That sight takes a pretty severe cut in the slide so I would think you're stuck with it. Nice pistol, and with the 2-way adjustable sight would be a lot of fun at 25 yds which of course is the idea. It's great to see SA reacting to a soft market by coming up with alternatives. I guess all SAs have the 'funny' mainspring housing with the lock. I only shoot pistols at 25 yds to fine-tune my sights (if adjustable) or learn my hold-offs for fixed sights, so a dedicated range gun is not in my plans, but while it's not really set-up for carry it could still serve to protect on the home front. It was smart to go with the standard guide rod/spring retainer because many buyers hate to pay for features that they plan to remove anyway.

And Spiffums, in case you were serious, there are plenty of dependable 8-rd mags on the market. The two that came with my Taurus work great, and I have recently bought and proofed Mec-Gar (Italy) Nickel and ACT (Italy) blued 8-rounders, all with the finger-rest removable base. None of them were over $20.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/Photos/1911020.jpg

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/1911RangeOfficer.htm

Looks good, kind of a cross between a Milspec and a Loaded, wish they'd release it with a different rear sight, though.  Don't like those Bomar-style adjustables, would be great with some kind of fixed sight, a good, forged, "entry level" practical pistol with no frills, but a step up from the Milspec.  

~Augee

Wow!  SGB beat me to it with the brochure.

Bummer about the rear sight.  With a normal fixed rear, some new grips, and a bit of skateboard tape on the front strap I'd rock that thing in a second.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]

I like it! Replace the rear with a Harrison Custom sight and I'm good to go.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't like those Bomar-style adjustables.

Same. Got the same sight and the adjustment knobs on it are real rough and gritty. Other than that its a nice looking 1911.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
You know, one of the things I really like about Springfield is they don't seem to feel the need to rollmark

RANGE OFFICER 6000

into the slide in 30 point font like some other manufacturers.

They just keep it simple.

That's a nice looking 1911 at what looks to be a good price.

Bravo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Kinda reminds of the Spartan

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
It does look just like a Loaded Target which is one hell of a good 1911 & the NM is worth a
lot more than they charge. IMO

For me to purchase one they'll have to prove to me what make's it better than a Loaded Target.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]
needs more fixed sight
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm...built with the same precision as the TRP?  So we can expect one piece barrels, tighter slide to frame fit than the Loaded, NM numbered frames?

Looking at it another way, if this is a basic TRP with a standard GI bushing, parkerized finish and no front strap checkering, forward cocking serrations or ambi-safety, I'm definitely interested.  The listed price point (TRP quality at a lower price than a Loaded?) has me skeptical.  That'd be a great base gun for a customized build.

Definitely need a fixed sight version with the Novak cut.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmmm.

Add the sight that SGB posted and I may just have to have one of those.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
A Loaded without the FCS and stupid 2-piece guide rod: a step in the right direction.  Now they need to do something similar with their doublestack model, if only to keep Para Ordnance from ruling the sub-$1000 Limited gun market.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Speaking of Loaded Target...  Some loaded target goodness.  Love this pistol!  Am considering the Harrison rear sight for it though.  The range officer seems like just a budget loaded target to me.  It would be perfect with fixed sights.

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Not that it would take much but theyre saying its better than a Loaded. No FCS, no stupid extra rollmarks and most of the work done in the US on an NM frame? Im interested but I bet they'll be vaporware.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Well here's some more...Mine!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not that it would take much but theyre saying its better than a Loaded. No FCS, no stupid extra rollmarks and most of the work done in the US on an NM frame? Im interested but I bet they'll be vaporware.

Apparently some are already out.  This one is definitely a NM...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/972932144/Guns/Pistols/Springfield-Armory-Pistols/1911-Type/PI9128LP_RANGE_OFFICER_5_45_ACP.htm

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I would be really excited if it came with Novak nightsights. I guess it wouldn't be called the "Range Officer" then, though. :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't get the impression that they're advertising this as better than the Loaded, so I don't think if you already have a Loaded Target it would have too terribly much to offer you.

I'm thinking this is supposed to be an entry-level offering between the Loaded and the Milspec, though I could be wrong; but SA would be competing with itself against the Loaded Target and Trophy Match series if they were trying to go for mid-grade production market.  

Honestly, I think it's great, because I think the Milspec is a great pistol for the price point, particularly the "NM" framed ones (I own a TRP and a Springfield Custom as well), but I prefer flat MSHs, long triggers, beavertails and "Commander"-style hammers, like I said, the only thing that turns me off right now is the Bomar-style sight, and while the Harrision rear sight is an option, I personally perfer Novaks.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't get the impression that they're advertising this as better than the Loaded, so I don't think if you already have a Loaded Target it would have too terribly much to offer you.

I'm thinking this is supposed to be an entry-level offering between the Loaded and the Milspec, though I could be wrong; but SA would be competing with itself against the Loaded Target and Trophy Match series if they were trying to go for mid-grade production market.

Honestly, I think it's great, because I think the Milspec is a great pistol for the price point, particularly the "NM" framed ones (I own a TRP and a Springfield Custom as well), but I prefer flat MSHs, long triggers, beavertails and "Commander"-style hammers, like I said, the only thing that turns me off right now is the Bomar-style sight, and while the Harrision rear sight is an option, I personally perfer Novaks.

~Augee

Did you read the flyer? Its saying its built the same as the TRP/TM but with out the extras. A lot of people dont like the stuff they left out too. If they did make one in a fixed sight version you could ship it off to SA for a checkering job thats a little better suited for everyday use and still save money over the TRP.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I like it, especially the lack of front serrations. I wish they would offer it in Commander size with fixed sights and a bushing instead of a bull barrel...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like it, especially the lack of front serrations. I wish they would offer it in Commander size with fixed sights and a bushing instead of a bull barrel...

My thoughts too..............but, i like it.I have my MilSpec NM frame almost like it now.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#29]
If they offered it in that version, as they said to cover most competition venues via a target rear sight, AND an extra customer installable carry sight, fitted in the foam in the case like they do with the holster, mags and mag holders they would have a hell of a package.

Maybe still use the Bomar cut but have the blade section removeable with set screws so one could change them out without having to knock out the base and keep your zero the same...
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#30]
If this had a set of tritiums from novak or heine, it would be THE best entry carry gun out there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#31]
They probably should have gone with an adjustable Champion sight in a Novak cut.  This would give you the best of both worlds: an adjustable sight to account for your loads, while not limiting your replacement sight options.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Then it would not be a entry level gun into USPSA and IDPA shooting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They probably should have gone with an adjustable Champion sight in a Novak cut.  This would give you the best of both worlds: an adjustable sight to account for your loads, while not limiting your replacement sight options.

Good Idea. That is a down Side to bomars, kind of stuck with one fixed sight option.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I get it that folks don't like stuff on this pistol, but since it is a "1 of 500" kind of deal, wouldn't it be more sound to simply leave it factory, shoot it and have fun with it the way it is?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#35]
it is a 1911, buy default you have to mess with it. I don't know anyone who has kept a modern 1911 in the same configuration as received from the factory.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would be really excited if it came with Novak nightsights. I guess it wouldn't be called the "Range Officer" then, though. :)

No, it would be called 'saxman's Taurus'.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I just looked at three of these Springfields at Randall's in Phoenix....two had bomar sights,one with strong side safety,the other with ambi safety.The third one had Novak nightsights with strong side safety.
The fit is much much better than loaded models,there was no play what so ever between slide and frame in any direction on all three guns.Workmanship is on par with the TRP's,just less bells and whistles.Trigger pull on two of the guns was 4lbs,the third gun trigger pull was 3.5lbs.
All  three of these guns were "NM" frames and the fit is superior to any loaded or Milspec pistols i have ever seen.
Slide and frame fit is as tight as my Browns,Wilsons and Springer TGO's....
If anyone is interested in a Springer 1911,i recommend wait till you feel one of these....for under $800 possibly out the door,it's a lot of Pistol.

Gun #1 Bomar sights,strong side safety,3.5lb trigger,SS match bushing,two mags,marked "1 of 500" on dust cover......Price $759.99
Gun #2 Bomar sights,ambi safety,4lb trigger,one mag,SS Match bushing,standard marking....Price $749.99
Gun #3 Novak Combat night sights(Carry Fixed Sights),strong side safety,SS Match bushing,one mag,standard markings....Price $779.99
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
[Gun #3 Novak Combat night sights,strong side safety,SS Match bushing,one mag,standard markings....Price $779.99

What was the model number on this one?  That is even cheaper than the PX9109LP...which is similarly equipped.

How is Springfield offering 'TRP' fit models at a lower price than a similarly equipped Loaded?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
[Gun #3 Novak Combat night sights,strong side safety,SS Match bushing,one mag,standard markings....Price $779.99

What was the model number on this one?  That is even cheaper than the PX9109LP...which is similarly equipped.

How is Springfield offering 'TRP' fit models at a lower price than a similarly equipped Loaded?

The One with Novak Combat Nightsights(Carry Fixed Sights) was Model #PX9109LT

The others with Bomar Target sights were model #PI9128LP

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#41]

The One with Novak Combat Nightsights was Model #PX9109LT

Thanks.  Sounds like you spotted a nicely fitted Loaded with a NM frame.  The PX9109L is a mainstay of the Loaded line, but has been out for a while.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#42]
All Three were "NM" frames,all three were fitted extremely well,the finish was identical in all three,Matt black on slide and frame,kinda a glossy matt black on slide stop-beavertail-mag release-thumb safety.
All front sights were drilled and pinned.

If i didnt already have 20 1911's.....id be taking one or two of these baby's home.....

Again,alot of gun for under $800 smackers.....

The store did have other Springfield models,target models and Milspecs,and TRP's...But only the TRP was fitted as tight as these pistols.
The other models were more expensive,but not fitted anywhere as tight as these three...
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I like it.

add an S&A magwell and go shoot IPSC

I like the sights too.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee

Did you read the flyer? Its saying its built the same as the TRP/TM but with out the extras. A lot of people dont like the stuff they left out too. If they did make one in a fixed sight version you could ship it off to SA for a checkering job thats a little better suited for everyday use and still save money over the TRP.

I agree. Offer the same gun with carry fixed sights. As this gun currently stands it looks like a decent Target gun. I'm struggling to see the point in taking a target gun and turning it into a carry gun and spending the money to throw on a Harrison designed sight? Buy a suitable base gun and customize or buy a gun that fits your needs.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee

Reread my posts,they DO offer a Carry Fixed sights model,i have handled both versions of this pistol...with Bomar Target sights and with Novak Combat Nightsights(Carry Fixed sights)......anf the price was really good......and fitted extremely good,to TRP levels....

I agree. Offer the same gun with carry fixed sights. As this gun currently stands it looks like a decent Target gun. I'm struggling to see the point in taking a target gun and turning it into a carry gun and spending the money to throw on a Harrison designed sight? Buy a suitable base gun and customize or buy a gun that fits your needs.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee

You may be correct, and since we haven't got the pistol in our hands just quite yet, I guess it's hard to say.  While it'd be great if it really was fit and polished like the TRP and Trophy Match pistols, what it says in the flyer could also be ad copy, certainly I wouldn't advertise my new line in comparison with my bargain line, I would advertise the fact that it's "almost" my premium line.  I do hope you're correct, though.  

I suppose what's throwing me is the reported prices we're seeing for these, it seems like they're being priced below the Loaded models.  As to why try to make it into a carry gun... I wouldn't.  I hope that a similar model is released with carry sights, and until then, I won't worry about the new model, because it's not targeted at me as a buyer, as it lacks what I'm looking for.  

FWIW, if it had Novaks, forget checkering the frontstrap, all I'd do is have FCS milled and an ambi-safety and call it a day.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Reread my posts,they DO offer a Carry Fixed sights model,i have handled both versions of this pistol...with Bomar Target sights and with Novak Combat Nightsights(Carry Fixed sights)......anf the price was really good......and fitted extremely good,to TRP levels....

Well if they do offer a fixed sight version, and it is put together with same attention detail as other higher priced offerings from Springfield, then this would be the best buy to come out in recent years.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Well if they do offer a fixed sight version, and it is put together with same attention detail as other higher priced offerings from Springfield, then this would be the best buy to come out in recent years.

I think so,i was very impressed with the three that i handled today.....the best under $800 1911's ive ever handled,forget buying lesser guns and building them up,you'd spend over $500 in work just to get a $600 milspec to comparable level......
Id say for the Price...a best Buy indeed....
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Looks like they're advertising it as an entry level comp gun.

I'm intrigued.

Who wants to bet they'll offer one with a Novak cut sight next?

That would be just about perfect and would have saved me a lot of money over modifying my GI to be essentially the same thing. Especially if the "bargain TRP" is truth and not just marketing bullshit.

EDIT: The more I look, the more I'm impressed. Aside from some of the MIM parts (not really a problem with Springfield, though) ILS, and rear sight, it's pretty much ideal. I'm really kinda excited about this one. *crosses fingers for different rear sight*

EDIT2: Where did you guys find this? I'm searching all over their site and can't find it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like they're advertising it as an entry level comp gun.

I'm intrigued.

Who wants to bet they'll offer one with a Novak cut sight next?

That would be just about perfect and would have saved me a lot of money over modifying my GI to be essentially the same thing. Especially if the "bargain TRP" is truth and not just marketing bullshit.

EDIT: The more I look, the more I'm impressed. Aside from the MIM slide stop, hammer, sear, and disconnector, ILS, and rear sight, it's pretty much ideal. I'm really kinda excited about this one. *crosses fingers for different rear sight*

Wow!  You missed the part where i mentioned that i handled one with Novak sights today......I win !

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top