Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 2:53:37 PM EDT
Not too long ago I purchased my first handgun, an HK USP compact 45.  Recently I was handling a Sig P226 and some Beretta handguns at a gun show and decided it was time to expand my collection. I really liked how the Sig fit in my hand. It was very, very comfortable. I also liked the Berettas.  So what is your yay or nay on a Sig or Beretta?

ps. Any forums specific to these I should check out?  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a Sig P229R.  It is a nice little shooter.  It is easy to take down and an overall quality gun.  My only complaint is that the trigger could use some work, but that's the same for most guns "out of the box".
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the way the Sig feels. Resale value on them is pretty bad though, so you can probably pick a used one up cheap.

How are you at shooting your pistol? Say 4" groups at 10 yards?

If not, you might want to pick up a .22LR pistol instead! Helped me fix all my flinching problems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Beretta...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
By Beretta I assume you are referring to the 92F since it is the Sig 226's direct competition.  That said, both are fantastic weapons and will do you right under any condition.

Grip: feel and size the advantage is to the Sig

Manual Safety: none for the Sig, but Beretta's is up on the side and even though spring loaded, it requires you to push "up" to disengage it.  In fact, in the USAF we are forbidden from using the safety for anything but a decocker.  Both guns are drop-safe so if you don't want to use it, then neither has the advantage.

Reliability: tough call... maybe a slight advantage for Sig, but the Beretta is one of the smoothest shooting handguns out there.  The open top slide on the Beretta also minimizes chances of stovepipes, though neither gun is known for being failure prone

Capacity:  even draw, 15+1 for both

Overall, I think it would come down to two critical things that only you can decide.
1) which fits your hand better
2) which fits your budget better

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
SIG all the way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently had the opportunity to shoot both, I dont own either and this was the first time I had ever shot either. I REALLY prefered the Sig. Grip better fit my hands, sights were better, and I was more accurate with it. I do own a Sig 220 and can tell you that reliability is top notch. I would imagine the 226 would be no different.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had extensive trigger time with both the P226 and the 92FS.

Apples and Oranages.  Both great fruit, but it depends which you like better!

I personnaly like the Beretta a hair better (especially since I got adjustable sights on it), but the Sig is very nice as well.  Both are comfortable, both are easy to clean, and both shoot great.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Both are good guns, and I can shoot either well enough.  It may come down to small preferances for you, such as: slide mounted safety vs. de-cock only.

If I was buying a new 9mm right now I'd go with a P226.  I've been really happy with my P229 .40, and the P226 is would feel just right.  Not that I would ever turn down a 92 mind you, they are good guns no matter what the haters say.

Check out the Beretta and Sig forums on this site for some good info on both.  Also check out sigforums.com.  Dont know of any Beretta specific sites, but google should turn up something.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Sig
Beretta
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not too long ago I purchased my first handgun, an HK USP compact 45.  Recently I was handling a Sig P226 and some Beretta handguns at a gun show and decided it was time to expand my collection. I really liked how the Sig fit in my hand. It was very, very comfortable. I also liked the Berettas.  So what is your yay or nay on a Sig or Beretta?

ps. Any forums specific to these I should check out?  

If we are talking full size guns, the Beretta M9 is an outstanding firearm. Smoothest action in any semi. I would take the beretta over the SIG 226

Now if we are talking compacts it isnt even close. The 228 and 229 bury anything beretta puts out in the same class

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned a P226, a P228, a P220 and a Stainless 92.  Sold them all long ago.

IMHO, you should buy . . .  neither the Sig nor the Beretta.

Consider instead a quality 1911, or at least a Glock.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Beretta makes an awesome shotgun, but sig handguns are as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#16]
First, I was a Beretta shooter when I qualified on one in the military.
Then I was a Beretta owner when I purchased the same model for home protection and range fun
I even chose a Beretta for my wedding present to my wife (yes I married a gun lover)

Now this is just my humble opinion and I've shot a bunch of hand cannons, pea shooters, cheapo's and $high dollar$ lead spitters.  I have spent more of my money on Beretta hardware than any other handgun manufacture.

+1 for integrated safety features (especially for 1st time gun owners!)
+1 for extra capacity (yes, I know the sig in question is same)
+1 for reliability (open slide and all)
+1 for one with a rail (versatility and all)
+1 for teardown and cleaning

I'd go with Pietro Beretta any day of the week!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I HAD a Beretta 92 and a SIG P226.

I STILL have the P226  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I HAD a Beretta 92 and a SIG P226.

I STILL have the P226  

I have alot of time with both the BERETTA & SIG. I have and still do shoot the Beretta alot since I am still in the ARMY, so I have 14 year's shooting the thing, it's a good pistol if you take care of it and keep it clean and serviced, they do have a problem with FTE, FTF and FTFire, but you can expect that from INFANTRY weapon's because we shoot the shit out of them. I did have my own a Beretta that I bought brand new years ago and I had problem's with it.

I have never had any problem's with the SIG's I have owned, I did have some FTF's but come to find out it was ammo related and not the gun, my sig is not that finicky about staying clean all the time and sometime's I do not get to clean it right away after I get done at the range, I do prefer the grip and the wieght of the SIG because it help's with the muzzel flip and I can get faster follow up shot's then what I could with the Beretta.

But what it really comes down to is what you prefer and what fit's you and your need's, you should try and shoot both and then you and only you can make that choice, all we can do is make compairisson's and recommendation's.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I like both, the Trigger reach is just a tad better for me with the Beretta.  Pick either one that fits you best and you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Beretta has a problem with the locking blocks cracking.  Sigs have a problem with frame cracks at about the 26K mark.

I had and extensive sig collection; P220, 226, 226, 239, 230.  Wife still carries the P230 which cut the web of my hand with the slide.  Sold the rest off.  Bore axis is too high on the P220 & P239. Sometimes i miss the P225, but thats the only one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've owned a P226, a P228, a P220 and a Stainless 92.  Sold them all long ago.

IMHO, you should buy . . .  neither the Sig nor the Beretta.

Consider instead a quality 1911, or at least a Glock.

I was thinkng the same thing.  If you want a .45 get a properly set up 1911A1.  If you want a 9mm get a Glock 17 or a BHP.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two center fire Berettas and one SIG. If I did it again I would have two SIGs and one more CZ. The Berettas are good pistols though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't think you will find a difference in them reliability wise.

Do what I did, go rent them both at a gun range, and see which one you like better.

Good luck.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I slightly prefer the 92FS over the P226, though I prefer the 96 Compact over either one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll say it,  Get the best buy a KIMBER.  sorry  i've shot and owned both Sigs and Berettas but i'm a 1911 man 110%  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
They both have horrendous triggers but Sig is by far the better of the two.  Like somebody already pointed out, they are overpriced and have terrible resale value, so buy used.  

If you plan on shooting alot or corrosion resistance and durability are an issue get a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
SIGS mean buisness. Berretas just tend to look in the mirror every chance they get
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top