Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/26/2015 11:26:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2015 11:34:56 AM EDT by epthunter]
I need a holster I can use for hunting, camping, and winter carry. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:40:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2015 12:41:05 PM EDT by 45ProCarry]
Raven Concealment. Their kydex Phantom is a superb holster. It's what I use for my 20SF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:42:45 PM EDT
Kydex pancake holsters are great if concealment is the primary objective.

For utility purposes though the Safariland 6377 or 6378 ALS holsters are a bargain. Solid retention at a bargain price($35 to $50 depending on the variation).

Personally speaking, I'll never use a holster without retention out in the field. I slid a hundred yards down a snow field with an M&P in a Safariland ALS holster. There was snow packed up into the holster where the muzzle end dug into the ice and snow and the grip dragged a trench through the snow. I had to clear the weapon and use a pen to push the snow out of the bore. If I had been wearing an average concealment holster who knows where my gun would've ended up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:50:32 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Concealment is not my primary objective. I will look into all the above.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:59:20 PM EDT
I still have a Bianchi pdq open front holster that I bought a long time ago that looks like new. Great all around holster but sadly I can't use it with my aftermarket sights
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jonathon:
Kydex pancake holsters are great if concealment is the primary objective.

For utility purposes though the Safariland 6377 or 6378 ALS holsters are a bargain. Solid retention at a bargain price($35 to $50 depending on the variation).

Personally speaking, I'll never use a holster without retention out in the field. I slid a hundred yards down a snow field with an M&P in a Safariland ALS holster. There was snow packed up into the holster where the muzzle end dug into the ice and snow and the grip dragged a trench through the snow. I had to clear the weapon and use a pen to push the snow out of the bore. If I had been wearing an average concealment holster who knows where my gun would've ended up.
View Quote
That's a great point, I never considered that.

That is something I'll look into for when I move back out west.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:26:57 PM EDT
I ordered a 6377. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 2:44:51 PM EDT by Mainsail]
Military M12 holsters are cheap ~$20 at the surplus places, online or brick-&-mortar. The attachment set-up will allow the holster to be worn on your backpack belt, something other holsters will not.

I've been carrying my G20SF in a Bianchi M12 holster for years on hikes, backpacking trips, and scrambles. It stretched to fit the gun- so no drama there. Protecting the gun is pretty much what it was designed to do, and the military can be pretty hard on gear. I've taken a fall or two with mine, including one serious 50' tumble down a hillside, and my gun was secure and undamaged. I also didn't need to stop and clear the barrel afterwards.

EDIT to add: Another bonus with the M12 is you get a cleaning rod with the holster. That might come in handy.

I decided that concealed on a hiking trail was completely pointless and counterproductive.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:36:22 PM EDT
Either a kydex holster from one of the numerous quality manufacturers or do what I do and use a Safariland Lvl 2 or 3 retention holster mounted on a GCode RTI paddle mount.
Top Top