Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 11:26:01 AM EDT
I need a holster I can use for hunting, camping, and winter carry. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Raven Concealment.  Their kydex Phantom is a superb holster. It's what I use for my 20SF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Kydex pancake holsters are great if concealment is the primary objective.

For utility purposes though the Safariland 6377 or 6378 ALS holsters are a bargain. Solid retention at a bargain price($35 to $50 depending on the variation).

Personally speaking, I'll never use a holster without retention out in the field. I slid a hundred yards down a snow field with an M&P in a Safariland ALS holster. There was snow packed up into the holster where the muzzle end dug into the ice and snow and the grip dragged a trench through the snow. I had to clear the weapon and use a pen to push the snow out of the bore. If I had been wearing an average concealment holster who knows where my gun would've ended up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. Concealment is not my primary objective. I will look into all the above.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have a Bianchi pdq open front holster that I bought a long time ago that looks like new. Great all around holster but sadly I can't use it with my aftermarket sights
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kydex pancake holsters are great if concealment is the primary objective.

For utility purposes though the Safariland 6377 or 6378 ALS holsters are a bargain. Solid retention at a bargain price($35 to $50 depending on the variation).

Personally speaking, I'll never use a holster without retention out in the field. I slid a hundred yards down a snow field with an M&P in a Safariland ALS holster. There was snow packed up into the holster where the muzzle end dug into the ice and snow and the grip dragged a trench through the snow. I had to clear the weapon and use a pen to push the snow out of the bore. If I had been wearing an average concealment holster who knows where my gun would've ended up.
View Quote
That's a great point, I never considered that.  

That is something I'll look into for when I move back out west.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered a 6377. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Military M12 holsters are cheap ~$20 at the surplus places, online or brick-&-mortar.  The attachment set-up will allow the holster to be worn on your backpack belt, something other holsters will not.

I've been carrying my G20SF in a Bianchi M12 holster for years on hikes, backpacking trips, and scrambles.  It stretched to fit the gun- so no drama there.  Protecting the gun is pretty much what it was designed to do, and the military can be pretty hard on gear.  I've taken a fall or two with mine, including one serious 50' tumble down a hillside, and my gun was secure and undamaged.  I also didn't need to stop and clear the barrel afterwards.  

EDIT to add: Another bonus with the M12 is you get a cleaning rod with the holster.  That might come in handy.  

I decided that concealed on a hiking trail was completely pointless and counterproductive.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Either a kydex holster from one of the numerous quality manufacturers or do what I do and use a Safariland Lvl 2 or 3 retention holster mounted on a GCode RTI paddle mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top