Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 11:52:22 AM EDT
Hope you guys might give me some help with a new gun I picked up at the gun show yesterday. I picked up a Colt Mustang 380 and took it to the range today. The gun looked very clean, like it has not been fired much. Had a bunch of problems. Almost think it is a peice of junk someone was dumping.

Anyway, the problem are:

1. It would frequently not eject the spent shell in the chamber.
2. It would partially feed a round.
3. Round in chamber, pull trigger, hear a click, but hammer not go down. Keep pulling an hammer would eventually go.

Thing was bone dry, so I did a through oilding. Did not really help.

The first thing I did from arlticles on this gun was order a Wolf recoil spring and metal guide. Maybe that would take care of problem #1. I also got their spring kits and 4% stronger magazine sprints too.

I was shooting Wally World Winchester 380 which are flat nose. I guess I should try some other ammo.

What do you guys think? If I cann't make it reliable I will dump it.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:08:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FlameRed:
Hope you guys might give me some help with a new gun I picked up at the gun show yesterday. I picked up a Colt Mustang 380 and took it to the range today. The gun looked very clean, like it has not been fired much. Had a bunch of problems. Almost think it is a peice of junk someone was dumping.

Anyway, the problem are:

1. It would frequently not eject the spent shell in the chamber.
2. It would partially feed a round.
3. Round in chamber, pull trigger, hear a click, but hammer not go down. Keep pulling an hammer would eventually go.

Thing was bone dry, so I did a through oilding. Did not really help.

The first thing I did from arlticles on this gun was order a Wolf recoil spring and metal guide. Maybe that would take care of problem #1. I also got their spring kits and 4% stronger magazine sprints too.

I was shooting Wally World Winchester 380 which are flat nose. I guess I should try some other ammo.

What do you guys think? If I cann't make it reliable I will dump it.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the new springs are in order. Not sure about the trigger problem. Try a complete detail strip, cleaning, install the new springs, and test it again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:48:25 PM EDT
Given the ejection & feeding problems you list, I'd guess it may be short stroking? I'd try the new springs you mention, I'd also clean & oil the hell out of it & then try some FMJ ball ammo instead of the flatnose stuff you mentioned.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:56:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
Clean the extractor well, and check the ejector for dimension, might need a change.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
Thanks guys - I ordered a new set of springs from Wolf.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top