Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 11:52:22 AM EDT
Hope you guys might give me some help with a new gun I picked up at the gun show yesterday. I picked up a Colt Mustang 380 and took it to the range today. The gun looked very clean, like it has not been fired much. Had a bunch of problems. Almost think it is a peice of junk someone was dumping.

Anyway, the problem are:

1. It would frequently not eject the spent shell in the chamber.
2. It would partially feed a round.
3. Round in chamber, pull trigger, hear a click, but hammer not go down. Keep pulling an hammer would eventually go.

Thing was bone dry, so I did a through oilding. Did not really help.

The first thing I did from arlticles on this gun was order a Wolf recoil spring and metal guide. Maybe that would take care of problem #1. I also got their spring kits and 4% stronger magazine sprints too.

I was shooting Wally World Winchester 380 which are flat nose. I guess I should try some other ammo.

What do you guys think? If I cann't make it reliable I will dump it.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hope you guys might give me some help with a new gun I picked up at the gun show yesterday. I picked up a Colt Mustang 380 and took it to the range today. The gun looked very clean, like it has not been fired much. Had a bunch of problems. Almost think it is a peice of junk someone was dumping.

Anyway, the problem are:

1. It would frequently not eject the spent shell in the chamber.
2. It would partially feed a round.
3. Round in chamber, pull trigger, hear a click, but hammer not go down. Keep pulling an hammer would eventually go.

Thing was bone dry, so I did a through oilding. Did not really help.

The first thing I did from arlticles on this gun was order a Wolf recoil spring and metal guide. Maybe that would take care of problem #1. I also got their spring kits and 4% stronger magazine sprints too.

I was shooting Wally World Winchester 380 which are flat nose. I guess I should try some other ammo.

What do you guys think? If I cann't make it reliable I will dump it.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the new springs are in order. Not sure about the trigger problem. Try a complete detail strip, cleaning, install the new springs, and test it again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Given the ejection & feeding problems you list, I'd guess it may be short stroking? I'd try the new springs you mention, I'd also clean & oil the hell out of it & then try some FMJ ball ammo instead of the flatnose stuff you mentioned.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean the extractor well, and check the ejector for dimension, might need a change.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys - I ordered a new set of springs from Wolf.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top