Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 1:46:01 PM EDT
Currently I have standardized all handguns on 9mm and .22.  1 Walther P22, 1 Ruger 22 pistol, 1 Beretta 92fs, 1 Glock 26, 1 HK P7M8.

I've noticed the Marines, LAPD, and several other organizations have been purchaseing .45 1911's. Is this something we should all pay attention to? I look at what is available from Glock, HK P2000, Sig, nice guns, yet those organizations chose a technologically updated version of an old pistol design.

What are your thoughts? Keep all the 9's. Get rid of one 9 and replace with a .45? Keep all the 9's and add a .45?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd just get a 1911 without selling anything (yet) you may not like it...Cocked and locked is not for everyone.

PS-Nice choice w/the P7M8!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd keep the .22's and dump the 9mm's. The HK will get you two 1911's by itself.
I think once you start shooting the .45, you'll wonder what you ever saw in the 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
get a 1911 if you wanna keep up. keep everything if you want to keep pace.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned a number of different 1911's of various makers and most have been reliable. My Colts have all been very reliable and are one of the few makes of pistols that I've never had to send back for repair due to failure. On the other hand, my Glock 17 had to go back to the factory twice due to failing to fire when the trigger was pulled rendering the gun useless. The 1911's I've had the most trouble with and seen others have problems with have been the souped up guns. The closer to stock you stay, the more reliable they seem to be, at least for me anyways.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have the money to purchase a semi custom or proven custom 1911, worries about reliability should be a non issue.  If you purchase a factory pistol, upgrades or not, your chances are good with the top shelf brands but you still might get the lemon.  Within the last two weeks of shooting I've seen more glocks fail than any other gun.  To be fair I have seen more glocks being shot than any other gun with the 1911 running a close second.   Find one you like and practice with it.  Glock, 1911, whatever, and if it will not run reliably, sell it and start over.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't sell any of your 9mm's.  You'll probably regret it.  Not because you'd be unhappy with a .45 but if they are guns you like, you'll never replace them for the kind of money you sell them for.  I'd strongly recommend a Colt model 1991A1.  They are damn good, and no more expensive than the Glock.  Mine has been superbly reliable, and every bit as accurate as my much more expensive kimber cutom II gold match.  If you have more money to spend, and you like the polymer guns have a look at the HK USP45F.  I certainly like mine.  

A Springfield Mil Spec might be a good way to start as well.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried the cocked and locked and did'nt like it for CCW.  I felt uneasy with the hammer back,  In a fast paced cituation I was very likely to forget to take the saftey off.   I like the 1911's but just for having purposes only.   Thats just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
keep the 9s(if you need the cash, sell the berretta)

buy a .45; perferably a 1911 variant
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I tried the cocked and locked and did'nt like it for CCW.  I felt uneasy with the hammer back,  In a fast paced cituation I was very likely to forget to take the saftey off.   I like the 1911's but just for having purposes only.   Thats just my thoughts.

You may want to consider a SIG P220 then...and consider selling the Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are referring to BRAND of .45 (LAPD SWAT Uses Kimber) vs HK or whatever, then Kimber is a fine brand to go with in a 1911.  

But if you are referring to which LEO Agencies use .45s, then yes, HK, Glock, and Sigs are all also used by LEOs.

Here in Fla, the County Sheriff's office where my brother lives (Clay County) issue weapon is a Glock 21 (.45 cal).  They originally used the Glock 10mm but the county switched due to cost of ammo.

But there are also LEO agencies that issue/approve HKs and Sigs too... they just dont get the press that the Kimber 1911 has gotten.  

The Kimber 1911 is a very fine choice... but so is an HK USP .45, Glock 21, and Sig P220.  All full size .45s.

Personally if this is your FIRST .45, I would reccomend the Sig P220.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Try someoen elses 1911 ... if you like it start the addiction.

MT
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]

... if you like it start the addiction

dont forget the fetish part.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may want to consider a SIG P220 then...and consider selling the Beretta.

Uh,  I dont have a berettahave
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I tried the cocked and locked and didn't like it for CCW.  I felt uneasy with the hammer back,  In a fast paced situation I was very likely to forget to take the safety off.   I like the 1911's but just for having purposes only.   Thats just my thoughts.

You will do what you practice. If you don't practice your draw then you are correct you are not going to remember to do it.

Oh I practice my draw daily and I have came to like defense weapons without manual safties (other than my finger)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top