Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2005 7:31:07 PM EDT
Hello Guys,
I have been lurking on the forum for about a year now and in the market for my first handgun (Only took 6 months for my permits to come in her
Thanks alot I look forword to learning alot and hopefully contributing to this awesome site
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It's no secret that I love Compacts and really dislike the SK.  Here is why.  First, the SK does not come in .45.  That's enough to nix it for me.  Second, I have small hands and cannot get my little finger and half my ring finger on the grip.  I feel that in a rapid fire high stress situation that maintaining control might be a problem.  Third.  The shorter the barrel the less velocity and the less performance you will get from the round.  Fourth, lack of choices in variants.  The SK only gives you 5, 4 LEM variations and one SA/DA with decock only.   I really like the SA/DA safety/decock of the V1 on the USPC.
For me, the USPC is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Much better mag availibility for the USP would seem to make that decision for me.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Big-Bore already hit up the main points. (Listen to what he says. He knows his H&K) If you get a P2000SK, chances are it will have the LEM. I personally could never see myself using a DAO handgun, so it's USPC the whole way for me.

As you've already said the compact feels better to you, I'm assumming you've handled both of them. Therefore, if you have any firearm confidence (you can work a safety and decocker) I w ould suggest taking a hard look at the compacts, although you can get the USP in any crazy variant you want if you want to dish out the $$$.

Although I have to wonder why your two choices are between the USPC and P2000SK as the P2000 is much more comparable in size to the USPC, although it's a tad bigger. (Perhaps these are the only two things available at your local store currently?)

When you make your purchase, come visit us at the HKPro forums. (www.hkpro.com)

~Scott

--------------------------------
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." ~Tpr. M. Padgett
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
scrap the SK, and just get a regular P2000.

Same size as the USPC, and much more comfortable.

Get the V3, which is the SA/DA version with a decocker.

Look at the HK photo thread, and look at the pictures in my post on P5.  The one all the way at the bottom is my P2K V3, and I love it.  Dead nuts accurate, and reliable...everything you'd expect from HK, and very comfortable to shoot.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank You for the feedback I apreciate it. Yeah the stores in the area are pretty limited and the P2kSK and a few USP's are the only guns in stock (The majority of the handguns are special order). As of right now I am ready to say the hell with the 9mm and just get the 45 USPc thats sitting there at the store looking so damn good. heading
Im heading down for a family event but will deff make a stop on Saturday. I hope its a good show and im able to check out alot of hardware.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thank You for the feedback I apreciate it. Yeah the stores in the area are pretty limited and the P2kSK and a few USP's are the only guns in stock (The majority of the handguns are special order). As of right now I am ready to say the hell with the 9mm and just get the 45 USPc thats sitting there at the store looking so damn good.

OT But is anybody heading over the Gun Show this weekened in VA? http://www.thenationsgunshow.com/

Im heading down for a family event but will deff make a stop on Saturday. I hope its a good show and im able to check out alot of hardware.

If thats what you're going to do, I'd just get the USP fullsize instead.  Since you can't CCW, the extra size certainly wouldn't hurt.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the USP for the DA/SA Safety/Decocker.

Where are you in NJ, you could take a look at my USP40c.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I prefer the USP for the DA/SA Safety/Decocker.

Where are you in NJ, you could take a look at my USP40c.

Central NJ Middlesex County U?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well...I guess that I'll have to be the voice of the opposition.  My team uses the USP tac for our primary secondary (M4 on point), and we carry the P2kSK for a backup - backup.  Damn accurate, easy to hide, thinner and lighter than the USPC.  Think about purpose here...how far are you going to have to shoot it (kills velocity issue), think about where and how you are going to carry it...I am a soild 15 stone, and I can't make a USPC go away under a shirt (no issue with the SK).

Lastly...quit being a bunch of ...and put one in the pipe and go.  I love SA, but when you need it for real (have) that first round comes off easy, and DA is a must.

Everybody has an opinion here, but look to those who own the equipment, know how to use it, understand the issues on both sides, and who are actively trusting their live to it.

IO1 out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#10]
IndOperator1:  just curious, but help me understand why your team carry three calibers?  I can understand the 223 and 45, but you would think the backup would be in the same caliber as the primary secondary?  Why would you use the P2000 with a P2kSK in the same caliber, use the same mags, etc.?  

Also, in 9mm models the P2KSK is .39" shorter in length and height; and is .17 lbs heavier.  When it comes in this close, then I think it comes down to a personal preference between the two.  Hell, I only weigh 14 stones, but I can sure hide the extra .39"  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IndOperator1:  just curious, but help me understand why your team carry three calibers?  I can understand the 223 and 45, but you would think the backup would be in the same caliber as the primary secondary?  Why would you use the P2000 with a P2kSK in the same caliber, use the same mags, etc.?  

Also, in 9mm models the P2KSK is .39" shorter in length and height; and is .17 lbs heavier.  When it comes in this close, then I think it comes down to a personal preference between the two.  Hell, I only weigh 14 stones, but I can sure hide the extra .39"  

Try to get .45 in any country other than here (like central Africa). 9mm is easy everywhere.  The reasoning is that if you have to go to the pistol, we want the first 36-48 rounds to have as much ass as possible.  After that 9mm will work on the way out.  We have never used the 9mm outside of training, but that is the theory.  Also USP Tac is hard to hide when we do EP work, so we have the SK for that function as well.  Carrying 3 is a pain in the ass, but it is what works for us.

Matter of personal preference: Yes.
It is not the .39" of front, it is the total liner distance AROUND the SLIDE that is why I FEEL the SK to be a more functional weapon.  Take a tape to the slide, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Opinions are like...well...me (or so I'm told ) LOL!

ETA:  No - .223 is not hard to get anywhere - just .45ACP and some other strange shit like 338Lapua, 50BMG etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys after renting and shooting different 9mm's I have decided to purchase a USP 9mm Fullsize. Went with the full since I can't carry, bigger mag capacity, and slighter lower price. Im already hooked! I can't wait to save up some $ and pick up a 45 .
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought that military calibers were banned in a lot of countries, so 9mm / 223 would actually be hard to get.  Makes sense to make a small stockpile of some of the less popular rounds, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought that military calibers were banned in a lot of countries, so 9mm / 223 would actually be hard to get.  Makes sense to make a small stockpile of some of the less popular rounds, just in case.

I assure you that .45 is the only hard to get caliber anywhere but here from my travels at least YMMV.  The UK sux for everything though, but w. Belfast has lended to more machinggun fire than anywhere I have been LOL!
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top