Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:26:35 PM EDT
I am so horribly addicted to JMB's master creation that it is not even funny.  I've just bought my third 1911 this month, and tomorrow I pick up number 4.  Looking back on my current handgun inventory, I haven't bought any different style of handgun since 1995.  What makes it worse, is that I haven't sold any of the one's I've bought in that timeframe.  The though of someone else putting their nasty paws on my cherished balsters give me the dry heaves.  I've got so many that I can't fit them all into my two safes.

I always told myself that as long as I was buying production guns, it didn't matter.  They aren't that expensive.  Then, when I started buying semi-custom pieces, I justified it by telling myself that I was only paying extra for upgrades I would do to a production piece anyway.  Finally, the custom guns drew me in.  Now, I'm not satisfied with production, or even semi-custom, anymore.  Anything that isn't "perfect", needs to be sent away until it becomes "cultured".

I've resolved myself to the fact that I can't willingly stop.  Am I alone?  Are there support groups for hopless 1911 junkies, such as myself?  I've tried taking a hiatus (3 years off) from shooting but it didn't help.  I still couldn't sell any of my collection, and I always wanted to buy more.

Oh, hell. At least my son will inherit a damn good collection.  He just better not marry some bitch who hates guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I too suffer. As I contribute to your thread I shall offer help.
I used my friend's Perazzi to shoot a round of skeet. My headgear contacted wood. I could tell as I saw it on his cringing face.  The Perazzi did survive.
My point is that you should spend more time at the range, if possible.  Get back into shooting. Shoot your favorite and most beloved pistol. Hand it to a friend and ask him for his feedback. Enjoy this aspect of ownership. Your son will never notice a blemish. Only a sign of your life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Alan,

I'm at the range 3 times a week as it is.  I've got it bad, I tell you.  I'm thinking about making it 4 times a week.  At my range, we have a little event called "Tuesday night steel".  I hear that it is not uncommon to see Rob Leatham or Brian Enos at these gatherings.  Would these "masters of the single stack" be able to assist?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope so. Certainly sounds like good company.  Shooting with better guys is a blessing It helps elevate your experiance and hopefully your skill level. They are better, arn't they?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
dude just man up and face it, there is no hope for you
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember there is no cure. You can only treat the symptoms!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel for you mate.  I'm fighting the urge to buy another 1911 AND another Hi Power and turn everything else into safe fodder.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe you need to start fishing!  That will take your mind off of pistols for a little while, plus you'll be dumping so much money into fishing gear, you won't be able to afford more pistols.  

Just a theory I'm considering after I move out of Virginia.  Until them, I'm in the same boat as you.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people collect watches, you collect fine pistols.  No worries.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They are better, arn't they?

Quick Robbie story:

One of the guys who shoots the Tuesday matches (he is a very good shooter) was practicing in one of the pistol bays when Robbie showed up to teach one of his classes to the "high speed, low drag" crowd.  Being the nice guy that he is, he offered to help Robbie set up the range and steel targets.  After they were done, he got a chance to shoot man on man, against Robbie, on the targets they just set up.  So, they got on line, the buzzer sounds, and they get busy.  My acquaintance was getting pretty full of himself, as he was neck and neck with Rob on the reactive targets.  He then looks over at Rob, and getting ready to mouth off, when he notices that Rob is only shooting weak hand only.

That will bust a man's ego for sure.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What are you guys doing for a living where you can pony up the wood for (4) 1911's in a month?
Damn, I need to work more overtime or something!

Man whore.  My sugar momma takes good care of me.

Actually, I work in a highly specialized field that has a huge shortage of qualified candidates.  As such, my employer pays me fairly well, and does everything they can to keep me from leaving.  It a living.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Brian, where do I sign up to ba a man ho?  

Here's another quick Leatham story.  In '87 I was shooting my first IPSC match at Shooter's World.  There were two matches, a novice match, and a regular match.  I shot the novice match.  Afterwards, Robbie walks up to me and compliments me on my shooting, and introduces himself.  I was an awestruck 17 year old.  I commented about his racegun, a Springfield P-9 in 9x21.  I had a comped .45.   He let the nerdy little 17  year old shoot his gun.  How cool is that?  He has to be one of the most humble, down to earth guys I've met in this sport.  Anyway, if you're shooting out at Rio, you'll be running into guys like him and Enos, Matt Burkett, etc.   That's why I live on the west side, so I don't have to shoot there and be humiliated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, number 4 (for this month) just came home with me.  Why do I feel like I can no longer comment on my wife's shoe/purse collection?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
the ONLY thing that slowed my 1911 habit was getting into reloading. If you think its bad now, wait until your load testing looking for that just right pet load. If you really want to get into a sick caliber look at the 10mm in a 1911 platform

good luck you junkie
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I struggle with the addiction as well.  Just sold a P7M10 and bought a Baer TRS in the past week... still on the prowl for a S&W 625 PC in .45ACP (don't have a wheel gun at this time and ammo interchange is attractive).  hat
After I stopped feeling sick and started feeling mad, it hit me why I was mad.  What was really lost was not the dollar figure, but all the time and care that his father took to amass such a well rounded and "unique" or "special" collection - a man's life work, his passion. It's my passion too.  I saw that whatever I could obtain and cherish could be gone in less than 10 minutes flat. Never has the concept expressed in the Bible so clearly been demonstrated that we are not here to build up treasure on earth where "moth and rust destroy" and "thieves break in to steal." Rather it is about the relationships we have and what we give to others while we are here that will stand.  

I did not meet him, but my "biological father-in-law's," predecessor to the step-father-in-law (before my mother-in-law re-married), death is still lamented by everyone I meet who knew him. He was a professional football player, then a high school coach, then a licensed counselor. My wife tells me that there must have been 400 to 500 people at his funeral and the "feeling" was overwhelming to see them all.  He touched each of their lives in a way that compelled each one of them to leave their jobs and attend his funeral on a weekday. This is how many, including me, want to be remembered; but it doesn't come through owning things. It must be earned by ones ACTIONS that, truly, speak louder than words.

I struggle with this daily and the search for that S&W 625 PC model still calls my name (until I want something else).  But, an hour with my children or a good friend in need of sound advice is worth more than all the guns in that damned safe. If you ask me on my death bed, I will say the same.  Live like its your last; it just might be. Sorry for the long post, just sharing my personal experience in hopes it will help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Spacmatic, you have said it all right there, comrade. I inherited my Dad's guns, and my brother's too after they died. I love the weapons they left me but nothing can replace the times we had.. and the times we DIDNT or don't have.......
I shall probably leave a good many guns with my kids barring economic calamity or theft.. Ya make me wonder tho, who will be at MY funeral, and what will they be thinking?
Like the Beatles said- "The love you take is equal to the love you make".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top