Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 4:58:14 PM EDT
My boss is considering purchasing a 4" python from a co worker. We both looked at it today and it is in damn near perfect condition. It's a standard finish but there isn't a scratch or wear mark to be seen.

He's asking $750 for it including about $100 worth of .357 ammo.

I know pythons seem to command a high price but was wondering if those of you familiar with them could tell me if this is too high, just right, or an outright steal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That's about right.
The going price depends a lot on the part of the country it's for sale in, but the going rate is usually from $750 to $1000.

The ammo really adds nothing to the price, ESPECIALLY if it's reloaded ammo.

What can add to the value is if it has the original Colt factory grips, and the origianal box with papers etc.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good.
If that ammo is reloads, do the right thing and throw it in the trash.
I always wanted a Python, but the ones I see are $900 & up and they're beat to shit...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
$750 for a Python in good to excellent condition is a vey good price. Ammo should not adjust the price. Sell the gun for what it is worth and sell the ammo for what is worth.  A gun deal should not be inflated just because one is adding ammo. Should be seperate purchases.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds good.
I always wanted a Python, but the ones I see are $900 & up and they're beat to shit...

Same here.  I've always dreamed of one but not willing to get one at the prices they are going for.  From what I understand they aren't even making them now and so the used market is the only way to go.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds good.

Same here.  I've always dreamed of one but not willing to get one at the prices they are going for.  From what I understand they aren't even making them now and so the used market is the only way to go.  

I think Colt is still making them, but they're selling them out of their custom shop for a breath-taking $1,200 each. That is way too much money. I've heard that they put through a price increase so that $1,200 could be higher.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My boss is considering purchasing a 4" python from a co worker. We both looked at it today and it is in damn near perfect condition. It's a standard finish but there isn't a scratch or wear mark to be seen.

He's asking $750 for it including about $100 worth of .357 ammo.

I know pythons seem to command a high price but was wondering if those of you familiar with them could tell me if this is too high, just right, or an outright steal.

I visited the local Cabela's gun libary last night.  Taking into consideration that they tend to have their prices a little, or a lot higher than other firearms dealers in the area they had a 4" Nickle Python for $899, the Nickle looked weird, not really worn but had a swirling effect to it.  I think the salesman called it "weeping"?? There was a 2 1/2" Nickle that looked real nice.  Appartently it was a early model and a 2 1\2" barrel made it more valuable.  It was $1499.  The last one was the one I would be interested in.  It was a Blue 6" with oversize Ivory type grips. It was $1050. It looked new.  A couple of the local Gander Mountain stores had Pythons go through them.  One had a 8" Blue that they were asking $650 for.  I should have bought it.  Another had a stainless? one.  I think it was priced in the $900 range.    
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Well last weekend my boss decided it was out of his budget for now, but if I wanted her go ahead.

So I did just that! Took her home todayheelgun
Feels great to finally have the real thing
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
 Wise decision.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top