Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 4:30:00 PM EDT
and let me know what you think.  Constructive criticism is welcome.

My wife is pregnant (our first) and she's having the first trimester blues....she's sick all the time.  So I was thinking the other day,  what can I do that keeps me around here (can't go shooting as much right now ) but leaves me available to help out if she needs me.  I decided to start making 1911 grips.

Here's a pic of both sets I made yesterday.  Left is cocobola and right is walnut.

Here's the walnut on my Kimber

Here's the cocobola

I've got a checkering set on the way.  Hopefully I'll have it here tomorrow and I can start tinkering with that as well.

I figured I would screw a few pairs up before I got it right but amazingly, the walnuts were my first set and the cocobola's were my second.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think,
Brian

Update
Alright,  Here's the current status.
Walnuts are checkered.  I put both picks up BC the flash makes the one glossier than they really are.  I sealed them with TruOil.  

I picked a hard pattern to do with the border.  As you can see, I have a few places I overan the border.

Here's where I'm at on the cocobola set.  Only initial cuts made on one grip.  I'm doing these in the traditional diamond pattern.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
those grips look awesome. I think they will look even better with the checkering.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
and let me know what you think.  Constructive criticism is welcome.

My wife is pregnant (our first) and she's having the first trimester blues....she's sick all the time.  So I was thinking the other day,  what can I do that keeps me around here (can't go shooting as much right now ) but leaves me available to help out if she needs me.  I decided to start making 1911 grips.

Here's a pic of both sets I made yesterday.  Left is cocobola and right is walnut.
img404.imageshack.us/img404/3963/dsc00773rk2.th.jpg
Here's the walnut on my Kimber
img131.imageshack.us/img131/5849/dsc00780im2.th.jpg
Here's the cocobola
img177.imageshack.us/img177/6469/dsc00781pd7.th.jpg
I've got a checkering set on the way.  Hopefully I'll have it here tomorrow and I can start tinkering with that as well.
I figured I would screw a few pairs up before I got it right but amazingly, the walnuts were my first set and the cocobola's were my second.
Thanks for looking and let me know what you think,
Brian

Looks good ! Not bad at all.
(Gonna do any Colt medallions ?)
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good. I got into it for a while too, even sold a few sets. Got too busy to keep it up though. Blindhogg.com sells some jigs for grip making. Also keep your eyes on ebay for some great deals on some beautiful wood scales.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks awesome!  And congratulation.  Your life as you knew it is over.  But it's not all bad, wait till she gets into her 2nd & 3rd trimester & gets all hot & bothered all the time, it's a blast.  (Almost makes up for the next 20 years of torture  )
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Great job hdbint

Precision wood working is a great hobby and very satisfying.

Good luck and congrats on the "future" grip maker

GM
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  I'm excited about the little grip maker / shooter we got brewing.

Quoted:

I haven't even thought about it.  I just like tinkering and always enjoy things that have to do with guns.  Where would I find these Colt Medallions?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the walnut, the checkering will look really good on them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Out of curiosity, what are you shaping yours with?  Bandsaw?  Belt sander?  When I make grips, I'll rough out the grip with the bandsaw, then attach an existing grip and use it as a template with a pattern cutter on a router table.  Sizes them up pretty quickly, then it's off to the sander for shaping.  Your radius(es) are fantastic.  Nice work, particularly for your first try!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you did ask, I am impressed. Well done
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The way I made these are:

1.  Trace existing grip outline onto scales with a pencil.
2.  Rough cut using a miter saw (outside the lines.  I leave enough meat on the right side grip to drill a clean hole for the mag release button.)
3.  Line up existing grips on scale with traced outline and mark centers for holes using a transfer punch.
4.  Drill through holes from presentation side as well as hole for mag release button on right grip.
5.  Flip, drill bushing recess on the back side.
6.  Shape outside edges using a disc sander to just inside the lines.
7.  Shape contour using a belt sander.
8.  Sand bevel at grip bottom using a disk sander.  I built a jig for this.
9.  File safety notch on left grip with a chainsaw file.  (I'm gonna build a jig as well to make this cut on a table router.  Should save mucho time as well as make this a nice clean cut.)
10.  Dremel the notches for the main spring housing pin.
11.  Drill grip screw recess on presentation side.
11.  Lots of hand sanding with 300-600 grit to get em to a nice shine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  I'm excited about the little grip maker / shooter we got brewing.

Quoted:

I haven't even thought about it.  I just like tinkering and always enjoy things that have to do with guns. Where would I find these Colt Medallions?  

Sorry but I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice work!

Are you going to offer them for sale?  (Assuming your hobby gets out of hand and you end up with more grips than you know what to do with and you make them with a magwell cut and yes I'd like a pair if you do?)

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nice work!

Are you going to offer them for sale?  (Assuming your hobby gets out of hand and you end up with more grips than you know what to do with and you make them with a magwell cut and yes I'd like a pair if you do?)

Thank you,

If I do it will go in the EE.  Lets leave it out of the thread as I don't want to get it locked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't even thought about it.  I just like tinkering and always enjoy things that have to do with guns.  Where would I find these Colt Medallions?

Found them !!!!!   HERE
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found them !!!!!   HERE

Thanks for the link.  I'll keep an eye on them.

Well, I learned something this weekend:
Wood Checkering: It's not like jerking off; not everyone can do it and it takes more than a few minutes to finish.

I checkered the walnut set yesterday and while overall they look good, I made a few mistakes (mostly I think BC I got in hurry).  But hey, it was the first set and I learned quickly what not to do.

I started on the cocobola grips and I am taking my time.  Looking good so far.  I will try to get a few pics up tonight of both sets.

For the next set, I think I am going to do slim grips out of Wenge for my Ultra Carry.  Who's interested in a step by step tutorial on making your own grips?
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
Who's interested in a step by step tutorial on making your own grips?

Me!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me!!!

Me Too !!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2007 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Me too.  Better yet, if you're in the DFW area, then I would love to stop by and see it in person.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  Better yet, if you're in the DFW area, then I would love to stop by and see it in person.

I'm in the Houston area.

Alright guys,  I'll do a pictoral on making your own sets.  It will be this weekend before I have a chance to start.

Update on checkering in the first post.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Be careful when working with cocobola.

The dust can cause some bad reactions.

I work with it on hand forged knives, and I use a respirator when sanding.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reminder and a very good point to others looking at the thread...I use a 3M mask.  

ETA...anyone working with woods should google Wood Toxicity and check out what you're working with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the reminder and a very good point to others looking at the thread...I use a 3M mask.  

ETA...anyone working with woods should google Wood Toxicity and check out what you're working with.

Glad to hear you are staying safe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Those both look very nice, but I really like the cocobola.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Try some desert ironwood ;)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Try some desert ironwood ;)

Hard to find stuff.

Well guys,  it's been a tough month and a half.  The doctors are considering the wifey a high risk pregancy and have put her on extremely light duty for the rest of the term.  She has had a procedure done which will hopefully help her carry the baby to full term.  

I've been busy doing house work and chores but finally had a chance this past weekend to work on some grips and I took some pics of the procedure.  I will hopefully get the pics up in the next few days along with some tips and tricks.  Probably will be put it in a new thread when I get it up and link it from here.

If you have a chance, say a prayer for me, Mrs. hdbint and the newbie on the way.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Prayers sent.....Good luck with all of it....very nice looking grips BTW.

And don't worry,  my son was born 3 1/2 months early, and weighed 3 pounds....now he's 13 months eats more than me, and loves cap guns....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top