Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 2:38:32 AM EDT
will a bullet still fire if it is not chambered?

i have heard nah they will just cook off and yes they will go boom
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:51:01 AM EDT
Without a chamber and barrel to channel the force of the explosion, what you end up with is basically a super-duper firecracker.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:00:00 AM EDT
yup, a round could be fired outside of a chamber, but, unsupported it will explode like a firecracker. The only real danger is the possibility of flying bits of brass hitting you in the eye.

I read an article, must be 20 years ago, Winchester conducted a test with commercoial .30-06, they electronically detonated one inside a cardboard box. None of the fragments penetrated the box, the bullet didn't leave the neck of the case. The case ruptured and fragged all over inside.

Maybe a test is in order to prove/disprove this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:03:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RaynoEleven:
yup, a round could be fired outside of a chamber, but, unsupported it will explode like a firecracker. The only real danger is the possibility of flying bits of brass hitting you in the eye.

I read an article, must be 20 years ago, Winchester conducted a test with commercoial .30-06, they electronically detonated one inside a cardboard box. None of the fragments penetrated the box, the bullet didn't leave the neck of the case. The case ruptured and fragged all over inside.

If you lay a .22LR round across a 9V battery so that the case bridges the posts it'll go bang in short order.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:17:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zardoz:

Originally Posted By RaynoEleven:

If you lay a .22LR round across a 9V battery so that the case bridges the posts it'll go bang in short order.

I don't even want to know how you found that out
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:20:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 3:20:11 AM EDT by FieroLoki]
Damn, you people are making want to go home and "experiment".
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:23:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
Damn, you people are making want to go home and "experiment".

I'll hold your beer
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:26:20 AM EDT
Ok....... the bullet won't do anything.

The primer or the powder will make the case rupture or push the bullet out of the case neck.
Top Top