Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 2:38:32 AM EDT
will a bullet still fire if it is not chambered?

i have heard nah they will just cook off and yes they will go boom
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Without a chamber and barrel to channel the force of the explosion, what you end up with is basically a super-duper firecracker.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
yup, a round could be fired outside of a chamber, but, unsupported it will explode like a firecracker.  The only real danger is the possibility of flying bits of brass hitting you in the eye.

I read an article, must be 20 years ago, Winchester conducted a test with commercoial .30-06, they electronically detonated one inside a cardboard box.  None of the fragments penetrated the box, the bullet didn't leave the neck of the case.  The case ruptured and fragged all over inside.

Maybe a test is in order to prove/disprove this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
yup, a round could be fired outside of a chamber, but, unsupported it will explode like a firecracker.  The only real danger is the possibility of flying bits of brass hitting you in the eye.

I read an article, must be 20 years ago, Winchester conducted a test with commercoial .30-06, they electronically detonated one inside a cardboard box.  None of the fragments penetrated the box, the bullet didn't leave the neck of the case.  The case ruptured and fragged all over inside.

If you lay a .22LR round across a 9V battery so that the case bridges the posts it'll go bang in short order.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you lay a .22LR round across a 9V battery so that the case bridges the posts it'll go bang in short order.

I don't even want to know how you found that out
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, you people are making want to go home and "experiment".
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn, you people are making want to go home and "experiment".

I'll hold your beer
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok....... the bullet won't do anything.
The primer or the powder will make the case rupture or push the bullet out of the case neck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top