Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2004 3:28:25 PM EDT
why arent there more of them?

is Red Dawn it?

i dont want to see zombies.
or evil PIE.

how come this type of movie is never made?

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
why arent there more of them?

is Red Dawn it?

i dont want to see zombies.
or evil PIE.

how come this type of movie is never made?

Well, there are others like the Postman, Tremors, Enemy of the State etc, but they severely lack any substance. That is why the two shtf books, UC and EFAD are so popular amongst this group.

I think the majority of us want to see a movie where many of our techniques are implemented in the movie like stinky gun show attendees, mean gun shop owners, stuck-up gun owners, internet message boards, stockpiles of cool guns, mre's, 55 gallon water barrels and a bunker out in the desert.

Sadly, not many people would pay to see a movie like this, thus the big movie studios not investing any money in the making of one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of a good SHTF movie....Red Dawn was stupid. Any film with Patrick "Swishy" in it has to suck.

My favorite SHTF book was The Stand, by Stephen King.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I Red Dawn was stupid. .

ooooooooooooo, you're gonna get it now!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Omega Man?  Escape from New York?  F451?
Where you people been?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The writer of "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" is trying to get that book made into a movie.  That would be BAD ASS if they can get it done.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
"The day after tomorrow" looks good.
"Massive retaliation" was one from the 80's I only saw one time on cable, but IIRC it was aight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, there are others like the Postman, Tremors, Enemy of the State etc, but they severely lack any substance. That is why the two shtf books, UC and EFAD are so popular amongst this group.

I think the majority of us want to see a movie where many of our techniques are implemented in the movie like stinky gun show attendees, mean gun shop owners, stuck-up gun owners, internet message boards, stockpiles of cool guns, mre's, 55 gallon water barrels and a bunker out in the desert.

Sadly, not many people would pay to see a movie like this, thus the big movie studios not investing any money in the making of one.

My roommate is a film student here and is always looking for new idea. when i brought up the idea of a shtf movie he gave me the same response. basically not many people would go see it.

however if i were to make such a movie, my main goal would not to be red carpet and millions of $.
it would to be going for the "cult Classic" title.

It is summer time and we both will have plenty of time on our hands. i was toying with the idea of pitching the idea and making a short film about it. 45 min to an hour.

What would you like to see?

here is what i feel is lacking in the 3 movies posted above.

Postman- shows a group of people during the aftermath of shif. they have somewhat stability and are doing well.. now they have a postal service.

Tremors- I love Burt, he was a great character, but i feel most people wouldnt have to worry about underground mosters.

EOTS- a good movie about the man sticking it to you.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
There have been several SHTF movies made over the years, most of them in the 50's which involve an atomic kind of deal where everyone has to bug out and head for the hills before the bombs go off. I can't think of one off hand but I'm sure if you do a google search you'll find out something.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The writer of "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" is trying to get that book made into a movie.  That would be BAD ASS if they can get it done.

... I second that notion
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, if you can suspend your disbelief about accelerated global warming causing a sudden ice age...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Omega Man?  Escape from New York?  F451?
Where you people been?

F451 was a great book, but a crappy movie. I'll give you Omega Man and Escape from N.Y., though.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
UC er is "Unintended Consequences"?
What is EFAD?

Read Lucifer's Hammer, it is THE SHTF Book.

"Enemies Foreign and Domestic"

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... I second that notion

I read the script that Rawles wrote and it isn't very good at all. He completely removed the UN/govt. as bad guys and revolves only around the raid on the town taken over by the biker gang.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]

That was a good 'un, all right.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, ya gotta make it believeable. Who the fuck is going to attack and try to occupy the US?

Oh, I thought "Red Dawn" was very stupid.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
ahhh...  maybe they could make a SHTF movie and call it something like mad max?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well, ya gotta make it believeable. Who the fuck is going to attack and try to occupy the US?

Oh, I thought "Red Dawn" was very stupid.

i wasnt thinking of a direct occupation of the US.
but more of what we fear now.

dirty bombs\ small nuke devices.

i was going to call tom clancy for some ideas but i think he would just keep them for himself
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I can't think of a good SHTF movie....Red Dawn was stupid. Any film with Patrick "Swishy" in it has to suck.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I Red Dawn was stupid. .

ooooooooooooo, you're gonna get it now!

Mach1: Do you know who directed the movie Red Dawn?
John Milius.  He used to sit on the board of directors for the NRA. How many directors would put in a scene where the enemy confiscates the 4473s at the local sporting goods store?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Red Dawn was one of the best "Pro-Gun" movies ever made. I Love that movie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]
So Rawles is doing what the politicians do, moving to the middle of the road to attract more people, instead of sticking with what worked in the first place.  Maybe seeing the success of "The Passion" will show him what "no compromise" can do for you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#24]
What about Stephen King's "The Stand" ? Too bad the book was WAY better than the mini-series.

Want to check this out on the 28th:

www.thedayaftertomorrow.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There have been several SHTF movies made over the years, most of them in the 50's which involve an atomic kind of deal where everyone has to bug out and head for the hills before the bombs go off. I can't think of one off hand but I'm sure if you do a google search you'll find out something.

Some of them had some good parts.

In one case, a family is bugging out in the sedan, and they encounter a biker gang. The father, a middle-aged suit & tie type, takes care of the proplem with his M1911A1.

In modern movies, actual gun owners are all nuts or lack the courage to use thir weapons. The "real heros" now are all young unattached people, usually ethnically "diverse".
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#26]
"in one case, a family is bugging out in the sedan, and they encounter a biker gang. The father, a middle-aged suit & tie type, takes care of the proplem with his M1911A1."
I think I remember seeing that one late at night back in the 80's, it was a black n' white movie made in the mid-50's if memory serves.  There was also one where the people were pulling a camping tailer and ran into trouble but they had a S&W M-10 that they put to good use. God I miss those old movies, you hardly ever see em' on the tube any more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In one case, a family is bugging out in the sedan, and they encounter a biker gang. The father, a middle-aged suit & tie type, takes care of the proplem with his M1911A1.

In modern movies, actual gun owners are all nuts or lack the courage to use thir weapons. The "real heros" now are all young unattached people, usually ethnically "diverse".

Panic in year zero. Ray Miland and Frankie Avalon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Panic in year zero, LOL, that was it. Kind of corney but still a fun movie to watch. Has anyone else noticed that they just don't make movies like they used to. From about the mid-70's on the movies lost something. Not sure what it was but they just weren't the same. Oh, sure, now and again a good one came along but not like the older ones.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.conelrad.com/features/panicinyearzero/
Here's a link for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Panic in Year Zero, starring Ray Miland and Frankie Avalon.

A family goes on  camping trip, wnd while they are out of town WWIII starts.  They have to live in a cave for a while due to fallout, deal with raping, murdering scumbags, and barter .45 ACP ammo for medical treatment.  Two thumbs up.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UC er is "Unintended Consequences"?
What is EFAD?

"Enemies Foreign and Domestic"

Word!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#32]

i have been wanting to do this for some time now.

Doing a film on SHTF... budgetwise....very few dollars. Yet you would be suprised to see what a film student can do on a ZERO budget.

here is what we have.
60 acre farm, with small pond.
my stuff along with airsoft stuff.(okok, so i fell into the airsoft thing.)

what i was thinking about was a SHTF senerio with a few different point of veiws.

1) the survivalist, not dependant on anyone. can sustain with less than a 100 acres of land.
2) the city dwealler, comes racing to rural land once it gets too thick.
3) small town people that find the only way to overcome is with neighborly ties and help.
4)... open for ideas.

I am sure some of you have thought about this more than i have. so any ideas will be welcome.
i want to have a decent idea\script to present to my friend.

by the way, who wrote EFAD?

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget that while they are doing the ethnic diversity thing, they intercut the 20 minute rave into it also.  That really annoys me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Doing a film on SHTF... budgetwise....very few dollars. Yet you would be suprised to see what a film student can do on a ZERO budget.

here is what we have.

what i was thinking about was a SHTF senerio with a few different point of veiws.

1) the survivalist, not dependant on anyone. can sustain with less than a 100 acres of land.
3) small town people that find the only way to overcome is with neighborly ties and help.
4)... open for ideas.

I am sure some of you have thought about this more than i have. so any ideas will be welcome.

Travis MacGee. He'll be along shortly

If you were filming out in the PRK, I may let loose with a couple bucks if I could have a small part in the movie
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Travis MacGee. He'll be along shortly

If you were filming out in the PRK, I may let loose with a couple bucks if I could have a small part in the movie

Come on over to Illinois and we'll even by you lunch!

Is Travis Magee a member here?
If so, i havent been paying enough attention on the boards here!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
[Don't forget that while they are doing the ethnic diversity thing, they intercut the 20 minute rave into it also.  That really annoys me.

I promise no rave scene.

I began to fall asleep after the matrix played that shit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#37]
"Planet of the Apes"  (original)

Although we "missed" the SHTF part, we saw the aftermath.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#38]
You can see the SHTF part in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, where the Apes have had enough and finally say NO, unlike most of us gun owners.
http://theforbidden-zone.com/movies.shtml
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#39]
IMO

To me a good SHTF movie would be one where the shit DOES hit the fan. Red Dawn, while cool whe I was a kid, doesn't really seem possible. Those clowns would be annihilated with the quickness today. It's dated.

To me SHTF is absolute anarchy & chaos, where marshall law is only functional in some areas, but overall even the military is hopelessly outnumbered and is falling apart from the inside because the government has collapsed. Massive casualties, parts of the country that possibly have been hit with NB-and/or-C are unlivable. Groups of survivalists hook up to try to form a new republic, while gangs of violent thugs destroy what might be saveable. Other countries see the breakdown and begin to try to take advantage of the situation, invading from various fronts. While at the same time parts of the world also start to fall into upheval because the world's economy has also hit the fan.

Natural disaster movies don't create the same SHTF effect as society collapsing in on itself.

So far the closest to this idea has honestly been zombie flicks. Ok, the eating people thing aside, everything else pretty well falls into the same scenario.... chaos, disorder, and hopelessness.

Anywho... that's my idea of SHTF.

The Postman is dumb too. In fact, Costner is almost invariably a kiss of death for any movie. Open Range has been a mild exception.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#40]
The book Alas Babylon was a good SHTF read.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

here is what we have.

2) the city dweller, comes racing to rural land once it gets too thick.
4) ... the crazy university professor who kills all his neighbors and eats them

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

here is what we have.

4)... open for ideas.

film it in North Kali lot of farms and forists out here
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So Rawles is doing what the politicians do, moving to the middle of the road to attract more people, instead of sticking with what worked in the first place.  Maybe seeing the success of "The Passion" will show him what "no compromise" can do for you.

I think he cut out the big battle scenes for bugetary reasons. The movie would probably go straight to dvd.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
ahhh...  maybe they could make a SHTF movie and call it something like mad max?

Actually, MAD MAX takes place BEFORE the war...THE ROAD WARRIOR takes place after the Pockyclips.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#46]
ON THE BEACH (1959)

Gregory Peck, Anthony Perkins, Donna Anderson and Ava Gardner. More like a Shit-Has-Already-Hit-The Fan-And-The-Dust-Is-Settling (literally) film, it opens aboard an American nuclear submarine captained by Gregory Peck. The sub surfaces as it’s coming in to port in Australia. A lighthouse operator watches the sub go by and we hear on his radio that the “atomic war” is over and that no human life is believed to remain anywhere except Australia. The announcer also says no one knows yet when the radiation will arrive down under.

Eventually the sub leaves on an exploratory trip back to the northern hemisphere, which includes a cruise into San Francisco Bay. (Don't know if it’s true, but it's rumored that the film makers paid the guards on the Golden Gate bridge $500 to block traffic long enough so they could get a shot of the bridge empty.)

Not a violent flick at all, but an excellent production nonetheless (albeit EXTREMELY depressing).
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I liked the book, and the guy is welcome to do any goofy thing he wants todo, but can anybody explain the point behind the precious comma in "John Wesley,Rawles?"
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My favorite SHTF book was The Stand, by Stephen King.

I agree with every word you said
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, if you can suspend your disbelief about accelerated global warming causing a sudden ice age...

The trailer shows a massive tornado ripping through Hollywood

Ill watch it to see that alone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he cut out the big battle scenes for bugetary reasons. The movie would probably go straight to dvd.

The info I saw on the net was dated.  What's the LATEST on this?  Is it going anywhere?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top