Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
By Dawns Early Light

Fail Safe

Dr. Strangelove
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

what i was thinking about was a SHTF senerio with a few different point of veiws.

1) the survivalist, not dependant on anyone. can sustain with less than a 100 acres of land.
2) the city dwealler, comes racing to rural land once it gets too thick.
3) small town people that find the only way to overcome is with neighborly ties and help.
4)... open for ideas.

Sounds like you have a good start

Make sure to make the survivalist into a realistic character and not the typical whackjob portrayed in movies.  One that has his shit covered but makes sure to help out others.  

Also, the general theme should be of people TAKING ACTION and TAKING CARE OF THEMSELVES AND OTHERS instead of the typical hysteria shown in the movies.

I think what you see in the typical movies is projection.  You see the survivalists and people with guns portrayed they way the liberal writer would himself act.  "Survivalists" and most of the gun owners on this board are usually just self reliant people.  We like taking care of ourselves in all kinds of ways not just SHTF matters.  Most of the sheeple don't like taking care of themselves, so if you push too much of that in a movie, it won't sell.   Also if it's SHTF and realistic, they'll have to think about it...and they don't like that either.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
WaterWorld.

CW
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Just remembered, "7 Days in May" with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

CW
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
UC er is "Unintended Consequences"?
What is EFAD?

Read Lucifer's Hammer, it is THE SHTF Book.

Excellent book, also shows importance of referrence books in the future.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, ya gotta make it believeable. Who the fuck is going to attack and try to occupy the US?

The hordes of radical muslims that would like to do this....

www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0503GazaShooting03-ON.html

on our soil?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UC er is "Unintended Consequences"?
What is EFAD?

Excellent book, also shows importance of referrence books in the future.  

Ditto. A must read.

Used to own Massive Retaliation on VHS. Bought it as a joke. It's one of the gayest movies ever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought calling Red Dawn 'stupid' was against the CoC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out "Panic in the Year Zero"  with Ray Milland.  It is an old movie that's true, but it is a definitely a SHTF movie.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what i was thinking about was a SHTF senerio with a few different point of veiws.

1) the survivalist, not dependant on anyone. can sustain with less than a 100 acres of land.
2) the city dwealler, comes racing to rural land once it gets too thick.
3) small town people that find the only way to overcome is with neighborly ties and help.
4)... open for ideas.

Sounds like you have a good start

Make sure to make the survivalist into a realistic character and not the typical whackjob portrayed in movies.  One that has his shit covered but makes sure to help out others.  

Also, the general theme should be of people TAKING ACTION and TAKING CARE OF THEMSELVES AND OTHERS instead of the typical hysteria shown in the movies.

I think what you see in the typical movies is projection.  You see the survivalists and people with guns portrayed they way the liberal writer would himself act.  "Survivalists" and most of the gun owners on this board are usually just self reliant people.  We like taking care of ourselves in all kinds of ways not just SHTF matters.  Most of the sheeple don't like taking care of themselves, so if you push too much of that in a movie, it won't sell.   Also if it's SHTF and realistic, they'll have to think about it...and they don't like that either.

There are a couple more points of view you might want to remember:

1: The city dweller who has absolutely no plan of escape, extra water, extra food, and no guns for protection.  Let them suffer like the dogs they are and actually die.

2: The latest politically correct pov from the minority family with no preperation whatsoever but they somehow manage to make it out alive at seperate times and then reunited in the end by some miracle.  (make them die instead of letting them reunite though, please)
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
There was a movie called “The World, the Flesh and the Devil”.  It was made in 1959.
It happens just after a nuclear war.

movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1800296727&cf=info&intl=us

Interesting movie.  You hear what had happened from a tape recording the Hero listens to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmm, I'd imagine that the larger cities would become deathtraps for any invading army. If they're muslim, just dump pigs from the tops of buildings and load your bullets with pig grease he
Ben
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That was a good 'un, all right.

I agree.  I think it had a comet striking the earth, destroying civilization as we know it.  Then it was survival of the smartest, instead of fittest.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
By Dawns Early Light

Fail Safe

Dr. Strangelove

By Dawn's Early Light was a great flick.  Especially for a straight to cable release.  I think HBO did the movie.  I ought to see if that one is available on DVD somewhere.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for Lucifer's Hammer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
What about the George Pal flick “When Worlds Collide”?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top