Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 10:56:45 AM EDT
I've got a pretty decent work out routine consisting of day hikes, free weights and martial arts training, but i have a rediculously hard time loosing weight (more specifically, fat).  Muscles just grow underneath.  The only way to really loose the fat is to cut my caloric intake but i don't want to loose lean mass in the process.  Currently 6'0" 235, i'd be cut a 200 so that's my goal.

Personally, i think lunch is what's killing me.  For breakfast i generally have a bowl of cereal or a hard boiled egg, dinner i can cook whatever i want.  lunch on the other hand i'm always eating shit because there's just nothing healthy in a college cafeteria and i have piss poor self-control.  I'm thinking of just replacing lunch with a protein shake.  Problem is i can't carry a blender.  Does anyone know of a good brand of something bottled that i can just toss in my pack and drink down while studying in lieu of lunch?  Being decent tasting, cheap and available at wal-mart are bonuses for the college student.

This is only 3 or 4 days a week, the other days i'm at my apartment and can make myself something.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein is hands down the best tasting, easiest mixing protein supplement out today.

Just throw 1 scoop in a shaker cup filled with 8oz. of water, shake it up, and drink. I actually double the portion (2 scoops in 16oz of water). You get 100% mixture with NO residual just by shaking for a few seconds.

You get 23 grams of protein PER scoop.

The Double Chocolate is the preferred flavor. When mixed, it tastes like chocolate flavored water. NO aftertaste, NO chunks, period.

Ask around any bodybuilding forum, and everyone will say that ON 100% whey is the best.

You can get it at your local GNC on the sale days with a Gold card for the same price you can online. (about $24 for a 5lb jug)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I drink the GNC store brand. It's not too bad.

Edit:
Almost forgot. Guys here have recommended this place to me. When GNC ends their sale on whey I'll be ordering from them. You mix your own batch online, including whatever flavor, vitamins, etc you see fit. Good prices too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive found milk makes the shake 1000 times better, but sounds like milk would be a bad idea given your book bag situation.  Sam's Club usually has 6lb tubs of EAS Whey for 20 bucks.  

Raising your heart rate into the cardio range for 30 minutes or so 3-4 times a week, and decent diet will get you down to 6ft 200 in no time if you stick to it.  You dont need do insane nonsense about no carbs, no fat, no taste that seems to be the craze lately.  Eat sensibly and do some cardio and you'll see some changes.  Granted a college enviornment doesnt help any...but as you said...self control.  You might change your lifting schedule if its not working.  Can try the pyramid thing for a change every so often,  15 12 10 8 6, then back to your 15 or 12 rep weight until you fatigue.  I constantly change my lifting schedules and workouts to keep from getting bored.  

There are many different ways different people have lost weight ...not all work for everyone...you just have to find out what works for you.  Good luck

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't do the no carb thing.  I'm looking mainly to cut calories (which is the only real way).  The only reason ai specified the protein shake was because if i really start busting my ass with the workouts i'm gonna need the extra protein.

I like the whey protein from a company out of san jose called trader joe's.  Cheap and it tastes good.

I was hoping for something i didn't have to mix, but i suppose it wouldn't be a problem to mix the stuff in the morning, put it in a mini nalgene and throw it in something insulated with an ice pack.  That way i could customize the mix and add fiber to make it a bit more filling.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
ON (optimum nutrition) is decent stuff....I dont like the taste or the way it upsets my stomach. I know alot of people who like it because its decent tasting and its inexpensive....most people I know who dont mind spending more like Muscle Milk by Cytosport....stuff tastes absolutely amazing. There are so many different brands out there that its impossible to know which would be your best choice, and everyone will have a different opinion. Bottom line is that it WILL help with your goals to supplement with a quality protein supplement. If cost is a great concern you can always go with Champion nutrition protein....5lbs for about 30 bucks and its 23g per scoop...most protein has about that amount for an avg serving size.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have started using ISS Pro M-3 because it mixes well in water. I use the Chocolate and my sister turned me on to the Banana flavor as well. Beings milk is as high as gasoline I will stick with it and at $30 I like the price. Because I am currently pushing the 300lb barrier I am using 3 scoops in the morning after my cardio and Krav Maga and 3 about two hours in the afternoon before I head to the gym.  I am trying to go from 293 down to 260 by Thanksgiving and then down to 240 by X-Mas.  I know it can be done because I went from 313 to 209 in less than nine months to go into the Army.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had no problems with the GNC 100% whey protein stuff. 2 scoops a day, mixes just fine, and tastes like a watered down milk shake from Dairy Queen.  Also 20g of protein per scoop.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Well after trying everything over the years, and working in a GNC for over a year in college, etc I have come up with the two best options.

For JUST protein get AllTheWhey vanilla from allthewhey.com  Its better quality than Optimum Nutrtion 100% Whey and less expensive and mixes easier.

What you really want is a low carb meal replacement.  Best is Isopure.  Buy from A1sportsnutrition.com  Vanilla mixes easiest.  Chocolate peanutbutter tastes best to me.  Its the ONLY meal replacement that has the level pof protein it has and can be mixed with a spoon.

Whatever you do DO NOT GET CHOCOLATE in the above.  The coco (sp?) makes it IMPOSSIBLE to mix without a blender.

I reccomend these above all else listed above and I tried all of those at one time or another.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I take muscle milk, you can mix it into water or milk, and it really tastes like a milkshake.  It one of the better ones that I've tried.  Not terribly expensive either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top