Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2002 7:17:57 PM EDT
edited to say, give me your email address so i can send you a survey if you want to participate

i'm going to school and working full time. the courses i'm taking are 10 weeks long and the class i started today is english comp. the only assignment for the entire class is a research paper 25 pages long so between work and still having a normal family life i dont have much time to do a whole lot of research. my topic (i think) will be a profile of the American gun owner, such as what imcome bracket are you in, how many doctors or lawyers are here or are you like me a general laborer in industry, what is your education, etc. i'll post a poll next tell me anything you can think of that might be helpfull but try to keep it short and sweet so i can keep up, also how many of us are there on this board? i figure there is alot of diversity here. i'm going to try and stick to so-called "assault weapons" as a theme too.
thanks for your help

educated meaning 2 or 4 year degree
uneducated meaning no post high school
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Drop me an e-mail with your questionnaire and I'll fill it out.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I would work the angle that there is no typical gun gunner, that it goes across ecomomic, educational, race, and gender groups
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Send me the questionnaire via email and I will fill it out. I am a female gun owner, which would be another good twist to your paper.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a sign language instructor at the Stevie Wonder School for the Blind.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would work the angle that there is no typical gun gunner, that it goes across ecomomic, educational, race, and gender groups
View Quote

yes i'm going to do that but at the same time i want to show that there is an average gun owner (evil assault rifle owner) and i'm sticking with "assault weapons" to prove we are not gangbanger thugs, redneck drunks, etc. since that is the way we are often portrayed i'm working on a questionaire in MS WORD because thats the only way i know to do it, any suggestions will be appreciated

edited to say i dont know if i will use all of this info for my paper but i am going to forward a condensed version to the newspaper and my reps. when i'm done and any links relative to this will be helpfull
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Russian roulette with a single round in mag,PT-92.    You may not hear from me for a while.  

Bob   [8D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Russian roulette with a single round in mag,PT-92.    You may not hear from me for a while.  

Bob   [8D]
View Quote

Um, huh? Don't do that. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Superdav, if you want to e-mail me a questionaire, I would see if I might be of help to your research.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok I have been absent from this site for almost a year. Still do not know, what is an assualt weapon??? Is that the firearm of choice for the thugs or Al Queda as mentioned on the news more and more frequently??? Hate that term myself!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
"assault rifle"
i put it in quotations for a reason
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok I have been absent from this site for almost a year. Still do not know, what is an assualt weapon??? Is that the firearm of choice for the thugs or Al Queda as mentioned on the news more and more frequently??? Hate that term myself!!!
View Quote

Have you never heard of these horrifying Assault Weapons? They wander the streets randomly gunning down completely innocent and helpless women, children, and kittens. Not to be confused with the deadly and dangerous Assault Wagons, the SUV-like creatures who escape from their drivers' control and run over every living creature in their paths.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Superdave, we don't own "assault weapons".  We have only Homeland Defense Equipment.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Email me 2 questionnaires please.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Superdav
Send me the questionaire to my e-mail and I will fill it out. Might do some good to get some LE input.

Karl
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Send me one as well:

[email][email protected][/email]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Why don't you ask 25 of us to write a page each, or 50 of us to write 1/2 page each, or 100 of us to write a paragraph each, 500 to write a sentence each, or.............

Feel free to use this, let me know if I can help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Drop me an e-mail with your questionnaire and I'll fill it out.  
View Quote

send me one too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#20]
emails on the way, thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#21]
answers e-mailed back to ya

Karl
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#22]
email me a the questions.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#23]
One of the first things they teach you about making surveys is that on multiple choice questions the answers must be exhaustive and mutually exclusive. What this means is that all possible answers must be among the choices and you must not be able to pick more then one answer. What if someone went halfway thru college and now is a white collar employee ? What answer do they fill in ?

Also you must define your terms. What does educated mean to you ? Educated could mean alot of different things to different people. White/blue collar is a little less vague but you should define that too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One of the first things they teach you about making surveys is that on multiple choice questions the answers must be exhaustive and mutually exclusive. What this means is that all possible answers must be among the choices and you must not be able to pick more then one answer. What if someone went halfway thru college and now is a white collar employee ? What answer do they fill in ?

Also you must define your terms. What does educated mean to you ? Educated could mean alot of different things to different people. White/blue collar is a little less vague but you should define that too.
View Quote

Agreed..I had to answer "partial education" because I assume you mean govt. school system. ya can send me a form too if you want...
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Me too, me too!!!

[email][email protected][/email]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]
read the first post, i edited it.

partial meaning any incomplete post high school training at any 2 or 4 year school or votech type school, my questions are limited by the poll feature but i can work around that

keep voting
thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#27]
keep the votes coming, please!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Hanks right.   Sport Utility Rifles.  Shoot paper and bad guys with only one rifle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't really need to work anything,gun owners across all lines is just what he will find.

There is no one type of guy that owns guns,the only thing you could say all gun owners have are guns.
Only if you are looking for to something to twist and spin would you have a need to put all gun owners in a group.

If not, here is something to think about, gun owners are the only group to be looked at buy the FBI before they can be part of the group.
So what you have is the safest group in America having been looked in to by the Feds and found to be ok.
People on TV that give us the news of the day or the folks lobby for gun laws have no been checked out.
If you are the type that buys what the Feds say (like so many do)we are the far better people than most.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#30]
My email addy's in my profile.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a twist for your paper. Almost all of the car racers I know ( I'm a member of the Sports Car Club of America , the SCCA) love ANYTHING that turns money into noise ! Lots of our members are into competitive shooting. Lots of them enjoy going blasting. Bet you're sorry you made this post . HAHAHAHA. Hey , good luck on the paper. What do I do for a living... I'm a data tech for the phone company , the bastards.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Email me a copy of your questionaire.  I'll try and help you out.  

I am a general surgery resident.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a foreman at a plant that makes pre-stressed concrete building members.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#34]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Superdave, we don't own "assault weapons". We have only Homeland Defense Equipment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hank replied:
"i told you once, i told you a thousand times...

SPORT UTILITY RIFLES

a term the soccer moms and liberals can wrap their minds around."

Thanks, Hank, another good term!  I still prefer mine.  But I think both of our terms are better than "assault rifle".
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Firefighter/Paramedic.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Iam A disabled vetren with collage education in (juvenile justice) area, done mostly all blue collar work (heavy equipment)(machinist),I have my first rifle of age 12, also age 15 aswell at age 18 ( the last two were handed down from my brother and father from my grand father whom passed when i was age 3 or 4.
Just in the last three years i have begun to re-loade my own bullets, boughten over 20 diffrent weapons, from revolvers to semi-auto pistols,pre-bans, and long range rifles.
I have curently 1 revolver,1 long range rifle,1 pre-ban ar-15 comando, 1 1911 .45, 1 16 ga. shot gun, 1 30-30 rifle, and a .22 rifle (first gun)( the last three were given to me that i use still).
I like the challenge of the longest shot possible with the best shot grouping, (out do my brother and friends :o)), Being able to go hunting in all kinds of conditions,Poring down rain, Blazing heat, Swampy, rocky mountains and all that aplies, .
So many people think that some one that owns a gun is scared of their shadow or are just freaks of a civilized nation, I think not, we all have our own reasons for owning a weapon, from collecting to protection to hunting to computition to law enforcement to always have wanted one, there are more as well better reasons to those out there but this is just i general statment.
To me rule number one ,concerning guns(weapons), is that guns don't kill people-poeple kill people, from there there are many veriables such as accidents, Not waiting long enough for a miss fire, improperly passing a weapon to someone, all around not being safe,etc.
I have grown up in the oregon coast range, not in the city,not in a large town, the nearest town of 1000 is two miles away that spreads over a five mile area.
I had a heart attack over 15 months ago, i still shoot my 7mm rem. mag. and planning to get a 7mm rem. ultra mag. This is a consern to doctors when a heart is involved, i use plenty of padding on the stock with a PAST pad on my shoulder.
[red]Don't realy know were all you are going with your paper, just trying to cover basis.[/red]
Ill stop here, if you wish to contact me ,[email protected]

.[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#37]
thanks keep'em coming
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I am a bit aprehensive at labeling myself as "uneducated". I don't spell reel gud sometimes and I am at a loss for words on occasion but feel quite comfortable in any crowd. Maybe it's diploma envy on my part. Oh well, lets us have another drink. Crown and coke for everyone, bartender!

Edited because I'm drunk at this time.

Send me a questionare via email and I'll give you my full support. Hell, I'll even make up some shit to impress your professor!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#39]
i was going to change the poll to another question but i guess thats not possible so if anyone else would like to fill out a survey let me know i was wanting to get at least a hundred
thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Me - 38 y/o white male.  4 year engineering degree - white collar engineer

wife - 35 y/o white female.  Masters Degree - white collar management
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
emails on the way, thanks
View Quote

Send me one  [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Send me an e-mail and I'll get it right back to you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Superdav,
Tech support at OSU.

Send me a questionnaire at [email protected]

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#46]
send away!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm a sign language instructor at the Stevie Wonder School for the Blind.
View Quote

I'm a blind shooting instructor there.  How come I've never seen you at work?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#48]
College, lots of vendor-oriented Technical courses in Information Technology/Communications.

I'm an I.T. Upper/mid-level manager (I have management people reporting to me).

Did not go to college in four years....took about 20
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#49]
let's do this. "shoot" one my way.

email in profile
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm a quality control engineer for a tampon company.

I make $150,00 pr yr.
View Quote

Dude! I'm a quality [b]manager[/b] for a medical device manufacturer, and I don't make [b]half[/b] that! What company are you in so I can send a fu**ing resume?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top