Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2003 1:07:41 PM EDT
if some guy is tailgating me on the highway, can i just slam on the brakes and let him hit me? would it be his fault or mine?

i've got a 1/2 ton truck with a frame hitch and any of the plastic cars wouldn't hurt me (but another truck would).
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about "brake checking" being illegal, but deliberately causing an accident is.

You insurance company would be none too pleased either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the hell would you do that?!

I seriously doubt the cops would let you walk for causing an accident.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
ya, and the driver would probably be uninsured like the dumb bitch that rearended my 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab the other day while i was stopped for a friggin school bus

its a bad idea, dont do it, now, slowing down further to infuriate them.....when appropriate....works for me

by the way, the bitch totaled her car to the point my rear bumper broke out her windshield

she broke my right rear muffler hanger and bent the bumper a little bit, no real damage whatsoever......when i tried to drive away i just dragged the car with me, someone had to hold the brake down for me to get free!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
and as an aside, whenever i possibly can i simply get the hell out of their way
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Obviously it would be your fault.  Don't do it.  Just tap them a little and slow down.

Life it too short.  Thats what I need to remind myself when I start to get ticked over some other guy's driving.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah i guess the cops wouldn't be too happy, but as a driver you are supposed to maintain far enough back that if i did such a thing you would have enough space to stop. they're breaking the law, not me.

my insurance wouldn't (shouldn't) care because i wouldn't be making a claim.

can i rig up a button to push on my dash that would turn my brake lights on?

i like the "texrdnec" comment. i already drive slow on the highway, like 60-65 kph, like less than 40mph. but i'll even slower if you think it'll make a difference. :)

i am the king of driving slow on the highway. if i drive fast and the truck isn't warmed up, i can see the gas guage move. not good. :(

60-70 (in a 110 zone) is normal for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
if they don't like my speed, that's what the passing line is there for. :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew a guy who road motorcycles he would  just carry a cheap wrench and fling it over his shoulder, if it bounces off the tail gaters windshield he was too close, if it lands on pavement he passed the distance test.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if some guy is tailgating me on the highway, can i just slam on the brakes and let him hit me? would it be his fault or mine?

i've got a 1/2 ton truck with a frame hitch and any of the plastic cars wouldn't hurt me (but another truck would).
View Quote

LOOK OUT THE WINDSHEILD!!!!!!!!!
If you can tell that I'm "tailgating" you, then you are not paying enough attention DRIVING!!![noclue]
Whenever someone tries a "brake stand" on me, I'm coming around after the front end of your vehicle!! And I have no problem sticking you on the guardrail
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
"A dog ran in front of you"

Yeah, that's the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Purposely hiting your brakes could be construed as an assault with a deadly weapon (the vehicle). If it causes an accident, the charges could be more severe. There have been cases where "brake jobs" resulted in fatalities. Is it realy worth it?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Just pull over, let him go around you, and let him know how you feel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I read an article in the paper about someon who went to jail for brake checking, which caused the death of another.

So I wouldn't do it. Holy crap, "LOOK OUT FOR THAT CAT!!!"

TXL
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Im sure OffRoad would love to have someone drive right up his backside.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
If the tailgaters car will not even hurt your vehicle in a colision why are you concerned in the first place how close they are to your rear bumper????[8D]
BIG
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just pull over, let him go around you, and let him know how you feel.
View Quote

Best answer.....

Legal and Stupid are two different things...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I just drive faster.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
why dont you try driving the speed limit?
you should try not to impede traffic ya know.
Freeways are limited access so that you can move faster safer going real damn slow when the conditions are right for going the speed limit makes a safety hazard. that is a good way to cause wreaks. Which is the reason I dont like split speed limits for autos and trucks ether let them go as fsat as autos or slow the autos down. Having one part of traffic being forced to maintain a slower speed in a Safty hazard IMO
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I knew a guy who road motorcycles he would  just carry a cheap wrench and fling it over his shoulder, if it bounces off the tail gaters windshield he was too close, if it lands on pavement he passed the distance test.
View Quote

Now THATS intelligent!  Maybe I wouldn't turn this idiot into a thin red streak, but someone else might.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]
As far as I know...
Here in the states at least
Both parties in an accident have to file insurance claims with thier insurance company. I dont matter whoes fault it was. And your insurance wolud probly go up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#21]
There was a deer that jumped in front of me.

I do it sometimes.  It seems a lot of punk kids like to act all cool by doing it.  They usually lock up their brakes when I stop or slow real quick.  If they hit me it would only be because I had to brake quickly to avoid a collision with a deer or a car in front of me[;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I "break check" all the time....but not to the point of getting in a wreck.

When the annoying tailgateor has passed my tolerance threshold(10 seconds or so) I do the following:

1.  speed up a bit
2. drop it down a gear
3. slam on the breaks hard immediately release
4 immediately dump the clutch and hit the gas when you move off the break pedal

Ive been practicing this for a few years....with a 15' tailgate at, say, 70mph, I can increase my distance to a little more than 20', pull aforementioned manuvers and get the tailgator about 7-10' from my rearend before pulling away.  7-10' isn't dangerous to myself, and it seems to send a message to the tailgateor.

The idiots usually pass me and give me the finger.  I just blow them a kiss or lick my lips at them..

-HS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#23]
This subject came up a few weeks ago.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=183410&page=2[/url]

To be brief; I just completed 3 days of jury duty involving two charges of vehicular homicide
(and a couple of other charges). It was a road rage incident; one clown chased the other doing 70mph in a 35. Guy in front slammed on his brakes, car behind lost control, hit a median and killed himself and his 17 year old girlfriend. We found the guy who "checked" his brakes guilty of the lesser charge of "driving to endanger resulting in death".
He's in his early 20's and is currently serving a 5 year sentence.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I did this once...

I did not brake check but just slowed down and the guy tried to hit me so I speed up and he passed me then getting in front of me he GAVE ME THE BRAKE CHECK OF ALL TIME. I mean a complete stop on the highway. Several cars swerved and there was a lot of smelly rubber being burnt!

The lady behind me also stopped but here is the kicker, the guy gets out of his little honda.hindu.hundai or what ever it was and starts coming up to my door with a club device, he then pissed his pants at the site of my Sig 220 .45 in his face from a covered position behind the door of my truck. I used all of my voice to yell STOP BACK OFF as loud as I could. Literally he pissed them pants and gets back in his car getting on his cell phone. I saw his light brown pants go dark in the area. I was so amped or scared I did not laugh but really laughed later on. I still laugh to this day.
( I am licensed to carry concealed so when the cops showed up they gave him a ticket, a go to jail card, and some bracelets, and me a free pass!) Seems he had no insurance, no ID, and a warrant out for him!!!!!!
Mind you there is now a line of trafic behind us for what seems like miles.

Yet if I had checked him and he hit me where would I be now? Or if I shot him? Where would I be now? Or if he had a gun? Or if I was without my gun?
To many if's so the best advice is...

(get out of the way is the best advice!!!!!)

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]
THAT IS A VERY GOOD WAY TO GET SHOT. THERE ARE ENOUGH ASSHOLES ON THE ROAD (TAILGATERS, RAGERS ETC.) WHY ADD YOURSELF TO THE LIST?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOOK OUT THE WINDSHEILD!!!!!!!!!
If you can tell that I'm "tailgating" you, then you are not paying enough attention DRIVING!!![noclue]
View Quote

The rear view mirror is mounted on the windshield. It should be adjusted so you only have to move your eyes to look at it.

If you can't scan, windshield-dash-rearview every few seconds and be aware of traffic ahead of you and behind you [V]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Brake Check is what we call a "Swoop and Squat" on an traffic collision report. Somebody "swoops" down in front of another car and "squats" or hits the brakes causing a rear-end collision. You'll be lucky if your insurance doesn't cancel you, even if you were in front, because the insurance companies see this every day and know it for what it is. (See National Insurance Crime Bureau) You'll also be lucky if you don't get arrested for Reckless Endangerment. And if you do it anyway, FOR GOD's SAKE, DON'T LEAVE SKID MARKS WHEN YOU HIT THE BRAKES or you probably will get arrested.

Play Nice[wave]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i already drive slow on the highway, like 60-65 kph, like less than 40mph.
View Quote

Then speed up or stay "offroad" ya slow bastage. In the states you can get a ticket for impeding traffic for going too slow. And slamming on your brakes for no reason other than to irritate other drivers or to cause an accident is illegal, heaven forbid you kill someone.

Then there's always the chance that you'll piss off the wrong person some day. Remember, you aren't the only person in this world with a gun and there are some crazies out there that don't mind pulling one on you, I've been there.

As a side note, I'm glad that I'm not so cheap that I have to drive 40mph on the highway to save gas. If you're that broke how do you even have money for an internet connection?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to rear fog lights, I hit a button, they think the brake is on, and I fly away.

CT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Don't be so sure about that.  My GF was the meat in a 3 car sandwich at a stop sign.  First car went, she followed and so did the third car.  The first car stopped for cross traffic and everybody crashed.
Mini-van in front survived with decent damage to the tailgate and bumper.
Celica in the rear was a friggin mess.
Tahoe in the middle was thought to be just cosmetic damage.  Until I pointed out to the adjuster that the hitch was bent and made them check the frame.  The frame was bent from the hitch damage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#32]
wow, this got a lot (of heated and emotional) responses.

i truck has a bull low 4 speed so it doesn't do 75mph or whatever. i never do this in the passing lane.

it's canada, nobody has guns, basically.

on further thought, it wouldn't be too smart to cause an accident.

i only drive slow when the truck is cold. because when the truck is cold and i drive fast (60-65mph) i can literally see the gas guage move. literally. i wish i had a tach so i'd know what rpm's i was turning

i REALLY want an NV4500, 5 speed manual. and posi, but that's a diff story. :)

i try to stay "offroad" as much as possible. and i am a slow bastage, i really am :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Not to start a war, but break checking on the freeway, are you dumb?

I can see maybe on a 25mph road, but at 60mph, no matter what you drive there's going to be damage, if not to your vehicle then definitely you, especially if your vehicle is so "tough" that it wont flex and absorb some of the contact.

This would definitely be your fault, and your insurance would be paying for your car, damage to your health, as well as the guy you were going 55mph in front of,
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#34]
55mph?

i wish i drove that fast on highways, really.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I "break check" all the time....but not to the point of getting in a wreck.

When the annoying tailgateor has passed my tolerance threshold(10 seconds or so) I do the following:

1.  speed up a bit
2. drop it down a gear
3. slam on the breaks hard immediately release
4 immediately dump the clutch and hit the gas when you move off the break pedal

Ive been practicing this for a few years....with a 15' tailgate at, say, 70mph, I can increase my distance to a little more than 20', pull aforementioned manuvers and get the tailgator about 7-10' from my rearend before pulling away.  7-10' isn't dangerous to myself, and it seems to send a message to the tailgateor.

The idiots usually pass me and give me the finger.  I just blow them a kiss or lick my lips at them..

-HS
View Quote

one day you'll piss off the wrong person and you won't be blowing anything but smoke from the hole in the side of your hand.  There's a lot of crazy people.  Play it safe
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
55mph?

i wish i drove that fast on highways, really.
View Quote

my response to this is either

a) if you're in the left most lane, you deserve what ever crazy nut comes your way

b) if you aren't in the left most lane, you have the right to mild brake checks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn punk kids like you piss me off.  

I drive 55mph pulling into my driveway!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#38]
all i wanted was you're guys blessing to do mild brake checks (i guess). now that i have that, i'm happy. :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#39]
do it.  some of you Canadian drivers piss me the fuck off when driving here.  most of them drive like they own the fucking road.  just do it man! do it and post what happened afterwards.  i suppose you'll be one Canuck driver i won't be giving the finger to when they pass me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#40]
and why the fuck is Chretien such a dickhead?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
yeah i guess the cops wouldn't be too happy, but as a driver you are supposed to maintain far enough back that if i did such a thing you would have enough space to stop. they're breaking the law, not me.

i like the "texrdnec" comment. i already drive slow on the highway, like 60-65 kph, like less than 40mph. but i'll even slower if you think it'll make a difference. :)

i am the king of driving slow on the highway. if i drive fast and the truck isn't warmed up, i can see the gas guage move. not good. :(

View Quote

Do me a favor, stay the hell out of Oregon, Washington drivers are bad enough!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]
by golly! it doesn't take too much to get you guys all whirled up does it??

i can't stand chretien. most people can't.

===============
if i had a car that went fast i would drive the speed limit or more.
===================
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhhh, around these parts you could be in trouble.

Get off the road grandma!!!

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Ride my ass and you WILL MEET MY BUMPER!!

That being said I rarely go slower then 10 over on the freeway. People still ride my ass because they are going 90. Fuck that, I dont need to move over if I am going 10 over.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
not to break balls on the last comment,but....
no matter what speed you are at,if the road has two or more lanes,and you are in the very left lane stacking up traffic behind you, you pull over a lane and let them by. that is called the rules of the road.it's not up to any one person to determine that their speed is the fastest that should be allowed and screw the ones that want to go faster.
 the origional poster should be very aware of the MINIMUM speed allowed on highways. if you can't at least do that, find another road to take that has a lower speed limit. if you're in the middle lane and being passed on both sides, you're still screwing up the traffic,pull it over another lane. people driving too slow are often more dangerous than the speeders.
edited to add a reply about looking in the rearview meaning that you aren't paying attention...bull.a good driver has their eyes  GLANCING in ALL their mirrors on a regular basis. driving involves being aware of all your surroundings not just the with-blinders-on-view of strait ahead. no offence intended.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I would try changing lanes first. I find that most people will just go by rather than changing too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#47]
once and for all:

2 lanes -- right and left.
left = fast
right = regular/slow
me = right
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brake-checking on a bike isn't a good idea, especially on the road at speed. It isn't a motocross race.

An effective move at night on bikes equipped with center stands (NOT side stands) is to use your left foot and push the center stand down until it hits the pavement. The resulting shower of sparks is a real attention-getter for some reason. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Just pull over and let the dickhead pass.

You'd rather have him in front of you where you can keep a close eye on him anyway.

Besides, this allows YOU to control the distance between the two of you.

What pisses me off more than tailgaters is bluehairs and other unfit drivers who won't drive at the speed limit in clear traffic conditions.  Five MPH under is cause for me to get hot.  At 10 under,  I'll call the cops and report your tag for impeding the flow of traffic.

If you can't handle the speed limit in clear driving conditions,  you shouldn't be driving.

People who are screwing around with something while driving REALLY piss me off.  The worst of all is the occasional shit-for-brains who's reading a goddamned BOOK while driving!

It's times like that when I used to make use of my louder-than-hell surplus police siren/PA system package that I had in my last car.  It was never used as a siren (and had been modded so I couldn't access that feature while driving, for legal reasons) but the PA worked just fine.  Yelling at someone (at over 130 dB!) to put the damned book down and DRIVE THE CAR is a really great way to get someone's total attention.

I used the siren section of that system as my car alarm.

It also was connected to a radio system (I'm a ham and radio tech as well) and I could trigger the PA via a portable radio at two miles away.  I'd leave it operating in PA mode on a protected channel when I left the car in a parking lot, at least in unfamiliar territory.   Once in Miami (I was visiting) I walked out of a Publix to see some sleaze sitting on my damned car.   So I switched the portable radio to the PA channel and gave him a full volume "STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE."  and watched him jump through his own ass like he'd been shot.    Funny stuff!

You'd have to understand, this ain't no piddly little car alarm,  this is a full volume police siren/PA rig.  Loud doesn't begin to describe it if you're walking in front of the car.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top