I used 50-60 cal. size ball bearings.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:FREE IMBROGLIO!!!
View Quote

psssst, ... he's free.
now as for the topic:

If I'm being tailgated when driving in the left lane, i move over

if someone tailgates me in the right lane, i don't brake check, i just gradually slow down to around 45 mph and the guy usually gets pissed off and passes

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, that is the experienced driver's best response to a tailgater, slow slightly, encourage the tailgater to pass.  Give him room.  Just that simple.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You see, there is this rule that says SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.  It is in force on all roads with more than one lane per direction.

It is NOT your job to regulate the speed of traffic.

-Troy
View Quote

I don't and your free to switch lanes and blaze on by. At 80 mph (10 over) its not bumper to bumper traffic. There is PLENTY of room for you to pass me. If you think you are gonna FORCE me to move it ain't gonna happen. I don't feel the need to regulate the speed of traffic and I wont slow you down. Kiddies in daddy's truck going 90 can go around. People tailgate just to be an ASSHOLE. <---Fact. If I am going 10 over I feel absolutely no need whatsoever to move over for that one single ass clown that wants to go 90 or 100 mph. You wanna go that fast go right ahead. Just don't expect me to feel obligated to help you.

BTW. We are talking about tailgaters not slowing down traffic. If more than 3 people pass you when you are in the left lane in a very short period of time its best to get over.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actually, you do, and CHP here pulls people over all the time for holding up traffic in the left lane, even if they are exceeding the speed limit.

-Troy
View Quote

I was a licensed driver in Kalifornia for 10 years and NEVER NOT ONCE have I seen what you just described. Never even heard of it being done. 10 years!! When you say all the time I really feel you are greatly exaggerating.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It is hard to imagine throwing a wrench at car windshield while riding a motorcycle.  The motorcycle is much smaller than the car and to get rammed in the ass by an irate driver might cause you to have a real bad day
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if some guy is tailgating me on the highway, can i just slam on the brakes and let him hit me? would it be his fault or mine?

i've got a 1/2 ton truck with a frame hitch and any of the plastic cars wouldn't hurt me (but another truck would).
View Quote

Why do drivers from Ontario insist on driving 60 mph in the left lane on I-69 in Michigan, but will do 90 mph on the 401.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
If you believe that your truck won't get damaged much if a smaller car rear ends you, then you shouldn't be so concerned if a small car is tailgating you.
Just drive as you were, don't look in the rearview mirror and become more distracted by the tailgater.
If you DO have to slam on your brakes for a legitimate reason and the tailgater does hit you, then it WILL be THEIR fault... not yours and then that tailgater will learn a lesson.

[b]ArmaLIter[/b]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the whole point of the left lane is for faster traffic.  I think the DMV manual for new yawk says that in the left lane you should pull over for faster moving traffic, regardless of their speed.

I stay within 10 MPH of the limit.  I figure the fool is doing me a favor, he is gonna draw out any cops ahead of me.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
"And all of a sudden officer, that damn dog ran out in the middle of the road"

Thats what I would say...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Having read this far, my only comment is this.

"My next ride will be armored" A Daimler Ferret, or Fox is looking really attractive right now.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:FREE IMBROGLIO!!!
View Quote

psssst, ... he's free.

View Quote

Ooooops, what d'ya know, guess I'd better fix it.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Potatoes, carry potatoes in the car.

Well, and ummm just move over to the next lane, I forget I no longer live in NYC, people carry guns in their cars here. [banghead]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if some guy is tailgating me on the highway, can i just slam on the brakes and let him hit me? would it be his fault or mine?

i've got a 1/2 ton truck with a frame hitch and any of the plastic cars wouldn't hurt me (but another truck would).
View Quote

Yes. Very illegal.

Not a ticketable offense, but if the guy can prove in court that you did it, then the accident is your fault.

If the above happens and you filed an insurance claim, they can get you for insurance fraud (causing the accident, manipulating fault, and trying to profit from it)...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
why dont you try driving the speed limit?
you should try not to impede traffic ya know.
Freeways are limited access so that you can move faster safer going real damn slow when the conditions are right for going the speed limit makes a safety hazard. that is a good way to cause wreaks. Which is the reason I dont like split speed limits for autos and trucks ether let them go as fsat as autos or slow the autos down. Having one part of traffic being forced to maintain a slower speed in a Safty hazard IMO
View Quote

Don't know what it's like in Canada, but in the USA that can get you a ticket... A ticket that IMHO should be given more often than speeding, since it is more of a PITA (and more dangerous) to have someone granny-grinding down the freeway than to get buzzed by a nascar-wannabe...

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is hard to imagine throwing a wrench at car windshield while riding a motorcycle.  The motorcycle is much smaller than the car and to get rammed in the ass by an irate driver might cause you to have a real bad day
View Quote

I would imagine that the motorcycle could out accelerate just about 99% of the cars on the road, and would take off after tossing the wrench.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The tailgaters never bothered me on my cycle - it was the idiots who pulled out right in front of me.
View Quote

Agreed...

When I had just started riding, I dumped out due to such an idiot... Changed lanes right before a stop sign (right in front of me), then saw the stop sign and slammed brakes. Fortunately I was slowing down allready, but I was gonna need that now-occupied space to stop. So I clamped the brakes harder, locked the front wheel (thus learning the hard way what this does on a bike), and bam! Down... Fortunately, I was down to 'skin-your-knee' speed by then, so there were no serious injuries. Damage to my bike was repairable with a visegrips (bent turn signal mount)...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]
By doing a brake-check with someone close behind you, you are betting YOUR LIFE that the idiot behind you is awake enough, sober enough, AND skilled enough AND their brakes work, AND their vehicle isn't too overloaded,  to quickly react and slow down and avoid hitting you too hard.

If you are wrong, and they aren't fast enough to react, you could easily get punted off the road, or otherwise seriously injured or killed.

Given someone is tailgating me, thats enough evidence to me that they are NOT someone I will assume is paying attention.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you think you are gonna FORCE me to move it ain't gonna happen.
View Quote

I'd advise you to stay in TX then.  CA and possibly other states haev laws on the books about moving to the right to allow faster trafic to pass.  And I have seen this enforced before.  CA says that if there are 3 or more vehicles behind you and you fail to move to the right at your first opportunity then the ticket is yours.  The law was written to make trucks and RVs use the pullouts on mountain roads so that cars can pass them safely but it works well on the freeways too.  In some states it is illegal to pass on the right so you're slow moving self IS forcing people to go slower.  More to the point, by forcing others to pass you on the right you are creating an unsafe situation.  You have a larger blind spot on the passenger side so there is a greater risks of an accident if you do decide to change lanes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
If you do it don't admit you did it on purpose. Say another car cut you off and you had to brake hard. The fact that the tailgater didn't see the other car is more proof they were following too close. Dogs and kids chasing a ball are good on surface roads. I've done it, no one has ever hit me but one idiot in a bmw spun it and some have gone off the road.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Ever see the maneuver LEO’s use (here in the States at least) when they decide to take out a fleeing vehicle.  I forget what it’s called – maybe a “fishhook” or something like that.

Essentially they rear-end the speeding vehicle at an angle, generally causing the driver to lose control.  Sometimes the vehicle will veer off the road and hit a tree, culvert or whatever – sometimes it will flip!

Do you really want to risk something like that happening to you??

IMHO, the best solution for dealing with idiot drivers is simply to get away from them!!  Let them be somebody else’s problem!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]
My personal feelings, you drive in the right lane reguardless of speed unless you are:
a) Passing
b) Avoiding obstructions
c) Emergency vehical or other parked car on the side of the road.  It is now The Law in Kansas to move away from ANY emergency vehicals on the roadside, wether they have lights on or not.
d) Approaching an onramp

Infact some states are posting signs now adays that say, "keep right unless passing".
I've seen them in Kansas and Missouri(not that they bother reading traffic signs) and have heard of them in other states.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw some dumbass in a pickup truck tailgating this sedan on the highway one day on the way to work.  Out of nowhere, you see this blue light start flashing above the back seat of the sedan.  The guy in the truck got the hint and dropped his distance.

I got a good laugh over that one.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get the hell out of the left lane then....
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would cite him for Unsafe speed & Follow too close. I would cite you for Impeading traffic, Unsafe Stop, Reckless driving, and if you were stupid enough to admit doing it deliberately, arrest you for assault with a deadly weapon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top