Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2013 11:46:00 PM EDT
right now i am designing a tattoo, that has quite a bit of meaning to me.

it is based on a phrase my best friend used to say all the time.

the design is a triangular shape where the legs of the triangle are the words man, midget, and priest. i am struggeling with how to put the words "some things" in the middle of the triangle.

i know, it is odd, something original, with meaning, that will be inked into my skin for all eternity.

has anyone here designed their own?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  And fuck Godsmack.  

(good band, but it wasn't my intention to ink their logo on my shoulder a year before they even became a band)

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've 'designed' all of mine.

Some ended up being re-drawn and improved by the tattooist, but, the general design on all of them is mine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
this guy did

can we please leave that retardation in its own thread
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I made this few weeks ago when I was bored. You should put it on your chest.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm trying to design my own, but A) I can't draw and B) live quite a distance from any decent tattoo artists to do the drawing for me.

Thus far in life I'm ink free.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I made this few weeks ago when I was bored. You should put it on your chest.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/935598_652923074734693_1639749741_n.jpg

For whatever reason, I like that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you design one with Thomas Jefferson fucking FBHO up the ass while FBHO sucks John Adams' dick?

I'll chip in a couple bucks if you get something like that inked.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you design one with Thomas Jefferson fucking FBHO up the ass while FBHO sucks John Adams' dick?

no, as it would mean nothing to me
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take one for the Team, just think of how much that would mean to all the rest of us!

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Take one for the Team, just think of how much that would mean to all the rest of us!  

the one i am designing actually does mean something to me, which is why i am even considering it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a large W on each ass cheek.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:21:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

does that mean something?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will after has saves up to add the "e-l-c-o-m-e" to each cheek.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
WOW

Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WOW

Quoted:
Quoted:

that is disturbing
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, his ass looks like two M&M's when he does handstands.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I did a couple for a battle buddy back in '04, but never anything for myself.  I have a friend I've known since high school who's a tattoo artist now, and much more talented than I am, and I go to him.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Just make sure to run it past your cellmate first.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I did a couple for a battle buddy back in '04, but never anything for myself.  I have a friend I've known since high school who's a tattoo artist now, and much more talented than I am, and I go to him.

the design i am working on is a triangular shape where the legs of the triangle are the words man, midget, and priest. i am struggeling with how to put the words "some things" in the middle of the triangle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've 'designed' all of mine.

Some ended up being re-drawn and improved by the tattooist, but, the general design on all of them is mine.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the design i am working on is a triangular shape where the legs of the triangle are the words man, midget, and priest. i am struggeling with how to put the words "some things" in the middle of the triangle.

"Some" is a little shorter than "things,"  so I'd imagine you could fit them  on top of eachother -

Some
Things

However, since "man" is really short compaird to the others, you're going to end up with a long, skinny triangle, unless you use big stretched letters for "man" and crunch them together for the other two words (which is what I'd go for myself, it'd probably look best as an equalateral triangle, and put a little more emphasis on what you're going for I think, that all three are "equal.")

Of course, if your guy's anything like mine, he'll curse you for wanting to do any text at all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Some" is a little shorter than "things,"  so I'd imagine you could fit them  on top of eachother -

Some
Things

However, since "man" is really short compaird to the others, you're going to end up with a long, skinny triangle, unless you use big stretched letters for "man" and crunch them together for the other two words (which is what I'd go for myself, it'd probably look best as an equalateral triangle, and put a little more emphasis on what you're going for I think, that all three are "equal.")

Of course, if your guy's anything like mine, he'll curse you for wanting to do any text at all.

yeah, i figured it out how to make it an equalateral triangle, and yes, it needs to be there for the message.

it is based on a phrase my best friend used to say all the time "somethings are best left between a man, a midget, and a priest"
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know . . . I did a cool as hell, in-profile nude of my wife I've been saving $ for. But, I fucking love that idea!

Jeesh! Sorry, Babe! You may have to wait!
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I've worked with the artist on most of what I have.  One was totally what was in my head and came out through his hands. Others were modified from the basic flash. Still others were plain flash.

Find someone whose work you like and talk to them. Don't rush.

Probably the biggest tip I would give would be to stick to classic designs that don't look like cheap Merchant Marine tats from the '20s or that eagle my idiot nephew got that looks more like a vulture.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#26]
How important to you is it that you draw the tattoo yourself? You can take the idea you have to a talented artist, and let them handle the execution. Of course, you will have final say as it is your body and idea.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
right now i am designing a tattoo, that has quite a bit of meaning to me.

it is based on a phrase my best friend used to say all the time.

the design is a triangular shape where the legs of the triangle are the words man, midget, and priest. i am struggeling with how to put the words "some things" in the middle of the triangle.

i know, it is odd, something original, with meaning, that will be inked into my skin for all eternity.

has anyone here designed their own?

With the exception of my very first, I designed all of mine (20+)

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#28]
tell mine what I want a few weeks before, we email back and forth until I accept it
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How important to you is it that you draw the tattoo yourself? You can take the idea you have to a talented artist, and let them handle the execution. Of course, you will have final say as it is your body and idea.

it is based off a quote that was used all the time by my best friend who died almost 4 years ago, to say it is important that i draw it is like saying Verne Troyer is short.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you're hitting a snag, this might be the way to go.

Besides, maybe his idea will give you an idea!
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're hitting a snag, this might be the way to go.

Besides, maybe his idea will give you an idea!

Generally tattoo artists are usually a bit of artist.  Go speak with one and have them draw it for you.  Depending on what where why when they may charge for a drawing, so ask.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And when I stand on my head=

MOM.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I designed my own.  Tattoo artist made some modifications (mostly color, as he explained the color contrasts would make it pop more.  He was 100% right.)

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#35]
BTW, if you don't KNOW you have a good deal of artistic talent, don';t even try.  Find a GREAT artist, and then go to them with your idea.  Let them design it.  It's what they do.  A good tattoo artist doesn't just reproduce flash from the wall on your arm.  They can draw, and will make it far better than you ever will.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#36]
google: celtic triangle

you may find a good starting point
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I designed the last few, and have a few drawn up that I may get some day. Just holding on to them to see if I feel they're still relevant after some time has passed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't care if it does have meaning to you, that's the dumbest fucking tat idea I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I have and I'm slowly starting to regret it.

Back in my highschool days I was in a band.  The lead singer (my best friend) died and I ended up getting our band logo tattooed on my arm when I was 18.  20 years later, sad to say, I don't even remember him.  That's a chapter long closed in my book yet I still have a tattoo of what looks like a logo for a golf shoe manufacturer burned in my skin 'for all eternity'.

Thinking about firing up the belt sander...or I'm not totally opposed to the idea of having a skilled tattoo artist do something with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#41]
most of mine, yes, then i give to my artist and he draws it up. it always turns out way better then i could imagine...
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a tattoo of a polar bear in a snow storm on my butt

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't care if it does have meaning to you, that's the dumbest fucking tat idea I've ever heard.

i agree - LOL
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I've designed 2 of mine and one for a member of this board.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not sure if Gay or Awesome.....

How much is a "couple?"
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#46]
One of the guys I train with is a huge viking fan. He reads a shit ton of history and could, in all seriousness, write a book on the subject.

This is long before the show came out. It's his heritage and he could fit right in with the cast. Average weight/height but he is one of the strongest meanest mofos I have ever met.

Anyway, he designed all of his tattoos with the main one looking exactly like those on the show. I was like, "Hey!! XXXX has the same motif!" when the show came out. It is like a simple braided Norse design up his right arm, onto the shoulder, and down onto the chest with some knots/loops in it. He had the tat guy mix up the paint to resemble the color of ink that would have been used. I rarely admire tattoos but his is very cool.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's a design for you OP.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Like, wow man.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree - LOL

ditto and I am usually nice to inkies
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I designed the one of the flaming skull with barbed wire around it tattooed on an ass that's tattooed on my ass.
I can't post a pic for obvious reasons but it does show how edgy and hip that I really am
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top