Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 10:51:23 AM EDT
im curious about this sport, any racers here?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a guy that did. He said that it was great for beginners. He has since moved on to road racing. His biggest complaint was that the fact that the course was laid out with cones made it very hard for him to jusge things. He said that him and many other guys saw nothing but cones when they were out there, and that it made it much harder for them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
No I just drink, play poker and shoot guns.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I know a guy who is building a Cobra replicar for this.  I have been to one or two races and its a hoot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Auto cross and time trials. Power is second to handling and driver skill levels. Different classes for different types of cars. What else do you want to know?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I would actually like to start racing - hill climbs or tracks. Im not so interested in the cone races.  Rally or Formula Ford looks cool to me!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
hell yeah!!   racing is in my blood..that being said, you can have more fun at some other sanctiong bodies like NASA or speed trial usa, depending on the state you live in, there should be alternatives to SCCA, which in my OPP. sucks for people getting started and want to have fun w/ other cars/ drivers at similar skill level...

this is what i do for a living (why else would you live in socal?) so lemme know if u need more specific info...

the only substitute for displacement is technology
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#9]

or boost
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#10]
that helps out everything..www.twinsturbo.com
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Autocrossing got old....I co-drove in SCCA clubrally for awhile (AKA: I sat in the passenger seat and tried not to stain the interior...the only thing I had under control, and barely at that, was my pucker factor)
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Ran two races with buddies cars......one Mustang and one 325is.....

very cool.......not really that intriguing.......

Kind of like a gymkana.......
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
For those of you who may not know, the SCCA has more than just autocross.  Other racing options they offer include Road Rally, Hill Climb, Karting, and they're most popular area, Road Racing.  I make my living working on otehr people's race cars.  Anything you want to know about the club, I, or another member,  can find the answer for.  If there's anything I can help you with, please ask.

As far as the sport, I love it.  I just wish I made enough money to participate myself. here
ViseGrip
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I did with my 97 Mustang Cobra and I got tired of it pretty quick.
Sold the Mustang and got a Jeep and had more fun for longer periods of time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I know a guy that did. He said that it was great for beginners. He has since moved on to road racing. His biggest complaint was that the fact that the course was laid out with cones made it very hard for him to jusge things. He said that him and many other guys saw nothing but cones when they were out there, and that it made it much harder for them.

SCCA is NOT just parking lot racing.  

SCCA has a full blown road racing program, both amateur and pro.  What do you think TransAm and Speed World Challenge are?  The amateur side of the house has several levels.  You take your drivers school, go racing in Regional races, get good enought to obtain your National license, and go race in Nationals.  Your SCCA National license will get you a GrandAm or IMSA (ALMS) license.

I used to race SCCA back in the early '80s and we even ran 1 year of the IMSA Firehawk Series in 1988.  I have been working as a corner worker or starter since then.

Have you not ever seen the SCCA National Championships on Speed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For most of us working stiffs it is.........

The tires alone for one race can run you $700.....not to mention the safety gear.....any body work you might need later......

Or even the initial investment in a "dedicated" car.....

Yeah, for most of us it IS parking lot racing......exclusively.

I have attended some of the Porsche/SCCA road racing events........very cool.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Most of the SCCA events that I've been to are really small courses that have nothing to do with power.
Agility of the car and driving is everything.

Good place to start racing no doubt.

Bullshit.  Road Atlanta is not a "really small course", nor is Daytona, Sebring, Roebling Road, Barber Raceway, nor Charlotte.  All are at least 2 miles in length.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Auto cross and time trials. Power is second to handling and driver skill levels. Different classes for different types of cars. What else do you want to know?

Apparently you need to know more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hell yeah!!   racing is in my blood..that being said, you can have more fun at some other sanctiong bodies like NASA or speed trial usa, depending on the state you live in, there should be alternatives to SCCA, which in my OPP. sucks for people getting started and want to have fun w/ other cars/ drivers at similar skill level...

this is what i do for a living (why else would you live in socal?) so lemme know if u need more specific info...

This is all good when it comes to parking lot racing, but do those sanctioning bodies actually conduct road course racing?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For most of us working stiffs it is.........

I understand what you say, but the insinuation is by some that SCCA is parking lot racing only and that ain't the fact.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I do. I race SCCA ITC club racing, mostly Sears Point in Sonoma, and Laguna Seca in Monterey (these are "small"??). Occasionaly up north to Thunderhill or down south to Buttonwillow.
Here I am at Sears Point, about 3 years ago;

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I do. I race SCCA ITC club racing, mostly Sears Point in Sonoma, and Laguna Seca in Monterey (these are "small"??). Occasionaly up north to Thunderhill or down south to Buttonwillow.
Here I am at Sears Point, about 3 years ago;

members.aol.com/_ht_a/Fiat124Coupe/race-sp-3-27-prof-photo.jpg

Ah, the old Fiat.  Used to race ITS and ITA with Mazdas.  Also, at one point, had a tubeframe GT3 1st gen RX7.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#24]
If SCCA is too expensive, look into motorcycle road racing.  I  raced AMA CCS and WERA middle weight s for a while and it was a blast.    I raced most of the time at Summit Point but also hit  Road Atlanta, Roebling Road and Daytona as well.  Probably spent an average of $300 - 500 bucks a race weekend, depending the venue.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If SCCA is too expensive, look into motorcycle road racing.  I  raced AMA CCS and WERA middle weight s for a while and it was a blast.    I raced most of the time at Summit Point but also hit  Road Atlanta, Roebling Road and Daytona as well.  Probably spent an average of $300 - 500 bucks a race weekend, depending the venue.

We
Eat
Raw
Asphalt
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently you need to know more.

No, I don't need to know more. That's all I wanted to participate in. Road racing was too expensive and the rich guys were showing up with Porsche GT3's and a spare. Show up a SSCA event that has PCA and POC clubs running and you might as well go home. There's no way you were gonna beat the Porsches.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to run around in circles before deciding to go road racing.
I found NASA PRO RACING has a program for every one.

Never been on a road course before? No problem. HPDE 1, their high performance driving experience pairs you up with an instructor driver to show you how to get around a track and some class room instruction on how to comport yourself. Flags, what an apex is, etc.

You don't even need a  racecar. the 1st time I went, I took my wife's 4 door Chevy Lumina.

Want to haul ass in anything from your bone stock honda civic to track testing in a NASCAR touring series car? No problem HPDE 4 is the answer. Just hang onto your ass with both hands because there will be some very fast cars around you. The only stipulation is drive with your head. This ain't NEXTEL Cup where bumping is allowed.

Want to race? No Problem. Several series from Spec Miata to American Iron to Go Karts to Porche 944 , etc.

Last weekend I ran at Phoenix Intl Raceway on their road course. About 1/2 the track is the oval the big boys race on, then down to the infield road course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top