Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I love seeing yuppies freak when we grab a roadkill deer.  Unfortunately, Chinese restaurants taking them is way too common around here too.  I don't think they consider above freezing temps either
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love seeing yuppies freak when we grab a roadkill deer.  Unfortunately, Chinese restaurants taking them is way too common around here too.  I don't think they consider above freezing temps either
View Quote

So you drive by road kill and grab it?  thats like actually a thing?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I'm on a list with the county..... You have to have a carcass tag, you know kings permission and all that, to be legal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if it is fresh.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people only do it if they watched it get hit.

Some do it if it's been below freezing for days on end.

Some just say fuck it if it's not bloated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

watch it get hit.. sure.. i can understand it.. Chance coming across a dead animal no way..The Grocery store is that way my friend  

<--------- City Boy..
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be quite a popular pastime here. So long as it's not frisbee flat and stiff, belly on up. Actually there is a sub-group in the Armory hunting section RRMAS where the motto is "Remington or Radials, Meats All the Same". They also have some recipes under Carburetor cooking.

Lots of places used downed game. Sometimes donated, sometimes kept for personal use. As long as it's not damaged, why not?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Deer is considered "medicine" by eastern culture.  They probably even ground up thd hooves into some kind of tea.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
A few years back I passed by a black bear that was laying dead in the median along I-66. Looked to be a 250 pounder.

On my way back I made sure to check the place and lo & behold there were a bunch of Oriental folks working it up.

I figure they were just after the gall bladder and such as it was in the middle of summer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll have one L-32 extra spicy please!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#12]
If I see it die, and I gut it immediately, I'll take a chance.

Other than that, I like my OWN guts more than some ruptured critter!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must know my buddy Injin Tim , he doesn't buy any meat, he doesn't hunt.
Great guy - but I won't be eating at his house.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll have one L-32 extra spicy please!
View Quote

And extra well done to make sure all the maggots are extra cooked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#16]
You can't collect roadkill in California, even if you have a hunting license, valid tag and its in season. The reason why? I'll quote my hunters edu, "A three-quarter ton truck is not a legal means of take."
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#17]
If the Rainbow family is having a gathering in the area ALL road kill is scooped up lickady split.
Seen it scooped and then gutted at gas stations.

Boulder 91
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#18]
This has been all over my local news.  The claimed that it's not being served...and was gutted outside so there's no cross contamination.

I suspect that one of the delivery drivers thought to himself: "Free Deer.  I work at a restaurant and can dress this deer there"
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad and his brothers did once in Colorado. It was  good!

Temp was in the 40s and there was still steam coming off it. Fresh enough...
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't roadkill deer still have to be tagged?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

you know the yuppy thing he was talking bout?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've gotten my cert. that story makes my fucking eye twitch.
https://www.servsafe.com/home

ETA: But true.. I am a city boy.. I left the sticks and hillbillyville a long time ago.. I grew up in backwoods VA. Cant ever remember any one picking up a dead animal on the side of the road for consumption.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Skink would be proud
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA: But true.. I am a city boy.. I left the sticks and hillbillyville a long time ago.. I grew up in backwoods VA. Cant ever remember any one picking up a dead animal on the side of the road for consumption.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine it's too popular in places that don't get very cold.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I see it die, and I gut it immediately, I'll take a chance.

Other than that, I like my OWN guts more than some ruptured critter!
View Quote

Thats what I was wondering about, thought you had to gut animals pretty quickly to keep the meat in good shape. Seems like a impact that would rupture all kinds of shit internally would be a mess to clean up, even if you hit it yourself and got to work right away. Not that I know anything about it, one way or the other.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seems to be quite a popular pastime here. So long as it's not frisbee flat and stiff, belly on up. Actually there is a sub-group in the Armory hunting section RRMAS where the motto is "Remington or Radials, Meats All the Same". They also have some recipes under Carburetor cooking.

Lots of places used downed game. Sometimes donated, sometimes kept for personal use. As long as it's not damaged, why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only done it if it's deer that I hit on the roadway or if friends call right after an accident.   No way in hell would I touch it after its been sitting for more than a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Venison at a Chinese restaurant?

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#29]
theres a dead deer on the way into my neighborhood that is missing his head

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Local Chinese restaurant was found with a coyote in their freezer a few years back.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2013/01/coyote-corpse-found-in-pocatello-restaurant-freezer/
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Pilkington told Channel 9 they made sure the carcass wasn't cut inside the restaurant and there was no cross-contamination -- that is why the restaurant remains open.
"There's nothing that can be done at this point in terms of shutting it down because there was no threat to the public's health," Pilkington said.

The woman who reported the incident wants China Fun closed.

"Everyone is really upset about this, and I feel like it should be shut down," she said.
View Quote

Muh feels.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Didn't this happen last year or the year before at another Chinese restaurant? I think the owners said they collected the roadkill for personal consumption.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Sometimes you get lucky, and the deer comes pre gutted.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a boss years back that was an avid road kill gourmet.
He'd pass a carcass on the way to work, and would clear the back of his truck and pick it up if it was still there by the end of the day.

Many people refused to eat the food he brought to the Christmas party.

I suppose if I saw the animal get hit, there'd be no problem with dressing it shortly thereafter.
Mystery meat that's been sitting in the sun god-knows-how-long? NFW.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Hunters routinely leave deer hanging for days in temps above freezing on purpose, same with farm beef. I have never in my life heard of any person getting sick at all from eating deer or beef that had been sitting around in warm temps. I  think it would be too disgusting to eat if it was spoiled, and the worst that would happen would be puking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Mmmmmmm, Kung Pao Venison.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Ive picked up a deer that i didnt see get hit, But its was 0 degrees out and the body was still warm and laying in the road.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I was riding with a friend of mine when we saw a deer get hit.  He jumped out, threw it in the back of his truck and called his buddy to come and get it.  Some people pretty much live off wild game.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My coworker feeds his five dogs roadkill almost exclusively. He has family and neighbors that will text him when they see something dead on the road.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, if it is fresh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if it is fresh.

This ^^^^^^

Especially deer. I usually shoot 2-3 a season but grab at least another 6-8 backstraps throughout the year off of roadkill.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I was driving through Williamsburg VA several years ago when three does jumped into the road, I avoided two...

This was a residential road, around 11:30 in the morning, unusual time for deer activity.

The deer was DRT, my fender was bent in over the tire.

While I was bending the sheet metal out, a serial killer looking panel van stops, the driver jumps out, throws a blanket out, rolls the carcass on it, loads it into the van, and is gone.

The precision tells me this was not his first road kill recovery.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I came up on a car stopped in the road with a doe stuck under it a few years ago. The deer was still alive and bleating, a horrible sound. The woman that hit it was freaking out when I stopped. I told her to get back in the car and back up slowly until she was off the deer. After she did that I dispatched the doe and started dragging it off the road. She stopped me immediately and asked me to put it in her trunk so she could show her boss why she was late to work, and maybe make some stew later.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Waste not want not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hunters routinely leave deer hanging for days in temps above freezing on purpose, same with farm beef. I have never in my life heard of any person getting sick at all from eating deer or beef that had been sitting around in warm temps. I  think it would be too disgusting to eat if it was spoiled, and the worst that would happen would be puking.
View Quote

I got food poisoning from some venison pepperoni sticks I left on the dash for a week.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Deer backstrap is five star cuisine especially if it's off a doe.   That's like leaving filet mignon in the road.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Did it a Pickle Meadows.
1stSgt wasn't amused till he had a fork full of backstrap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Deer is considered "medicine" by eastern culture.  They probably even ground up thd hooves into some kind of tea.
View Quote

Well if it was like the food I ate in China ground up usually meant smashed with some blunt object a few times and tossed into a pot.  My favorite was chicken head soup.  They don't waste a thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I;m not seeing the problem here?

Except they're probably not selling it as venison right?  Just using it was beef I would assume?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Picked up plenty of road kill. Usually prefer to pick up deer that were hit by friends or ones that they saw get hit. Sometimes they are nasty and unusable (center mass hit by truck). The best ones are those hit in the head by the mirror - no wasted meat!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had roadkill deer. Backstraps are easy to get to if you can't get/dress the whole thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top