Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll have one L-32 extra spicy please!
View Quote

I can't remember what the L stands for, was thinking it would be V something.

And like the guy below says: Venison at a Chinese restaurant?  Winning!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can't collect roadkill in California, even if you have a hunting license, valid tag and its in season. The reason why? I'll quote my hunters edu, "A three-quarter ton truck is not a legal means of take."
View Quote

Perfectly legal here.  Last I heard, the state record was taken with a Ford Ranger somewhere in the Thumb.  350 lbs, iirc.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember that "venison" technically means a meat that was acquired from a wild animal through hunting.   Not necessarily deer meat.

So it could be practically anything and they won't be lying to you.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Just yesterday coming back from hunt, saw a small doe at night. Come morning the head was gone and body still there

My rule: chinese are cheap mofos, they will use every ingredient and produce for week and weeks without freezing it. They dont throw away leftovers at night and specially meat is always suspicious with them. SO NO I WILL NEVER EAT CHINESE and specially not buffet since its always leftover.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#5]
last week I helped my neighbors dress a roadkill cow elk.  WA. state trooper tagged it, neighbor's friend was on the road, saw it and made a quick call.

The trooper was cool, he helped the neighbor muscle it into a horse trailer.

Nice perk of Idaho, you wack a deer or elk, you're free to take it with you and harvest it, the only stipulation is you have to take the whole animal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to collect dead squirrels just for the tails, usually just snipped them off on the side of the road. Mepps would send me free fishing lures for every 10 tails I sent them. Wonder if they still do that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done the ole filet and release once or twice
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
“Everyone is really upset about this, and I feel like it should be shut down," she said.
View Quote

Dupe opinion, but it needs to be said.  Called the officials - they say "no problem here", but her feelz matter.

#FeelzMatterz
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A few years back I passed by a black bear that was laying dead in the median along I-66. Looked to be a 250 pounder.

On my way back I made sure to check the place and lo & behold there were a bunch of Oriental folks working it up.

I figure they were just after the gall bladder and such as it was in the middle of summer.  
View Quote

Paws, too.  Bear paw tea is some sort of elixir to them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you drive by road kill and grab it?  thats like actually a thing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love seeing yuppies freak when we grab a roadkill deer.  Unfortunately, Chinese restaurants taking them is way too common around here too.  I don't think they consider above freezing temps either

In South Dakota you put your name on a list at the police station and they call you if you're next in line when someone hits one.  The person who hit it doesn't get it.

In Michigan, if you hit a deer you can keep it, you call the local police and DNR.

If you hit an elk or bear the meat goes to a local food bank.

I used to hit grouse all the time, they like to commit suicide with my vehicle, I stop and pick them up if I can. I like to eat grouse and pheasant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have eaten a road killed yearling deer. No big deal, a farm truck hit it on my road and it had a broken neck. It was tender and delicious.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
They closed a place a couple of years ago in KY. that was doing this . The inspector went in and they had a trash can full of deer legs .
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love seeing yuppies freak when we grab a roadkill deer.  Unfortunately, Chinese restaurants taking them is way too common around here too.  I don't think they consider above freezing temps either

I'd I see it get hit or it is still warm, yep.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I;m not seeing the problem here?

Except they're probably not selling it as venison right?  Just using it was beef I would assume?
View Quote

It's not from a USDA inspected source.   Same reason why our " feed the homeless with venison" program got nixed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In South Dakota you put your name on a list at the police station and they call you if you're next in line when someone hits one.  The person who hit it doesn't get it.

In Michigan, if you hit a deer you can keep it, you call the local police and DNR.

I used to hit grouse all the time, they like to commit suicide with my vehicle, I stop and pick them up if I can. I like to eat grouse and pheasant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitting it and reporting it and dealing with it i get it.. totally get it..

Randomly coming across a dead critter not exactly knowing how it got deaded or how long ago it got deaded is another matter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're experienced around deer you can tell how long it's been dead by how it looks.  Almost like judging the freshness of fish by how it appears.

If the eyes are still black, it hasn't been dead that long.   Even so, it's still good to have a deer set for a little while before you begin butchering the meat.

24 hours after death, the rigor mortise will have ran it's course the carcass will be good and loosened up again.  If anything, it makes the deer easier to manhandle when hanging it up for processing.

Probably the worst time to begin cutting flesh off a deer is 2-6 hours after death, when the thing is stiff as a board.  They say it makes the meat tough.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I see it die, and I gut it immediately, I'll take a chance.

Other than that, I like my OWN guts more than some ruptured critter!
View Quote

+1

Yeah, you don't pick up something that has been laying around who knows how long at who knows what temperature.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I've processed two road kill deer this year. Meat is meat.

Odd thing was that the deer hit at 20 mph had more damage than the deer hit at 45 mph.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Asian" grabbing a road kill deer and practical savy grabbing of a roadkill deer can be two totally different things. I have asian friends. Several have family restaurants and I have lived with several, so shared living space. TOTALLY DIFFERENT UNDERSTANDING OF 'SANITARY', 'CLEAN', 'HEALTHY'. I have walked through  kitchens and seem uncovered seafood, chicken, etc day after day. They knew it was against code they just didnt care. Two cousins work in china. They both tell me story after story of seeing restaurant workers getting cooking grease from street drains and trash cans. Asian culture has different ethics sorry.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#24]
General Tso deer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was driving through Williamsburg VA several years ago when three does jumped into the road, I avoided two...

This was a residential road, around 11:30 in the morning, unusual time for deer activity.

The deer was DRT, my fender was bent in over the tire.

While I was bending the sheet metal out, a serial killer looking panel van stops, the driver jumps out, throws a blanket out, rolls the carcass on it, loads it into the van, and is gone.

The precision tells me this was not his first road kill recovery.
View Quote

Sorry, man.  I should have asked if you were going to keep it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You can't collect roadkill in California, even if you have a hunting license, valid tag and its in season. The reason why? I'll quote my hunters edu, "A three-quarter ton truck is not a legal means of take."
View Quote

They have Salvage tags you can get from the local fish and game.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Coke tastes like pee too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Newbies take a lesson and fill your boots
Lets get the party started !!! 5 Pound Possum
https://youtu.be/qdI4kmvVqfc
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't scratch your balls in California either, and if you want to fuck your wife you have to do it out of state.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#30]
A friend of mine told me of a co-worker who hit a deer and only broke its leg or something. Well his co-worked pulled over to the shoulder and jumped out with a claw hammer (they did new construction) and by golly he tracked that deer down and finished it off and threw it in the back of his van.

Speaking of fillet and release, I went fishing with a buddy a few years back and I caught a nice striper well when we got back to the boat ramp my buddy fillets the fish and threw it back in the water. I was amazed when the fish swam away.

Thats all the CSBs I have for now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#31]
BAMBULANCE BABIES

https://youtu.be/Ty6JPyr2XZ0
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fistfights erupt here in Maine over roadkill.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yankees.  SMDH
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sometimes you get lucky, and the deer comes pre gutted.

http://youtu.be/IBBMNv6B8uk
View Quote

Thats gonna be a shitty ride home.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yankees.  SMDH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yankees.  SMDH

Have no clue what SMDH means, but you can hunt by truck 12 months up here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, if it is fresh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if it is fresh.

Back in my home town it was very common.  If you are on the side of the road surveying the damage to your vehicle you will have numerous people stop, ask if you need any help and then promptly ask, "Are you gonna keep that deer?"
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Back in my home town it was very common.  If you are on the side of the road surveying the damage to your vehicle you will have numerous people stop, ask if you need any help and then promptly ask, "Are you gonna keep that deer?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if it is fresh.

Very few deer get left on the side of the road here.

Yeah, It's "a thing"
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#38]
When I drove a towtruck working my way through college, I got a lot of meat. Most of the people that hit deer
didn't want them. I'd take care of the tow, clock out and take care of the deer. One less thing the responding officer
had to take care of.(Northwest Ohio in the winter so all was good)
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This has been all over my local news.  The claimed that it's not being served...and was gutted outside so there's no cross contamination.

I suspect that one of the delivery drivers thought to himself: "Free Deer.  I work at a restaurant and can dress this deer there"
View Quote

Sure, because they're all about sanitation and food safety
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldnt pick one up I saw laying there, but I have seen some get hit and cut the back straps off them. Only if they are fresh......
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Local Chinese restaurant was found with a coyote in their freezer a few years back.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2013/01/coyote-corpse-found-in-pocatello-restaurant-freezer/
View Quote

No way I wold eat a coyote. Their hydes smell so bad i can only imagine how bad they taste.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Didn't this happen last year or the year before at another Chinese restaurant? I think the owners said they collected the roadkill for personal consumption.
View Quote

There are a couple of Mexican restaurants around here that will take in freshly killed deer and process them for a portion of the meat. They dont sell it though. I dont think its legal to do on their processing machines, but it wont hurt anything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yankees.  SMDH

Shake my damn head
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#45]
[

Shake my damn head
View Quote

Why thank you!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#46]
So that's what they put in the Mongorian beef.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#47]
There must not be any stray cats or dogs in the neighborhood anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. That flies in the face of all that stuff I learned in school growing up about NOT picking up a food or a drink off the ground you find and drinking/eating it.

I aint touching eating anything outside unless I see how it got there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah!  
If it's fresh and not mangled, it's fine to eat and venison is awesome.  If it's mangled or not fresh, it's great bait.  Why let it go to waste?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hunters routinely leave deer hanging for days in temps above freezing on purpose, same with farm beef. I have never in my life heard of any person getting sick at all from eating deer or beef that had been sitting around in warm temps. I  think it would be too disgusting to eat if it was spoiled, and the worst that would happen would be puking.
View Quote

But those hanging deer have already been gutted.
Page / 3
Top Top