Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2016 7:06:11 PM EDT
Looked at  .308  Armalite & DPMS at a local gunshow today. On one table was a DPMS for $899 found an Armalite for $1050 on another table. I preferred the look of
the Armalite and am willing to pay more if its better.  Between these two brands, does anybody have an opinion which is preferable price aside?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
was the dams a G2 or LR308?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looked at  .308  Armalite & DPMS at a local gunshow today. On one table was a DPMS for $899 found an Armalite for $1050 on another table. I preferred the look of
the Armalite and am willing to pay more if its better.  Between these two brands, does anybody have an opinion which is preferable price aside?
View Quote

Back in the old days, you had to decide what mag pattern you wanted.  Now it's more confusing than just that.  :-/

What do you want to do with it?  .308 battle rifle or semi-auto precision?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Armalite was the answer a few years back, now that they have changed hands I will let someone else chime in with their .02

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both and I prefer the DPMS pattern due to more parts interchangeability. With DPMS, there's DPMS parts that fit and DPMS compatible parts that fit. With Armalite, there's limited selection of parts that'll fit and in some cases, other Armalite parts won't even fit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
was the dams a G2 or LR308?
View Quote

[s][/ I don't know the variances, it had a shell deflector and dust cover if that's the difference
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Back in the old days, you had to decide what mag pattern you wanted.  Now it's more confusing than just that.  :-/

What do you want to do with it?  .308 battle rifle or semi-auto precision?
View Quote

Just to have, punch paper maybe shoot a hog I'm about tier 20
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
They both take magpul mags right? Do they both handle 7.62x51 and .308 Winchester OK?  Obviously I'm way out of my league on .308 ARs
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm far from an expert but while doing my own build I decided on DPMS-pattern due to finding a lot more parts available for that style than Armalite's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd buy the DPMS G2, if they offered spare parts for it.  As long as they continue that policy, they can fuck off. If it was G1, I'd go with the DPMS over Armalite.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd buy the DPMS G2, if they offered spare parts for it.  As long as they continue that policy, they can fuck off. If it was G1, I'd go with the DPMS over Armalite.
View Quote

I googled around and I'm a little confused over the difference between G1 and G 2
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy an Armalite def10.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the entry level DPMS, I think its the LR.

Its one of the few in my collection that I consider a "cold dead hands" gun.

I free floated it with a quad rail, put on a Rogers Super Stock and one of those polished and plated triggers with a grip screw adjuster.

I don't see where it needs anything else, its a pretty fucking cool gun!

Edit: It shoots good too!

I haven't had it out past 200 yards though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
This is of interest to me.
I have a stripped .308 upper and lower from Palmetto that I have been wanting to turn into a precision shooter.
I haven't been able to find a chrome lined heavy 20-22 inch barrel so far.
Can anyone tell me, do I have to buy all my parts i.e. barrel, barrel nut, bolt, build kit from PSA?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have one of the entry level DPMS, I think its the LR.

Its one of the few in my collection that I consider a "cold dead hands" gun.

I free floated it with a quad rail, put on a Rogers Super Stock and one of those polished and plated triggers with a grip screw adjuster.

I don't see where it needs anything else, its a pretty fucking cool gun!

Edit: It shoots good too!

http://i44.tinypic.com/dbmxw6.jpg

I haven't had it out past 200 yards though.
View Quote

Would the entry level have the dust cover and shell deflector?  would it be around $900 retail at a gun show?  I wonder if that's what I was looking at.  Does yours take PMags?  no issues with .308 Win or 7.65x51?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a LR 308 AP4 G1 and an Armalite AR10T. Armalite seems built better and more accurate. Armalites come as: -  A models for magpuls and  - B models for expensive magazines.

No complaints about the DPMS AP4. It has been great too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a stripped .308 upper and lower from Palmetto that I have been wanting to turn into a precision shooter.
Can anyone tell me, do I have to buy all my parts i.e. barrel, barrel nut, bolt, build kit from PSA?
View Quote

I feel like I know at least a little more about 5.56 ARs than the average guy;  I know nothing about .308.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, not all.  I built one from a complete PSA lower and stripped upper.  Used Odin Works handguard and barrel nut, Rainer Arms Ultra-Match barrel.  For the lower you have to use their LPK except the trigger.  You can use most after market except the SSA-E.  I use the SSA with no problems.  Also using AIM NIB BCG without issue.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had 4 of the dpms 308s, none in the G2 lightweight versions.

All but one of my guns hated cheap ammunition, and would jam up hard with South African ball, and I have a metric fuckton of that.

Very accurate with good commercial ammo or my handloads.

An Armalite would eat all the ammo mine would not.  That's all I got.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a dpms that I bought a while ago.  It is the best $800 I have ever spent.  I think it is a LR, but I can't remember.  It has a factory free float tube and I put a trigger in it.  My favorite thing to do with it is set out clays at 200 yards any blast them.  It does not like NATO ammo, but federal match 168, and 168 and 180 handloads shoot great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know what model DPMS I looked at today, but the Armalite was the model DEF10 with magpul mags.  Opinions on this?  I have to say I liked the looks of it better than the DPMS I saw
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Would the entry level have the dust cover and shell deflector?  would it be around $900 retail at a gun show?  I wonder if that's what I was looking at.  Does yours take PMags?  no issues with .308 Win or 7.65x51?
View Quote

AFAIK, they all have the useless but required to be cool goodies on the side.

I paid just under $800 for mine, and I've seen them a little cheaper than that recently.

Yes, mine takes P-mags, and runs fine with them.

There are also metal mags available from DPMS and Brownells that both work well.

I have shot commercial .308 hunting loads and Lake City M-80 ball, and it hasn't choked up on me yet.

Its a 1 in 10 twist, so it likes heavier bullets.

The target I posted was shot with 175 gr Sierra match Kings and Winchester 760 powder with a Muzzle velocity of 2500 FPS.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]
This is mine.

Oracle
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They both take magpul mags right? Do they both handle 7.62x51 and .308 Winchester OK?  Obviously I'm way out of my league on .308 ARs
View Quote

No on the mags.  Best do some research in the tech forums rather than takings GDs comments as gospel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I would go Armalite.  When it comes to .308 ARs unless it is an SR-25 there are going to be things that aren't quite right as far as parts go but at least ArmaLite uses the correct REs and buffers.  

Not to mention DPMS has always been a budget brand.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
DPMS G2.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

G2 Spare Parts
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would go Armalite.  When it comes to .308 ARs unless it is an SR-25 there are going to be things that aren't quite right as far as parts go but at least ArmaLite uses the correct REs and buffers.  

Not to mention DPMS has always been a budget brand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No on the mags.  Best do some research in the tech forums rather than takings GDs comments as gospel.
View Quote

Yes on the mags if it is an A model, best not to give advice when you're out of date.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why would you want CL if it's for a precision build?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, you don't.
But the PSA units are the DPMS/LR-308 pattern, so you need to buy compatible parts  - not Armalite/AR-10 parts.

OP, generally the DPMS pattern and the Armalite pattern use different magazines, but because PMAG's are so popular Armalite did change some models to accept them.

The differences between the patterns is a little complicated;
- the receivers do not interchange
- the barrels can  interchange, but the barrel nut thread pattern is different so assembled barrels will not.

more info can be found in the Variants Forum

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#31]
ARMALITE has never been reversed engineered.

Any .308/762 16" barrel with a carbine gas system reeks of stupidity.

Then there is the "Flunking out of Yale or Making straight A's at Georgia Baptist"...

Flunking out of Yale has moar prestige.

ARMALITE.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#32]

ARMALITE DEFENDER 10

added an M.I. free float 15"
BCM furniture
JP trigger.

LOVE my DEF10  

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been in the 308 game since 1998 when Armalite or Knights was the only game in town.  Armalite was 1750- 2250 at the time and Knights was pretty much who you knew.  Cost wasn't even on the table.   Back then conversion mags cost $70 for the kit and not including the magazine.  All 6 of mine are Noveske N6 or Armalite " B " pattern weapons.  My stuff always worked at the local outlaw three gun.   All the DPMS  guys had issues back a few years ago.  Multiple different people had to send the guns back to get them to run.

Armalite has 2 versions "A "  series  which take the Magpul mags  or the  "B"  series mags the modified M-14 mags that in my case just run . My stuff is all "B" series.

If I was to do it now I would seriously consider a "A"  series Armalite AR10 over a DPMS for a budget 308 Gun platform.  Good luck . Nothing is ever as cheap for the 308 game versus the 556 game.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a LR 308 AP4 G1 and an Armalite AR10T. Armalite seems built better and more accurate. Armalites come as: -  A models for magpuls and  - B models for expensive magazines.

No complaints about the DPMS AP4. It has been great too.
View Quote

I had the opposite experience.  Ended up rebarreling the Armalite with a Noveske barrel and became a bench gun.  The DPMS AP4 Gen 1 is insanely accurate with a range of ammo.  I think I got an exceptional sample from both companies on each end of the spectrum.  Either will serve you well.  As for parts availability, I would make sure you can get the usual replacement parts before making a purchase. I have parts for both.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Wyndham for the win.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I built my own using Aero Precision upper and lower which is DPMS Gen 1 pattern. It cost me $930 to build, minus optic, but I took advantage of some black friday deals.

DPMS Gen 1 gives you the most options to make it your own.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ARMALITE has never been reversed engineered.

Any .308/762 16" barrel with a carbine gas system reeks of stupidity.

Then there is the "Flunking out of Yale or Making straight A's at Georgia Baptist"...

Flunking out of Yale has moar prestige.

ARMALITE.
View Quote

Umm, beg to differ.  The current Armalite is like SPringfield Armory--someone just bought the name.

They reverse engineered the early SR-25 but modified it to take M14 mags since the AWB was on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't know what model DPMS I looked at today, but the Armalite was the model DEF10 with magpul mags.  Opinions on this?  I have to say I liked the looks of it better than the DPMS I saw
View Quote

BUY IT!

I have one. You won't be disappointed. Mine shoots everything I've put through it and is quite accurate with surplus ammo. It does not like ZQ1, however, from an accuracy standpoint. It functions just fine shooting it, though.

I have nothing against the DPMS, but I'd buy the DEF 10 over an Oracle any day of the week.

ETA - The DEF 10 takes SR25 mags. Magpul mags will work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ARMALITE DEFENDER 10

BCM furniture
JP trigger.

LOVE my DEF10  
View Quote

Don't be posting that MI stuff up in here. I'm not planing on putting a rail on mine, but that looks DAMN sexy! You're going to make me reconsider.

Sweet rifle, man!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought an Armalite DEF10 and it is damn nice.  I haven't shot it yet though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm far from an expert but while doing my own build I decided on DPMS-pattern due to finding a lot more parts available for that style than Armalite's.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the DPMS Recon (G1) which is the LR308.  its a really fun gun to shoot, and Ive never had any issues with it.  its a heavy beast to carry in the woods though..

For target shooting im using Georgia Arms 150 gr bulk and for deer hunting with with a 165 Hornady..  165 gives good enough accuracy for deer hunting out to +100yds here in VA

As a DIY project - you can convert 20 rd PMAGS into ~5 round mags pretty easily.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ARMALITE DEFENDER 10

BCM furniture
JP trigger.

LOVE my DEF10  
View Quote

Oh My!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#44]
DPMS/SR-25 pattern hands down.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Thanks, I didn't know they had them available now.  It took a while, but still much faster than with their .22 parts. Do they have .22 parts available yet?  I've had one for a few years, and last time I checked (about a year ago) they didn't offer spare parts for it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#46]
ArmaLite
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Love my DPMS G2 and also my .260 LR-308 target rifle. No way I would buy Armalite. The G2 makes a killer platform for a thermal night hog killer:

No need for spare parts because most G2 parts are AR-15, anyway trig group is a GA SSA-E. I did get an extra bolt group from DPMS. Rail from MW Industries, Magpul stock and grip, ya no parts available for the G2 (dumbass). LOL
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Armalite
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#50]
I think the G2 dpms is really going to take off.  The original AR10/LR308 designs are way overbuilt, to dpms credit they figured out the minimum size and weight package for 308 sized rounds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top