Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an LR308 and it had the absolutely shittest trigger I have ever shot. I ended up paying for a guiessle trigger. I will probably never buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The DPMS LR308 pattern is still the most widely supported in the market. I've got a DPMS Hunter LR and a Palmetto. I like them both and one might be turned into a 6.5C one day.

However, if you are looking at a G2 and an armalite, I would go with an Armalite A model.. I'm not convinced on the G2 concept.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The DPMS LR308 pattern is still the most widely supported in the market. I've got a DPMS Hunter LR and a Palmetto. I like them both and one might be turned into a 6.5C one day.

However, if you are looking at a G2 and an armalite, I would go with an Armalite A model.. I'm not convinced on the G2 concept.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my dpms. Sadly only used it a few times since i brought two months ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll echo that statement above, I have yet to see a LR308 with any better than a GI trigger.  80$ for a RRA match trigger and they are sweet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned:

ArmaLite 24" AR10T
DPMS 24" LR-308
DPMS 24" LR-260
GA Precision Built 22" Fluted Obermeyer .308
GA Precision Built 22" Bartlein .260 Rem

The only ones that were good guns were the ArmaLite and GAP-built guns.

Both DPMS rifles needed work to be reliable, to include replacing the extractor on the .308, and reaming the chambers again.

I've also worked on:

SR25s
Mega MA-TENs
IRA .308 billet
others I don't recall now

Between the 2, ArmaLite has better engineering and Total Quality Management.  There are some great folks in DPMS who have done a lot to try to improve their design, but the sheer numbers they crank out mean the bell curve is pretty wide on the margins for QC.

The ArmaLite has one of the best engineered BCGs of all the AR10s and SR25s, in several areas that the layman will never see.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get the DEF10 for a little less than $1050 if you don't mind buying online.

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/651984014257
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can get the DEF10 for a little less than $1050 if you don't mind buying online.

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/651984014257
View Quote

Think I'm gonna order one in the next couple of days
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Mega MATEN with Mega .308 barrels.  Uses SR25 mags and DPMS bolt.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Umm, beg to differ.  The current Armalite is like SPringfield Armory--someone just bought the name.

They reverse engineered the early SR-25 but modified it to take M14 mags since the AWB was on.
View Quote

RFA.  That's wRongFuckingAnswer to most 308AR pukes and those in Rio Linda.

The ARMALITE STORY has been posted more than once by respected members
and you haven't even bought a ticket to the game.

Mark Westrom bought a hell of lot more than a name.

LRRPF52, knows more than most in the Industry and kindly gives out the truth/answers.  Me...

I think ARMALITE should get cash penalties for every puke that calls an AR in .308 an AR-10.

QCMGC is also kind and generous with the modern (1995-today) ARMALITE information during a School Circle.  Me...

Not so much when garbage or stupidity is spewed as belief or fact when @ 21 years of the truth has been out there.

Best to you.  I'm not mad at you.  Just in a foul mood from dealing with my 97 year old father.  He was the Chief Flight Engineer
at Alamogordo for B-29s during WWII.  I had to take care of him this weekend and when he talked to me as if I was twelve instead
of 59, well hell, I got pissed.  He does that when he misses his meds and gets dehydrated while stating that he doesn't need 24 hour care.

Again, best to you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with a G2 DPMS . So far no issues . Brand new I swapped the stock, grip and trigger with stuff I had here at the house all standard AR parts. I installed a Knights RAS as well . It took just a little file work to clear the DPMS barrel nut and locks up and aligns perfectly .  I have not worn out anything or broken it
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LRRPF52, knows more than most in the Industry and kindly gives out the truth/answers.  Me...

I think ARMALITE should get cash penalties for every puke that calls an AR in .308 an AR-10.

QCMGC is also kind and generous with the modern (1995-today) ARMALITE information during a School Circle.  Me...

Not so much when garbage or stupidity is spewed as belief or fact when @ 21 years of the truth has been out there.

Best to you.  I'm not mad at you.  Just in a foul mood from dealing with my 97 year old father.  He was the Chief Flight Engineer
at Alamogordo for B-29s during WWII.  I had to take care of him this weekend and when he talked to me as if I was twelve instead
of 59, well hell, I got pissed.  He does that when he misses his meds and gets dehydrated while stating that he doesn't need 24 hour care.

Again, best to you.
View Quote

I've decided on an Armalite thanks to this thread
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love my DPMS G2 and also my .260 LR-308 target rifle. No way I would buy Armalite. The G2 makes a killer platform for a thermal night hog killer:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff156/loftusj/DPMS%20G2/pigkit1_zpsqbcgg6n5.jpg

No need for spare parts because most G2 parts are AR-15, anyway trig group is a GA SSA-E. I did get an extra bolt group from DPMS. Rail from MW Industries, Magpul stock and grip, ya no parts available for the G2 (dumbass). LOL
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not a dumbass....they did not have any spare parts available for quite some time after it was released.  Go search the .308 forums, and you should find some threads with people complaining about it.  And like I said, their .22 was out for years, with no spare parts available.  It seems to be habitual for them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the G2 dpms is really going to take off.  The original AR10/LR308 designs are way overbuilt, to dpms credit they figured out the minimum size and weight package for 308 sized rounds.
View Quote

I think so too.  I'm not sure that the dual ejectors were necessary, though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#15]

another DEF-10 from Armalite, uses SR25 pattern mags (larue, dpms, magpul)
Derek gave me moral support at a critical time during the tear down and rebuild..
and it is of course my avatar
I have another AR-10A as well that's been discontinued, the AR10A4CBFX

Armalite, man, they've been doing it longer than anyone else.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Again, best to you.
View Quote

The current Armalite is still not the one that developed the AR-15 and AR-10.

I hate when people use that moniker incorrectly as well.  If forced to choose between Armalite and DPMS I would take Armalite every time.

My first .308 was an Armalite AR-10A4.  

When the B series rifle came out in the mid 90s did they have more in common with the actual AR-10 or the SR-25?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I hate when people use that moniker incorrectly as well.  If forced to choose between Armalite and DPMS I would take Armalite every time.

When the B series rifle came out in the mid 90s did they have more in common with the actual AR-10 or the SR-25?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, best to you.

Is Jeep, Jeep?

Yes, Mark bought the COMPANY including the Trademarks and Intellectual property. He was always up front about it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
And FYI, ref mags...

Pmags are obviously pretty reliable. I've had good luck also with ASC mags which run about $15 and can be had in 20, 10 and 5 rd... I bought a couple of 5 rounders for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered the Armalite DEF10.  Thanks for all the input.  Do they have a chrome barrel?  I'm confused on that not that it matters a lot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just ordered the Armalite DEF10.  Thanks for all the input.  Do they have a chrome barrel?  I'm confused on that not that it matters a lot.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went with a G2 DPMS . So far no issues . Brand new I swapped the stock, grip and trigger with stuff I had here at the house all standard AR parts. I installed a Knights RAS as well . It took just a little file work to clear the DPMS barrel nut and locks up and aligns perfectly .  I have not worn out anything or broken it
View Quote

pics?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good choice.  They are currently chrome lined.  There was some confusion when that model was announced about melon it vs CL but it's settled now.

I wish they still had a basic 20".  I was looking at the current 20" offering last night and would love to get it a few $$$ cheaper without the stock, rail, and muzzle device.  A2 stock, handguardd, and flash hider like the old AR10A4 "b" rifle and I'd be all over it.  I had one of those and the barrel was a shooter.  Chrome lined, not too heavy or light, accurate.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

My Armalite def10
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]

that looks wonderful.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top