Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 4:18:57 PM EDT
My daughter (7) is getting constipated alot lately. Her diet has not changed, and she is usually pretty regular. I'm not sure why this is, and am wondering how to stop it. It is easily taken care of with a little prune juice, but I am looking for prevention. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Make her drink more water.  Doctor visit?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Is she drinking more milk or eating more rice? My daughter has "issues" in that department so I have to monitor how much rice she eats and how many milk products. Otherwise prune juice it is - though she really isn't fond of it and it is getting more difficult to get her to drink it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohhh, you don't know what I have gone through this past year...my daughter is also 7 (2nd grade) and had the same issue. However, it turned out to NOT be anything linked to diet!

It turned out to be that she was "self regulating" to prevent having to go #2 on the auto-flush potty at school for fear that she would be sucked down while in mid-poo. In stopping the inevitable from happening, she caused her system to constipate itself from holding in so much poo.

I implemented a smiley face system in which she earns a smiley face for each successful poo and she now has no poo issues at all.

Prune or pear juice may help some if it's truly diet related. Drinking enough water can't hurt either. Sometimes dairy can constipate and unfortunately kids get a huge amount of this.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My daughter (7) is getting constipated alot lately. Her diet has not changed, and she is usually pretty regular. I'm not sure why this is, and am wondering how to stop it. It is easily taken care of with a little prune juice, but I am looking for prevention. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

hr

Bran cereal, muffins, etc.  Fruit and veggies too...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It turned out to be that she was "self regulating" to prevent having to go #2 on the auto-flush potty at school for fear that she would be sucked down while in mid-poo.

I implemented a smiley face system in which she earns a smiley face for each successful poo and she now has no poo issues at all.

I'll have to tell my GF to do this for me.  

Quoted:
Prune...juice may help some if it's truly diet related. Drinking enough water can't hurt either. Sometimes dairy can constipate and unfortunately kids get a huge amount of this.

My sister actually mixes a small amount of prune juice into her daughter's milk.  My niece is 3 and has been drinking this concoction since she's been drinking cow's milk so getting a 7 year old to start might not be easy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ohhh, you don't know what I have gone through this past year...my daughter is also 7 (2nd grade) and had the same issue. However, it turned out to NOT be anything linked to diet!

It turned out to be that she was "self regulating" to prevent having to go #2 on the auto-flush potty at school for fear that she would be sucked down while in mid-poo. In stopping the inevitable from happening, she caused her system to constipate itself from holding in so much poo.

Prune or pear juice may help some if it's truly diet related. Drinking enough water can't hurt either. Sometimes dairy can constipate and unfortunately kids get a huge amount of this.

Good luck!

I have the exact same fear.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I fear elevators who's doors close automatically.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I fear the Best Buy puppet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I fear dolls that "talk" or "walk". And I may as well throw "pee" and "poo" in there too since this is a poo thread.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I fear dolls that "talk" or "walk". And I may as well throw "pee" and "poo" in there too since this is a poo thread.

That reminds me.  The dolls that open their eyes when they are held up right and close them when they lay down, freak me out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Pardon me ladies, wrong forum!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It turned out to be that she was "self regulating" to prevent having to go #2 on the auto-flush potty at school for fear that she would be sucked down while in mid-poo.

Mrs B was similarly afraid of the air-assist toliet in our hotel during our honeymoon.  (Polynesian Resort, WDW, 1997.)   She all but begged me to complete the operation.

Ya see, I'm not afraid of toilets.  I used to work in the wastewater (sewage) industry.

This one time in Myrtle Beach....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow.

No too-much-information posts in the ladies forum today, that's for sure......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Eating fruits that start w/ a P help you poo.  Pear, Peach, Prune.   Apple juice is good for the works too.  Not as strong as prune juice, so it's easier to get them to drink it every day.

Forget the B - binding - bananas

It sounds goofy, but it is true.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

That reminds me.  The dolls that open their eyes when they are held up right and close them when they lay down, freak me out.

I used to wonder if escalators would suck you through at the end.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I used to wonder if escalators would suck you through at the end.

MallRats
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wedge, you would NOT have liked the dolls I bought for my niece last Christmas.  Two dolls (boy & girl, supposed to be twins) in a set with a double-stroller (side-by-side), just like she specifically asked good ol' Uncle HardShell for.  Except they talk.  Their heads swivel, their eyes & mouths open & close, and they TALK.  Not gibberish - responses to how you move or hold or place them.  And not just responses - sometimes they tell you what to do to/for them.  If you place them in each others seats in the stroller, they'll tell you they are in the wrong seat and ask to be moved.  And if you leave them alone long enough, they'll turn toward each other & start talking to each other.  And singing together.   Sometimes an hour or more after they were last handled.  I'm telling you - the creepiest thing this side of Chucky...

My sister-in-law says they haven't had batteries in them since mid-January.  

SORRY for straying from the poo topic - but these things could scare the poo out of someone late at night, if that counts...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wedge, you would NOT have liked the dolls I bought for my niece last Christmas.  Two dolls (boy & girl, supposed to be twins) in a set with a double-stroller (side-by-side), just like she specifically asked good ol' Uncle HardShell for.  Except they talk.  Their heads swivel, their eyes & mouths open & close, and they TALK.  Not gibberish - responses to how you move or hold or place them.  And not just responses - sometimes they tell you what to do to/for them.  If you place them in each others seats in the stroller, they'll tell you they are in the wrong seat and ask to be moved.  And if you leave them alone long enough, they'll turn toward each other & start talking to each other.  And singing together.   Sometimes an hour or more after they were last handled.  I'm telling you - the creepiest thing this side of Chucky...

OMG!  Do they still come to life in the middle of the night and kill you if you take the batteries out?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
[It turned out to be that she was "self regulating" to prevent having to go #2 on the auto-flush potty at school for fear that she would be sucked down while in mid-poo.

Our DD had a similar experience at around 3years old trying to pee out along the highway  -- you know the line..... "I have to go!" -- seems this snake went slithering through a cow skull right near where we pulled over.  -- Needless to say, she dried right up and will only use the flush kind to this day......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG!  Do they still come to life in the middle of the night and kill you if you take the batteries out?  

My mother makes it a point to buy this type of doll for my daughter as she KNOWS they freak me out...Aubrey has two that "talk and say ABC's and sing together". Needless to say I keep those things separated as they have started to converse while packed in boxes...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Needless to say I keep those things separated as they have started to converse while packed in boxes...

Is this supposed to make us feel better?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't think I'd ever be able to post this one again...

Wedgette Jr. will no doubt have one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/brisk322/myprettyatat.jpg

Yikes.  I'd rather take my chances with an unaltered one.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/brisk322/myprettyatat.jpg

Wedgette Jr. will no doubt have one.

My little AT-AT.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks everyone. She eats lots of veggies and drinks a lot of water, but I think the issue was dairy products. We live in Wisconsin after all. She has slowed down on the cheese and yogurt a little, and it seems to be better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top