Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 11:18:26 AM EST
Anybody using the Delphi XM radio? What do you think of it? IS it worth $10 a month?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:28:16 AM EST
Not sure but my Wife's getting me one for Christmas.

Atlanta has the worst radio stations of any major city (any other Atlantians care to chime in?), so it should be a bargain for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:31:08 AM EST
I want one bad tho....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:34:09 AM EST
I swore that I'd never pay for radio service when I first heard of satellite radio...

But then I got it a couple of months ago. I really enjoy it. HUGE range of music stations, plus news, talk, comedy. I like it a lot.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a unit that also has an optional docking station so that you can use it on your home entertainment center as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:34:29 AM EST
I will NEVER go back to regular radio again. Always something to listen to, CD quality, plenty of variety. In a word...it rocks![
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:41:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 11:48:53 AM EST by ArmedAggie]
I have the Delphi SkyFi that I can use in the house, truck and office. It was a bit of an expense to get all the cradles for it (two home kits and a car kit) but I could do without my satellite TV way before I'd give up my XM. It runs all say at the office (wired through the sound card so the keyboard mute and volume buttons still work) and whenever I'm in the truck.

Be aware, though, that the SkyFi2 is supposed to come out at the end of this month, or in Novemeber. It looks like it is a pretty big improvement over the current (red screen) version. I'd wait and pick that one up. Supposedly uses the same cradles but has a built in modulator for use in a car.

check these folks out for info:

XM Satellite Radio
XM Fan
XM411
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:41:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By so2315:
Anybody using the Delphi XM radio? What do you think of it? IS it worth $10 a month?

Yes, and then some........
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:48:53 AM EST
My personal opinion I tried It I don’t Like it. maybe its good for some one travels the country allot.

XM
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:50:42 AM EST
Had it and loved it. Just keep switching cars to much to do it now. But I think it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:08:31 PM EST
I can't see my self going back to regular radio again either. If you drive 10 minutes a day it probably isn't worth getting but if your in your vehicle a lot it's great.

I like to listen to the old radio plays to pass the time. It's a lot safer than trying to watch TV and drive. BTW the music is commercial free.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:10:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:12:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Wave:
Have SIRIUS, haven't listened to NY FM since...

+1 for Sirius
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:49:29 PM EST
The wife and I can't live without our XM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bu­t I would not get the Delphi unit. Try the Roady 2 reciever. Sets up in five minutes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:04:13 PM EST
Go with Sirius. You'll get Gun Talk, NRA News and more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:12:54 PM EST
I've been seriously considering it.

Who has the better talk lineup?

If it a yearly contract or can you pay by the month? I am getting deployed in january no point in getting a contract for a year now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:13:54 PM EST
I've got XM and I love it. I listen to 166 (America Right) and 121 (Fox News) mostly.
I wish that you could choose from different packages because I don't listen to 70% of the stuff I get but so is life.

I wish Limbaugh would get with the program and allow his broadcast to run on XM.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:14:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rob877:
My personal opinion I tried It I don’t Like it. maybe its good for some one travels the country allot.

XM

What didn't you like about it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:18:36 PM EST
Just a warning that if you are a fan of 80's music Heidi Celexa (appropriately also the name of an antidepressant) will drive you insane!!

I have XM but hardly ever listen to it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:26:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By Breycor:

Atlanta has the worst radio stations of any major city (any other Atlantians care to chime in?), so it should be a bargain for me.

Never been to Hot-lanta, but all of the D.C. area stations SUCK ASS !
Even the "Rock" stations play 5 minutes of commercials for every 2 songs. I can't fuckin' stand it anymore! I'm thinking satellite radio too, just which one.
XM or Sirus?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:29:06 PM EST
I just bought it/had it installed the other day. I got the Roady 2.... I really wihsh the home boombvox thing was out for it already.

I basically bought it for one reason:

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

But Its pretty cool otherwise... much better than the radio, I never listen to the raido because they play the same shit over and over and over again. I mostly have listened to 66 RAW (rap, but not the pussy shit they play on the regular radio) and 65 "the rhyme" (old school hip hop) and the comedy channels.

for some reason it reminds me of the radio in Grand Theft Auto....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:29:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By cookie:

as cool as that may be,

Opie and Anthony > that.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:33:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By JeffersonDarcy:
I just bought it/had it installed the other day. I got the Roady 2.... I really wihsh the home boombvox thing was out for it already.

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

But Its pretty cool otherwise... much better than the radio, I never listen to the raido because they play the same shit over and over and over again. I mostly have listened to 66 RAW (rap, but not the pussy shit they play on the regular radio) and 65 "the rhyme" (old school hip hop) and the comedy channels.

YUP
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:44:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
I swore that I'd never pay for radio service when I first heard of satellite radio...

But then I got it a couple of months ago. I really enjoy it. HUGE range of music stations, plus news, talk, comedy. I like it a lot.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a unit that also has an optional docking station so that you can use it on your home entertainment center as well.

+1 portability! Also consider a large memory MP3 player and an FM modulator. That is probably the way I will go, since extensive travel is on my agenda.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:58:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 4:06:11 PM EST by Adam_White]
I have it at home and in my car. I found myself too many times sitting in my car to listen to the radio - so now I have two subscriptions!

I have XM, but Sirius may have better talk - I tried to compare the talk radio shows on an older thread and never got a real response. For some reason, people always want to turn any discussion into a XM vs. Sirius thing.

My most often listened to stations: Channel 10- America (country - all the good stuff from at least 10 years ago, plus newer artists that sing old school music), channel 20 - 20 on 20 (top 20 requests - keeps me current), Channel 41 - Boneyard (Hairbands), Channel 65 - The Rhyme (aforementioned old school rap).

As you can see, mainstream FM radio does not suit my tastes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:54:49 PM EST

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

OnA is going to be back on the air !!!!!!!

when is their show going to be in times wize
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:58:03 PM EST
XM has Laura Ingrham, Michael Medved, and Dave Ramsey. Perfect for me.

Neither have Rush, and probably never will, according to him.

So I am set.

When I want music, I have commercial free music.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:58:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By choad33:

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

the show starts oct 3rd. They have their own station on XM that only plays their show. The initial broadcast is in the morning, probably 6am to 10am or something, and then it will be replayed all day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:01:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

+1 for Sirius

+ 1 XM ant to top it off now O & A will be back + Ch 41

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

6-10 AM Ch 202 Im hoping they loop the shows all day
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:01:51 PM EST
I am considering getting one of these. Anyone know any deals/scams/promotion codes?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:03:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bogie:

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

+1 for Sirius

+ 1 XM ant to top it off now O & A will be back + Ch 41

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

6-10 AM Ch 202 Im hoping they loop the shows all day

they will be looping the shows all day.

its $1.99 a month extra... ch 202 is ONLY opie and anthony.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:04:54 PM EST
too bad we cant install it in the RMP's......

I think I'm gonna get the boombox for the roady 2 and bring it on patrol with me
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:05:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
I am considering getting one of these. Anyone know any deals/scams/promotion codes?

The service fee is pretty-well set. Unless you want to pay for 6 or 12 months at a time.

The prices for the recievers are pretty well set also. Stay away from the Delphi SkyFi reciever. The new version will be out in a few months.

I would go with a Roady 2
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:49 PM EST
I got my roady 2 for $100
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:09:35 PM EST
I sell both XM and Sirius, I have Sirius in my car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:13:34 PM EST

I think I'm gonna get the boombox for the roady 2 and bring it on patrol with me

The Roady 2 has a built in FM modulator with a cig plug and the antenna on the dash it works just fine in the Ambulance
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:15:32 PM EST
Unfortunatley, the arfcom motto of "get both" does not apply here . I keep hoping one buys the other out and the programming is merged.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:15:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 4:17:05 PM EST by JeffersonDarcy]

The Roady 2 has a built in FM modulator with a cig plug and the antenna on the dash it works just fine in the Ambulance

hnmmmm interesting.... I will have to get another antenna tho, mine is mpounted on the roof of the car.

and I have the hardwired FM modulator too... they said the wireless one is crap.

Still, if I can use it in the RMP and listen to O and A................
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:18:21 PM EST
Sirius is the best!

Will have steaming Video.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:21:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By mjrowley:
Sirius is the best!

but it wont have opie and anthony.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:22:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By cookie:

Big Plus for me! They replay it in the Morning day after so I can listen to it then. Good Stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:27:57 PM EST

hnmmmm interesting.... I will have to get another antenna tho, mine is mpounted on the roof of the car.

and I have the hardwired FM modulator too... they said the wireless one is crap.

I use the Belkin 3-In-1 Vent Mount to keep it right next to the radio head unit not a problem with recpetion so far
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:30:02 PM EST

I use the Belkin 3-In-1 Vent Mount to keep it right next to the radio head unit not a problem with recpetion so far

with the vent mount I will be able to take the mount with me?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:32:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By mjrowley:
Sirius is the best!

but it wont have opie and anthony.

Never heard there show so no big deal for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:39:52 PM EST

with the vent mount I will be able to take the mount with me?

Yep it just clips on the the vent fins
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:09:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:29:06 PM EST
Does anyone know if this can receive signals while in a plane? I've thought about getting a CD player for the Cherokee, but this XM thing might be cool. Does it have an output that is suitable for connecting to the audio panel?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:19:44 PM EST

OPIE AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!

I thought someone said they had to pay extra for O+P or something.... Is that true? Both XM and Sirius have stuff the other doesn't that I want so I may have to GET BOTH!

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:25:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
pete you need an antennae and a power source, no portable units yet

Will I need an antenna on the fuselage, or will it work inside the plane. My GPS works fine without an external antenna. Just wondering if that aluminum cage will pose a problem. Hopefully I can tie it into my audio panel as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:28:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
Does anyone know if this can receive signals while in a plane? I've thought about getting a CD player for the Cherokee, but this XM thing might be cool. Does it have an output that is suitable for connecting to the audio panel?

Make sure that the system you install is FAA approved.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:59:31 PM EST
That's why I'm shooting for an installation that is considered "non-permanent". I don't want to get into a field approval and 337. Ideally it would be installed just like a handheld GPS, but with an aux line to the audio panel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top