Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2009 10:08:08 AM EDT
In a previous thread I was talking about getting a second dog.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=966337

I did some searching around and found a near by Lab rescue.  Went down last Saturday and found what I thought to be a nice 2 to 3 year male Lab that would make a good companion for myself and my current dog.  They called my Vet to make sure my current dog was up on it's shoots, and all that.  Today was I was supposed to have a home inspection and do the official adoption after that.  

I get a call about 10:00 (the inspection was at 2:00) saying that the dog I was going to adopt has kennel cough, but it's up on all it's shoots and they gave it an antibiotic.  Not really knowing much about kennel cough, I told them I wanted to think about it for a bit.  So I called some friends and did some research online.  I'm a little uneasy because I found out that it is highly contagious, so I don't want to expose my dog to what ever this dog has caught.  My dog is current on all her vaccinations, so they told me there wouldn't be a problem with her catching it.  Well the dog I was supposed to adopt was also supposed to be vaccinated but yet some how he came down with it.  Which makes me think that this could be signs of a more serious problem.

I was getting excited about adding another friend to the family, but my gut feeling is not good on this one.

I ended up calling back and telling them I wanted to wait because I was concerned about exposing my dog to something contagious.

Would you adopt this dog, or move along?  I know there will be plenty more dogs to choose from.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
no

eta: there will be others

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I did some searching around and found a near by Lab rescue.  Went down last Saturday and found what I thought to be a nice 2 to 3 year male Lab that would make a good companion for myself and my current dog.  They called my Vet to make sure my current dog was up on it's shoots, and all that.  Today was I was supposed to have a home inspection and do the official adoption after that.  

I get a call about 10:00 (the inspection was at 2:00) saying that the dog I was going to adopt has kennel cough, but it's up on all it's shoots and they gave it an antibiotic.  Not really knowing much about kennel cough, I told them I wanted to think about it for a bit.  So I called some friends and did some research online.  I'm a little uneasy because I found out that it is highly contagious, so I don't want to expose my dog to what ever this dog has caught.  My dog is current on all her vaccinations, so they told me there wouldn't be a problem with her catching it.  Well the dog I was supposed to adopt was also supposed to be vaccinated but yet some how he came down with it.  Which makes me think that this could be signs of a more serious problem.

I was getting excited about adding another friend to the family, but my gut feeling is not good on this one.

I ended up calling back and telling them I wanted to wait because I was concerned about exposing my dog to something contagious.

Would you adopt this dog, or move along?  I know there will be plenty more dogs to choose from.

This isnt a reason to not get the dog. My first cat had kennel cough when I got him and hes fine now. It takes about 2 weeks on meds to go away then they are fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

kennel cough is easily curable....
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, kennel cough isn't that big of deal.  Go get your new buddy!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Kennel cough will clear up eventually, but there is no good reason to knowingly expose your current dog to it.

I would either wait to adopt until the cough clears up, or if your household layout allows it bring the dog home but keep the dogs well isolated.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep it's really no big deal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I adopted a dog with kennel cough.  She got spayed/shots/etc before I took her home and they put her on medicine for it.  Cleared up quickly, and my other dog never got it.

Get it!
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a problem and easy fix. Kennel Cough is common amongst dogs in close confinement hence the name. A few of my dogs have gotten that and were always easily cured. Congrats on you for giving a dog a home. Yer Karma just went up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't have a problem with it, easily cured.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kennel cough will clear up eventually, but there is no good reason to knowingly expose your current dog to it.

I would either wait to adopt until the cough clears up, or if your household layout allows it bring the dog home but keep the dogs well isolated.

I tend to agree with this.  I'm not opposed to adopting the dog, I'd just want a clean bill of health from the a vet.  

I really don't have a good way of isolating the dog, and with the holidays coming up it's even harder.  Typically I take my dog with me to my parents house, and my family will be there with their dogs too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Ours did and she was also full of worms. 7 years later she is fine other than having three legs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't kennel cough the animal equivalent of barracks crud? You throw together a bunch of animals (or people), and they all exchange their individual strains of colds and flus, and then it clears up in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]
A month after we adopted my dog, back in 89, my dad and I had to go back to the pound to straighten out some minor paperwork issues, and we ended up adopting another.  Found out, over the next few days after we got her, that she was in heat, and had kennel cough.  My dog, although snipped, was delighted in the former, and never caught the latter, so all was well.  She got over the kennel cough, and he never had a problem.  YMMV, but I wouldn't really be terribly concerned as long as the other dog is in good health.  Maybe if it was elderly or sickly, I'd be worried, but otherwise...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Get your current dog vaccinated for kennel cough then...it's a requirement at many "doggie hotels" before you drop them off there for vacation and what not.  

Win win.  Guarantee your current dog won't get it and  you rescue a dog needing a home.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I took in a dog that had heartworm and he was cured and has been the best dog I ever had .
So YES
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#16]
WOW..........I've owned dogs before but, never heard of "Kennel Cough" until today.

Anyway, this thread has me smiling because............

A couple of months back I was at the local shelter w/ a neighbor who was adopting a dog.   Damm it but, I started coughing and couldn't stop.

That is..........until I got out of there.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Get your current dog vaccinated for kennel cough then...it's a requirement at many "doggie hotels" before you drop them off there for vacation and what not.  

Win win.  Guarantee your current dog won't get it and  you rescue a dog needing a home.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it though.

Or this works too.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#18]
my dog has kennel cough right now.  7 days of antibiotics and she will be g2g.  Don't be afraid of it - medicine has come a long way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Kennel cough is no big deal.  

The K.C. vaccine is not part of regular vaccinations, though.  You have to ask for it.  (My experience, anyway....)
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you sure it's kennel cough? I adopted a GSD a few years back and it got what the vets thought was kennel cough, turned out to be distemper and the puppy was so bad off he had to be put to sleep.. Thousands of dollors in medical bills, good thing I got the animal health insurance early..
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Make sure your dog is vaccinated for Kennel Cough, then adopt the other dog after it has been on the antibiotics for a couple days. I would not bring the bew dog home unless your dog has been vaccinated yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I did.  Kennel cough is like a common cold; nothing to get all worked up over.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup

Common in kenneled unvaccinated pets.
Once he has the vaccine and ABX he should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty much all dogs who go into a shelter - who have not been vaccinated - will get/have kennel cough.  Just a fact of life.  But it's not a big deal, it's no worse than a cold for people.

You give the dog antibiotics for a week or so, and they're done.  If your current dog is vaccinated, he/she probably won't even catch it.  Even if it does, you give the antibiotics, it's fine.

It's really not a big deal at all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I miss the dog....
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Update:

Both my dog and the one I am adopting where vaccinated for it (Bordetella, Distemper/Parvo).

I just got off the phone with them.  They have him on antibiotics and are going to hold onto him for a few more days until things clear up.  I just didn't want to take him right now since I'll be traveling with them for Christmas and I don't want to possibly infect one of my family members pets.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top