Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/10/2002 1:11:05 AM EDT
I saw "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmie Stewart recently.

Best sleep inducer ever.

Your votes???
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Platoon.

Heroes Stand Alone.

Firebirds.

Edited to say those are worst for being purely stupid.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Enemy at the Gates.
The main character picks up a standard issue infantry rifle(not sure what exactly) out of the mud, and starts making MOA head-shots with the iron sights and he shoots "during the explosions" so that the soldiers who are standing around talking to each other won't understand wtf is happening.[rolleyes]  I can recommend a good comedy though...

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I definitely agree on the Thin Red Line.  What a friggin piece of garbage that movie was.  Pearl Harbor didn't leave much of an impression either.

Then of course there is the best war movie of all time, actually the best movie period of all time.  Saving Private Ryan.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
G.I Jane

Private Benjamin
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The Thin Red Line - NO QUESTION.

Geez, it STILL makes me wince to think about it.

I got up and walked out.

Beyond that (but still as a distant second, as TRL sucked more exquisitely than any movie ever made) is .....

...anything of British origin.

ALL British war movies have the protagonist dying right at the end of the movie (or so it seems anyway) You go thru the ENTIRE movie, ONLY to see him get whacked at the end.

What a waste.

That's because British war movies are political statements - saying war is NEVER justified.

Granted, war is NOT glorious, but the actions / heroism of those who fight wars can be, and often is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Iron Eagle.

When I saw it in the theaters, at the point where the son suddenly had to fight off a whole herd of MiGs, someone in the back of the theater stood up and yelled, "Go get 'em, son!"  The entire audience was laughing their asses off.

I can only imagine that Iron Eagles II and III were even worse.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The Thin Red Line
Firebirds
The Siege of Firebase Gloria
Iron Eagles II through whatever
Full Fathom Five
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Sniper

Starring: Tom Beringer and Billy Zane

Worst representation of Snipers I've ever seen!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
"A Bridge Too Far", a.k.a. "A Star Too Many"

"Apocalypse Now", a.k.a "Will this POS ever end?"

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
"Thin Red Line",  needed a bongo player worse than any beatnik movie ever.

"Sniper" them two idiots brought 12 bullets, hell I dropped more ammo than they carry. What a stink bucket.

"Firebirds" a goofy ho with big assed ears flys a chopper. He boyfriend can't see straight without her panties on his head.  They fight the Swedish air force in south America.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
The thin red line, worst three hours I spent in Korea.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-----------War Related-----------

Pearl Harbor

View Quote

LOL!!!!

That's too funny!!!!

Somehow......amazingly....they managed to make a movie called "Pearl Harbor" and FORGOT to tell about the war!!!!!

Definitely ONLY a "war- related" movie!!!

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I know I'm going to draw heat for this remark, but I can forgive Thin Red Line and Apocalypse Now on the merits that the filmakers AT LEASED USED THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT!

Platoon Leader - note to director, read a vietnam book and at least look at the pictures to get an idea for what equipment the troops actually used, ditto for "Platoon" and "The Deer Hunter".

Saving Private Ryan - aside from one or two editing glitches this movie managed to have all the right equipment, terminology, slang, costumes, and feel because the big S and his crew  spent time DOING RESEARCH before starting the camera.

Bad War Movie = Hollywood types more concerned with "telling a story" than accuracy.

BTW: WTF happened to the Nicholas Cage war movie "Windtalkers"? Methinks Craptain Crapelli's Crapolin put the kibosh on that film's release.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Iron Eagle.

When I saw it in the theaters, at the point where the son suddenly had to fight off a whole herd of MiGs, someone in the back of the theater stood up and yelled, "Go get 'em, son!"  The entire audience was laughing their asses off.

I can only imagine that Iron Eagles II and III were even worse.
View Quote

I think they made 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#17]
G.I. Jane,
Well, If she would of made a beach landing with a field kitchen and whipped all the men up some scrambled eggs and bacon, while topless......then it would've been a good movie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Apocalypse Now (except for the parts with Robert Duvall)
View Quote

Dialog like...." Charley don't surf" & " I love the smell of napalm in the morning" to the sound of Flight of the Valkyrie in the background.

Great stuff

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BTW: WTF happened to the Nicholas Cage war movie "Windtalkers"? Methinks Craptain Crapelli's Crapolin put the kibosh on that film's release.
View Quote

Nope.  It opens June 14.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#20]
All the Iron Eagle movies.

Star Ship Troopers

Ghandi, not enough belt fed machineguns.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Too good movies got slammed unnecessarily.
Time for a little historical check here:

[b]"Strategic Air Command"[/b]

If you are viewing this film through 21st century eyes, you are watching it for all the wrong reasons. It can be interesting when taken in context. And that is as a Air Force cold war propaganda flick.

This film an aviation buff's delight with the aerial sequences of the massive, six-engined B-36, and the sleek, then-new B-47. The Air Force obviously provided enormous technical support, including then Air Force Reserve Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart as the lead character.

[b]"A Bridge Too Far"[/b]

The producer and director of this film focused so much on accurately portraying Operation Market Garden. My point is that, [b]as confirmed by the excellent History Channel's "History vs. Hollywood" review of this movie,[/b] [i]the legendary producer Joseph E. Levine spared no expense to create this movie as an accurate depiction of historic events.[/i] When combined with superb script, cast and director, "A Bridge Too Far" achieves what other great WW II epic movies do not - adherence to real people, action and factual honesty. It ranks right up there with (and perhaps past) "Patton". It should have been nominated for and won several Oscars.

Sadly, others do not recognize that excellence in historical films lies more in their truth than in their special effects.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#22]
M*A*S*H

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

All of them are left wing commie trash.  Lesson in all three of the movies; America is bad, military is bad, fighting the commies is bad, you get the picture.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Flash66:

I didn't get that from Platoon or Full Metal Jacket. Sure, the sense that they were fighting a war that they were not allowed to win because of politics was there, but I didn't get the anti-American commie vibe off them that you did.

Oliver Stone and Dale Dye, who both wrote and appeared in Platoon, served in combat there. While Stone may be (probably is) a liberal, I doubt the same could be said for Captain Dye.

Full Metal Jacket was based on a novel by Gustav Hasford, a Marine Vietnam vet. The movie actually left out a lot of very negative things from the book. The boot camp part was, with the exception of Pyle shooting Gunny Hartman, no more brutal than boot camp really was in 1967.

M*A*S*H was a left wing, anti-Vietnam war movie couched in a Korean war comedy. Funny if you watch it like a cartoon, but otherwise tripe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I loved A Bridge Too Far.

I would have to go with G.I.Jane as the worst, by far.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All the Iron Eagle movies.

Star Ship Troopers

Ghandi, not enough belt fed machineguns.

View Quote

I loved StarShip Troopers.  Laughed almost continuously thru the movie.

DrMark
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I got up and walked out.
View Quote

I recorded and editted this one. I got the movie down to like 40 mins. Would have made a good after school movie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Flash66:

I didn't get that from Platoon or Full Metal Jacket. Sure, the sense that they were fighting a war that they were not allowed to win because of politics was there, but I didn't get the anti-American commie vibe off them that you did.

Oliver Stone and Dale Dye, who both wrote and appeared in Platoon, served in combat there. While Stone may be (probably is) a liberal, I doubt the same could be said for Captain Dye.
View Quote

Stone is a leftist kook. Platoon had some good parts, but on whole it was a crappy piece of propaganda.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Apocolypse Now??  Its one of the better war movies, and probably the best of the Vietnam movies (haven't seen the Mel flick yet).  Matter of fact, the only Vietnam movie better than Apocolypse Now is Apocolypse Now (Redux).  Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are great, too.

As far as the worst are concerned...

Pearl Horror
-Alec Baldwin????
Thin Red Plot  
-the amazing, never ending movie...
Enema at the Gates
-delayed trip-wire explosions??
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got up and walked out.
View Quote

I recorded and editted this one. I got the movie down to like 40 mins. Would have made a good after school movie.
View Quote

Thin Red Line had some good scenes, no doubt. The attack on the bunkers was excellent. You just had to sit through lots of crap to get to the good scenes . . .
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#30]

garandman said:
>...anything of British origin.
>

Actually, I really liked "Zulu" with Stanley Baker and Michael Caine.

Bad ones:
 Midway
 Flying Tigers
 Pearl Harbor

Good ones:
 Bridge too Far
 Longest Day

- CD
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#31]
My dad was in "Coming Home".

Film company couldn't find enough extras who
knew how to march, so they paid the UCLA ROTC
group to do it.

But I hear it was a lousy film.  I'd like to
see it and try to spot him, but I'm loathe
to let any rental money go to Jane Fonda, etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Bad:
A pox on the makers of "Starship Troopers"
(excelent book, insipid film)
~ Battlefield Earth
~ Sands of Iwo Jima (bad in a good way)
~ Pearl Harbor
 (WW2 was mainly sexual angst and explosions)

Good:
~ Tora, Tora, Tora! (Best war movie of all time)
~ Casablanca
~ Sgt. York
~ That movie about a British officers school    
 with Sir Alec Guinness.

Iffy:
Cross of Iron - Sam Peckinpah
 (See Pearl Harbor comments)
Enemy at the Gates
 (See Pearl Harbor comments)
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Hello.

I hated "Three Kings."

First, they stole the script from another movie (Kelly's Heroes)

Then they filled it with the worn Vietnam-movie cliches...bumbling Americans diddy-boppin' around blissfully ingnorant and stupid hurting themselves and the world.

Then they updated the soundtrack with rap music.

James
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#34]
One of the worst, if not the worst, is Platoon.  Hamburger Hill, We Were Soldiers, and a little known film called 36 Charley Mopic were far better Vietnam movies.  For WW II, I really liked A Bridge Too Far.  For all the stars, it was pretty accurate.  Bad WW II movies = Pearl Harbor (I agree with the observation one poster made about the sacrilige of Alec Baldwin playing Jimmy Dolittle) and Enemy At The Gates.  Both could have been great movies if they had just focused on the battles and left the unnecessary love stories out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Pearl Harbor.  I will never forget the opening of the review that Roger Ebert gave it:  [b]"It's a 2 hour movie packed into 3 hours about how, on December 7, 1941, Japan staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle."[/b]

Stupid freakin movie.

Any of those Chuck Norris movies were bad, especially 'Delta Force'.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
a little known film called 36 Charley Mopic were far better Vietnam movies.  
View Quote

84 Charley Mopic was an outstanding movie.  I caught it on PBS Great Performances or something like that one night.  I kept having to turn the channel because it was so disturbing to watch.

The story is about a LRRPs team from the 101st.  They are about to rotate out and are assigned to take an 84 Charley Mopic (motion picture cameraman) with them on their last patrol to document their methods and techniques.

The whole thing is filmed from a documentary point of view with a hand-held camera or at least a hand-held look.   Mopic asks a lot of questions and learns about the team.  THe team leader is a black sargent.  His best friend is a racist white guy from Louisianna or some such played by a character actor who you will often see playing an A-hole cop or military officer.  Most of us saw him as the jerk Ensign in Steve Segal's "Under Seige."  Mopic was his best work. His character is a raging contradiction, but he's also real plausible. Another character was a surfer dude and the 4th was a New York kid with an attitude.

The film follows the team as the friction builds up on them and they patrol starts to go to hell in a handbasket.  You feel EVERY casualty like an icepick in the chest.  The last scene is just plain awful to watch.   Right up there with watching Saving Private Ryan for emotional impact.

Search the movie out and watch it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh yeah, "Dark of the Sun".

Congolese civil war.  I need a copy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Too good movies got slammed unnecessarily.
Time for a little historical check here:

[b]"Strategic Air Command"[/b]

If you are viewing this film through 21st century eyes, you are watching it for all the wrong reasons. It can be interesting when taken in context. And that is as a Air Force cold war propaganda flick.

This film an aviation buff's delight with the aerial sequences of the massive, six-engined B-36, and the sleek, then-new B-47. The Air Force obviously provided enormous technical support, including then Air Force Reserve Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart as the lead character.

[b]"A Bridge Too Far"[/b]

The producer and director of this film focused so much on accurately portraying Operation Market Garden. My point is that, [b]as confirmed by the excellent History Channel's "History vs. Hollywood" review of this movie,[/b] [i]the legendary producer Joseph E. Levine spared no expense to create this movie as an accurate depiction of historic events.[/i] When combined with superb script, cast and director, "A Bridge Too Far" achieves what other great WW II epic movies do not - adherence to real people, action and factual honesty. It ranks right up there with (and perhaps past) "Patton". It should have been nominated for and won several Oscars.

Sadly, others do not recognize that excellence in historical films lies more in their truth than in their special effects.
View Quote

I have no problem with SAC... I like Jimmy Stewart, and one must realize it was as much an ad for SAC as a movie.

As for A Star Too Many, Ryan O'Neal as Brigadier General James Gavin was just a little more than I could stomach.  The movie would have been much better without all the Holywood heavyweights.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As for A Star Too Many, Ryan O'Neal as Brigadier General James Gavin was just a little more than I could stomach.  The movie would have been much better without all the Holywood heavyweights.
View Quote

Most movies need the star power to attract the crowds and at that time Ryan O'Neal was a big name.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Pearl Harbor (the most recent rendition)
Thin Red Line

Irritatingly bad, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I have to say any movie that hold's there weapons "SIDEWAYS" is totaly dumb!

SOLDIER BOYZ: is DUMB walk in a prison system
send convicts to war, yelling in there ear makes
them "all of the sudden I seen the light".
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Apocolypse Now?!  That is a great movie; one of the best Vietnam flicks ever!!

Bad War Movie:  Red Dawn.  Just full of cheesiness
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn!!!!  I am glad somebody else likes Apocalypse Now (I will admit some of it was cheesy and Robert Duvall is way cool).  I was really afraid nobody would mention Chuck Norris movies as the worst.  Colonels with shoulder length hair and no kevlar wandering around in what appears to be Hawaii.  Gack.  I also liked Seige of Firebase Gloria.  You just have to keep in mind that it is a "B" flick.  Got to agree on Thin Red Line blowing and I fell asleep during Pearl Harbor.  One of my favorites is Heartbreak Ridge, but then I am partial to USMC movies.  Oooh, almost forgot BHD as one of the good ones.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Thin Red Line
A Bridge Too Far
Apocalypse Now
Siege of Firebase Gloria

I thought all the above were good.  I can understand why most people hated TRL, though.  Everyone in the theatre was disappointed by it, I could tell.

Bataan: god-awful
1941: Spielberg's worst movie, IMO. though it's more of a comedy than a combat movie.
Pearl Harbor: A guy I went to high school's in the movie, he actually got to say a line.  I only watched the attack, skipped the rest.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#46]
While I agree with many of the other nominations.

mine has to go to John milnus's...

RED DAWN

Better known as, "Soviets in Toyland"

John, having bought into the idea, that a for some strange reason a Soviet invasion of the Continental United States, would ever be possible...

Ok lets drop four to five divisions of Paratroopers in the middle of Colorado, expect them to live off the land, until such time as a Soviet and Latin American Army fights its way thru Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Oklahoma to relieve them...Somebody mentioned A Bidge to Far in an earlier post...This sort of Soviet Airborne invasion of the U.S. would have made Market Garden look like a absolute piece of military genius by comparison. Can you say LARGEST AIRBORNE SLAUGHTER IN HISTORY!!!

Ad to this the fact that Milnus decides that American freedom fighters will look just like Afganistani Muhajadeen...One of the strangest movie notions ever, And of course, that all the American adults are helpless victims, waiting to be saved by a band of brat pack teeny boppers being fast tracked into other staring roles.

Yes, Red Dawn has to be my recomendation for Alice in Wonderland War movie of all time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
"Casualties of War"
I didn't see that POS mentioned. How can there be a list of bad war movies without it? How can any discussion about Hollywood anti American propaganda be complete without it? Don't forget Capt. Dale Dye was right there in the middle of it playing the evil company commander. Liberal or not actors are whores who will sell themselves for money. Capt. Dye included. Even R. Lee Ermey played a homosexual in Saving Silverman. Jesus H. Christ! he kissed Jack Black on the mouth! The movie was funny as hell BTW.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Apocolypse Now??  Its one of the better war movies, and probably the best of the Vietnam movies (haven't seen the Mel flick yet).  Matter of fact, the only Vietnam movie better than Apocolypse Now is Apocolypse Now (Redux).  Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are great, too.

View Quote

Apocalypse Now was little more than a pathetic attempt at a psychological thriller set in Vietnam.  It has absolutely zero history to support but very small portions of it.  It represented American soldiers over there as egomaniacs and homicidal psychopaths.  One of the better liberal "American soldiers are evil baby murderers and we should all love the commies because they are cool and we suck" movies.

Full Metal Jacket was made by a man who publicly stated that he thought American soldiers were criminals.  All of the vets I've talked to state that the "war" part was pure crap.  The Marine vets said that the only halfway accurate part of the film was the BT sequence.

Platoon has raised the ire of almost every Vietnam-Vet I've [i]ever[/i] talked to (including grandfather, uncles, teachers, etc.).  They say it is abolute crap.  My French teacher in high school was a retired Army LTC who served 2 tours in Vietnam.  Basically he stated that Platoon was what Stone reinvented the war to be.  The characters, "uniforms," lingo, and weaponry were [b]all[/b] wrong.  The total lack of military discipline also threw him for a loop (you get the impression that all of them are poor slaves who are victims of oppression because of the war), which makes sense when you figure in the fact that the Vietnam War had more volunteers than any war in our history.  This same LTC stated that the best Vietnam War movie he had ever seen was Hamburger Hill.  He said that the weapons, lingo, attitudes, discipline, and history were all right on the money.  He should know, he was with the 101st.

From what I've gathered so far, We Were Slodiers (the Mel Gibson flick) has subplanted Hamburger Hill as the most accurate Vietnam War film.

Edited to add:  "We Were Soldiers.....and Young" (the basis for the movie) was one of the best books I have ever read.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While I agree with many of the other nominations.

mine has to go to John milnus's...

RED DAWN

Better known as, "Soviets in Toyland"

John, having bought into the idea, that a for some strange reason a Soviet invasion of the Continental United States, would ever be possible...

Ok lets drop four to five divisions of Paratroopers in the middle of Colorado, expect them to live off the land, until such time as a Soviet and Latin American Army fights its way thru Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Oklahoma to relieve them...Somebody mentioned A Bidge to Far in an earlier post...This sort of Soviet Airborne invasion of the U.S. would have made Market Garden look like a absolute piece of military genius by comparison. Can you say LARGEST AIRBORNE SLAUGHTER IN HISTORY!!!

Ad to this the fact that Milnus decides that American freedom fighters will look just like Afganistani Muhajadeen...One of the strangest movie notions ever, And of course, that all the American adults are helpless victims, waiting to be saved by a band of brat pack teeny boppers being fast tracked into other staring roles.

Yes, Red Dawn has to be my recomendation for Alice in Wonderland War movie of all time.
View Quote

Blasphemy!

Yeah an invasion is pretty much implausable, but then it has to be said that in the story the USA has been nuked a bunch of times, so...
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Although I'm a huge fan without a doubt the worst for me is John Wayne's, "Green Berets"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top