Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Worst "War" movie?  Arguably......War Of The Roses!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Even R. Lee Ermey played a homosexual in Saving Silverman. Jesus H. Christ! he kissed Jack Black on the mouth! The movie was funny as hell BTW.
View Quote

Ermey's homosexual awakening was pure comic genius.  Most know that he was a hard-nosed Marine DI, so the fact that such a man would play a fag is fucking hilarious.  That doesn't make him a whore, that makes him a hardass with a really good sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I love Lee Ermey but Firebase Gloria just plain sucked.

The worst adaptation of a book has to be Hunt For Red October---Awesome book, the movie only did about half of it, ridiculus casting (Sean Connery as a Russian, A bALDWIN AS THE HERO).
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Although I'm a huge fan without a doubt the worst for me is John Wayne's, "Green Berets"
View Quote

Yup. This the one I was hoping to see. Pure propaganda! Get's my vote for worst.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Worst "War" movie?  Arguably......War Of The Roses!!!
View Quote

Which one?

The movie that chronicalled the English Civil War, or that stupid divorce flick?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The stupid divorce flick that takes place in the English Civil War!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Apocalypse Now was little more than a pathetic attempt at a psychological thriller set in Vietnam.  It has absolutely zero history to support but very small portions of it.  It represented American soldiers over there as egomaniacs and homicidal psychopaths.  One of the better liberal "American soldiers are evil baby murderers and we should all love the commies because they are cool and we suck" movies.
View Quote

Apocalypse Now was written by one of the most rabidly conservative and certainly the most pro-gun writer in Hollywood, John Milius. He based it on the book Heart of Darkness, written by Joseph Conrad, who himself based it in Darkest Africa during the Ivory trade wars. The portrayal is exactly as you stated, set in and during the Vietnam war. Personally, I've never been able to not wince inwardly whenever I hear F.F. Coppola state that "This isn't a movie about the war in Vietnam... It is Vietnam" when he was introducing it at Cannes in '78, but I think that the most valid point is the one you made yourself, about it being a psycho-drama.

Personally, I love it. I've seen it three times in theaters, (most recently the "Redux"), have it both on VHS, and the Redux version on DVD, and have personally watched it over 30 times. Sheen's work as the ice cold Spook/Black Ops type, Duvall's Col. Kilgore, the attention to detail in the writing... what's not to love about this flick (besides Brando)?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
didn't Green Berets have a sunset scene where the sun is out over the ocean?
too bad the coast of vietnam is on the east
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Full Metal Jacket was made by a man who publicly stated that he thought American soldiers were criminals.  All of the vets I've talked to state that the "war" part was pure crap.  The Marine vets said that the only halfway accurate part of the film was the BT sequence.
View Quote

In college I had two roommates who had fathers who were Marine DIs [i]and[/i] 'nam vets. Both loved FMJ. They both said the BT part was excellent (with one exception: the killing of the DI would have [i]never[/i] happened). They both though the combat part was OK (they never saw any combat scene which they thought was excellent--this was pre 1990, can't say what they would think about newer war movies). They both hated Platoon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Pearl Harbor- I wish I had gone to the dentist. I can't even imagine what Pearl Vets thought. The Arizona probably turned over again.

Green Berets- I never could take John Wayne seriously. "Out here diplomacy is a bullet in the head." OK tough guy. Show me how it's done, old man.

Red Dawn- a cartoon. "Wolverines!" Shut, up and die already. I was rooting for the Russians on this one.

Ones I like:
Apocalypse Now: Come on, the cinematography alone is worth it. "Hueys, lots of Hueys." So what if Martin sheen doesn't like guns? I have mine.

Bridge Too Far: Not perfect, but was it horrible? As mentioned, they didn't embellish on this one. Check out the airborne drop scene: beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Since you guys have pretty well covered most of the bad and the good, I'm gonna throw in one I saw on PBS "Masterpiece Theatre" awhile back. It was called "A Piece of Cake," and it followed an RAF (NOT the Moderator) fighter squadron from the first days of WW2 through the Battle of Britain, in a 3-part miniseries. It wasn't real heavy on action, but it was very good. And Garandman.......it was made in the UK.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Starship Troopers=Book was MUCH BETTER!!
Battlefield Earth=Book was okay. If Travolta had got financing when he could have played Johnny Goodboy Tyler, it probably would have been better...

Red Dawn is okay IF you suspend belief enough to accept that the U.S. could be invaded in such a manner. We now know the true way to invade America is in a trickle across our sieve-like borders...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#15]
84 Charlie MoPic...  YIKES!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Thin Red Line for the Snooze Factor!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#17]
"The English Patient"

Talk about evil...
The trailer shows German Troops parachuting into North Africa.
Just to lure us in, and make us watch a lame chick-flick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1941: Spielberg's worst movie, IMO. though it's more of a comedy than a combat movie.
View Quote

Hate to burst your bubble... But 1941 [b]IS[/b] a comedy. One of my favorite films by-the-way. Always something new everytime you watch it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#19]
The Thin Red LINE  SUCKED!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:48:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Battle Force with Henry Fonda.  OMG that was an absolutely terrible movie.  Have to agree with Pearl Harbor and Thin Red Line as being stool looseners.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In college I had two roommates who had fathers who were Marine DIs [i]and[/i] 'nam vets. Both loved FMJ. They both said the BT part was excellent (with one exception: the killing of the DI would have [i]never[/i] happened). They both though the combat part was OK (they never saw any combat scene which they thought was excellent--this was pre 1990, can't say what they would think about newer war movies). They both hated Platoon.
View Quote

Interesting that they didn't like Platoon.  It's the only Vietnam movie that was made by an actual Vietnam grunt (Oliver Stone), as far as I know.  I loved FMJ, too.  Most of the others were just too damned wierd, or plain crap.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#22]
"Peacemaker" with George CLOWN-y.
The only movie I ever walked out of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Apocolypse Now??  Its one of the better war movies, and probably the best of the Vietnam movies (haven't seen the Mel flick yet).  Matter of fact, the only Vietnam movie better than Apocolypse Now is Apocolypse Now (Redux).  Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are great, too.

As far as the worst are concerned...

Pearl Horror
-Alec Baldwin????
Thin Red Plot  
-the amazing, never ending movie...
Enema at the Gates
-delayed trip-wire explosions??
View Quote
Total horsepuckey.  'A Pack of Lips Now' was a disgrace to anyone who was there.  It did, as mentioned, portray GIs as a bunch of crazed killers.  You reel in horror at Alec Baldwin in 'Pearl Harbor', well how about Martin Sheen in 'A Pack of Lies Now'?

'Enemy at the Gates' at least was mostly factual, unlike 'A Pack of Loosers Now'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Perl Harbor,  I havn't seen it and I understand what is wrong with it. But I have to tell you this story:

One of my customers was the grumpiest man alive he was a Marine in WWII and I guess he is seventy something now, but anywho , He loves this movie... In fact he fell in love with the chick in perl harbor. Which I guess is something alright because it made him happy, his wife is terribly sick and I guess it was good for him to get to day dream a little....

One time I sold him some bad ribs, that weren't bad, but he thought they were and he comes up to me and says,"This is shit.", and I say, "Oh horseshit." ; and that is when our friendship started...  

I liked Platoon and FMJ, I didn't get any anti-war vibe out of it...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Did anyone like "Windtalkers"?

I thought it was OK but John Woo(the director) is better off making gangsta' type flicks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Battlefield Earth.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Firebirds" a goofy ho with big assed ears flys a chopper. He boyfriend can't see straight without her panties on his head.  They fight the Swedish air force in south America.
View Quote

Yeah, I remember seeing that in the theatre going "What the fu..?"
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Black Hawk Down

Scott

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ghandi, not enough belt fed machineguns.
View Quote

[:D]
Speaking of Gandhi, here's a great quote of his that you can throw at anti-gunners:
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
In short, if Gandhi would've had access to arms he would have used them [;)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even R. Lee Ermey played a homosexual in Saving Silverman. Jesus H. Christ! he kissed Jack Black on the mouth! The movie was funny as hell BTW.
View Quote

Ermey's homosexual awakening was pure comic genius.  Most know that he was a hard-nosed Marine DI, so the fact that such a man would play a fag is fucking hilarious.  That doesn't make him a whore, that makes him a hardass with a really good sense of humor.
View Quote

You gotta give credits to someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously. Reminds me of the best Marine-joke I ever heard, which BTW was told to me by a Marine (so no flaming please) - "Why do they put Marines on ships? Sheep would be to obvious." [;)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You gotta give credits to someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously. Reminds me of the best Marine-joke I ever heard, which BTW was told to me by a Marine (so no flaming please) - "Why do they put Marines on ships? Sheep would be to obvious." [;)]
View Quote
[rocket]

YOU[rail]ME
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did anyone like "Windtalkers"?
View Quote

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Gasoline grenades, Nicholas Cage hitting everything that comes at him with his 1911. i know the Japanese weren't the best trained troops ever, but give me a break!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
[rocket]

YOU[rail]ME
View Quote

Guess you missed the "..the best Marine-joke I ever heard, [b]which BTW was told to me by a Marine (so no flaming please)[/b]"-part of my post, huh?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Black Hawk Down

View Quote

no one is coing to comment on this?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Hawk Down

View Quote

View Quote

Well, it's a silly thing to say.  I just didn't want to embarrass him by pointing it out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Hawk Down

View Quote

View Quote

I, for one, will not take the bait.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#37]
i didnt like saving private ryan

sure the opening was great but after that it went down hill. imho
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#38]
worst war movie of all time : Thin Red Line!  

not good : We're soldiers

good : Enemy at the gates, Blackhawk down

best : Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
worst war movie of all time : Thin Red Line!  

not good : We're soldiers

good : Enemy at the gates, Blackhawk down

best : Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan
View Quote
You didn't like 'We Were Soldiers Then'?  Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I saw We were Soldiers when it was Brave Heart and again when it was The Patriot. By the time he remade those with We were Soldiers, the sight of Mel Gibson was giving me serious gas. It's a very compelling story that was not told well in my opinion. It just had a feeling of being made according to a Smell Gibson/Hollywood war movie formula I wouldn't include in on a list of worst war movies. There are so many others much more deserving.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Hawk Down

View Quote

View Quote

I, for one, will not take the bait.
View Quote

Didn't see it,can't comment but, I've "heard" things.
AB
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Geez, I read through four pages and could not believe nobody nominated the true worst war movie ever made. The winner is, "Inchon". This was an appalling movie with a horrible script, poor acting (from Laurence Olivier, Ben Gazarra, etc.) This is the film that had US Marines landing at Inchon armed with 98k Mausers yet dressed out with Garand belts. Continuity was non-existent, In one sequence Ben Gazarra's character was armed with an M3 SMG that randomly turned into a German MP40 (!), and back throughout the sequence. I guarantee, anybody who sits through this piece of c---, will re-evaluate their choices.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Black Hawk Down

Scott

View Quote

I thought "Black Hawk Down sucked."  Yah sure it had bunch of guys running around with guns
but thats about it.  If I was to judge the movie by its content and the story line, I would rate it very low.  I'm sure they spent lots of money making that movie but they skimped on hiring actors with good acting skills.  I'm not sure if the movie "Sniper" is considered a "war" movie but I thought it was the worst I've seen.  But after watching it, I become fascinated with becoming a sniper.  I bought my Rem700PSS as a result and thought about building a ghillie too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Inchon is definitly the worst one to see.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought "Black Hawk Down sucked."  Yah sure it had bunch of guys running around with guns
but thats about it.  If I was to judge the movie by its content and the story line, I would rate it very low.
View Quote

Of course that ignores the inconvenient (for you) reality that the "story line" was factual.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Blachawk down would make a good documentary, because in the absence of a narrative to support the action on the screen it is hard to make sense of what is going on... There are four/five subplots which you can keep track of if you are reading the book, but completely impossible to get just watching the movie.  
So much is happening in that same amount of time that it is impossible to tell the story in 2 hours...  You are at the column and then you are back with Sgt Eversman , then on to the Delta guys with the Ranger Col. then back to the chopper.  And that is after they removed some characters and combined others.. Its just too much.. No movie type program can portray it properly.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pearl Harbor.  I will never forget the opening of the review that Roger Ebert gave it:  [b]"It's a 2 hour movie packed into 3 hours about how, on December 7, 1941, Japan staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle."[/b]
View Quote

Hahahahahahaaaaa!

I saw it with a group of guys I work with one day since we were bored.

We ended up waking each other up when the bombs started dropping and the bullets started flying since the love story was so thick we about forgot about the sneak attack.

An OK movie as long as you weren't expecting anything historical or real to happen.  I think I heard someone once compare the dogfight scene over Pearl with the Tie fighters and X-Wing battle from the original Star Wars movie. :>

Anyway Kate Beckinsale is *ahem* good looking, so that was small compensation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm suprised no one even mentioned the WORST!!! and i mean the WORST EVER!! are the rambo series of movies.. nuf said  :-)
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Full Metal Jacket was made by a man who publicly stated that he thought American soldiers were criminals.  All of the vets I've talked to state that the "war" part was pure crap.  The Marine vets said that the only halfway accurate part of the film was the BT sequence.
View Quote

My dad and one of his friends, both who were  Vietnam Vets who saw heavy action, said that the Boot Camp part was almost dead on. They said that the war part was so-so.

As for the worst war movie, i dunno. Apocalypse Now sucked, except for the Huey part.

As for the Best, I think BHD is the best. Followed by We Were Soldiers. Hamburger Hill was good too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but thats about it.  If I was to judge the movie by its content and the story line, I would rate it very low.
View Quote

Of course that ignores the inconvenient (for you) reality that the "story line" was factual.
View Quote
 Yah, but its "based on true story."  How accurately did the producers portray the actual event?  I'm sure those of whom that served in Mogadishu thought the movie sucked.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top