Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 2:51:13 PM EDT
Took a few hours. I'm definitely not a wood crafter by any stretch of the word!

It's sturdy and I made it, that's all that matters to me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:54:46 PM EDT
Very Nice...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:58:14 PM EDT
That turned out so nice I'd have to stain it
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:23:58 PM EDT
That is really nice!

You might want to get come cheap 3/8ths fiberboard as a disposable top...mess that up and just replace it to protect the table top.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:34:31 PM EDT
Very Nice !
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 4:51:48 PM EDT by audimurf]
nice and clean with the pocket holes.

I would make an open box about 6" wide and the depth of the bench and attach it to the right side for your smithing tools.

ETA: Middle of the page.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:32:44 PM EDT
Only thing I do differently is to run the long stretchers through the paired 2x4 legs.
3/4 inch deep on each side.
Adds a lot of strength with tight joints. Tight enough the stretchers have to be tapped in place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:01:29 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brickeyee:
Only thing I do differently is to run the long stretchers through the paired 2x4 legs.
Adds a lot of strength with tight joints. Tight enough the stretchers have to be tapped in place.
View Quote

Legs are 4x4's.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:02:04 PM EDT
Looks good! I put a small lip/edge on the back so items didn't roll off the back and behind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:29:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fishstix:
Looks good! I put a small lip/edge on the back so items didn't roll off the back and behind.
View Quote

I plan to put some support 2x4's and this on the back.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/pick-racks-wall-panels/louvered-wall-panel-without-bins-48-x-19?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CPzyjsjb3r4CFXTl7AodVg4A3w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:43:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PzIvF2s:
That is really nice!

You might want to get come cheap 3/8ths fiberboard as a disposable top...mess that up and just replace it to protect the table top.
View Quote

im gonna second this. only id put 2 layers on for a little more "beat on" durability
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2014 11:29:47 AM EDT by JQ66]
Originally Posted By peekay:

Legs are 4x4's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Legs are 4x4's.

I think the guy meant to say use mortise and tenons for joinery. Pegged mortices (with dowels) even better - old barns stood for a hundred year with this joinery method, no glue or screws. But it is a little more involved, but it can be done with simple hand tools with a little care.
The top seams a little thin. It looks like 3/4" pine? If you really need to torque something down with that vise, like putting on a barrel nut, it may not hold. Two layers of 3/4" flooring plywood glued and screwed to make a thicker lamination would be better.
Also the location of the bench vise so far back makes adjusting it awkward.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 7:54:54 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
It is easy to do mortise and tenon joinery and the benefits are many. I don't understand why some people think it's difficult. I think it's a fear factor. There are many ways to do it, from chisel and mallet to a mortising machine,.. and everything in between.

No offense meant to the OP, my comment is meant to be generic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:15:04 AM EDT

Legs are 4x4's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Legs are 4x4's.

Two 2x4s is easier and better.
Top Top