Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 2:51:13 PM EDT
Took a few hours. I'm definitely not a wood crafter by any stretch of the word!

It's sturdy and I made it, that's all that matters to me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Very Nice...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
That turned out so nice I'd have to stain it
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That is really nice!

You might want to get come cheap 3/8ths fiberboard as a disposable top...mess that up and just replace it to protect the table top.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Very Nice !
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
nice and clean with the pocket holes.

I would make an open box about 6" wide and the depth of the bench and attach it to the right side for your smithing tools.

ETA: Middle of the page.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Only thing I do differently is to run the long stretchers through the paired 2x4 legs.
3/4 inch deep on each side.
Adds a lot of strength with tight joints. Tight enough the stretchers have to be tapped in place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only thing I do differently is to run the long stretchers through the paired 2x4 legs.

Adds a lot of strength with tight joints. Tight enough the stretchers have to be tapped in place.

View Quote

Legs are 4x4's.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good! I put a small lip/edge on the back so items didn't roll off the back and behind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Looks good! I put a small lip/edge on the back so items didn't roll off the back and behind.
View Quote

I plan to put some support 2x4's and this on the back.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/pick-racks-wall-panels/louvered-wall-panel-without-bins-48-x-19?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CPzyjsjb3r4CFXTl7AodVg4A3w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is really nice!

You might want to get come cheap 3/8ths fiberboard as a disposable top...mess that up and just replace it to protect the table top.
View Quote

im gonna second this. only id put 2 layers on for a little more "beat on" durability
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Legs are 4x4's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legs are 4x4's.

I think the guy meant to say use mortise and tenons for joinery.  Pegged mortices (with dowels) even better - old barns stood for a hundred year with this joinery method, no glue or screws.  But it is a little more involved, but it can be done with simple hand tools with a little care.  
The top seams a little thin.  It looks like 3/4" pine?  If you really need to torque something down with that vise, like putting on a barrel nut, it may not hold.  Two layers of 3/4" flooring plywood glued and screwed to make a thicker lamination would be better.
Also the location of the bench vise so far back makes adjusting it awkward.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It is easy to do mortise and tenon joinery and the benefits are many.  I don't understand why some people think it's difficult.  I think it's a fear factor.  There are many ways to do it, from chisel and mallet to a mortising machine,.. and everything in between.

No offense meant to the OP, my comment is meant to be generic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Legs are 4x4's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legs are 4x4's.

Two 2x4s is easier and better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top