BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2007 1:20:20 PM EDT
Are they not civilians also?

They are not in the military...

Is this further evidence of the militarization of our police force?

Does it indicate a "us versus them" mentality in the police force?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
They've seen Robocop too many times.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
............IBTL

ETA.My first, First IBTL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What gun is thar Pacino is holding?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never heard a cop call citizens "civilians"

Now what about military AND LE?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Because many seem not to realize that they are also civilians.

However, most probably just use it because it is an easy way to refer to people who aren't cops. You may not agree with their definition of civilian, but it makes it clear who they are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
they are gods you lowly civie..  

< runs to get popcorn .. >

they think they are better then you and me.  

Plain and simple.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted: Why do LEO's refer to citizens as "civilians"...

Because they're totally hip and have all that full auto shit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
who cares
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the moral difference, if any, between a Citizen and a Civilian?

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
."
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
if I were a cop I'd go to gun shows and go from table to table referring to all non-LE as 'civies"

"you civies don't get the real firepower like we LEOs get, huh?"

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A Citizen has the moral responsibility to protect the body politic by serving.  A civilian does not...
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares

Stop oppressing me!!

Seriously who cares? I know about a billion cops and I've never heard them call anyone a civilian.

I always refer to myself as "civilian law enforcement".  I was a soldier; I know the difference.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
In the 80's,  there was a name the stoners had for non-tokers... Reds.  At least at my H.S.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
if I were a cop I'd go to gun shows and go from table to table referring to all non-LE as 'civies"

"you civies don't get the real firepower like we LEOs get, huh?"

I would totally do that if it weren't for that thing about impersonating a law enforcement officer being illegal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Because cops are not civilians.

ci·vil·ian      /sɪˈvɪlyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[si-vil-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.  
2. Informal. anyone regarded by members of a profession, interest group, society, etc., as not belonging; nonprofessional; outsider: We need a producer to run the movie studio, not some civilian from the business world.  
3. a person versed in or studying Roman or civil law.  
–adjective 4. of, pertaining to, formed by, or administered by civilians
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
What about the fed's? What do they get to call me, besides 'Guilty'...or...'Stud'?

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]
They have cool sunglasses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
cuz we refer to them as bacon
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never used the term like that before.  I've never said "Citizens, please stand back" or something totally ghey like that.  Now, I've jumped in someone's stuff if they cross CLEARLY MARKED barriers such as tape barriers, etc.  At that point, they have no right to come into an area marked off.  I've still never looked at it as a police vs citizens thing, anyway.  You know its really us vs all of you

But as mentioned above, according to the technical definition we aren't.  Neither are firefighters.....how come this thread wasn't titled "Why aren't firefighters considered civilians?"

I've heard that used more by VOLUNTEER firefighters than anything else, not even the full time guys use it.  These are the volunteer guys that also have more strobes and LED lights on their personal vehicles than I have in my Crown Vic.  They fill in a hole that's needed in society, but damn.  Not all of them, but you all know the ones I am talking about.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Contrary to popular belief, I rarely hear the word civilian used (been a LEO for 12 years).  Now, “Maggot – Scrot – Fuzz Nutt – Yard Weasel – Mouth Breather”…………that’s another story.........
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh for fucks sake.  We use it as a term to basically say non LE personnel.  That's it nothing more.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Oh for fucks sake.  We use it as a term to basically say non LE personnel.  That's it nothing more.  

But why can't we be citizens? I want to be called a citizen.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've never used the term like that before.  I've never said "Citizens, please stand back" or something totally ghey like that.  Now, I've jumped in someone's stuff if they cross CLEARLY MARKED barriers such as tape barriers, etc.  At that point, they have no right to come into an area marked off.  I've still never looked at it as a police vs citizens thing, anyway.  You know its really us vs all of you

But as mentioned above, according to the technical definition we aren't.  Neither are firefighters.....how come this thread wasn't titled "Why aren't firefighters considered civilians?"
When I was on the FD, we used it.  "Civilians just don't get the sense of humor" etc. The only people I know that make a deal out of it, are civilians
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because cops are citizens too! Now GO KILL SOME BUGS!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares

Stop oppressing me!!

Seriously who cares? I know about a billion cops and I've never heard them call anyone a civilian.
Some of you guys just worry about dumb stuff. So let's say the secret code word goes out and the police leap up ready to round us up and ship us off in cattle cars to those secret UN indoctrination centers located under every Wal mart. So what? There are 44 police officers in my town of about 18,000. That's one cop for every 409 people. Even assuming 3/4's of those are women, children and guy's too hung over to fight, that's still 100 guys-okay 40% are Democrats so that's still 60 guys with rifles, plus the one rogue cop is probably going to shoot himself to avoid having to listen to the blathering of the 40 Democrats he rounds up first thing.

Venture across the street to the Brothers of the Shield Forum.  Hell, just do a search on the forum and see how many hits you find for 'civilian'.  If that bullshit didn't float to the top of the active topics forum, I would never see it, or comment about it.  

I have eye witnessed local command staff give verbal warnings to officers when they refer to the public as 'civilian' because it does fester the 'them vs us' mentality.  

People vote.  They elect the Sheriff, and they elect the Mayor, who hires the Police chief.  Impression is everything and in this world of political correctness facism, that is a word I would like to see become a hot button for these folks, kinda like many other famous inflamatory words that are banned ON THIS SITE.  LEOs calling the general public 'civilians' offends me much more than this site's banned words, so you must ban the use of the word civilian in that context!

Hell, what will it take, a picture of some civilian toilet paper???
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't - my mini 14 jammed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
This is worth a second post.  I can't fucking believe I got that in before the lock.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't - my mini 14 jammed.
lol, I read somewhere that all their weapons were AC556s with the cheapo stock put into those cool ones.  Any truth to it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
More people getting butt-hurt over this than their first visit to a bathhouse
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#36]
You know, I don't think it means the same thing to them that it does to you

Yeah, it is still an "us vs them" mindset, but IMO it is more about
training, experience, licensing and the joys of being "on duty"

When they are TRYING to be derogatory they use words like "turd"
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#37]
What else do you want non-emergency responders to be called then?

As a firefighter, we often refer to those who are not directly involved with addressing the particular incident as "civilians". Its not meant as an insult, or to say we are "military" or some such BS, its simply an easy and quick way of adressing those who arent supposed to be involved with dealing with an emergency.

Sorry if that makes your wee-wee hurt.

Btw I thought arfcommers hated PC bullcrap like this? I mean we all want freedom of speech and the ability to insult the ROP and the ME without regard to anyones feelings, but God forbid someone who isnt actually in the military call us a "civilian".

ETA

Oh and after reading the thread I guess we should all start saying "citizens" instead. Least we insult an arfcommer. Or is that too degrading as well

I guess I should add I have never called someone a civilian to thier face, or seen anyone else do that. Usually its used on the radio or in command to try and be clear and consise. aka "Could we have LE make sure that no civilians enter south street?" etc
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Citizen has the moral responsibility to protect the body politic by serving.  A civilian does not...

The exact words of the text.  But do you believe it?  Do you feel it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Oh and after reading the thread I guess we should all start saying "Citizens" instead. Least we insult an Arfcommer. Or is that too degrading as well

Fixt

ETA: Yeah, that made my wee-wee hurt
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

ci·vil·ian      /sɪˈvɪlyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[si-vil-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.  
2. Informal. anyone regarded by members of a profession, interest group, society, etc., as not belonging; nonprofessional; outsider: We need a producer to run the movie studio, not some civilian from the business world.  

That about sums it up!  Of course we could discuss why Webster is incorrect.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares

Stop oppressing me!!

Some of you guys just worry about dumb stuff. So let's say the secret code word goes out and the police leap up ready to round us up and ship us off in cattle cars to those secret UN indoctrination centers located under every Wal mart. So what? There are 44 police officers in my town of about 18,000. That's one cop for every 409 people. Even assuming 3/4's of those are women, children and guy's too hung over to fight, that's still 100 guys-okay 40% are Democrats so that's still 60 guys with rifles, plus the one rogue cop is probably going to shoot himself to avoid having to listen to the blathering of the 40 Democrats he rounds up first thing.

That is f'in wonderful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That about sums it up!  Of course we could discuss why Webster is incorrect.  

SOP for these threads is to go find the dictionary definition that does not include the police in its definition. There is also some bit about you have to be subject to the UCMJ that gets touted. I don't see how it matters one way or the other.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#43]
It's not militrization.
It's not us vs them.

It's ARF.com members with their panties in a bunch.

Not every one is a citizen, yet everyone is a civilian. Including the police.

Oh and those firemen, EMS, nurses and doc's also refer to you as civilians.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I call everyone who stumbles onto my construction site a civilian if they aint a trade
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Around here, it's "citizen," as in "A citizen approached and said that . . . ."
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Around here, it's "citizen," as in "A citizen approached and said that . . . ."

Official report writing.

You know in real life all the cops sit around eating doughnuts, plotting to take the civilians weapons and ship them off to internment camps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Because they know that some poor slob with nothing better to do than get his knickers in a wad over it will get his knickers in a wad over it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Is this further evidence of the militarization of our police force?

With shit like this caught on tape it's hard for them to deny it any more.

VIDEO LINK
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#49]
tag for LULZ
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#50]
LOL, are you not a civilian?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top